Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

KEEPERS! Pick 3.It's never too early...


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 smeeze

smeeze

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Rock

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Cam Newton, QB, CAR
Julio Jones, WR, ATL
Demaryius Thomas, WR, DEN
Percy Harvin, WR, SEA
Stevan Ridley, RB, NE
Jimmy Graham, TE, NO

QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, FLEX, K, DST.  99% of the top RBs are being kept, besides the rookie RBs.  6 pt TDs including QB rushing.  I pick 9/12 in a snake draft.  Help.
10 Team / H2H / 5x5

C Carlos Santana
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Melky Cabrera
UTIL Mike Napoli, Dee Gordon
BN Desmond Jennings, Adam Eaton, Billy Butler

SP Stephen Strasburg, Felix Hernandez, Andrew Cashner, Jordan Zimmermann
P Matt Garza, Dan Straily, Drew Smyly, Tanner Roark
P Corey Kluber, Jenrry Mejia, Kyle Gibson, Trevor Bauer (NA)
RP ...
DL Chris Sale, Doug Fister, James Paxton
NA Archie Bradley

#2 dirtywhiteboy

dirtywhiteboy

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The 209

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Jones
Harvin
Graham

#3 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Wow, tough call. I always like to make RB my top priority but I think I'd have to go with Thomas, Julio, and Graham.

I don't think you can go wrong here, though. You could make a case for keeping any of these guys and they should all be pretty valuable in 2013.

#4 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

1) Graham
2) Julio
3) Harvin or DT (my preference is Harvin but it's splitting hairs between them, and i think espns new ranks have DT at 6 Harvin at 7)

Its hard for me to suggest 2 WR over a RB when there are so many viable WR and so few RBs, but i am a Ridley non believer.  Not going to go overboard on beating up in Ridley, but Bill plays hot hand, there were games last yr he didn't get majority carries, Boulden looked great before he got injured, etc.)  

I would go RB draft crazy, prolly 4 of my first 5 picks- especially since you have all your required WR and TE.  Hurts to let go of Cam but there are 12 legit fantasy QBs, so unless someone doubles up- you'll get a QB that theoretically isn't going to screw you.
If your league allows draft pick trades I would start making trades and shipping off some of the premium players you are being forced to discard for picks.

#5 smeeze

smeeze

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Rock

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostRibobizert, on 02 May 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

1) Graham
2) Julio
3) Harvin or DT (my preference is Harvin but it's splitting hairs between them, and i think espns new ranks have DT at 6 Harvin at 7)

Its hard for me to suggest 2 WR over a RB when there are so many viable WR and so few RBs, but i am a Ridley non believer.  Not going to go overboard on beating up in Ridley, but Bill plays hot hand, there were games last yr he didn't get majority carries, Boulden looked great before he got injured, etc.)  

I would go RB draft crazy, prolly 4 of my first 5 picks- especially since you have all your required WR and TE.  Hurts to let go of Cam but there are 12 legit fantasy QBs, so unless someone doubles up- you'll get a QB that theoretically isn't going to screw you.
If your league allows draft pick trades I would start making trades and shipping off some of the premium players you are being forced to discard for picks.

Thanks for the help.   The way our league works is we cannot make trades until after 3 keepers are announced.  So the guys that get cut loose are just tossed back into the draft.
10 Team / H2H / 5x5

C Carlos Santana
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Melky Cabrera
UTIL Mike Napoli, Dee Gordon
BN Desmond Jennings, Adam Eaton, Billy Butler

SP Stephen Strasburg, Felix Hernandez, Andrew Cashner, Jordan Zimmermann
P Matt Garza, Dan Straily, Drew Smyly, Tanner Roark
P Corey Kluber, Jenrry Mejia, Kyle Gibson, Trevor Bauer (NA)
RP ...
DL Chris Sale, Doug Fister, James Paxton
NA Archie Bradley

#6 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

View Postsmeeze, on 02 May 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:


The way our league works is we cannot make trades until after 3 keepers are announced.  

That stinks. One of the things that makes keeper formats so much fun is all the trade activity leading up to keeper announcements.

#7 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

ridley, julio, graham

wr is very deep and even if ridley isnt elite he's still worth a 2nd round pick and if you dont have a rb yet you'll end up with reggie bush and a rookie rb

Edited by RMJ_12, 03 May 2013 - 11:48 AM.


#8 broozer

broozer

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'd keep Newton, Ridley and Jones

#9 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Haha, this thread doesn't seem to be helping you very much. What's really been proven here is that there is no right or wrong decision. All of these guys have plenty of value. I guess it just comes down to which players and positions you decide to prioritize.

Julio looks like your one lock. The only thing that everyone agrees upon is that you need to hang onto him.

#10 smeeze

smeeze

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Rock

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 03 May 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

Haha, this thread doesn't seem to be helping you very much. What's really been proven here is that there is no right or wrong decision. All of these guys have plenty of value. I guess it just comes down to which players and positions you decide to prioritize.

Julio looks like your one lock. The only thing that everyone agrees upon is that you need to hang onto him.

You've got that right haha.  Julio is indeed locked in and I'm also leaning towards keeping Ridley because RB is so thin.  I'll probably go with one or two of the rookie RBs with my picks at 1.9 and 2.4.  I love Cam and his #1 overall fantasy player potential, but QB is so deep this year keeping him doesn't really make sense due to positional scarcity.  Thankfully, I don't have to make a decision until August so I'm hoping the waters clear up before then.  I've already changed my mind about 100 times and I'm sure I'll have many sleepless nights this summer trying to figure this one out.  Thanks all for your help.
10 Team / H2H / 5x5

C Carlos Santana
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Melky Cabrera
UTIL Mike Napoli, Dee Gordon
BN Desmond Jennings, Adam Eaton, Billy Butler

SP Stephen Strasburg, Felix Hernandez, Andrew Cashner, Jordan Zimmermann
P Matt Garza, Dan Straily, Drew Smyly, Tanner Roark
P Corey Kluber, Jenrry Mejia, Kyle Gibson, Trevor Bauer (NA)
RP ...
DL Chris Sale, Doug Fister, James Paxton
NA Archie Bradley

#11 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

After Julio, I'd probably say that Graham would be my next choice. With him in the lineup you have an advantage at TE basically every week.

When both healthy, I think Gronk has a tiny bit more value but you get the point. Nobody else is close to those two guys and they should each have plenty of solid years left at the top of their position.

That said, I wouldn't say that Graham is a "must keep", given your options. It'd be completely justifiable to keep any of those other guys over him. Given the depth at WR, though, I think you have to like Jimmy's value here.

#12 Rob_P

Rob_P

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Julio
Percy
Graham

I know RBs are thin but you would have 3 studs instead of an average RB who coukd find himself in a serious committee with how Vereen came on. No way I keep Ridley. Demariyus would be my next choice.

#13 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

i dont see the point in keeping a 2nd wr over ridley.  wr is very deep and rb is not.  especially if you plan on drafting a rookie rb who could bust you'll need ridley

#14 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

"Stevan Ridley showed up to the Patriots' conditioning program "looking like a house" after adding "a noticeable amount of muscle" in the offseason.
Beat writer Jeff Howe suggests Ridley "might be even more difficult to tackle" now. In 2012, Ridley finished seventh in the NFL in rush yards after contact while tying Reggie Bush and Arian Foster for the 11th most missed tackles among running backs, per Pro Football Focus' charted stats. As long as Ridley hasn't gained a ton of weight to slow him down, we're on board with additional muscle."

#15 Rob_P

Rob_P

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Oh..well if he is in the best shape of how life and ready to go then sure...gotta keep Ridley.   My goodness, that is the most worn out line ever.  Most athletes work out hard, many of them come in to camp in great shape.  It would be different if Ridley had a rap as being out of shape.  I guess bottom line is I don't think Ridley is a special talent...he is good but not special.  And with that coach, everything is replaceable unless you are truly special.  I think Harvin, Graham, Julio and Demariyus are much safer.  Totally get that RB is thin but I think Ridley could be risky.   Not to mention another concussion could change everything real quick.

Edited by Rob_P, 04 May 2013 - 06:51 AM.


#16 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostRMJ_12, on 04 May 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

"Stevan Ridley showed up to the Patriots' conditioning program "looking like a house" after adding "a noticeable amount of muscle" in the offseason.
Beat writer Jeff Howe suggests Ridley "might be even more difficult to tackle" now. In 2012, Ridley finished seventh in the NFL in rush yards after contact while tying Reggie Bush and Arian Foster for the 11th most missed tackles among running backs, per Pro Football Focus' charted stats. As long as Ridley hasn't gained a ton of weight to slow him down, we're on board with additional muscle."
you do realize its a beat writer's job to write articles, that in general hype up a team so hometown fans are excited about the upcoming season. I think this news would be better recieved if we all thought ridley was out of shape last yr.  Then maybe you could be like wow, think about what he's gonna do this year? Don't read too much into offseason hype stories, wait til at least preseason when we ge a chance to see people actually play football.

Ridley is not the elite talent that the Julio/DT/Harvin/Grahams are.  I'm no psychic but since Ridley plays RB he's mor elikely to get injured and bust or flat out just fall out of favor with bill and lose carries.  Those prior 4 guys are just about locks to get stats not counting injury.  I know everyone can get injured but based on the amount of hits and who's hitting them RBs are less reliable to stay on the field than other WRs.

Edited by Ribobizert, 04 May 2013 - 07:07 AM.


#17 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostRob_P, on 04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Oh..well if he is in the best shape of how life and ready to go then sure...gotta keep Ridley.   My goodness, that is the most worn out line ever.  Most athletes work out hard, many of them come in to camp in great shape.  


View PostRibobizert, on 04 May 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:



you do realize its a beat writer's job to write articles, that in general hype up a team so hometown fans are excited about the upcoming season.


Totally agree with both of you. Reports like this mean absolutely nothing to me. I love when people on these forums argue that a player has value due to reasons like his coach or a beat writer saying "he's in the best shape of his life" or some other meaningless obligatory comment.

#18 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 04 May 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

View PostRob_P, on 04 May 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Oh..well if he is in the best shape of how life and ready to go then sure...gotta keep Ridley.   My goodness, that is the most worn out line ever.  Most athletes work out hard, many of them come in to camp in great shape.  


View PostRibobizert, on 04 May 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:



you do realize its a beat writer's job to write articles, that in general hype up a team so hometown fans are excited about the upcoming season.


Totally agree with both of you. Reports like this mean absolutely nothing to me. I love when people on these forums argue that a player has value due to reasons like his coach or a beat writer saying "he's in the best shape of his life" or some other meaningless obligatory comment.
i was just bringing a little attention to the article but yes it is a plus that the guy is working his butt off believe it not there are many professional athlete who sit on their a** most of the summer because they are lazy, i didnt say to draft ridley in round 1, im not even a huge ridley fan or anything but in this situation i still think you keep ridley no matter what.  in no way are DT or harvin safer than ridley.  tons of weapons in denver now and harvin is on a new team in a new offense and got hurt last year

#19 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostRibobizert, on 04 May 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

View PostRMJ_12, on 04 May 2013 - 02:09 AM, said:

"Stevan Ridley showed up to the Patriots' conditioning program "looking like a house" after adding "a noticeable amount of muscle" in the offseason.
Beat writer Jeff Howe suggests Ridley "might be even more difficult to tackle" now. In 2012, Ridley finished seventh in the NFL in rush yards after contact while tying Reggie Bush and Arian Foster for the 11th most missed tackles among running backs, per Pro Football Focus' charted stats. As long as Ridley hasn't gained a ton of weight to slow him down, we're on board with additional muscle."
you do realize its a beat writer's job to write articles, that in general hype up a team so hometown fans are excited about the upcoming season. I think this news would be better recieved if we all thought ridley was out of shape last yr.  Then maybe you could be like wow, think about what he's gonna do this year? Don't read too much into offseason hype stories, wait til at least preseason when we ge a chance to see people actually play football.

Ridley is not the elite talent that the Julio/DT/Harvin/Grahams are.  I'm no psychic but since Ridley plays RB he's mor elikely to get injured and bust or flat out just fall out of favor with bill and lose carries.  Those prior 4 guys are just about locks to get stats not counting injury.  I know everyone can get injured but based on the amount of hits and who's hitting them RBs are less reliable to stay on the field than other WRs.
and you dont think added muscle would prevent an injury from all those hits if this report was true?  i believe all the guys you mentioned have been hurt just as much if not more than ridley has been

#20 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostRMJ_12, on 04 May 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:


in no way are DT or harvin safer than ridley.  tons of weapons in denver now and harvin is on a new team in a new offense and got hurt last year

I agree that Harvin is a major risk because some of his injury concerns are chronic, but I'd definitely consider DT safer than Ridley. And I actually like Ridley. I feel like, when factoring in positional value, it's a very close call between Ridley and Thomas.

Thomas' production is built-in, though. If he stays healthy, he's going to put up big numbers. If Ridley stays healthy, he still has to deal with a crowded backfield, an offense that has a tendency to ignore the run at certain times, and the fact that Belichick doesn't subscribe to the idea of having a feature back.

Also, in NFL years, a 25 year old WR is much younger than a 24 year old back (something to factor in heavily for keeper decisions). Thomas likely has more overall years remaining as well as more years as a top end talent.

They''re both coming into camp healthy. Obviously either can fall victim to an unlucky injury (more likely to happen to a back, of course), but when comparing healthy players, the safer one is the one who's production is more ensured. That's DT, easily.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users