Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Montee Ball 2013 Season OutlookHC Fox says Ball is a complete, every down RB.

• Please log in to reply
863 replies to this topic

#1 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Coach John Fox insists the Broncos aren't concerned about No. 58 pick Montee Ball's 924 college carries.
The Broncos see it as a positive, as Ball has proven himself a bellcow back. He's going to be that in Denver. "I don't think it's wear and tear," said Fox. "I think it looks like he can handle the workload." VP of Football Operations John Elway also revealed the Broncos haggled between Ball and Eddie Lacy at No. 58. Lacy went three picks later to Green Bay. "It was a close call," Elway said. "It came down to the medical (report)."

I didn't have Ball on my draft watch list due to his extensive college use, but situation warrants a look.  Moreno has had 2 knee surgeries in 2 years.  McGahee is on the wrong side of 30 and is coming off torn MCL & broken leg.  Fannin has torn his achilles and ACL all before age 25.  Elway says Hillman is a change of pace back.

The door appears wide open for Ball to step in and become an every down force for the Broncos.  Fox is apparently not worried about the tread left on Ball's tires rather see it as proof of durability and experience.

Edited by scienergy, 27 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#2 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I think he is solid. My favorite RB from this class, good landing spot.

I will draft him and then name my team, 'The Full Montee'.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#3 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

He's got the opportunity - so for 2013, he'll likely be the #2 rookie RB behind Bernard.   As I said in the NFL draft thread, as a Broncos fan I would have taken Lacy or Franklin hands-down over Ball - but for 2013 there's no denying he'll get the touches and opportunity, McGahee is as good as toast.  Much like Vick Ballard in IND, if you have the opportunity and the O is great, those can trump overall skills.  As much as I dislike the pick (because he's not a home run hitter or a huge thumper, and he's got huge mileage, and frankly, there were 3 better RB's available at that slot, but I digress...), you have to upgrade him to a real FFB threat at RB for 2013.

In real-life terms, I suspect he'll go down as the 5th-6th best back in this draft when it's all said and done - but FFB-wise, for 2013, you have to put him there with Bernard & ahead of Bell in the 2013 rookie class, given the O he's in, the lack of true competition, and the likelihood the Broncos will be sitting on leads in the 2H for their AFC West games (and other blowouts).

P.S.  Elway & the FO are kidding themselves if they don't think workload is a red flag.  This isn't even debatable.  Oh well...Broncos' shortsightedness is the Pack's gain.  Again, this has zero bearing on 2013, as I'm thinking of 2015 onwards (crazy to think a rookie will start to wear out after 2-3 seasons), just in the vent phase of my fan grief....
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#4 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

View Postpredator_05, on 27 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Handcuff him with Lance Ball and you can roll with the 2BallB*tches.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#5 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

The heavy usage in college doesn't bother me. The mileage really starts to count when you get to the pros.

#6 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostProteus, on 27 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

View Postpredator_05, on 27 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Handcuff him with Lance Ball and you can roll with the 2BallB*tches.

Or better yet - draft Montee and the Seattle Defense and you'll have team 'Ball Sacks'

#7 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 28 April 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

The heavy usage in college doesn't bother me. The mileage really starts to count when you get to the pros.

Completely agree on the college carries/mileage issue, it's totally overblown as a worry.  Dude's only 22 years old.  As a comparison, here's a list of some of the other RB career carries leaders from the NCAA:

Ricky Williams - 1011, Herschel Walker - 994, DeAngelo Williams - 969, Thurmon Thomas - 956, LaDainian - 943, Michael Turner - 940, Montee - 924, Ray Rice - 910.  All of these guys turned out just fine in the NFL, right?

I had gone on record by saying PIT or GB would be a good landing spot for him but going to DEN may be even better far his fantasy outlook.  We'll see how things shake out in training camp and preseason but the opportunity is there for Ball to have a huge rookie season.  The only thing that will hold him back is if the team keeps McGahee and/or doesn't give Montee the starting RB job.

I've watched almost every Wisconsin game over these last 3 seasons and will say that Ball's not the fastest guy but he's quick enough and has a tremendous nose for the end zone.  More importantly, his vision and instinct in seeing the hole early and knowing where to run is phenomenal.  It's still way early but I see myself targeting Montee on all my teams.

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Anyone remember Edge's rookie year in a Peyton Manning led offense? Giddy-Up!!
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#9 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Willis McGahee through the first 10 games - 167/731/4 and 26/221
Knowshon Moreno the remaing 6 games - 130/510/3 and 21/167

So combine that and you have roughly 300 carries for 1,241 yards and 7 TDs + 47 receptions for 388 yards.

Both of these RBs were good, not elite. But the situation for RBs in Denver is great with Manning there. If this kid even looks like he'll be getting the full workload, I'll make sure he's on my team.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#10 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 29 April 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Completely agree on the college carries/mileage issue, it's totally overblown as a worry.  Dude's only 22 years old.  As a comparison, here's a list of some of the other RB career carries leaders from the NCAA:

Ricky Williams - 1011, Herschel Walker - 994, DeAngelo Williams - 969, Thurmon Thomas - 956, LaDainian - 943, Michael Turner - 940, Montee - 924, Ray Rice - 910.  All of these guys turned out just fine in the NFL, right?

I had gone on record by saying PIT or GB would be a good landing spot for him but going to DEN may be even better far his fantasy outlook.  We'll see how things shake out in training camp and preseason but the opportunity is there for Ball to have a huge rookie season.  The only thing that will hold him back is if the team keeps McGahee and/or doesn't give Montee the starting RB job.

I've watched almost every Wisconsin game over these last 3 seasons and will say that Ball's not the fastest guy but he's quick enough and has a tremendous nose for the end zone.  More importantly, his vision and instinct in seeing the hole early and knowing where to run is phenomenal.  It's still way early but I see myself targeting Montee on all my teams.

The thing is, all of those guys you quoted - they also had very special skill sets, or were big-time bruisers.    The list also leaves out the guys who were big-time bellcow backs for 2-3 years, but who weren't special backs skills-wise.  I agree the NCAA miles don't matter as much as NFL miles - but they do matter if the skill set isn't elite, and it isn't here with Ball.  Ball's best skill is his vision, and his willingness to hit the hole hard - but IMO he doesn't the lateral quickness make guys miss at the NFL level, or have the extra gear, and he's not the same kind of bruiser that you get with Lacy - I doubt he can run over guys in the NFL and fall forward with his physique and lack of speed.  

Again, none of this takes away from the fact he's got the best fantasy RB situation for 2013.  That's a given.  I just suspect we'll be seeing DEN looking for another RB solution in another 2 years, or worse yet, next draft (more likely it's 2 years).  Again, I'm saying this as a Bronco fan, not in terms of fantasy - there's no denying he's either the top or 2nd rookie RB that should go, being in that O, and assuming McGahee gets cut (which as much as I have my concerns about Ball, no reason to keep McGahee over him).  And believe me, as I said in the draft thread and here, I truly hope I'm wrong...
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#11 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 29 April 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 29 April 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

The thing is, all of those guys you quoted - they also had very special skill sets, or were big-time bruisers. The list also leaves out the guys who were big-time bellcow backs for 2-3 years, but who weren't special backs skills-wise.  I agree the NCAA miles don't matter as much as NFL miles - but they do matter if the skill set isn't elite, and it isn't here with Ball.  Ball's best skill is his vision, and his willingness to hit the hole hard - but IMO he doesn't the lateral quickness make guys miss at the NFL level, or have the extra gear, and he's not the same kind of bruiser that you get with Lacy - I doubt he can run over guys in the NFL and fall forward with his physique and lack of speed.  

Again, none of this takes away from the fact he's got the best fantasy RB situation for 2013.  That's a given.  I just suspect we'll be seeing DEN looking for another RB solution in another 2 years, or worse yet, next draft (more likely it's 2 years).  Again, I'm saying this as a Bronco fan, not in terms of fantasy - there's no denying he's either the top or 2nd rookie RB that should go, being in that O, and assuming McGahee gets cut (which as much as I have my concerns about Ball, no reason to keep McGahee over him).  And believe me, as I said in the draft thread and here, I truly hope I'm wrong...

I believe in his ability to have long-term success in the NFL as a solid RB.  We'll see though.  The biggest worry that I have for 2013 is that HC John Fox has a terrible track record when it comes to him playing rookie RB.  If McGahee is still on the roster week 1, this will be a huge problem for Ball.

#12 Taxman

Taxman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'll be watching what Fox says about pass protection with Ball as well as any other rookie.  If he does this well, he plays. Let Peyton take a big hit and sit.
1st Fantasy pick ever Thurman Thomas #3 Overall.  Should have taken Jerry Rice.

#13 ILoveArt

ILoveArt

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Great spot for him. The incumbents both finished the year in the hospital, by default the job is his. He'll have no obstacles to proving himself.

#14 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostILoveArt, on 02 May 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

Great spot for him. The incumbents both finished the year in the hospital, by default the job is his. He'll have no obstacles to proving himself.

I wish it were this simple because Ball is the most talented RB on the DEN roster and has the most fantasy potential for 2013.  However, it seems that the team is willing to keep both McGahee and Moreno plus they have Hillman entering year 2 as a change of pace guy.  The team keeping or cutting McGahee will be the key to Ball's 2013 fantasy value.

#15 WesternSociety

WesternSociety

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Should we get this hype train going?  Coaches talked him up, and basically every running back that lines up behind Peyton has fantastic numbers because of Peyton's vision and audible ability.  He's not the flashiest runner but I believe he is going to be a tremendous value if he can protect Peyton when necessary.

#16 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Vegas O/u on montee's carries is 185

Let's not put pedal to the metal just yet.

#17 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostWesternSociet[size=4]y, on 14 May 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

[/size]
and basically every running back that lines up behind Peyton has fantastic numbers because of Peyton's vision and audible ability.

ALMOST every running back...

#18 WesternSociety

WesternSociety

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

"GOD DAMNIT DONALD" I wonder how much Peyton would have hated having David Wilson on his team

#19 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostWesternSociety, on 16 May 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

"GOD DAMNIT DONALD" I wonder how much Peyton would have hated having David Wilson on his team

He can just ask his brother

#20 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Damn ESPN has this guy ranked in the 30s and going for $18 in auction. At this ADP, he might be disappointing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users