Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Patrick Beverley 2013 Playoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Last 5 games, 33.4MPG, 12.6/6/3.4 with 1.2 steals .8 blocks 1.6 threes on .444/1.00 with only 1 TO

That's basically elite fantasy status. He's going to be my top sleeper of choice even if Lin is still in Houston next year.

#2 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

He's gonna have a Bledsoesque role next year, can't see him cracking 20mpg on a consistent basis.

Could be worth a late round pick or can probably be gotten off the wire for free.

Edited by EatPrayLove, 02 May 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#3 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

Not really, he can easily outplay Lin and if he gets 25 minutes a game he's worth owning.

According to BBM, Beverley was borderline rosterable

http://basketballmon...nfo.aspx?i=3032

Edited by VeganZombies, 02 May 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#4 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

Not really, he can easily outplay Lin and if he gets 25 minutes a game he's worth owning.

According to BBM, Beverley was borderline rosterable

http://basketballmon...nfo.aspx?i=3032

That's a big IF. He's essentially taking over Tony Douglas' role in the team for next year to soak up crumb minutes. I dunno if he can play SG as well? Otherwise there is a conceivable 20-25 backcourt minutes that Beverly can soak up.

Also,he seems to have quite a high foul rate for a back up point guard maybe due to his terrier style of play. If he gets into foul trouble all the time, then McHale has to yank him from games thus reducing his ability to produce.

Edited by EatPrayLove, 02 May 2013 - 03:00 AM.

#5 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

Beverley was ranked #27 in per 36 min. value in BBM. Just as reference, Bledsoe was ranked #23.

Understandably, he is a VeganZombies favorite.

#6 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Beverley was ranked #27 in per 36 min. value in BBM. Just as reference, Bledsoe was ranked #23.

Yes per 36 minutes, but what good is it if the kid plays under 18 minutes a game?

There are probably dozens of players that have great per 36 minute stats that will not be relevant for fantasy due to them being stuck on the bench all the time.

These players are great hold or watchlist players in case injuries hit the starters.

What I'm excited about is Francisco Garcia carving out a stable role on the Houston roster. If he can get consistent 30mpg he's gonna be extremely valuable IMO. He blocks like a center when given minutes.

Edited by EatPrayLove, 02 May 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#7 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:08 AM

Yes per 36 minutes, but what good is it if the kid plays under 18 minutes a game?

Never argued it was any good. That said, you could probably do worse for a late round flier. I certainly wouldn't mind picking him up and monitoring his minutes.

And besides, even if he does end up only playing 18 minutes as you said (and not being too useful), it's always good to have an idea of per 36s of players in case opportunity opens up and you want to react immediately.

Edited by darkyume, 02 May 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#8 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

I have a feeling they are gonna use him as a high energy guy next year, bring him off the bench for bursts to harrass guards like Paul and Westbrook.

They could play small ball and have Beverly partner Lin in the back court and shift Harden and Parsons out one into the forward positions (assuming they don't acquire a starting caliber PF).

Edited by EatPrayLove, 02 May 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#9 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

I really don't care what happens to him as long as he gets burn. I think it's very clear he can play in the nba for long stretches. A platoon wouldn't be out of the stretch and in a platoon situation Beverley is the one that can produce. Plus lin can be moved over at the 2 for short stretches (5-10 minutes a game?)

#10 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

Never argued it was any good. That said, you could probably do worse for a late round flier. I certainly wouldn't mind picking him up and monitoring his minutes.

And besides, even if he does end up only playing 18 minutes as you said (and not being too useful), it's always good to have an idea of per 36s of players in case opportunity opens up and you want to react immediately.

I guess thats what VZ was getting at. He's a sleeper.

Edited by EatPrayLove, 02 May 2013 - 03:25 AM.

#11 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Come on man. This is a necessary condition to be a sleeper. If you can't produce in 36 minutes how can you possibly by worth owning.

The reason why I bring him up is because he can actually win a starting job (unlike a better player in bledsoe) and his numbers this year aren't necessary indicative of what he can do because he jumped into a team half way in the season not knowing the system or the nba game for that matter.

Also he seems to be the perfect lead guard for Harden. Doesn't need the ball to be effective, a good shooter, excellent defensive player and don't turn the ball over.

He's basically fantasy gold if you decide to punt points.

#12 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

Come on man. This is a necessary condition to be a sleeper. If you can't produce in 36 minutes how can you possibly by worth owning.

The reason why I bring him up is because he can actually win a starting job (unlike a better player in bledsoe) and his numbers this year aren't necessary indicative of what he can do because he jumped into a team half way in the season not knowing the system or the nba game for that matter.

Also he seems to be the perfect lead guard for Harden. Doesn't need the ball to be effective, a good shooter, excellent defensive player and don't turn the ball over.

I thought I was supporting your support for Beverley with that statement (by comparing his per 36 to Bledsoe who is rather well-known as a per-36 monster), but whatever.

I must admit though, that I poked a little fun at you because you're clearly much more aggressive with potential than any other poster here (e.g. your statement that future Kawhi rivals Durant in value).

Edited by darkyume, 02 May 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#13 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

I thought I was supporting your support for Beverley with that statement (by comparing his per 36 to Bledsoe who is rather well-known as a per-36 monster), but whatever.

I must admit though, that I poked a little fun at you because you're clearly much more aggressive with potential than any other poster here (e.g. your statement that future Kawhi rivals Durant in value).

:D

#14 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hey if you don't think it's a realistic possibility that we're going to see a Kobe bryant/Harden/ginobili jump from in his 3rd year in the nba while being one of the most fantasy friendly guards in NBA history then I don't know what to tell you. But I digress.

Beverley could be a Mike conley clone next year with less assists and TO and more blocks.

#15 EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hey if you don't think it's a realistic possibility that we're going to see a Kobe bryant/Harden/ginobili jump from in his 3rd year in the nba while being one of the most fantasy friendly guards in NBA history then I don't know what to tell you. But I digress.

Beverley could be a Mike conley clone next year with less assists and TO and more blocks.

You really are the master of the Hyperbole.

#16 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

I really don't think it's a hyperbole when you consider his fantasy impact vs his nba role. I can't name of another guard that's essentially a role player that produced a near where he has. Everyone else is basically an allstar or fringe allstar

#17 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Due to the tone of your posts, I think most posters perceive your opinion of "realistic possibility" as 100% going to happen. For most other posters, I would assume this "realistic possibility" is much lower to none. I think the points you make are often agreeable and I tend to mostly agree with your concepts (as I value BBM a lot as well) - just typically not to the degree of your portrayal.

In all seriousness though, good catch on Beverley's deep league regular season value. I honestly could've missed that as I haven't had the time to pay attention to Thunder/Rockets series to watch Beverley play extended minutes.

Edited by darkyume, 02 May 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#18 VeganZombies

VeganZombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

You're welcome. He's been on my radar since his first 4 games in the rockets, but he's never gotten the minutes to justify picking him up.

#19 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

I think Beverly should be the rockets starting pg next year. Aside from already being better, he has more potential to develop. Beverly should get 30-35 min and Lin 20-25 imo

Edited by rocko, 02 May 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#20 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

http://www.82games.c...213/1213HOU.HTM