Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2013 NBA Draft ThreadWeakest Draft Class in Years

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
397 replies to this topic

#1 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Figured it would be a good time to start this up. It pains me to say this but the RW Mock recently posted by Alexander might be the worst I have seen so far. I have no problem with thinking outside the box but unless he is a seer there are some very odd things about it.

http://www.rotoworld...draft-version-1

I think the fact that it is a mock draft as opposed to a big board-type ranking give him some license to go a little crazy, which I am sure he used, but I struggle to see McLemore dropping out of the top 3, let alone down to 9th overall.

Anybody got any sleepers lined up? Who is overrated? Wanna take a shot at the top 10? Top 20? Top 30? This draft is supposedly one of the weakest in years, and with people dropping out you can't help but get that sense.

I for one am curious about Glen Rice Jr. Its not that I expect him to be great but his situation seems pretty unique. I don't know how many players get drafted from the D-League.

#2 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Oh yeah I consolidated a couple lists and came up with this top 10. It is big board style and has no bearing whatsoever with who I think will get drafted where.

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel
(2) SG - Ben McLemore
(3) SF/PF - Anthony Bennett
(4) SF - Otto Porter
(5) SG/SF - Victor Oladipo
(6) PG - Trey Burke
(7) C - Cody Zeller
(8) SF - Shabazz Muhammed
(9) C - Alex Len
(10) PG - Michael Carter-Williams

Edited by crazy47larry, 21 April 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#3 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel - Don't like him. Even before the injury, his impact was minimal. Kentucky sucked. Nothing like the impact Anthony Davis and Greg Oden had on their respective teams.
(2) SG - Ben McLemore -I don't get it. I really don't.
(3) SF/PF - Anthony Bennett - I like his upside the most.
(4) SF - Otto Porter - Best value pick. Also the safest pick.
(5) SG/SF - Victor Oladipo - Tony Allen?
(6) PG - Trey Burke - Another small, shoot first, point guard. Yawn.
(7) C - Cody Zeller - Right.
(8) SF - Shabazz Muhammed - ShaScam. Reminds me of the hype Xavier Henry had when he came out of high school. First class chucker.
(9) C - Alex Len - Another Project. Yawn.
(10) PG - Michael Carter-Williams- This guy thinks he's #1 in this draft. :lol:

Some others I'm keeping an eye on,

Shane Larkin - He's small, but I'd take him before Carter-Williams and Burke, imho.
Kelly Olynyk - Raef Lafrentz!!!
Glenn Robinson III

Edited by tremixt, 21 April 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#4 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I like Porter and Burke the most.  McLemore showed flashes of being really special, but was woefully inconsistent.  Porter has a game that should translate to the NBA well.  Very long, can shoot the three ball, put it on the floor, rebounds well.  Burke isn't shoot first IMO.  He set up his teammates with some terrific looks in the tournament.  His size is a bit of a concern, but he's going to be a player at the next level IMO.

Noel should be a solid defensive player, block a lot of shots, but the offensive game is really far behind.  Depends on a team's needs, but I don't think his impact was minimal this past year.  Kentucky had a bunch of dogs on its team this year (Pothyress, Goodwin) and they completely fell apart when Noel went out.  He was a monster defensively.  He's not close to Anthony Davis offensively, but is similar to him defensively.

I have concerns over Bennett.  He's a big time tweener.  He's about 6-7, 6-8, solid athlete.  But I think he's going to be a tweener at the next level.  He didn't dominate the Mountain West in conference play at all and was content to take tons of jumpers.  Mountain West is a solid conference, but he disappeared at times.

Muhammad is brutal.  So selfish.  The Kings would be a perfect fit for him.  Makes Michael Bustley look like Chris Paul.

Edited by mjk356, 21 April 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#5 K.Heart

K.Heart

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Marcus Smart staying really hurt this draft class. He would've been the front runner for rookie of the year. In any case, I do like Oladipo a little if he continues to develop his offensive game. He's very disruptive defensively, so steals will be the biggest part of his fantasy contributions. He'll also provide decent rebounds for a SG and is capable of helping in 3s.

#6 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

View Postcrazy47larry, on 21 April 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

Oh yeah I consolidated a couple lists and came up with this top 10. It is big board style and has no bearing whatsoever with who I think will get drafted where.

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel..... A mutt. The fact he is a consensus #1 tells you everything you need to know.
(2) SG - Ben McLemore..... Will be rookie of the year. A Dwayne Wade type of player.
(4) SF - Otto Porter......Vastly overrated. A rotation player at best.
(5) SG/SF - Victor Oladipo.....Will have a solid NBA career
(6) PG - Trey Burke.....Will never be a star but will help a team
(7) C - Cody Zeller....Can't play
(8) SF - Shabazz Muhammed....NBA body and game,just needs to get his head straight
(9) C - Alex Len....Can't play

Edited by petekrum, 21 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#7 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

McLemore isn't similar to Wade at all.  McLemore is a knockdown jump shooter, isn't great at creating off the dribble or for teammates.  Pretty explosive athlete, but not the playmaker Wade is in any way.

#8 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

I am trying to figure out who is a good comp for Nerlens Noel. Most people say Davis even though they really are nothing alike in my eyes. The only thing they have in common is copious amounts of blocks but thats about it. Davis is a better player across the board but I mean its not like this is news to anyone, it just seems like because Noel went to the same school people often bring it up. I am hoping he can be a Larry Sanders type player but Sanders is a freakish athlete. Noel is highly athletic too but Sanders is an NBA freak which is a different animal. Another comp is Tyson Chandler which makes a lot of sense too. Either way these guys are raw offensively and their sole focus is help defense and controlling the paint. Hell Chandler is still raw on offense and he has been in the league for a long time.

I know people keep knocking Shabazz, and I don't blame them, but maybe if he starts his career with a chip on his shoulder he could evolve a little quicker. Plus being the 'go to guy' for a major college program to being 'a piece of the puzzle' might let him expand his game easier. He wouldn't have to focus on the major parts of initiating and leading and the game could just come to him. I do worry that the adjustment from being a me-first chucker to an NBA rookie (READ: Consummate Team Player) might be too much though. Even then I think he could be a good 6th man type with that mentality, but that is ideally a worst case scenario.

Bennett's size concerns dont worry me as much as the consensus it seems. He is a productive player and he should still be one. A guy like Derrick Williams does kind of worry me. I don't know how similar they are but it is cause for caution. I try not to let size discount value a whole lot. I know size is one of the most important factors of growth in the NBA but a guy like Bennett should be productive even as an undersized 4 (I don't know how realistic it is for him to play the 3 in the NBA, some people wiser than myself seem to think its possible).

Edited by crazy47larry, 21 April 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

View Postcrazy47larry, on 21 April 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Figured it would be a good time to start this up. It pains me to say this but the RW Mock recently posted by Alexander might be the worst I have seen so far. I have no problem with thinking outside the box but unless he is a seer there are some very odd things about it.

Steve Alexander is a bum.  He has no business writing for rotoworld.   He must be a really nice guy.  Anthony Randolph anyone? (plenty, and i mean PLENTY of more examples)
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#10 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

FYI...Glenn Robinson III is returning to Michigan
12 team 5x5 H2H League

C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Taveras

SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Masterson, Hudson, McHugh
RP - Soria, Doolittle, Casilla, McGee

#11 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,727 posts
  • Interests:Sports are awesome.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Definitely a pretty weak draft class this year.  One thing I'll point out is that I see a lot of people don't like Alex Len in the lottery and I'll just say I actually think he's a pretty good pick.  He is really talented offensively, reminds me a lot of Brook Lopez.  I think in a draft that isn't loaded with anything special (or any prospects that have high upside potential), you could do much worse than take a legit 7 foot center who is advanced from a skillset viewpoint.

He even could be a fantasy sleeper next year if he ends up in the right situation where minutes are available.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#12 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Alex Len has got to be the 3rd best true bigman in the draft behind Noel and Zeller. In my opinion he might be one of the last true contributers you can rely on to grow into a substantial role. After the top 10 I provided earlier I would say maybe Gobert and perhaps McCollum are the only other ones worth mentioning (I have personal picks but these are consensus guys). Guys like Olynyk, Plumlee, and Dieng for example should all be picked near each other but don't offer much growth. Isaiah Austin has some some projection left though. It would not surprise me to see a run on bigmen right after the top 10 are selected. This draft is set up that way with Olynyk, Plumlee, Dieng, Gobert, Withey, Austin and even Adams all ranked from number 10-20.

#13 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I like Noel from a fantasy perspective.  He will probably block over 2 shots a game after he comes back.  I wouldn't touch him until last round in a redraft next year, but definitely going to be a monster shot blocker.

McLemore is an enigma.  Deferred to the Kansas vets a bit more than you'd like to see, similar to what Beal did at Florida last year.  No doubting he has a pretty shot and a ton of athleticism.  In my opinion, he's the boom or bust pick of the draft.  He could be a star, but I don't think it would be a shock if he doesn't wind up as a starter.

Burke is also somewhat of a question mark.  Put up some gaudy numbers in a tough Big 10.  His range translates well to the NBA and he's a solid passer and can I think he can penetrate the lane at the NBA level.  I don't think he's going to be much of a finisher in the lane in the NBA with his current arsenal which limits that as a plus a bit.  

Oladipo is an ultimate glue guy.  Great defender, good shooter, can get to the rim and finish.  Upside of Gerald Wallace with a better jumper.

Zeller is just not strong enough to be a post man in the NBA.  He's a good shooter and I think the inside game can develop as he fills out, but got pushed around way too much in college for me to think it isn't going to happen in the NBA.

#14 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Who are some of the freakish athletes available this year? Noel? Bennett? Gobert? Franklin? Adetokunbo?

#15 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,727 posts
  • Interests:Sports are awesome.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Fellas, if you want to discredit some of the prospects in the upcoming draft, do so by discussing their actual physical attributes (or lack thereof) or actual playstyles/tendencies rather than continuing this race-driven conversation (which is off-limits per the Code of Conduct for obvious reasons due to it being such a controversial topic).  

Let's actually focus on the 2013 NBA draft class.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#16 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

So I got a more extended list.

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel
(2) SG - Ben McLemore
(4) SF - Otto Porter
(6) PG - Trey Burke
(7) C - Cody Zeller
(9) C - Alex Len
(11) PF/C - Rudy Gobert
(12) PF/C - Kelly Olynyk
(13) PF/C - Mason Plumlee
(14) PG/SG - C.J. McCollum
(15) C - Isaiah Austin
(16) C - Gorgui Dieng
(17) SF - Dario Saric
(18) C - Jeff Withey
(19) C - Steven Adams
(20) SG - Archie Goodwin
(21) PF - Tony Mitchell
(22) SG/SF - Jamaal Franklin
(23) C - Lucas Nogueira
(24) SG - Allen Crabbe
(25) SF/PF - C.J. Leslie
(26) PG/SG - Myck Kabongo
(27) SG - Giannis Adetokunbo
(28) PG - Dennis Schroeder
(29) SG - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
(30) SF - Sergey Karasev

-I think the top 10 is pretty much set in stone. Maybe top 11 with Gobert in there. They could shift around but I doubt anyone from below jumps above them.
-Notice all the bigs in the 10-20 range. Expect a big run in those picks.
-Lots of veteran bigmen. Not focal points but could be great role players or niche starters
-PG looks pretty weak. Some PGs will probably emerge through workouts and rise but yikes. I would hate to need a PG but not have a top 7-8 pick.
-Could really see some of the Euros near the bottom rise up. Probably not above Saric though.

Edited by crazy47larry, 25 April 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#17 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Read something about Marcus Smart having second thoughts. Its too bad I don't buy it for a second. Its based on heresay and conjecture and the site that posted it doesn't seem very credible in that regard. Its a shame because it is obviously the right move and would be huge for the draft class but Smart seems like a young man with strong convictions and I don't see him flip-flopping. I sincerely hope I am wrong about all of this though. He has nothing left to prove at the NCAA level.

#18 LuSamSiam

LuSamSiam

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

View Postcrazy47larry, on 25 April 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

So I got a more extended list.

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel
(2) SG - Ben McLemore
(4) SF - Otto Porter
(6) PG - Trey Burke
(7) C - Cody Zeller
(9) C - Alex Len
(11) PF/C - Rudy Gobert
(12) PF/C - Kelly Olynyk
(13) PF/C - Mason Plumlee
(14) PG/SG - C.J. McCollum
(15) C - Isaiah Austin
(16) C - Gorgui Dieng
(17) SF - Dario Saric
(18) C - Jeff Withey
(19) C - Steven Adams
(20) SG - Archie Goodwin
(21) PF - Tony Mitchell
(22) SG/SF - Jamaal Franklin
(23) C - Lucas Nogueira
(24) SG - Allen Crabbe
(25) SF/PF - C.J. Leslie
(26) PG/SG - Myck Kabongo
(27) SG - Giannis Adetokunbo
(28) PG - Dennis Schroeder
(29) SG - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
(30) SF - Sergey Karasev

-I think the top 10 is pretty much set in stone. Maybe top 11 with Gobert in there. They could shift around but I doubt anyone from below jumps above them.
-Notice all the bigs in the 10-20 range. Expect a big run in those picks.
-Lots of veteran bigmen. Not focal points but could be great role players or niche starters
-PG looks pretty weak. Some PGs will probably emerge through workouts and rise but yikes. I would hate to need a PG but not have a top 7-8 pick.
-Could really see some of the Euros near the bottom rise up. Probably not above Saric though.

Isn't Shane Larkin projected to go in the 1st round?
14 Team 12-Cat H2H

PG: Kyrie Irving, DJ Augustin, Kendall Marshall
SG: Bradley Beal, Victor Oladipo, Kent Bazemore
SF: Tobias Harris, Wilson Chandler
PF: Anthony Davis, LaMarcus Aldridge, Terrence Jones, Ryan Kelly
C: Spencer Hawes, Greg Monroe, Andrew Bynum

#19 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,141 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostLuSamSiam, on 28 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Isn't Shane Larkin projected to go in the 1st round?

It's fluid. A lot of what I've seen have him late first/early second. If he was 2 inches taller, he'd probably be top 10.

I can't wait to talk about next year's class. This class is underwhelming.

Edited by tremixt, 28 April 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#20 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

I won't be drafting any rookies this year unless it's a 1$ pickup.