Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Nick Franklin 2B/SS SEA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 antadams3

antadams3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'm kind of new to prospect watching as this is my first year back into fantasy baseball after not playing for 5 years, but do you think we'll see Nick Franklin called up soon? With the struggles of Ryan/Ackey and him hitting so well down in Triple A, I can't imagine, the M's can keep him down too long.

Any thoughts?
12 Team, 0.5PPR, 6 Player Keeper, Qb, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, K, Def
QB - Cam, Cutler
RB, McCoy, Ellington, Vereen, Gerhart, Crowell, McKinnon
WR - Jeffery, Cobb, Michael Floyd, Wright, Hunter
TE - Ertz

#2 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Yes I think we'll see him soon but the M's track record of developing in house talent has been less than spectacular to say the least.
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#3 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

What kind of upside can we expect from him?
c evan gattis
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee
bn kris bryant stephen vogt dominic brown carl crawford dl prince fielder  

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden
p brian wilson p neal cotts p tanner roark bn wily peralta Bn drew pomeranz bn ryan volgesong dl masahiro tanaka

#4 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

Ryan benched for Andino. Just a matter of time?
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#5 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Posttucker26, on 24 April 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

I'm not quite sure.  While Andino is bottom of the barrell along with Ryan (at least Ryan can play very good defense), but Franklin has been playing more Second in the minors this year than he has Shortstop.  There was also an article in spring training that Franklin was adding more muscle weight so hit for more power, essentially relegating him to second long term.  The Mariners also have another shortstop/second prospect in Brad Miller that is in Double A right now.  Doesn't have quite the amount of upside that Franklin has, but they have similar profiles.

I ultimately think that Franklin's call up is dependent on how Dustin Ackley does.  But it wouldn't surprise me to see both Franklin and Miller up around the All-Star break if Ackley can't perform.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#6 coleporter

coleporter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Seems like Ackley is turning it around. 3-4 today.
C   Vogt
1B Jose Abreu
2B Altuve
3B Castellanos
SS Danny Santana
OF Puig
OF JD Martinez
Of Myers
UTL Ozuna

Bench:, Yan Gomes (7 Day DL), Calhoun, Baez
Multi-Position: Castellanos (OF, 3B), Santana (SS,OF), Vogt (C, 1B, OF) Baez (SS,2B)
SP: Alex Wood Teheran,  Arrieta, Wada, Harang, Carrasco . RP: Rosenthal,  Gregerson
DL: Doolittle, Goldschmidt

#7 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostPepperPot, on 24 April 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

View Posttucker26, on 24 April 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

I'm not quite sure.  While Andino is bottom of the barrell along with Ryan (at least Ryan can play very good defense), but Franklin has been playing more Second in the minors this year than he has Shortstop.  There was also an article in spring training that Franklin was adding more muscle weight so hit for more power, essentially relegating him to second long term.  The Mariners also have another shortstop/second prospect in Brad Miller that is in Double A right now.  Doesn't have quite the amount of upside that Franklin has, but they have similar profiles.

I ultimately think that Franklin's call up is dependent on how Dustin Ackley does.  But it wouldn't surprise me to see both Franklin and Miller up around the All-Star break if Ackley can't perform.

I actually disagree with you about Miller -- I think he's got higher upside than Franklin, especially with him being the more likely to stick at shortstop at this point. Franklin is probably going to have to get used to being a utility guy for a while as his best spot is taken by Ackley whom the M's are unlikely to give up on just yet. He's probably got at least a couple months' worth of a leash, and then all bets are off after. But I think the M's see Miller as their shortstop of the future (that's one reason they offered Franklin in a bunch of offseason deals), so Franklin may be stuck as more of a utility guy for a while. He may be a Jed Lowrie type, although I hope he doesn't get injured as frequently.

In any case, the M's probably won't make any call-ups for another three weeks or so. If the team is still awful at that point, I'd think we could expect to see guys like Hultzen and Franklin first followed soon by Zunino and Miller in June.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#8 Bugsy_Cicada

Bugsy_Cicada

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Little Nicky   3- 3 tonight... batting .410

What else does he have to do to at least get them thinking about calling him up ?

Ryan and Ackley, more of the same tonight

#9 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostBugsy_Cicada, on 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

What else does he have to do to at least get them thinking about calling him up ?

Ackley has a 10-game hit streak and has hit safely in 12 of his past 13 games.  Mariners won't give up on him this early.  It would take  some major prolonged struggles for them to bench him or demote him.

Ryan, on the other hand, is expendable.

#10 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

I know Franklin used to play SS, but he's been playing nothing but 2b the last year or so, right? If so that creates a problem. But yea, Ryan/Andino is a joke. Ryan should have been cut when he grounded in to a double play with the bases loaded last night, M's were down 6-2 at the time.
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#11 antadams3

antadams3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

View Postcapattack, on 01 May 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

I know Franklin used to play SS, but he's been playing nothing but 2b the last year or so, right? If so that creates a problem. But yea, Ryan/Andino is a joke. Ryan should have been cut when he grounded in to a double play with the bases loaded last night, M's were down 6-2 at the time.

According to firstinning.com, he's played 8 games at SS out of 26 games I believe. That's if the site is accurate.
QB - Cam, Cutler
TE - Ertz

#12 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,301 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostOriole Way, on 01 May 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

Ackley has a 10-game hit streak and has hit safely in 12 of his past 13 games.  Mariners won't give up on him this early.  It would take  some major prolonged struggles for them to bench him or demote him.

They're both expendable. Even with his 10-game hitting streak, Ackley's OPS is .570, which is actually not much lower than it was last year. He's looking more and more like a bust.

Franklin and Brad Miller will be huge upgrades up the middle, if only for the fact that it would be hard to be any worse than Ackley and Ryan.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 01 May 2013 - 05:52 PM.

I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#13 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on 01 May 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

View PostOriole Way, on 01 May 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

They're both expendable. Even with his 10-game hitting streak, Ackley's OPS is .570, which is actually not much lower than it was last year. He's looking more and more like a bust.

Franklin and Brad Miller will be huge upgrades up the middle, if only for the fact that it would be hard to be any worse than Ackley and Ryan.

The Mariners won't give up on Ackley this early.  He's not far removed from being their biggest prospect.

#14 Bugsy_Cicada

Bugsy_Cicada

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Two Articles about Franklin within the last day.

http://www.lookoutla...r-small-picture

http://blogs.seattle...-for-promotion/

#15 dhas13

dhas13

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Looks like 0-15 bad time to go into a slump.

#16 antadams3

antadams3

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Month of May:

Ryan/Andino: 1 for 33, 9 Ks, 2 BB

Franklin: 12 for 45, 4 doubles, 1 HR, 8 Ks, 7 BB

I know Franklin isn't exactly tearing it up right now but I think it might be time we see him very soon. Ryan/Andino combo is just terrible, offensively. Franklin has played SS 6 out of 12 games this month as well.
QB - Cam, Cutler
TE - Ertz

#17 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postantadams3, on 13 May 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Month of May:

I know Franklin isn't exactly tearing it up right now but I think it might be time we see him very soon. Ryan/Andino combo is just terrible, offensively. Franklin has played SS 6 out of 12 games this month as well.

Yeah, it's time for the M's to make the switch. Franklin is ready (he came out of his mini slump and is doing well again) and Andino and Ryan are horrific right now for varying reasons. I think he gets the call by June 1st.

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,739 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostBodhizefa, on 13 May 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Month of May:

Yeah, it's time for the M's to make the switch. Franklin is ready (he came out of his mini slump and is doing well again) and Andino and Ryan are horrific right now for varying reasons. I think he gets the call by June 1st.

This kid needs to get the call ASAP. If he does get the call what can we expect ROS? I am thinking maybe what Dustin Ackley could have been?
No Days Off

#19 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Postklove42, on 14 May 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Month of May:

This kid needs to get the call ASAP. If he does get the call what can we expect ROS? I am thinking maybe what Dustin Ackley could have been?

Yeah, I could see that. Franklin's a weird one to project because he's basically been better than the scouts thought he would be at almost every stop. Still, he looks like a pretty good bet to be a decent batting average guy with 15/15 potential in the power/speed department. He may very well exceed those numbers as he continues to surprise me with his improvements (his walk and contact rates this year in Tacoma have been outstanding), but I'd err on the side of caution. His 2012 Tacoma slash line is where I think he starts off his big league career in his first exposure (something like .240/.300/.415), and then he can probably build from there.

#20 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostBodhizefa, on 14 May 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

View Postklove42, on 14 May 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

Month of May:

Yeah, I could see that. Franklin's a weird one to project because he's basically been better than the scouts thought he would be at almost every stop. Still, he looks like a pretty good bet to be a decent batting average guy with 15/15 potential in the power/speed department. He may very well exceed those numbers as he continues to surprise me with his improvements (his walk and contact rates this year in Tacoma have been outstanding), but I'd err on the side of caution. His 2012 Tacoma slash line is where I think he starts off his big league career in his first exposure (something like .240/.300/.415), and then he can probably build from there.
Plus he bulked up and put on some muscle over the offseason.
c evan gattis
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee
bn kris bryant stephen vogt dominic brown carl crawford dl prince fielder  

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden
p brian wilson p neal cotts p tanner roark bn wily peralta Bn drew pomeranz bn ryan volgesong dl masahiro tanaka