106 replies to this topic

#1 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

I gotta say Don Mattingly. I feel bad for fantasy owners who have RP on the Dodgers. None of them will have arms left by July. Jansen is pitching in back to back games, where the Dodgers were losing by 5+ runs. Does Don know how a bullpen works?!

A close second would be Mike Scosia.
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#2 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,829 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Joe Maddon.  Starting Sam Fuld is already awful, but stuffing him into the 2 hole a handful of times is the the worst managing of the season.  His undying man crush on that loser is just head scratching.

#3 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostCmilne23, on 18 April 2013 - 12:50 AM, said:

Joe Maddon.  Starting Sam Fuld is already awful, but stuffing him into the 2 hole a handful of times is the the worst managing of the season.  His undying man crush on that loser is just head scratching.

Wow. Great call. I totally forgot about Joe and his man crush on Fuld. I think even if the Rays called Myers and Guyer up, he'd still somehow work Fuld into the line-up

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist

Minors- Taveras

RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#4 Vestrogen

Vestrogen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

View Postcapattack, on 18 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Wow. Great call. I totally forgot about Joe and his man crush on Fuld. I think even if the Rays called Myers and Guyer up, he'd still somehow work Fuld into the line-up
What does he see in Fuld? I've been trying to figure this out. I just traded him to some guy because I think he's totally underwhelming, but he gets consistent play time.

#5 soxallday6

soxallday6

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

Ned Yost seem to cant make up his mind

on his batting orders or anything else, guys a dbag and got the right name for one

#6 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostVestrogen, on 18 April 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

View Postcapattack, on 18 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

What does he see in Fuld? I've been trying to figure this out. I just traded him to some guy because I think he's totally underwhelming, but he gets consistent play time.

Kind of like what does Mattingly see in Cruz/Seller/Uribe that Dee Gordon can't do? Even Dee can hit .181 or .108.

As for Fuld, Joe is crazy. So who knows. He probably likes the cut of his suit or how he bends the brims on his hats...something crazy.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist

Minors- Taveras

RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#7 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

This is the STRANGEST display of belief in a player or loyalty that I have EVER witnessed in my life.  It's quite baffling for sure...I mean, Fuld is batting under .100 I'm pretty sure...maybe .050???  LOL...so strange.
"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#8 jv35

jv35

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

View Postcapattack, on 18 April 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

As for Fuld, Joe is crazy. So who knows. He probably likes the cut of his suit or how he bends the brims on his hats...something crazy.

The Fuld-Superman cape giveaway from a few years ago raises his WAR to over 9000.  Everyone knows that.

I'd like to nominate Jim Leyland for the Award of Weirdest Mancrush.  He constantly finds ABs for Don Kelly, even though there is no reason.  In 2011, he would start Kelly in RF on days when Maggs needed a day off, but he wouldn't change the order, so Kelly also hit in Maggs' 3rd spot in the lineup.  It was (and is) disgusting.  Throughout his Tigers career, he has played every position.  He even pitched in a blowout.  Even though he can play every position, he is average at best defensively, and he can't hit much.
Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals. - Bender

#9 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,829 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postjv35, on 18 April 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

View Postcapattack, on 18 April 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

The Fuld-Superman cape giveaway from a few years ago raises his WAR to over 9000.  Everyone knows that.

I'd like to nominate Jim Leyland for the Award of Weirdest Mancrush.  He constantly finds ABs for Don Kelly, even though there is no reason.  In 2011, he would start Kelly in RF on days when Maggs needed a day off, but he wouldn't change the order, so Kelly also hit in Maggs' 3rd spot in the lineup.  It was (and is) disgusting.  Throughout his Tigers career, he has played every position.  He even pitched in a blowout.  Even though he can play every position, he is average at best defensively, and he can't hit much.

LOL, I hate Leyland's old school managing techniques.  He doesn't switch up the batting order, when he gives a guy a day off, said loser who is filling in that day assumes the players spot he is taking.  Its so weird and ridiculous.  Its like he truly feels guys hit because they have a certain number next to there name in the lineup.  God forbid you move a few guys up or down a spot for a day to move said loser down in the order where he belongs.

#10 techmd

techmd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I think you would just name this the commemorative Ron Washington award. He's never seen a matchup split that he understood nor a runner on 1st no outs that didn't need to be bunted over.

But that got me thinking... does anyone like their manager and consider them tactically sound on gameday decisions?

Edited by techmd, 18 April 2013 - 10:27 AM.

H2H, 12 Team, ReDraft, 1st Pick, 6x6 OPS, Reg Season Champ
C: Santana (7.1)
1B: Goldschmidt (3.1)
2B: Phillips (4.12)
SS: Segura
3B: Miggy (1.1)
OF: J. Upton (2.12), OF: Choo (6.12), OF: Gordon (8.12)
Uti: C.Davis (11.1), Uti: Rizzo (t)
BN: R. Davis
SP: Scherzer (t), Grienke(5.1), H.Bailey(14.12), Kluber, Ryu(16.12), Cole
RP: Perkins(15.1), Mujica, Cishek(17.1), Farquhar, Hawkins, Melancon

#11 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

I was at the Brewers/Cardinals game Sunday and Ron Roenicke bunted first and third, 9th inning, nobody out in a tied game with Aoki. It wasn't a squeeze and a safety squeeze would have been real hard to pull off with the whole infield in. Aoki, who had been hitting bullets all day, failed at the first attempt and tried again only to foul out to the catcher. Predictably the Brewers don't score the go ahead run and should have lost the game.

Getting paid millions of dollars to manage baseball, what a life.

#12 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Posttechmd, on 18 April 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I think you would just name this the commemorative Ron Washington award. He's never seen a matchup split that he understood nor a runner on 1st no outs that didn't need to be bunted over.

But that got me thinking... does anyone like their manager and consider them tactically sound on gameday decisions?

Reading this thread so far I have come to realize that though we all criticized a manager's decisions at times .. well some of our teams have had the fortune not to have total psychos heading them up more often then not.  I mean we have the usual "he left the pitcher in too long" stuff going on in our heads but some of the stuff I read on here, just wow.  Like the Colorado manager last year with his endless platooning.  And comments about Joe Morgan.

As a Sox fan, we had Bobby Valentine last season so we got our taste of those types of managers.  But even he seems sane compared with some of this other stuff.  I mean he actually told mgt NOT to turn Daniel Bard into a starter.  That Bard didn't have command of enough of his pitches.  But they wouldn't listen to him and brushed him aside.  Sometimes mgt gets as crazy/stubborn as a manager.  

But aside from Valentine, Sox fans were happy with most of Francona's decisions over the years other then the usual "he left the guy in too long" stuff.  But Francona's value wasn't in the game decisions so much as being the resident "shrink" dealing with the modern day players' giant egos and getting the best out of these guys as possible.  Worked well until the inmates in the pitchers wing of the asylum escaped and discovered beer and chicken wings.  John Farrell had them nicely locked up but after Farrell left for Toronto they walked all over the next lot of pitching coaches (three of them in two years including co-coaches at one point) and then, finally, Francona.  But in his prime, Francona could keep even Manny Ramirez semi-functional at a human level and totally baseball lethal.

So far John Farrell is liked by fans here because he was always bad cop to Franconia's good cop keeping discipline on the club and because he can get the best stuff out of the pitchers or so the pitchers believe.  But real or placebo effect, the results are the same.  He has a long leash on decision making here as a result and the surprising hot start doesn't hurt either.  So yeah some of the most critical fans in all of baseball are Boston ones yet recent managers here have walked on water except for Valentine of course.  Weird.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 18 April 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#13 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

But that got me thinking... does anyone like their manager and consider them tactically sound on gameday decisions?[/size]
Pretty happy with Oakland's manager. Their gm is fantastic as well. If only they could get new owners...
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#14 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I like what Buck does. Plays a lot of matchups with guys. Only issue is that the fantastic duo of Casilla/Flaherty are still finding their way in the lineup everyday at 2nd. Just call up Schoop and be done with both. His press conferences can put you to sleep though.
Bring back Ray!

#15 TheGreatUnwashed

TheGreatUnwashed

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostAnonymousRob, on 18 April 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

But that got me thinking... does anyone like their manager and consider them tactically sound on gameday decisions?[/size]
Pretty happy with Oakland's manager. Their gm is fantastic as well. If only they could get new owners...

New ownership isn't the issue, it's the Giant's territorial rights. If that issue was squared away, ownership would have a new stadium built as soon as possible.
"Sir, it's Mega Maid. She's gone from suck to blow!"

12 Team Daily H2H 9 Cat

G - Beverley, Beal, Walker, Blake, Ellis
F -  T Jones, Marion, Deng, Pierce, W Chandler
C - Ibaka, Gasol, Anderson, Hawes

#16 djmax101

djmax101

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think you have to have Dusty Baker at the top of this list. You can consistently rely on him to make bizarre lineup choices.

Ron Washington is crazy, but his outstanding dances make him not the worst manager. I'd rather lose some games and get the added value of watching him in the dugout than have someone boring and efficient.

I think Bob Melvin with the A's is probably the best. They've consistently done a great job of squeezing out production from platoon splits and abandoned projects from other teams. Also, as odd as Joe Maddon is, the Rays still win quite a few games with those cobbled together lineups, and Maddon seems to understand the value of defense and shifts better than most.
10 team H2H Points. The "I waited until round 8 to draft a pitcher" squad.
C: Carlos Santana / 1B: Jose Abreu / 2B: Jose Altuve / SS: Ian Desmond / 3B: Todd Frazier / MI: Dustin Pedroia / CI: Victor Martinez / OF: Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Shin-Soo Choo, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton / Util: George Springer, Khris Davis / Bench/DL: Mark Trumbo
SP: Jordan Zimmerman, Cole Hamels, Alex Cobb, Dallas Keuchel, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Jake Arrieta, Yordano Ventura / RP: Koji Uehara, Sean Doolittle

10 team H2H Points. The "my work colleagues don't value walks for some reason" squad
C: Russell Martin / 1B: Jose Abreu / 2B: Martin Prado / SS: Ben Zobrist / 3B: Evan Longoria / MI: Aaron Hill / CI: Todd Frazier
OF: Mike Trout, Jose Bautistia, George Springer, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco / Util: Corey Dickerson, Kole Calhoun / Bench/DL: Joey Votto, Mark Trumbo, Joe Mauer
SP: Justin Verlander, Masahiro Tanaka, Alex Cobb, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Dallas Keuchel, Tim Hudson, Kyle Lohse /
RP: Trevor Rosenthal, David Robertson, Sean Doolittle / DL: Andrew Cashner

#17 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,241 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostTheGreatUnwashed, on 18 April 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

View PostAnonymousRob, on 18 April 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

New ownership isn't the issue, it's the Giant's territorial rights. If that issue was squared away, ownership would have a new stadium built as soon as possible.
Never said the owners were holding up the stadium deal.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#18 2Balls

2Balls

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Leyland hits Dirks 2nd today. Hey, why not? Hunter out, sub in.
0-4, 3 Ks.

#19 djmax101

djmax101

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Post2Balls, on 18 April 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Leyland hits Dirks 2nd today. Hey, why not? Hunter out, sub in.
0-4, 3 Ks.

Dirks is actually pretty good. That really isn't too offensive.
10 team H2H Points. The "I waited until round 8 to draft a pitcher" squad.
C: Carlos Santana / 1B: Jose Abreu / 2B: Jose Altuve / SS: Ian Desmond / 3B: Todd Frazier / MI: Dustin Pedroia / CI: Victor Martinez / OF: Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Shin-Soo Choo, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton / Util: George Springer, Khris Davis / Bench/DL: Mark Trumbo
SP: Jordan Zimmerman, Cole Hamels, Alex Cobb, Dallas Keuchel, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Jake Arrieta, Yordano Ventura / RP: Koji Uehara, Sean Doolittle

10 team H2H Points. The "my work colleagues don't value walks for some reason" squad
C: Russell Martin / 1B: Jose Abreu / 2B: Martin Prado / SS: Ben Zobrist / 3B: Evan Longoria / MI: Aaron Hill / CI: Todd Frazier
OF: Mike Trout, Jose Bautistia, George Springer, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco / Util: Corey Dickerson, Kole Calhoun / Bench/DL: Joey Votto, Mark Trumbo, Joe Mauer
SP: Justin Verlander, Masahiro Tanaka, Alex Cobb, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Dallas Keuchel, Tim Hudson, Kyle Lohse /
RP: Trevor Rosenthal, David Robertson, Sean Doolittle / DL: Andrew Cashner

#20 CanadianSportsJunkie

CanadianSportsJunkie

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Gibbons he acts like a fan watching the game and not a manager drives me crazy...

I also believe he is the guy keeping Joey Bats out but I could be wrong there.
16Team Keeper League. Keep 10 no cost. Current 12 out of 16
R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB , AVG, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, HLD

C- Jason Castro
1st- Brandon Belt
2nd- Josh Harrison
3rd- Lonnie Chisenhall
SS- Erick Aybar
LF- Melky Cabrera
CF- Bryce Harper
RF- Oscar Taveras
UTIL- Kevin Kiermaier
Bench- Mookie Betts, James Jones

SP-  Drew Hutchinson, Jimmy Nelson, Trevor Bauer, Jeremy Hellickson, Carlos Carrasco, Roenis Elias, Jeremy Guthrie, Scott Feldman
RP- Danny Farquhar, Ken Giles, Eric O'Flaherty

NA - Matt Davidson
DL-  Masahiro Tanaka, Jurickson Profar, Jedd Gyorko, Matt Moore, Prince Fielder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users