Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Jason Collins 2013 Season Outlookcomes out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,750 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Posted Image

Wizards C Jason Collins revealed he is gay, making him the first openly homosexual athlete in the history of major American team sports.
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#2 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Just heard this news on the radio, on my way to work.  

I certainly hope that his family, current/former teammates, and the world will show him a wealth of support.

#3 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,013 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

It'll be a fine, fine day in this world where this type of revelation won't be considered newsworthy.  Good for him and good luck to him.  Apparently his twin brother was thunderstruck when Jason told him.  Apparently, twins don't share everything.  He's also an UFA so hopefully this has no impact on his ability to find a job.

Let's all try to keep comments on this subject above board.  Thanks.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#4 Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Good for him. Must have been tough being a closeted gay man playing in the NBA. And being a 7-footer makes it difficult for any type of privacy in public.

#5 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,389 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Best of luck to Collins.  It takes a lot of courage to be a pioneer and to break barriers, so kudos to Jason Collins for coming out.  Let's hope his revelation breaks down the barrier so that athletes being gay isn't viewed as a big deal anymore.

#6 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Only a matter of time before other athletes follow suit, its 2013 no longer a big deal to come out. Now waiting on Te'o to do the same.
30 team (9-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league 1st year
G: CP3, J. Butler, J. Jack, S. Livingston, P. Prigioni
F: T. Harris, C. Frye, B. Diaw, M. Miller
C: M. Gasol, B. Wright

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league  6th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  
SF: N. Batum,  J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis

#7 encircled

encircled

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Doc Rivers on Collins

#8 markdash

markdash

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Good for him. I hate Stanford but I respect the hell out of the guy for coming out.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
                                                        -G.K. Chesterton

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its students."

#9 BillWalton

BillWalton

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Real good to see. You can tell that its tough to be gay in sports when a guy who's made millions and has had a pretty easy life due to sport says stuff like this

I've endured years of misery and gone to enormous lengths to live a lie. I was certain that my world would fall apart if anyone knew.

This gives young, gay athletes someone to look up to and relate to. This is a real good thing.
Rankings (#1-#50, #51-#100, and #101-#151) now up!!!

For rankings, sleepers, busts, and team building advice visit

www.EliteFantasyBasketball.com

#10 Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

And here we go, from the receiver who only runs 1 route in the NFL:

... Miami Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace!!

Just HOURS after NBA player Jason Collins announced he's gay, 26-year-old Wallace took right to Twitter to provide the first ignorant comment.

“All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH (shakin' my head) …”

30 minutes later, Wallace deleted his tweet and replaced it with a half-assed explanation:

"Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended."

http://www.tmz.com/2...eet-homophobic/

#11 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostKobe_No_Means_No, on 29 April 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Just HOURS after NBA player Jason Collins announced he's gay, 26-year-old Wallace took right to Twitter to provide the first ignorant comment.

“All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH (shakin' my head) …”

30 minutes later, Wallace deleted his tweet and replaced it with a half-assed explanation:

"Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended."

Lol...I feel the same way Mike.  I like how the media spins anyone with a varying opinion from theirs.  They are labeled homophobic or a bigot.  I'm over other peoples love lives.  Let gays marry and come out in public.  Society changes.
Everybody panic

#12 Heavy_Jon

Heavy_Jon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Ok... But he's still irrelevant to me.
Great size but not very talented, just a big to absorb fouls that amazingly still plays (get paid to be depth) in the NBA. If I'm not wrong this dude was a Nets member in that 2003 NBA finals against San Antonio, and that my friends, represent a truly testament to the mediocre level of that eastern conference in those days.
I don't even see this as news, but oh well...

#13 DrGonzo

DrGonzo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

It must have been hard to make the decision to come out like that, and good on him.
My biggest concern now is that he is a UFA and an end of the bench type player (let's face it, he is not a difference maker!). Will teams now feel obliged to make offers or risk sounding like they are discriminating against him?

#14 seeL

seeL

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Should've just kept his thoughts inside his mind instead of tweeting it then saying sorry.
"Lude enixe. Lude juste."

#15 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

he was never relevent in fantasy.
but good for him.
9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Bledsoe, Lawson, Collison, C Lee
F - Kawhi, Parsons, C Butler, Dunleavy, Booker

C - Sullinger, Pekovic,

#16 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

View Postbinhdvu83, on 29 April 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Only a matter of time before other athletes follow suit, its 2013 no longer a big deal to come out. Now waiting on Te'o to do the same.

Pure Gold.

#17 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostseeL, on 29 April 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Should've just kept his thoughts inside his mind instead of tweeting it then saying sorry.

If people are expressing these views in the public forum you can imagine what gets said in the locker room away from the media.

#18 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

Good for Jason.  He is a definite role model for others to follow.  Also, although what Mike said was distasteful, he is allowed to have his own opinion.

#19 RAEF715

RAEF715

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 29 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

It'll be a fine, fine day in this world where this type of revelation won't be considered newsworthy.  Good for him and good luck to him.  Apparently his twin brother was thunderstruck when Jason told him.  Apparently, twins don't share everything.  He's also an UFA so hopefully this has no impact on his ability to find a job.

Let's all try to keep comments on this subject above board.  Thanks.

true, as long as the opposite holds true, that those who have reasons for not approving of homosexuality itself  are allowed to state that fact without fear of retribution themselves. will be interesting to see what happens with Chris Broussard of ESPN.
Collins made sexuality an announcement, and in response to that Broussard gave his opinion without being anti-Jason Collins.
Discrimination against either would be wrong.
1 month to the 2013 us open right here at Merion.

#20 os_gamejunkie

os_gamejunkie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostseeL, on 29 April 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

He's entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else. Not everyone has to agree with his lifestyle or decision.

Regardless, I personally find the story irrevelant because he's an irrevelant basketball player. In other words, he had nothing to loose. When an All-Star/HoF caliber player comes out at the peak of his career then it will be big deal IMO.
"Essentially, it takes an MVP performance all year long to win the Triple Crown." Steve Phillips