Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

ESPN 1-N-Done Playoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
226 replies to this topic

#1 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Anyone else playing this game? So far, I like the format. It is fun and simple.

I figured it would be fun to have a thread to discuss strategy for this game as the playoffs progress.
Read the rules here if you aren't playing but are curious: http://games.espn.go...n-done/2013/en/

In a nutshell, you want to play studs on teams that you think won't advance to the next round since each round is worth more points.

My must plays this round are: Harden, Curry, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings. The Rockets, Warriors, Lakers and Bucks are the only teams that I feel are absolute locks to lose their series. I'll be playing those guys first while I watch the developments in the other series.

The next group of guys would look like this: Paul Pierce, Garnett, Jeff Green, Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Boozer as the Celtics, Bulls and Hawks are also looking like first round exits, but could claw back.

Those last few days of the first round will be teams going into games 6 and 7 and will be where the most strategy in this game will occur. Each subsequent round will also have much less clear cut decisions as teams become more evenly matched.

My plays so far:

4/20: Steph Curry- 19 pts, 4 reb, 9 asts for 32 total points
4/21: Monta Ellis- 22 pts, 4 reb, 3 asts for 29 total points

Post yours

#2 johnd2442

johnd2442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

I'm playing this game as well. I agree; I really like the very simple setup after a season of analyzing lots of statistics, and it keeps me invested in the NBA playoffs when otherwise, I may just ignore it.

And I agree with you about the strategy, by keying on guys who are on teams that will likely be first round exits like Milwaukee, the Lakers and Golden State. I'm not convinced about Houston losing in the first round, but I'll likely wait a few games to make that decision, to see how their series is going. That said, I do agree about Boston and Chicago looking like very possible first round exits. Looks like we went the same way regarding Sunday's games with choosing Monta Ellis.

My plays so far:
4/20 - Brook Lopez, BKN - 28 pts
4/21 - Monta Ellis, MIL - 29 pts
High Above Courtside fantasy basketball league
  • 12 franchises, starting its 4th season in 2013-14
  • points based, daily lineup, head to head
  • keeper league

#3 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

it's quite same as nba/drive no?

9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Kimba Walker, Foye, 
F - Trevor Ariza, Tyreke Evans, Markieff Morris, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Perry Jones

C - Al Jefferson, Blake Griffin, Amir Johnson, Channing Frye

#4 grouper

grouper

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

yes, same thing as drive

so far i've picked

4/20 - David Lee - 26 pts
4/21 - Pau Gasol - 38 pts

a surprising number of people have picked some combination of carmelo, lebron, and durant so far. seems like even a cursory glance at the rules might dissuade people from picking those guys but i guess i not.

#5 clutchcityfan

clutchcityfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Harden is gonna explode for at least one game this series and get the Rockets a win. My prediction is game 3 in Houston.

And congrats to those of you who managed to use David Lee before he went down :(

#6 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

UGH i picked Jeff Green day 1 and he popped off (against my knicks?! yes, i am insane) but I forgot to pick the 2nd day and got a 0. Bullocks.

#7 linkr

linkr

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Are you picking the best players of the likely losing 1st round teams in games 1 and 2 or are you waiting for them to have a home game?

So far I picked Klay Thompson and Steve Blake just to save the stars for their home games.

#8 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Well, there are only 14 days of round one games. I wouldn't consider steve blake a strong enough option to use.

My 14 would be monta ellis, jennings, curry, harden, pau, dwight, boozer, horford, smoove, teague, paul pierce, jeff green, garnett just off the top of my head.

#9 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Well, there are only 14 days of round one games. I wouldn't consider steve blake a strong enough option to use.

My 14 would be monta ellis, jennings, curry, harden, pau, dwight, boozer, horford, smoove, teague, paul pierce, jeff green, garnett just off the top of my head.

This. Obviously it depends on who you think will win and lose in the first round, I would have to put Marc Gasol up there too if you think they're going down.

My pick today is Boozer. They are leaning heavily on him and he has been on a tear.

Edited by bdams19, 22 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#10 linkr

linkr

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

The way I see things, I lose far less by playing Blake in the 1st round than by not being able to play Horford for instance in the 2nd.

#11 seeL

seeL

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

yes, same thing as drive

so far i've picked

a surprising number of people have picked some combination of carmelo, lebron, and durant so far. seems like even a cursory glance at the rules might dissuade people from picking those guys but i guess i not.

Lucky are those who picked Lee on the first day of the playoffs!
"Lude enixe. Lude juste."

#12 seeL

seeL

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Give fantasypostseason.com a try.
"Lude enixe. Lude juste."

#13 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

The way I see things, I lose far less by playing Blake in the 1st round than by not being able to play Horford for instance in the 2nd.

but there are more players than Blake who are going to be eliminated in the first round who you will not be able to play is the point.

#14 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

yes, same thing as drive

so far i've picked

Lucky are those who picked Lee on the first day of the playoffs!

I agree with this. I was very close to choosing Lee, but figured Curry was still en fuego and I was planning on saving Lee until Game 3 at home for the warriors.

I'm playing Boozer tonight. It was either going to be him, Deng or Nate Rob. The Bulls are going down without a healthy Noah to anchor that defense.

I think the Grizzlies players will become solid options to play in the coming days, but I still think it's close between those two teams. If the Clips win tonight, I'll strongly consider playing Gasol in game 3 or 4.

#15 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Im really glad there's a thread for this, is anyone else playing for money? Let's try to keep this thread active and useful. Im coming here looking for the less obvious good plays.

Trifecta nailed the strategy pretty well, so let's build off that. It's also CRUCIAL to look at the schedule. Go to the espn weekly schedule or something similar, and see which teams are playing which days. There will be days with fewer games, so it's advantageous to save your studs-on-losing-teams for those days, especially if your opponent(s) have already picked them. The schedule may also affect which guys you want to save for later or use sooner because of the fluctuating depth of the field.

There can be as few as 0 or 1 games on Tuesday, April 30th. If you successfully save a stud-on-losing-team for that day, you stand to gain on your opponent who could have fewer good options that you.

It's not so easy to plan ahead, but I think it's going to separate the smart pickers from those who are flying by the seat of their pants. Personally, I look at the schedule and make a list of the guys im looking at for each of the next 12 days. Then, I can start to see how the puzzle fits together (i.e., save Boozer for a few days later, slide Deron up to open that slot).

The schedule will become much more important in the later rounds i suspect, since there will be even fewer options.

So far I went:
4/20- Lee
4/21- Monta
4/22- Zach Randolph (today)

Who are your sneaky picks for today and tomorrow?i like either Zbo, MGasol, or Boozer today.
10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#16 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

yes, same thing as drive

so far i've picked

Very strong start for you. You are one of only a small percentage of players to go get a game out of Lee before he went down.

I think it's pretty funny to look at the leaderboard right now. It's filled with people who went with Melo on saturday and Paul George or Lebron James yesterday. It's a whose-who of people that either didn't bother to read the rules or don't know the first thing about the NBA.

#17 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

People who picked Lee the first day are lucky, but unlucky. Lucky that they got him before injury, but unlucky that he only gave them 3 quarters of production. Im behind the pace because of Lee, not that its a big deal this early.

#18 Trifecta

Trifecta

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,575 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Im really glad there's a thread for this, is anyone else playing for money? Let's try to keep this thread active and useful. Im coming here looking for the less obvious good plays.

Trifecta nailed the strategy pretty well, so let's build off that. It's also CRUCIAL to look at the schedule. Go to the espn weekly schedule or something similar, and see which teams are playing which days. There will be days with fewer games, so it's advantageous to save your studs-on-losing-teams for those days, especially if your opponent(s) have already picked them. The schedule may also affect which guys you want to save for later or use sooner because of the fluctuating depth of the field.

There can be as few as 0 or 1 games on Tuesday, April 30th. If you successfully save a stud-on-losing-team for that day, you stand to gain on your opponent who could have fewer good options that you.

It's not so easy to plan ahead, but I think it's going to separate the smart pickers from those who are flying by the seat of their pants. Personally, I look at the schedule and make a list of the guys im looking at for each of the next 12 days. Then, I can start to see how the puzzle fits together (i.e., save Boozer for a few days later, slide Deron up to open that slot).

The schedule will become much more important in the later rounds i suspect, since there will be even fewer options.

So far I went:
4/20- Lee
4/21- Monta
4/22- Zach Randolph (today)

Who are your sneaky picks for today and tomorrow?i like either Zbo, MGasol, or Boozer today.

Yes, I'm playing for money as well. Only way to do it IMO. Trying to get my revenge for losing in the finals, take that bad taste out of my mouth.

I agree with your choices for tonight in Zbo, Gasol and Boozer. I'm going with Boozer because I place the likelihood the Bulls advance lower than the likelihood the Grizzlies advance. I think Zbo is a relatively safe play, but I still think the Grizzlies could put up a fight and push this series to the brink.

For tomorrow night, I like Celtics players and Hawks players. Horford could be a really strong play if Josh Smith is out or limited

Edited by Trifecta, 22 April 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#19 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

You're a day ahead on the hawks Trifecta, but I'm definitely going Horford or Pau on 4/24.

On 4/23 I agree about Celtics (Green or Pierce), with the bucks guards as a second option.

#20 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Since different people will pick and save different players, it might be a good idea to compile some sort of daily rankings. Talking about a couple players each day will become less meaningful as we get deeper into this thing.

It could be as easy as copying the daily available players and adjusting based on teams that are expected to lose.

Edited by aaa1, 22 April 2013 - 06:25 PM.