Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Robbie Erlin 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Didnt see anyone else start a thread on him but I'm a little shocked the padres called him up just to be in the bullpen. Great minor league numbers and he is one of their top prospects.
No Days Off

#2 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Didnt see anyone else start a thread on him but I'm a little shocked the padres called him up just to be in the bullpen. Great minor league numbers and he is one of their top prospects.

So has it been confirmed hes in the bullpen?

#3 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

That is according to RW. I have not seen their source on it, but whose spot in the rotation would he take with Cashner coming in for Ross?

Edited by klove42, 24 April 2013 - 06:54 PM.

No Days Off

#4 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

That is according to RW. I have not seen their source on it, but whose spot in the rotation would he take with Cashner coming in for Ross?

Better question. Is anyone in the Pads rotation actually pitching well enough not be scared of a demotion to the pen? I think your right that he starts in the pen but you never know. He could also pull a Luebke and pitch out of the pen for a while before being switched back to a starter.

#5 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Corey Brock@FollowThePadres
With their starters averaging 4.96 IP/9 (Astros last, 4.55), #Padres have added LHP Robbie Erlin for length. Thad Weber back to Tucson.

The Weber move is to get a fresh arm to aid the bullpen. Cashner now in rotation, Bass would be lone long guy. Team very happy with Weber.

A Tweet-friendly scouting report on #Padres LHP Robbie Erlin: Average velo, command to both sides, 4 pitches. Mature approach.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#6 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

With their starters averaging 4.96 IP/9 (Astros last, 4.55), #Padres have added LHP Robbie Erlin for length. Thad Weber back to Tucson.

The Weber move is to get a fresh arm to aid the bullpen. Cashner now in rotation, Bass would be lone long guy. Team very happy with Weber.

A Tweet-friendly scouting report on #Padres LHP Robbie Erlin: Average velo, command to both sides, 4 pitches. Mature approach.

From these tweets I kind of get the feeling he won't be up for long... but as bravesfan said there are a lot of holes in their rotation besides Cashner IMO. Luebke when he gets back is the only Padres starter I would feel confident in being in the rotation at the end of the year (not cashner because of innings limit)
No Days Off

#7 cavalier

cavalier

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

With all the talk about his mature approach and 4 strong pitches, they could just feel like he's ready for some coffee. As you guys said, outside of Cashner there rotation is full of bottom dwellers so they could use a guy who can actually pitch. Bad teams will do a lot to gain interest in the team if the ownership actually gives a sh*t.
16 Team H2H Dynasty [Year 6] [1B/3B,2B/SS,2 UT,4 OF] [R,HR,TB,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS] [K,QS,W,SV,HD,ERA,WHIP]
C-   Jon Lucroy
1B- Prince Fielder (DL)
2B- Jason Kipnis
3B- Will Middlebrooks (DL)
SS- Evereth Cabrera
2B/SS- Jean Segura
1B/3B- Casey McGehee
OF- Mike Trout
OF- Alex Rios
OF- Khris Davis
OF- Melky Cabrera
UT- Ben Revere
UT- Marcell Ozuna
BN- Juan Francisco, Derek Norris, Darin Ruf, Chris Colabello
Minors- Grant Green (AAA), Mookie Betts (AAA)
SP- James Shields, Zack Greinke, Matt Moore (DL), Kris Medlen (DL), Hiroki Kuroda, Jon Niese, Yordano Ventura, Brandon Workman, Jake Odorizzi, Danny Salazar, Tsuyoshi Wada, Miguel Gonzalez
RP- Sean Doolittle, Santiago Casilla, Ryan Cook Carlos Carrasco
Minors- Nick Kingham (AAA), Drew Pomeranz (AAA), Rafael Montero (AAA)

#8 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Tommy Milone is probably a good comp for Erlin.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#9 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Maybe see him tonight after Cashner goes 5?

#10 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Tommy Milone is probably a good comp for Erlin.

It definitely is, I believe Erlin throws a tad bit harder than Milone. But they have similar profiles...flyball pitchers that get by on very good command. It also helps that they basically project to be very similar in the majors considering their respective home parks as well.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#11 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Getting some garbage time action right now. Gives up a homer to Ransom on a fastball up in the zone.

And DeJesus hit one hard to the deepest part of the park. Erlin needs to work lower in the zone without a big fastball.

Edited by PepperPot, 30 April 2013 - 10:33 PM.

Starters

Bench

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller

#12 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Looked real hittable, an unimpressive debut. I still don't get why the Padres called him up. Hopefully he was just nervous, have to wait for the next outing.

Starters

Bench

#13 Dan94

Dan94

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Looked good in inning 1. I've got him in a dynasty league and called him up for the day.

#14 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

In the rotation for good. Surprised that burch smith got more buzz than this guy is getting.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 6

"Formerly" All About the Benjamin

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (Backups Michael Crabtree and Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Kelce (backup Cameron)
FLEX Ben Tate (can also play cordarrelle or crabtree here)

#15 Yanksfan06

Yanksfan06

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

In the rotation for good. Surprised that burch smith got more buzz than this guy is getting.

Size is probably a factor. You don't see too many 5'11" starting pitchers with great success.

#16 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:11 AM

Looked great tonight. The bullpen came in and not only let the one guy he had on score but also continued on to blow the lead. He's getting a little overlooked right now but is definitely in a better position to succeed than Burch Smith was. Got to factor in a lefty heavy Philly lineup but he made a good impression.

#17 bmay

bmay

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

Possible inflated K rates? His SwStr% is maddd low.
14-team H2H Points League (weekly):
C - McCann
1B - Rizzo
2B - Cano
3B - Encarnacion
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Braun, Bruce, Hunter
DH - Seager
Bench - Beltran, Davis, Harper (DL), Polanco, Solarte

P - Bailey, Cain, Doolittle, Iwakuma, Kluber, Lynn, Quintana, Samardzija
Bench - De La Rosa, Holland (DL), Janssen, Kuroda, Liriano, Porcello, Smyly, Syndergaard (M)

#18 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Size is probably a factor. You don't see too many 5'11" starting pitchers with great success.

I think the biggest factor is he is not being given a rotation spot. They called him up and barely pitched him out of the bullpen, then they have given him a couple of spot starts, Even this time around they have given no indication that he has a chance to stick. Not much to hype when a guy is likely going to be in the minors in a couple days.

#19 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

I think the biggest factor is he is not being given a rotation spot. They called him up and barely pitched him out of the bullpen, then they have given him a couple of spot starts, Even this time around they have given no indication that he has a chance to stick. Not much to hype when a guy is likely going to be in the minors in a couple days.

Hes staying for at least another start or two. Its not like Richards has been any good so there actually is a good chance he sticks even if they aren't announcing it

#20 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Pure trash. The Nats never give Strasburg any run support so this tells you how garbage this little runt is. Waiver wire fodder, most likely will never see him in the majors again outside a mop up relief role if sent down after this debacle.
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles. Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump. It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.