Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Sonny Gray SP OAK

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 wvufan1988

wvufan1988

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Coming off a complete game where he allowed 1 earned run and struck out 6. His numbers for the year (Triple-A Sacramento) is 3-1 2.61 ERA with 25 K's. A write up from last year, I read about him said he has the ceiling of a 3 or maybe a 2 and looks a lot like Tim Hudson. We may see this kid soon
12 Team H2H 24 out of 28 Keep

C-Posey
1B-Freeman
2B- Altuve
SS- Hanley Rameriz
3B-Sandoval
OF- Stanton, Choo, B.J Upton,
UT- Youkilis, Swisher, Cespedes
Bench: Chris Carter
P- Weaver, Parker, Cain, Wilson,  Cueto, Hudson, Niese, Peavy
Closer/RP- Mo, Soriano. Holland,
Bench-  Beachy
Categories:

Runs, RBI's, SB's, Average, HR
ERA, WHIP, Wins, Saves, K's

#2 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Saw him pitch a little at Vandy. He's got a bulldog mentality and is very athletic for a pitcher. Tim Hudson is probably his upside, but I don't think he'll come close to Hudson. His stuff did not impress me in college.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#3 btbindaclutch

btbindaclutch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Could be called up if Parker hits the DL. Is he worth a flier?
14 Team H2H Custom Points
Team 1:
C - Carlos Santana, 1B - Matt Adams, 2B - Brandon Phillips, SS - Troy Tulowitzki, 3B - Xander Bogaerts, OF - Adam Jones, Carlos Gomez, Shin-Soo Choo, UTIL - Jose Abreu, Nelson Cruz, Bench - Castellanos, Ackley, Arcia, Polanco
SP - Tony Cingrani, Zack Wheeler, Andrew Cashner, Matt Garza, Yordano Ventura, Tim Hudson
RP - Joakim Soria

Team 2:
C - Yan Gomes, 1B - Albert Pujols, 2B - Brian Dozier, SS - Hanley Ramirez, 3B - Aramis Ramirez, OF - Bryce Harper, Mark Trumbo, Khris Davis, UTIL - Matt Adams, Will Middlebrooks, Bench - Dunn, Ackley, Arcia, Baez, Springer, DL - Wilson Ramos
SP - Justin Verlander, Alex Cobb, Yordano Ventura, Scott Kazmir, Tyson Ross, Hector Santiago
RP - David Robertson

#4 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Could be called up if Parker hits the DL. Is he worth a flier?

Depends on your league and what you're looking for. Pitching in Oakland helps any pitcher and the A's are currently the best offense in baseball. I could see him racking up some wins.

Personally I'm not grabbing him in redrafts. As mentioned above, the kid compares favorably to Hudson. Mid 90's 4 seam that can get hotter when needed. Scouts point out he throws a devastating curve (only watched a few clips but that thing is incredible) but his changeup and slider are still developing. He's on my redraft watch list but aside from that I'm in no hurry to grab him.

Curious to hear from Fish On, as he's undoubtedly watched him in person a few times.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#5 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

"Sonny Gray is likely to be the A's choice to replace Jarrod Parker in the starting rotation if Parker has to go on the Disabled List for his neck issue, reports Susan Slusser."

Could be worth a pickup in deeper leagues!

EDIT: booo not in Yahoo's database yet...

Edited by Ragnaroker, 07 May 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#6 natti

natti

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

anderson is out for at least 4 more weeks and straily hasn't done much yet... thus, there's a nice little window for gray here... mixed league relevant if he gets the call?

#7 wvufan1988

wvufan1988

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Last five games

31.2 IP 33 Hit 34 Ks and a 2.85 ERA
12 Team H2H 24 out of 28 Keep

C-Posey
1B-Freeman
2B- Altuve
SS- Hanley Rameriz
3B-Sandoval
OF- Stanton, Choo, B.J Upton,
UT- Youkilis, Swisher, Cespedes
Bench: Chris Carter
P- Weaver, Parker, Cain, Wilson,  Cueto, Hudson, Niese, Peavy
Closer/RP- Mo, Soriano. Holland,
Bench-  Beachy
Categories:

Runs, RBI's, SB's, Average, HR
ERA, WHIP, Wins, Saves, K's

#8 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Straily dominated Triple A and his stuff is mediocre and hasn't tranlsated to the bigs. Do you think Gray is in the same boat?

#9 BustHerPosey

BustHerPosey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

Played this guy in highschool. Throws hard

Edited by BustHerPosey, 21 June 2013 - 02:03 AM.

PG - John Wall
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Chandler Parsons
PG - Zach Randolph
C - DeAndre Jordan
G - Goran Dragic
F - Demarcus Cousins
UTIL - Kemba Walker
UTIL - Thaddeus Young
UTIL - Eric Bledsoe

Bench - Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, Trevor Ariza

10 team non keeper, standard 9 cat league (H2H record)

#10 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Susan Slusser@susanslusser4m

Gray not starting tonight for @RiverCats would make him available for tomorrow or Sat. if Parker can't go one of those two games.

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#11 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Really interesting I think this guy is over due for the call
No Days Off

#12 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

Gray not starting tonight for @RiverCats would make him available for tomorrow or Sat. if Parker can't go one of those two games.

Oh please oh please oh please get the call!

Gray's one of those interesting under-the-radar types in many circles. He wasn't high up on the prospect lists this past winter because of horrific strikeout rates in 2012, but we now understand the reasoning behind those low K rates to be a change in mechanics both he and the A's thought would help his development. When it became apparent that the change in mechanics was not working at all, Gray scrapped the plan late last season and came in fresh this year. The results have been night and day.

He is short, especially for a power pitcher, and that's led some to worry about his ability to continue inducing ground balls once he gets to the majors. There's also some question as to whether he can be effective against left-handed hitters as he doesn't have an arsenal that generally lends itself to keeping lefties in check. Regardless, I think his numbers in Triple-A warrant consideration for him in deeper leagues if he gets the call. Dan Straily had good numbers in Triple-A, and that leads a lot of people to compare the two. But my personal opinion is that Gray has better stuff overall, so I'm hopeful he's a bit more productive than Straily has been in Oakland this season.

Interestingly, I think he'd make a good closer, but the A's have so many good arms in their pen at this point that there's no way I want to wait on Gray to get an opportunity there. Here's hoping he works out as a starter.

Edited by Bodhizefa, 03 July 2013 - 01:06 AM.

"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#13 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Oh please oh please oh please get the call!

Gray's one of those interesting under-the-radar types in many circles. He wasn't high up on the prospect lists this past winter because of horrific strikeout rates in 2012, but we now understand the reasoning behind those low K rates to be a change in mechanics both he and the A's thought would help his development. When it became apparent that the change in mechanics was not working at all, Gray scrapped the plan late last season and came in fresh this year. The results have been night and day.

He is short, especially for a power pitcher, and that's led some to worry about his ability to continue inducing ground balls once he gets to the majors. There's also some question as to whether he can be effective against left-handed hitters as he doesn't have an arsenal that generally lends itself to keeping lefties in check. Regardless, I think his numbers in Triple-A warrant consideration for him in deeper leagues if he gets the call. Dan Straily had good numbers in Triple-A, and that leads a lot of people to compare the two. But my personal opinion is that Gray has better stuff overall, so I'm hopeful he's a bit more productive than Straily has been in Oakland this season.

Interestingly, I think he'd make a good closer, but the A's have so many good arms in their pen at this point that there's no way I want to wait on Gray to get an opportunity there. Here's hoping he works out as a starter.

Great insight - Thanks for that. I was a straily owner and I have been perplexed by his lack of success. He was so dominant in triple A and has been so mediocre in the Majors.

#14 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Susan Slusser@susanslusser2m

But with Parker going Saturday, no fill-in assignment for Gray. He will get first chance when needed if any other situations arise.

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#15 Topgun

Topgun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Is there a chance that Gray could be called up to start on Thursday or Saturday, anybody heard anything ?
I'd love to join a CBS salary cap fantasy baseball league.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 team H2H-Daily Dynasty League
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Carlos Santana
1B Freeman-Votto-Pearce
2B Cano-Utley
3B Beltre-Carpenter
SS Danny Santana-Zobrist
OF Trout-Kemp-JD Martinez-Betts
OF Carlos Gonzalez,Dickerson
OF Markakis,A.Garcia
DH Ortiz
SP Kluber,Scherzer,Harvey,DeGrom,Shoemaker
SP Carrasco,Archer,Salazar,Kazmir,Fiers,Corbin
SP Hutchison,Wada,Kyle Hendricks,Cliff Lee
RP Chapman,Storen,Casilla,Uehara,Soriano
Minors-C Bethancourt,1B Matt Olson,2B Robert Refsnyder
3B Maikle Franco,SS Nick Gordon,OF Bradly Zimmer,
SP Nathan Karns,Kyle Zimmer

#16 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Is there a chance that Gray could be called up to start on Thursday or Saturday, anybody heard anything ?

Why would he? No one is hurt, as far as I know, and Brett Anderson is actually on the mend right now.

I'd like to see Gray get a shot, though, at some point. He's talented and he's ready.

#17 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

From rotoworld:

"Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics will call up Sonny Gray from Triple-A Sacramento."

"Gray is expected to be used in relief for the time being, but he could eventually get a shot to start. The former first-round pick has bounced back from a rough 2012 season to post a 2.81 ERA and 107/34 K/BB ratio over 102 1/3 Triple-A innings this season."
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#18 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hmm, maybe they're anticipating Colon getting suspended.

#19 Topgun

Topgun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Interesting theory
I'd love to join a CBS salary cap fantasy baseball league.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 team H2H-Daily Dynasty League
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Carlos Santana
1B Freeman-Votto-Pearce
2B Cano-Utley
3B Beltre-Carpenter
SS Danny Santana-Zobrist
OF Trout-Kemp-JD Martinez-Betts
OF Carlos Gonzalez,Dickerson
OF Markakis,A.Garcia
DH Ortiz
SP Kluber,Scherzer,Harvey,DeGrom,Shoemaker
SP Carrasco,Archer,Salazar,Kazmir,Fiers,Corbin
SP Hutchison,Wada,Kyle Hendricks,Cliff Lee
RP Chapman,Storen,Casilla,Uehara,Soriano
Minors-C Bethancourt,1B Matt Olson,2B Robert Refsnyder
3B Maikle Franco,SS Nick Gordon,OF Bradly Zimmer,
SP Nathan Karns,Kyle Zimmer

#20 mannymachado

mannymachado

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Will this guy make significant impact? I don't know too much about him.
10 team keeper league 6x6 h2h

c) Jonathan Lucroy
1b) Anthony Rizzo
2b) Jose Altuve
3b) Kyle Seager
ss) Troy Tulowitzki
of) Justin Upton
of) Mike Trout
of) Jacoby Ellsbury
util) Matt Holliday
util) Matt Adams

Bench: Justin Morneau 1B, Chase Utley 2B, Arismendy Alcantara 2B, Mookie Betts SS

Starting Pitchers: Felix Hernandez, Madison Bumgarner, Stephen Strasburg, Sonny Gray, , Matt Garza, Marcus Stroman, Jacob DeGrom, Roenis Elias, Ruby De La Rosa, Gerrit Cole (DL) , Jose Fernandez (DL), James Paxton (DL)
Relief Pitchers: Joe Nathan, Koji Uehara, Jake McGee