Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

Now a St. Louis Ram.

'Nuff said?  Nuff said.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Josh Gordon..........(09.13)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - Ifeanyi Momah........(14.02)
RB2: Toby Gerhart...........(02.02)............. RB - Shonn Greene.........(UD.FA)
WR1: Cordarrelle Patterson..(04.09)............. RB - LeGarrette Blount....(09.06)
WR2: Reggie Wayne...........(07.13)............. RB - Bryce Brown..........(11.13)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Jonathan Grimes......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - Theo Riddick.........(15.13)
FLEX2: Tavon Austin.........(10.02)............. RB - Lorezno Taliaferro...(16.02)

#2 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Josh Gordon..........(09.13)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - Ifeanyi Momah........(14.02)
RB2: Toby Gerhart...........(02.02)............. RB - Shonn Greene.........(UD.FA)
WR1: Cordarrelle Patterson..(04.09)............. RB - LeGarrette Blount....(09.06)
WR2: Reggie Wayne...........(07.13)............. RB - Bryce Brown..........(11.13)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Jonathan Grimes......(UD.FA)
FLEX1: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - Theo Riddick.........(15.13)
FLEX2: Tavon Austin.........(10.02)............. RB - Lorezno Taliaferro...(16.02)

#3 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Mediocre passing game and faster defenders on the field

and smaller than the kids that pick up the tee on kick offs.

No thanks.

#4 Sportslife

Sportslife

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Seahawks got a steal for Harvin compared to the trade the Rams gave up to get unproven Austin.

#5 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'd be a lot more excited if he landed in CAR/NO/NYG rather than STL

at least he's not a jet.

#6 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostSportslife, on 25 April 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Seahawks got a steal for Harvin compared to the trade the Rams gave up to get unproven Austin.

Austin comes a LOT cheaper salary wise though, don't forget.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Cam Newton
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Bishop Sankey, Mark Ingram, LeGarrette Blount, DeAngelo Williams
WR: Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Kelvin Benjamin, Justin Hunter, Jordan Matthews, Cecil Shorts
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce

12 Team Redraft, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pts
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Giovani Bernard, Doug Martin, Ray Rice, LeGarrette Blount, Andre Williams, Christine Michael
WR: Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Mike Wallace, Terrance Williams, Tavon Austin
TE: Jordan Cameron, Dennis Pitta, Travis Kelce

#7 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

It was a bad pick if they had given up nothing to get him. With the deal they made its a terrible pick.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#8 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

Simply, they needed to make that offense more dangerous.  I think losing SJax alone clearly downgraded that offense (Pead? please no), and they needed a new weapon to make up for that.  Factor in Amendola gone too, and they desperately needed to add a playmaker (besides Cook) to keep that offense competitive.

I think they also felt they weren't willing to gamble that Brian Quick was going to come around in his second season - check out his thread where I posted a Youtube video of all of Quick's targets from his rookie season, and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

#9 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

I'm going to disagree with everybody, I think it was a good trade and a great pick. What is too much to give up for a special one of a kind talent? He just needs to stay on the field. If he does that, he'll change the entire defensive scheme every single play.

#10 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Austin never missed a practice much less a game in college, demonstrating some durability.  I don't question him being the most dynamic player in the draft, but i do wonder how elusive/explosive he is against NFL competition.

if you factor in the ransom the Skins paid last draft for the #2 pick, they had wiggle room to give up some to get the most dynamic player in this years draft....they had to do something to replace the loss of amendola & gibson.

That being said, barring what happens in the preseason with rookie WRs development/role in offenses, he should be #1 rookie WR drafted.  You don't pay that price to move up and take a guy without plans to utilize him as a rookie.

Just temper expectations for a rookie WR.....outside of some guy named Randy Moss I cant remember the last time a rookie WR was a viable fantasy WR1.  If you're in a dynasty or keeper league, tavon should be targeted early.

#11 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

it's not him, it's the rams.
i don't see anything to get excited about sam bradford dumping off to a smurf with no other help in the passing game.

now if he became brady/brees/eli's new slot WR ... i'd be excited.

#12 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'm basically drafting him the same way I consider drafting DJax, when DJax is actually being utilized heavily.

I think Austin could definitely end up with similar numbers to Randall Cobb last season.  Maybe not 1,000 total receiving yards for the season, but 1,000 combine rushing/receiving yards?  Sure.

#13 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 26 April 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

i don't see anything to get excited about sam bradford dumping off to a smurf with no other help in the passing game.

I expect them to utilize Cook a lot, actually, so I think that will take a little bit of the defense's focus off of Austin (think of how Jermichael Finley gets covered at times for GB).  They also still have Givens, who if on the field at the same time as Austin, has to be accounted for as well.  Even though Brian Quick is still a big question mark, I'm actually a lot less worried about the Rams passing game compared to their running game.

#14 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostRobrain, on 26 April 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I expect them to utilize Cook a lot, actually, so I think that will take a little bit of the defense's focus off of Austin (think of how Jermichael Finley gets covered at times for GB).  They also still have Givens, who if on the field at the same time as Austin, has to be accounted for as well.

I don't want to hijack the thread but Givens is basically Mike Wallace light.  He blew up leagues that give bonuses for big passing plays/long TDs.  He is severely underrated.  Last season teams knew Givens was going long but couldnt stop him.  Assuming the Rams utilize cook better than the titans and with tavon drawing defenses attention underneath, it should open up things big time for Given to go deep.  

Correct me if i'm wrong but according to timelines, didn't Fisher's regime draft Cook, before he departed the titans.  Call me crazy but if you sign a freak athlete to a sizeable contract that you drafted and weren't able to use him as you weren't the coach for that team anymore....odds are you make use of him on your new team.

The big question is does Bradford join the ranks of productive viable fantasy QBs this season, now that he has a complete talented stable of targets??

Edited by Ribobizert, 26 April 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#15 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

I love the Austin landing spot....Bradford made Danny A into a PPR monster.   See no reason at all why Austin can't be in a very similar role.   If the Rams gave that much up to get him...they clearly plan on using him.  I think he has stud potential and right away.   I agree, rookie WRs don't usually take off but I think things are changing in today's NFL.  They will find many ways to get the ball in his hands.

So now if Lacy becomes a Steeler, the real question is who to take between Austin and Lacy....Very close call for me.

#16 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostRob_P, on 26 April 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

I love the Austin landing spot....Bradford made Danny A into a PPR monster.   See no reason at all why Austin can't be in a very similar role.   If the Rams gave that much up to get him...they clearly plan on using him.  I think he has stud potential and right away.   I agree, rookie WRs don't usually take off but I think things are changing in today's NFL.  They will find many ways to get the ball in his hands.

So now if Lacy becomes a Steeler, the real question is who to take between Austin and Lacy....Very close call for me.

when it's close, i always go RB.

i do like austin, i just had high hopes of him joining a really good offense and being a stud from day 1. i didn't think he'd shoot up draft boards as much as he did ... but i'd like to land him as my WR3

#17 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Postpetekrum, on 26 April 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

It was a bad pick if they had given up nothing to get him. With the deal they made its a terrible pick.
Wat. That offense needs weapons. Bradford isn't one of those QBs who can make bad receivers look good. Losing Amendola also hurt them. I have no problem with this pick for the Rams.

View PostBlu Exile, on 26 April 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

I'm going to disagree with everybody, I think it was a good trade and a great pick. What is too much to give up for a special one of a kind talent? He just needs to stay on the field. If he does that, he'll change the entire defensive scheme every single play.
Yep.

it's not him, it's the rams. i don't see anything to get excited about sam bradford dumping off to a smurf with no other help in the passing game. now if he became brady/brees/eli's new slot WR ... i'd be excited.
Ponder is no threat but Percy still found success....... Amendola?

If the Steelers take Lacy, I would put him first. I really don't see anyone competing to be the starting RB.

Edited by Ryan81, 26 April 2013 - 09:46 AM.

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#18 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I actually think Bradford is very talented and still has the opportunity to be a really good NFL QB.  A team without a surefire #1 WR, playing over half its games in a dome, with a good young QB & hopefully improved o-line (Jake Long, Saffold at RT) - Austin landed in a good spot to maximize his fantasy potential in my opinion.

#19 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm not entirely sold on Bradford, but this will be one of those seasons where we really (hopefully) get to see what he can do.  I haven't really written him off yet, I still think he could have that breakout 4,500+ passing yard season.  Thought it would happen while SJax was still on the team, but hey, sometimes things evolve a little slower.

Somewhat unrelated, I was playing franchise mode in Madden the other day, and during one of the offseason free agent bidding periods, the Saints signed Bradford as their new starting QB (Drew Brees had just retired).  And I thought, damn, that has the potential to be a tough team if Bradford steps up.

#20 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

As far as the Lacy vs Austin debate...I agree with the above that I used to always go RB when its close.  But in PPR leagues, Austin's potential seems ridiculously high.  I am probably drinking the kool aid a little too fast but a top 10 pick with his talent...and stepping in to be the clear #1 WR from the get go...with a young QB who is underrated and improving.   Even if Lacy is a Steeler, I am not sure I can pass on Tavon Austin in that offense.  I think he is a lot like Desean Jackson...He just seems a hell of a lot tougher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users