Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

How is trading in your league?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
109 replies to this topic

#1 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm just curious about everyone's experience with trading in your leagues. Not trying to have a BC discussion but with other managers in your league, do you find it difficult to deal? Do many trades happen over the course of the season?

In my league, I get very frustrated because a lot of the time, you're lucky to even get a response on the trade offer and it's nearly out of the question to expect a counteroffer. Even when I offer a totally fair trade, I get shot down and the other manager will say in the comments that it's fair but they just aren't going to do it.

I see in other posts where people seem to trade frequently and even get offered ridiculously lopsided trades and am wondering if this is normal or if my league is just extremely uptight.

It makes playing a lot less fun when you have virtually no chance of bettering your team through trading.

#2 Mikewastaken

Mikewastaken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I mostly agree. I have found in my keeper league trades are pretty few and far between, and players who have been kept are generally speaking, untouchable. People, somewhat understandably, tend to rate past performance more highly than future potential.

I have found taking the time to chat up someone before sending an offer helps immensely. Let them know who you're interested in, what you're willing to give up and it's a lot more likely to bear fruit than shooting off a proposal while you're having your morning coffee.
@mikewastaken

C: Perez/Mesoraco | CI: E5/Goldy/Abreu/Seager | MI: H. Ramirez/Bogaerts/Wong/Rendon | OF: Braun/Jones/McCutchen/Soriano/Blackmon/Kalhoun
SP: Waino/Minor/Gray/Archer/Masterson/Wheeler/Peralta/Smyly | RP: Perkins/Soria | Minors: Bryant/Gausman

#3 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

I just do trades like I'm trying to pick up chicks at a bar. You just gotta hit on as many as possible. Eventually one will say yes.
"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#4 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I do not get even response for my offers.

Snake 6th pick - H2H 14 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: J.Holiday - V.Oladipo

SG: J.Harden - K.C. Pope

SF: T.Ariza - G.Antetokounmpo - D.Gallinari - D.Green (GSW)

PF: C.Bosh - E.Davis

C: M.Gasol - D.Jordan - M.Gortat

Snake 8th pick - H2H 16 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: R.Westbrook - I.Thomas - R.Jackson

SG: E.Bledsoe

SF: N.Batum - M.Barnes - D.Green (GSW)

PF: D.Nowitzki - R.Anderson - M.Plumlee 

C: P.Gasol - K.Olynyk - E.Davis

Auction -  H2H 12 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: T.Parker - B.Jennings

SG: D.Wade - K.Martin - J.Johnson

SF: K.Leonard - C.Parsons - L.Deng

PF: D.Nowitzki - M.Morris - T.Jones

C: B.Lopez -  D.Favors

#5 superkeest

superkeest

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Depends on the league. I play in one league where there have already been about 10 trades. The league i commission had its first trade(s) last year in the 5th year of the league. I've found, just keep sending offers, and don't try stealing guys from owners, send fair offers, seems like generally once 1 trade goes through, more will follow.

#6 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Trading is what makes fantasy so fun.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#7 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

There have been 3 trades in my league this year, all involving me lol. So far so good though but I don't want to speak too soon. People get really anal and ignorant when it comes to trades sometimes, especially the league I'm in.

#8 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Trading is what makes fantasy so fun.

I think being able to pick your own team surpasses that, but I get your point.

#9 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

I just do trades like I'm trying to pick up chicks at a bar. You just gotta hit on as many as possible. Eventually one will say yes.

I don't think you could've put that a better way. Gotta make sure you have a few drinks in your system as well haha.

#10 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Trades are very difficult to make in my league. The only time i ever have any type of success is dealing with my commish. Third year in a row i have succesfully made a trade with him and most of the time its a win win for both sides. Usually its one of those deals when i need speed or he needs power and vice versa.

#11 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have found taking the time to chat up someone before sending an offer helps immensely. Let them know who you're interested in, what you're willing to give up and it's a lot more likely to bear fruit than shooting off a proposal while you're having your morning coffee.

I try both approaches but neither one really works. I think people are inherently suspicious and think you're just buttering them up.

I tried asking a guy yesterday if he was interested in any of my 3B and he said maybe Trumbo so I told him two guys I'd be interested in as a starting point for negotiation and the email back to me was "No". Great, sorry to have wasted your time...

#12 Mikewastaken

Mikewastaken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would say the worst part about being in a longstanding league is that when you are going after someone, the owner generally assumes you know something they don't and gets protective.
@mikewastaken

C: Perez/Mesoraco | CI: E5/Goldy/Abreu/Seager | MI: H. Ramirez/Bogaerts/Wong/Rendon | OF: Braun/Jones/McCutchen/Soriano/Blackmon/Kalhoun
SP: Waino/Minor/Gray/Archer/Masterson/Wheeler/Peralta/Smyly | RP: Perkins/Soria | Minors: Bryant/Gausman

#13 techmd

techmd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I love trying to make trades, but out of 12 owners in my league there's only about 6 that are willing to do a deal that isn't completely lopsided in their favor. There's something about being wrong in a trade that makes people hesitant.

We've had one minor trade occur so far this season in the whole league.
H2H, 12 Team, ReDraft, 1st Pick, 6x6 OPS, Reg Season Champ
C: Santana (7.1)
1B: Goldschmidt (3.1)
2B: Phillips (4.12)
SS: Segura
3B: Miggy (1.1)
OF: J. Upton (2.12), OF: Choo (6.12), OF: Gordon (8.12)
Uti: C.Davis (11.1), Uti: Rizzo (t)
BN: R. Davis
SP: Scherzer (t), Grienke(5.1), H.Bailey(14.12), Kluber, Ryu(16.12), Cole
RP: Perkins(15.1), Mujica, Cishek(17.1), Farquhar, Hawkins, Melancon

#14 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

also agree with the poster saying to discuss the trade with the guy rather than firing off proposals. this is what I always do, 100 % of the time. I don't like wasting time (other than when I'm posting on rotoworld :P) and I find communicating with them and finding out their needs, their opinion on your players, their opinion on their own players, and being able to negotiate works much more efficiently.

Also I find a huge problem with trade offers I get is that managers sometimes don't even look at my strengths and weaknesses. offering me a fair trade when im already strong in the areas he's sending me isn't going to motivate me to complete a deal, unless I'm obviously a winner in the trade. so make sure you look at his strengths and weaknesses before proposing anything.
10-team H2H Standard ($200 Cap) 

QB: Peyton Manning $41
WR: Jeremy Maclin FA
WR: T.Y. Hilton (Via Trade)
RB: Lesean Mccoy $59
RB: Arian Foster (Via Trade)
TE: Greg Olsen $4
FLEX:  Andre Johnson $21
K: Adam Vinatieri $1
DEF: Baltimore FA

B: RB Trent Richardson $11, WR Steve Smith FA, WR DeAndre Hopkins $2, RB Jerick McKinnon FA, RB Bishop Sankey FA, RB Tre Mason FA, RB Bryce Brown

#15 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I tried asking a guy yesterday if he was interested in any of my 3B and he said maybe Trumbo so I told him two guys I'd be interested in as a starting point for negotiation and the email back to me was "No". Great, sorry to have wasted your time...

Ya some managers are just impossible to make trades wtih. i usually find out pretty quick in my leagues who those guys are and then I just avoid sending proposals to them for the rest of the season.

Another thing, I've found its a lot easier to get deals going in money leagues than non money leagues. Probably just because the managers are more invested and spend more time managing their teams.
"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#16 Sternes

Sternes

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Depends on your league I suppose. In my keeper league there was a guy who managed 21 trades last year. He is already up to 5 this year. He seems to jump on slow starters and when people panic, then package that value to make a bigger trade.

I'm trying to emulate the guy because he is killing it.
QB - Newton, Pryor
RB - T. Richardson, D. Murray, C. Ivory, P. Hillis, K. Robinson, A. Ellington, C. Ogbonnaya
WR - Marshall, M. Wallace, D. Thomas, TY Hilton
TE - Gates
K - Hauschka
DEF - Patriots

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I haven't made an offer yet this season. Most my guys are players I drafted for a reason and because of that I value them more than others would. I usually make 2-3 trades per season and mostly closer to the trade deadline when I am shoring up needs.

#18 cameroncandela

cameroncandela

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

only been one trade in my league so far. Got Ian Kinsler and Will Middlebrooks for Ryan Zimmerman. Zims on the DL, and Kinsler is doing his thing, so it's safe to say i won this trade
h2h 7x7 12 team league. keep 10

C-   Wilin Rosario
1B- Paul Goldschmidt
2B- Martin Prado
3B- Manny Machado
SS- Hanley Ramirez
OF- Alex Gordon
OF- George Springer
OF- Hunter Pence
Uti-  Ryan Howard
BN- Sean Pearce
DL - Mark Trumbo

SP Madison Bumgarner, Andrew Cashner, Mat Latos, Danny Duffy, Mike Minor, (streamer spot)
RP Steve Cishek, Hector Rondon, Fransisco Rodriguez

#19 SkinsNoles21

SkinsNoles21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

I offered a guy with terrible hitting and too much pitching Jayson Werth for Homer Bailey.

He responded like I offered him $20 to sleep with his wife.

Weekly 12 Team 6x6 H2H Keeper

Bats:
C: Yan Gomes 1B: Victor Martinez 2B: Jose Altuve (K) 3B: Miguel Cabrera (K) SS: Ben Zobrist OF: Andrew McCutchen (K), Chris Carter, Starling Marte, Util: Josh Donaldson B: Yoenis Cespedes

Arms:
SPs: Corey Kluber (K), Jake Arrieta (K) RPs: Aroldis Chapman, Sean Doolittle Ps: Jeff Samardjiza, James Paxton, Danny Duffy B: Hisashi Iwakuma, James Shields, Wei Yen Chen, Shelby Miller, Yusmeiro Petit 

#20 techmd

techmd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yeah that should have been Zimm+ for Kinsler, not the other way around, but I digress.

I do have by far better luck trading after a conversation with another owner. There's about 4 out of the 11 other owners that I see often enough to have beers with so that's where most of the completed trades I've ever done got accomplished.
H2H, 12 Team, ReDraft, 1st Pick, 6x6 OPS, Reg Season Champ
C: Santana (7.1)
1B: Goldschmidt (3.1)
2B: Phillips (4.12)
SS: Segura
3B: Miggy (1.1)
OF: J. Upton (2.12), OF: Choo (6.12), OF: Gordon (8.12)
Uti: C.Davis (11.1), Uti: Rizzo (t)
BN: R. Davis
SP: Scherzer (t), Grienke(5.1), H.Bailey(14.12), Kluber, Ryu(16.12), Cole
RP: Perkins(15.1), Mujica, Cishek(17.1), Farquhar, Hawkins, Melancon