Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Hiram Burgos 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 kobe24

kobe24

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Anything to see here?

Brewers prospect right-hander Hiram Burgos will be called up from Triple-A Nashville to start Saturday against the Cubs.

It will be his major league debut. Burgos, 25, posted a 1.95 ERA and 153/49 K/BB ratio in 171 innings last season between three different levels in the minors last season. He doesn't throw hard, but gets by with good command and his ability to throw strikes. Those in NL-only leagues should give him a shot

#2 biggedge

biggedge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Interesting. I was intrigued after seeing him in the WBC. I'll defer to the experts here on whether he would be fantasy relevant this year, though...

#3 avatoot

avatoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

I think he has a good chance to stick. The Brewers basically have Gallardo as a solid starter. The Fiers experiment has apparently failed as they sent him back to AAA. Wily Peralta has not done well at all so far. Looks like hes got good strikeout ability and he moved through the farm system quick last year. Hes already 25 so the Brewers might as well find out if he is a piece of their pitching puzzle now.

Edited by avatoot, 18 April 2013 - 05:55 PM.

12 Team H2H Cats 8X8 $League
Hitting Categories: R. HR. RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG

Pitching Categories: W, SV, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
C -   C. Santana

1B - V. Martinez
2B - Kinsler
3B - Sandoval
SS - Holt

OF - Blackmon
OF - Pence

OF - Yelich
Util - K. Vargas
Util - J. Harrison
BN - McCann, Granderson, Trumbo
SP - Greinke, Kershaw, Cueto, Hudson, Kuroda, Eovaldi, Holland, K. Hendricks
RP - K. Jansen, Rosenthal, C. Janssen, Petricka
NA - Heaney
NA - Pomeranz
DL - Darvish

#4 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

ESPN doesn't have him in the data base.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#5 avatoot

avatoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Either does Yahoo.
12 Team H2H Cats 8X8 $League
Hitting Categories: R. HR. RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG

Pitching Categories: W, SV, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
C -   C. Santana

1B - V. Martinez
2B - Kinsler
3B - Sandoval
SS - Holt

OF - Blackmon
OF - Pence

OF - Yelich
Util - K. Vargas
Util - J. Harrison
BN - McCann, Granderson, Trumbo
SP - Greinke, Kershaw, Cueto, Hudson, Kuroda, Eovaldi, Holland, K. Hendricks
RP - K. Jansen, Rosenthal, C. Janssen, Petricka
NA - Heaney
NA - Pomeranz
DL - Darvish

#6 kobe24

kobe24

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

you sure? he is available in my league

#7 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

my bad, was looking under the phillies roster...DOH!
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#8 kobe24

kobe24

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

i was gonna say espn has always been good at updating their player pools. yahoo on the other hand...

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

I'm intrigued by him. Fiers deception wasn't fooling anyone in his start. If Burgos pitches good, he could run with a spot in the rotation.
Bring back Ray!

#10 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Chalk it up to an old man brainfart :blink:

#11 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

So he doesn't throw real hard but has 4 to 5 pitches? Doesn't throw his slider that much, and NOT a big walk machine. He tops out @ 90 to 91.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#12 ryanmemperor

ryanmemperor

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Streaming...

Yahoo! 12 team - 1 PPR - 6pts/TD - redraft - money league

QB- M.Ryan

RB1-Mason

RB2-McKinnon

WR1-D.Thomas

WR2-J.Jones

TE-Kelce

Flex- Benjamin

K-Stream

DEF-Stream

Bench:

WR: Harvin, Gordon, TSmith

RB:  Hill, Thomas, 

TE:  Reed

QB: 

IR:  Eifert

#13 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

So he doesn't throw real hard but has 4 to 5 pitches? Doesn't throw his slider that much, and NOT a big walk machine. He tops out @ 90 to 91.

His off-speed pitches are pretty damn good.

He dominated in the Classic.

#14 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

His off-speed pitches are pretty damn good.

He dominated in the Classic.

Man wish I could have watched him in the classic or even knew that he pitched well. I debated the last two days whether or not to grab him and didn't pull the trigger. 25 year old that relies on control kind of turned me off but you never really know with these guys until you watch them or they get a chance

#15 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Scouts have serious doubts about his stuff, and whether it will play in the big leagues. Last year, he started in high A, pitched well enough to get promoted all the way up to AAA, but saw his numbers regress with each promotion. He is #20 on a popular Brewers top prospect list.

I would be confident starting him against the Cubs in his first start, and streaming him if he's against a bottom 5 offense.

Edited by umphrey, 18 April 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#16 9703

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Scouts have serious doubts about his stuff, and whether it will play in the big leagues. Last year, he started in high A, pitched well enough to get promoted all the way up to AAA, but saw his numbers regress with each promotion. He is #20 on a popular Brewers top prospect list.

I would be confident starting him against the Cubs in his first start, and streaming him if he's against a bottom 5 offense.

Maybe his stuff doesn't translate, but the regression argument seems rather weak. He dominated A ball last year so of course he wasn't going to repeat that in AA/AAA. He still pitched well at every level.

If I had to take a guess, I think he can be a good #3/#4 in the big leagues. From what I remember, his fastball velocity is rather underwhelming, but he has a 12-6 curve and a really good changeup.

#17 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm going to go pick this guy up and give him a try. You don' t have to throw 95 plus to be a good pitcher. Sure as hell doesn't hurt, but locating & control, and keeping hitters off balance is key.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#18 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

To anyone that saw the game, did he look good? His stat line is promising with 5 innings, 5 hits, and just 1 run. In position for the win.
Bring back Ray!

#19 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

To anyone that saw the game, did he look good? His stat line is promising with 5 innings, 5 hits, and just 1 run. In position for the win.

He looked ok. I don't think you can make a determination after facing a team as weak-hitting as the Cubs. He didn't beat himself and he was around the plate, but he looked a little hittable to me, as evidenced by the 5 hits. I think a team like the Cardinals would tee off against him, and since he would face them frequently within the division, that hurts his value for me.

But he pitched well. I have doubts about his ability to be a fantasy asset if he's not going to be able to strike people out.

#20 biggamer3

biggamer3

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

whats his deal, is he in the rotation? is he getting skipped this week if he is?