22 replies to this topic

#1 shypri

shypri

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

It drives me crazy reading in blurbs. "He has a tough test next week facing the Nationals @ home". "Should get back on track against a slumping Brewers offense"......

Maybe we could rank the offenses. One ranking for pitching away and one for pitching at home. Should help streaming and benching. My lists would look like this atm

pitching away: sit em there > start em there
1@Colorado
2@Detroit
3@Texas
4@Boston
5@Cincinatti
6@Atlanta
7@Baltimore
8@Yankees
9@Anaheim
10@Toronto
11@Milwaukee
12@Philadelphia
13@Arizona
14@St Louis
15@White Sox
16@Kansas City
17@Oakland
18@Tampa Bay
19@Cleveland
20@San Francisco
21@Cubs
22@Washington
23@Mets
24@Dodgers
25@Pittsburgh
26@Minnesota
27@Seattle
28@San Diego
29@Miami
30@Houston

pitching at home:

1 vs.Detroit
2 vs.Anaheim
3 vs.Atlanta
4 vs.Boston
5 vs.Texas
6 vs.Oakland
7 vs.Kansas City
8 vs.Baltimore
9 vs.Yankees
10 vs.St Louis
11 vs.Toronto
12 vs.Dodgers
13 vs.Milwaukee
14 vs. Washington
15 vs.San Francisco
16 vs.Tampa Bay
17 vs.Cincinatti
18 vs.Cleveland
19 vs.Minnesota
20 vs.Philadelphia
21 vs.Pittsburgh
22 vs.Colorado
23 vs.Mets
24 vs.White Sox
25 vs.Arizona
26 vs.San Diego
27 vs.Seattle
28 vs.Cubs
29 vs.Miami
30 vs.Houston
10 team league (includes OPS and BB for hitters, K/BB and QS for pitchers)

C : Santana
1B: Freeman
2B: Carpenter
3B: Miggy
SS: JJ Hardy
IF: Cuddyer
LF: Prado
CF: Choo
RF: Heyward
OF: Stanton
UTI: Crisp
UTI:Moustakas

SP: Verlander, Cobb, Lester, Fister, Cueto, Kennedy, TyRoss, Paxton, Smyly
RP:  Rosenthal, Robertson, Soria, Parnell

#2 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

lets just be real straight right now. Avoid St Louis at all cost. they are 7 deep
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member   Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#3 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Avoid the Red Sox @ Fenway. If I can offer any newbie a piece of advice it's that. Unless you're throwing an ace out there it's just not worth it. The Red Sox @ Fenway has a potential to kill ratios or lose you a week. The Yankees in general because those pinstripes apparently have magical powers, @COL is a safe bet to avoid. Though I tossed Dickey out there today figuring the Yankees are starting Overbay and Boesch and I got burned in one league. So go figure.

I have targeted the Mets (H/A), SD (H), HOU(H/A), CHC (H/A) and MIA (H/A).

#4 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 28 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

Avoid the Red Sox @ Fenway. If I can offer any newbie a piece of advice it's that. Unless you're throwing an ace out there it's just not worth it. The Red Sox @ Fenway has a potential to kill ratios or lose you a week. The Yankees in general because those pinstripes apparently have magical powers, @COL is a safe bet to avoid. Though I tossed Dickey out there today figuring the Yankees are starting Overbay and Boesch and I got burned in one league. So go figure.

I have targeted the Mets (H/A), SD (H), HOU(H/A), CHC (H/A) and MIA (H/A).

Those are mine too.  I also have the Mariners on that list.  They have so many just putrid awful hitters on there team.  Low BB, High K guys.  You can usually rack strikeouts up by starting guys against them in most locations.  Minnesota after there top 4 may the worst in the league, just so many awful hitters.  I am going to expose them this season as well.

#5 njfoses

njfoses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

http://baseballmonst...tyRankings.aspx

#6 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Five best matchups IMO:
1.  Miami Home and Away- A bunch of punch and judy hitters.  Donovan Solano was hitting 5th today LOL.  Stanton may hit a bomb, but the rest of that lineup does nothing.  No one besides Stanton is slugging over .400.  Easily the worst lineup in the league.

2.  Houston Home and Away-  Just enormous K totals, terrible approach.  Have a few guys who can run into a ball, but you're ensured big K totals.

3. Cubs Home and Away-  Not a slam dunk.  The top 4 in the lineup (DeJesus, Castro, Rizzo, Soriano) can do damage on a given day, but they still possess a team OPS of .679 and the bottom of the lineup is awful.

4. Mariners at Home- Seager's pretty solid, Morales is OK, Morse has power but is a complete hacker.  Saunders is coming back and is decent.  But the rest of that lineup is just pathetic.  A team .668 OPS at Safeco and they are awful there every year.

5. San Diego at Home- Padres actually have some solid hitters, but Petco is still the premier pitcher's park in the league.  The Mets at home could make a case for this as well.

Five Worst Matchups IMO:
1. Colorado at Home- No brainer.  Very few pitchers I would start there.  The Rockies have an .807 OPS as a team at home so far.

2. Boston at Home- Fenway is a brutal place to pitch and that lineup has been better than expected so far.

3. Cincinnati at Home- The Great American Bandbox is no joke.

4. Texas at Home- Lineup is a little down from the past, but Arlington is still an absolutely terrible place to pitch.

5. Detroit at Home- Edges out St Louis for me.  Once Martinez gets going, that lineup is going to be frightening.

Edited by mjk356, 28 April 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Offenses I avoid:
NYY - Yankee Stadium is a launching pad and even though there lineup isn't as strong as in year's past, they are still putting up runs.
BAL - The O's have a solid offense. McLouth is great at the top and Markakis/Jones/Davis have also been real strong this year.
BOS - Fenway is proving that it can kill pitchers again this year. I don't feel comfortable starting guys against them.
DET - They're built from top to bottom. Probably the top lineup in the AL.
OAK (road only) - O.Co is a big park that helps pitchers pitch, but that offense is still underratedly good on the road.
LAA - That lineup is going to wake up soon, and I don't want it to be against my pitcher.
ATL - They'll have hot and cold stretches, but can also be very dangerous with Upton/Freeman/Gattis leading the charge
STL - They are just a very good offense. Anyone in the lineup can hurt you, so I generally stay away.
CIN - Choo/Votto/Phillips/Frazier have been great so far, plus GABP is a top park for homers (or at least was)
COL (home only) - Never play a pitcher in Coors field. That's rule #1 for playing matchups.

Offenses I stream against:
OAK (home only) - It's mainly just because I tend to play their pitchers at home.
SEA - Their lineup has some truly horrid hitters. I don't understand how Ackley/Bay/Andino/Ryan are still in a MLB lineup.
HOU - The lineup has potential to score runs, but they make up for it with K's they pile up. It's a shame Brett Wallace got demoted.
MIA - Stanton is the only hitter in the lineup that can do any damage to a pitcher. That lineup is putrid.
PIT (road only) - This one may be mistaken, but aren't they just horrible hitting on the road?
CHC - If the wind isn't blowing out, the lineup doesn't have much that will hurt a pitcher.
SD - Another lineup that has few pieces. PetCo is a big park, and almost any pitcher is safe to start there.

The rest of the offenses don't really stick out as matchup plays.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 28 April 2013 - 09:43 PM.

Bring back Ray!

RotoJunction.com

#8 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

View Postmjk356, on 28 April 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Five best matchups:
1.  Miami Home and Away- A bunch of punch and judy hitters.  Donovan Solano was hitting 5th today LOL.  Stanton may hit a bomb, but the rest of that lineup does nothing.  No one besides Stanton is slugging over .400.  Easily the worst lineup in the league.

2.  Houston Home and Away-  Just enormous K totals, terrible approach.  Have a few guys who can run into a ball, but you're ensured big K totals.

3. Cubs Home and Away-  Not a slam dunk.  The top 4 in the lineup (DeJesus, Castro, Rizzo, Soriano) can do damage on a given day, but they still possess a team OPS of .679 and the bottom of the lineup is awful.

4. Mariners at Home- Seager's pretty solid, Morales is OK, Morse has power but is a complete hacker.  Saunders is coming back and is decent.  But the rest of that lineup is just pathetic.  A team .668 OPS at Safeco and they are awful there every year.

5. San Diego at Home- Padres actually have some solid hitters, but Petco is still the premier pitcher's park in the league.

Five Worst Matchups
1. Colorado at Home- No brainer.  Very few pitchers I would start there.  The Rockies have an .807 OPS as a team at home so far.

2. Boston at Home- Fenway is a brutal place to pitch and that lineup has been better than expected so far.

4. Texas at Home- Lineup is a little down from the past, but Arlington is still an absolutely terrible place to pitch.

5. Detroit at Home- Edges out St Louis for me.  Once Martinez gets going, that lineup is going to be frightening.

Great post. I'll add to help others out here:

For those in need of strikeouts:

1. Houston Astros - 27.4% of the time an Astros hitter strikes out. Home or Away it's a no brainer.
2. Atlanta Braves - 24.5% Uggla (35.3%) Francisco (34.8%), R. Johnson (32%), BJ Upton (31%). Freeman and Upton are both over 25% as well. There's danger, obviously, but if you have a pitcher with a solid K-Rate it might be worth the risk.
3. White Sox - 23.2% - Flowers (36.9%), Wise (36.8%), Dayan (33.3%), Dunn (33.3%), De Aza, (29.2%), Danks, Gillaspie, and Beckham all over 20% with limited skill to hurt you).

Also wOBA has the best offenses in baseball as:

1. Rockies
2. Red Sox
3. Athletics
4. Yankees
5. Rangers

Solid list there. Your most patient teams (take a look at your pitchers BB%, if it's over 8% avoid the following high OBP teams:

1. Tigers
2. Rockies
3. Red Sox
4. Athletics
5. Dodgers
5b. Reds

#9 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Combine this with pitcher friendly umpires and you'll have quite the leg up
Everybody panic

#10 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

This is why this board is the best around
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Boaegerts SS-Peralta OF-Choo,Crisp,Morse
SP-Cueto,Gray,A.Wood,Peavy,Ventura,Harrison
BN-Venable,Ackley,R Davis,Victorino
DL-Kershaw.Holland,Calhoun,Profar

#11 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

View Postkidtwentytwo, on 28 April 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

Combine this with pitcher friendly umpires and you'll have quite the leg up

If only I could stalk Runge for an entire season! If anyone can find that data...I know I've looked in the past.

#12 Armalite

Armalite

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

Rockies away from Coors I'm not afraid of.

Toronto Blue Jays right now I'll stream against in more pitcher friendly parks. Their offense is sputtering and their pitching has been atrocious.

Miami home and away.

Houston home and away.

But the thing is I wont start a pitcher I don't trust against anyone.

#13 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

View Postmjk356, on 28 April 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Five best matchups IMO:

5. San Diego at Home- Padres actually have some solid hitters, but Petco is still the premier pitcher's park in the league.  The Mets at home could make a case for this as well.

Five Worst Matchups IMO:

I agree with almost all of this but I think the Reds are a bit overrated. They are inconsistent and they do have a lot of K's in that lineup, even their good hitters (Choo, Bruce, Frazier) will punch out.  I would put Detroit at 3 and STL in there somewhere.

#14 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

Only reason I had Cincy that high is the Great American Bandbox.  That park is just an absolute joke.  It's the only park in the league that gives up cheap homers to dead center field.  Just a comically small park.  I do agree with you that Detroit and St Louis have better lineups all around than Cincy, but much less hitter-friendly ballparks.  They're all scary matchups at home.

#15 edwin23

edwin23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

It's been said a few times, but @Oak may not be the same place to stream against as it was before. A very patient team although it's made up mostly of no name players.
OF: Justin Upton

#16 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

View Postnjfoses, on 28 April 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

PERFECT!  Thanks....
"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#17 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Adding the White Sox as one to exploit no matter the venue
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Boaegerts SS-Peralta OF-Choo,Crisp,Morse
SP-Cueto,Gray,A.Wood,Peavy,Ventura,Harrison
BN-Venable,Ackley,R Davis,Victorino
DL-Kershaw.Holland,Calhoun,Profar

#18 pnoozi

pnoozi

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Phillies.  Target.

Edited by pnoozi, 04 May 2013 - 08:38 PM.

Check out the Highlights extension in the Chrome Web Store! Watch the most recent video highlights for your fantasy players, seamlessly integrated into your lineup page.

#19 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Going to update this thread with a few notes.  The Marlins have separated themselves as the clear #1 option.  Here are the numbers.  A .599 OPS as a team, over 50 points lower than any other team.  They have 23 homers as a team, worst in the majors.  They're on pace to shatter the futility of the legendary 2010 Mariners, who had a .637 team OPS with 101 homers as a team.  The Mariners averaged 3.1 runs per game that year, the Marlins are at 2.6.  This may be the worst offense in the live ball era.

Some other notes: Washington has the second worst team OPS in the league, at .653.  They obviously have some guys who can hurt you, but that offense has been really awful

Philadelphia is a horrid offense, 26th in team OPS, particularly if Utley misses time.  Ton of low OBP hackers.  I started Bronson Arroyo the other day against them with supreme confidence.  And Arroyo delivered a gem.

A team to avoid who doesn't quite have that rep yet is Cleveland.  Leading MLB in team OPS and homers.  They have a lot of hitters who wear pitchers down, grind out ABs, and see a lot of pitches.

#20 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

My new bottom 5 for reason of exploitation is:

1. Miami
2. Cubs
3. Mets
4. Mariners
5. Phillies

Nats are due for some stat corrections as everyone gets back healthy.  They are going to go on a scoring barrage.  Houston has graduated out of the top 5.  If Brett "windmill" Wallace comes back they will rejoin the distinct top 5 again.  I will still start most guys with confidence vs. them.  There lineup is a bunch of hacks, but they do run into a longball every now and again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users