Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

'Ethics' question for Dynasty commissioners

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill's Blitzkrieg

Bill's Blitzkrieg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've been playing in a dynasty league since 2007 and decided to start a new 10 team PPR dynasty league made up of family members and close family friends.  Only two of the members have true dynasty experience, a couple have keeper league experience, all have some level of redraft experience.

I have provided several links prior to our iniital draft to help educate the league about how to successfully run a dynasty team.  The balance between young and old players.  The value of rookie draft picks.  Etc.  As commish, I want people to be successful so they don't get discouraged and want to quit, but as a competitor I figure on some level they need to learn on their own how valuable rookie picks can be.  I've tried to explain based on a number of selections from the other dynasty I'm part of, laying out pick: Trent Richardson 1.1, Russel Wilson falling to 4.4, with other examples sprinkled in over the years at every round.

So here is my dillema: I have an offer on the table to one of the members that's one of the more experienced redraft players.  He came out of the initial draft as one of the top three teams on paper.  He ended up with the 1.4 rookie pick and posted it as trade bait and a potential desire of moving down.

I have 1.1, 2.1, etc.  I offered him 2.1 and 2014 2nd for 1.4, knowing I would never get away with such a trade in my other dynasty, but figuring if the guys wants to take it, it's a lesson in tough love.  He's contemplating the offer, waiting until after the NFL draft to see where guys land, smart move.  What do you guys think?  Should I leave the offer on the table or should I take it off/up the offer since it might set precedent as the commish of the league.  Some of the guys in my other league have been giving me a hard time about it, that i'm taking too much advantage of the lack of knowing the rookie pick value.

Appreciate the replies
~Bill~

10 Team Dynasty/PPR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
QB - Tony Romo / Ben Rothlisberger / Josh McCown
RB - LeSean McCoy / DeMarco Murray / Eddie Lacy / Giovani Berhard / Roy Helu / Mark Engram
WR - Calvin Johnson / Josh Gordon / Dez Bryant / Eric Decker / Mike Wallace / Brian Quick / Da`Rick Rogers
TE - Jordon Cameron / Garret Graham / Rob Housler
TE - Garrett Hartley / Dan Carpenter
DEF - KCC / CIN

Taxi Squad
-----------------
Brock Osweiler (QB DEN)
Kile Davis (RB KCC)
Kenny Stills (WR NOS)
Aaron Dobson (WR NEP)

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

So...lets start with the trade.  Its not exactly a fleecing, in a 10-team league?  He picks up a 2nd next year and move down only 7 spots and its not exactly a great "rookie" draft as very little skill players taken in 1st round, how many rookies are really gonna contribute that much in the next 2-3 years of a 10-team league?

That said, if as a Commissioner you think you are getting away with something, its probably best to take the high ground.  Its better to educate than manipulate if you are truly trying to make owners better, thus having a better league.

I had this discussion with one of my owners last year when there was an issue with one owner calling another owner to pick up players off the WW and change his line up, the result that particular week worked great as both of those guys had great weeks, one a career week and the scrub team ended up winning and beating a team the owner who made the call was contending with.  It was a move that a commissioner cant do.

My view as an owner/commissioner in both a successful football and baseball league is to my the league first, my team second.  If I see an improvement or a loophole, I close it, I dont exploit it.

Edited by parrothead, 26 April 2013 - 11:50 AM.

Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:46 AM

I think the fact that you are even questioning the fairness of a trade you proposed to a novice and posted about this asking for advice, should give you your answer.    

It's a friends and family league with inexperienced dynasty players, do the right thing.  We're not talking about a money league...or is it? but even if it was for money that only heightens my personal desire to veto/call out a trade i deem unfair.  As Commish you should make an even bigger effort to be fair.

Though if it makes you feel better that's not a reeeediculous unfair trade.  This year is supposedly a down yr for skill position players: 2-3 WRs, maybe 1 QB, and 4-6 RBs, 1 TE = 8-11 players with significant projected long term value (imo there are no elite players in this yrs draft). So it's not like the kid is giving up big time trading down 7 spots.  Depending how next season unfolds there is likely to be more viable options, but even then there's only a handful of cant miss elite prospects, like Calvin and Peyton. Since RBs are being discounted and give the current state of RBs having an extra 2nd to take a lottery ticket on a RB in 2014 isn't that crazzzy (not a move i would make though).

Ultimately you should do what your gut tells you, which seems to be kill the trade.  However if you trust the experience/fantasy IQ of the league, let them vote on it...as unless its not in your league constitution, aren't all trades subject for veto even if your fantasy site isn't sending you a trade alert to vote on?

#4 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

i forgot to mention even if this guy is a novice.....if there's no money involved and the other manager is some s--- talker that thinks he's better than he really is or is your hated brother in law you had to let in the league due to family obligation I'm not opposed to you letting the trade slide.

#5 Bill's Blitzkrieg

Bill's Blitzkrieg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  A few points I wanted to add:
This leage consists of family and close family friends, so there is a good amount of smack talking and taunting occuring.  It's a low cost league, only $15, so as not to discourage anyone away from the league because of league dues.

There are varying degrees of experience among the guys in this league; Matt Ryan was taken 1.2 while Kapernick was taken 1.5 in a 4pt / pass td league for example. I would never try a trade like this with one of them, in fact, i've made a self resolution that i would not approach those teams with a trade offer until they get some experience with this format under their belts and realize the value of rookie picks.

Knowing this was the first time a number of the guys has played in a dynasty, i offered question and answer sessions, gave them links to dynasty FF web sites, gave the links to our long running dynasty league where the could go back and look at how past rookie drafts and trades landed.  I set up about a 3 week period priot to our initial draft for the guys to do research about the format and player rankings.  There has been about 4 weeks between iniital draft and rookie draft (kicking off tomorrow morning).

In regards to the trade, the guy contemplating the offer is a close frend of my brother's.  My brother is co-commish and I talked to him about the trade and, although he agrees the trade would be greatly skewed in my favor, the guy contemplating the offer has played FF for a number of years and does know what he's doing, if not the value of dynasty rookie picks.  After running through some of the 'bad' trades that occured in another dynasty we are in, one that has been going for 7 years now, we've decided to let the offer stand and if he accepts, it willl be a lesson in tough love.  Hell, maybe it turns out in his favor and the palyer taken 1.4 goes all Titus Young.  :-P

If you are curious about the 'bad' trades in the other league, a couple come to mind:
  • 1st rd pick for Earnest Graham AFTER Graham was declared the non-starter
  • 2 1st rd picks for Brian Robiskie
  • 2 1st rd picks for Tony Romy
Again, thansk for the feedback guys.
~Bill~

10 Team Dynasty/PPR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
QB - Tony Romo / Ben Rothlisberger / Josh McCown
RB - LeSean McCoy / DeMarco Murray / Eddie Lacy / Giovani Berhard / Roy Helu / Mark Engram
WR - Calvin Johnson / Josh Gordon / Dez Bryant / Eric Decker / Mike Wallace / Brian Quick / Da`Rick Rogers
TE - Jordon Cameron / Garret Graham / Rob Housler
TE - Garrett Hartley / Dan Carpenter
DEF - KCC / CIN

Taxi Squad
-----------------
Brock Osweiler (QB DEN)
Kile Davis (RB KCC)
Kenny Stills (WR NOS)
Aaron Dobson (WR NEP)