27 replies to this topic

#1 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

What do you guys think of Vick Ballard this year?

Do you think it'll be RBBC in Indy or will he be a feature back and put up RB2 numbers? Is he "just a guy" or is he starter material? How would you feel committing to him in a keeper/dynasty for the next 3 years?

All questions I've been asking myself. The Colts seemed to give a vote of confidence by waiting until #230 overall in the 7th round to draft a RB.

He began starting over Donald Brown halfway through the season or so last year and Brown is in the last year of his deal. I wonder how much a threat he is still, Pagano seemed to talk him up last offseason too, he was quite the sleeper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is rotoworld's last blurb on Ballard from January 7th.

The Indianapolis Star believes the Colts have found a "workhorse" in Vick Ballard.

GM Ryan Grigson's top priorities will be fixing Andrew Luck's pass protection on the offensive line and upgrading the run defense. The Colts have enough holes that running back is relatively low on the list. Ballard has moved ahead of Donald Brown in the organization's eyes. Expect him to enter next season as the feature back. Jan 7 - 11:38 AM

This is his blurb on another page....

Pagano fond of Ballard: Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix that he considers Vick Ballard a lead running back. "He’s tough, he’s always getting positive yards," Pagano said. "Unless there’s just a complete blow up in the backfield, he’s going to get you those extra yards. You saw last year, where he was able to convert late in the game. We’re trying to take the air out of the game, and close the thing out, and he was able to do that on several occasions. The play he made in overtime to beat Tennessee. Just a tough, hard-nose, between the tackles guy, that’s always going to get positive yards. He has the ability to make people miss in the open field. He’s going to grind out 100 yards when you hand him the ball. He’s one of those guys that as the game gets longer, the more carries he has, the better he gets."
(Updated 3/19/13)

#2 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,146 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

He showed he can pass protect, he is decent on 3rd down in the flat, and he gets the yards people give him and falls forward.  But, the opportunity to get 300+ touches in a high-octane O is certainly there.

On teams with elite talents, he'd be the backup for sure.  On IND, he's the clear 3-down RB right now - Brown really had issues with pass protection for years, and Ballard picked it up on Year 1 .

Brown never got the trust of the Colts staff even when they were down to a broken-down Addai.   As a funny aside, Brown's nick became GDD - for this famous event:

All of that to say - Ballard is not a special talent, but he's a workhorse, and he protects the passer well, and he has no competition for this year.   Personally, I think IND will look to add a gamebreaker RB next year or 2015, but his job is safe as a RB1 on IND, which means he definitely has RB2 appeal in all formats.   The only reason IMO why he won't sniff RB1 status is that Delone Carter is likely to vulture 5-6 TD's with goal-line carries.
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#3 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

The best way to describe Ballard: middling talent in an above average situation. Donald Brown proved once-and-for-all he is a 1st round bust and cannot be a lead back on any team. Delone Carter...well, I'm still not sure why he was taken in the fourth round of the NFL draft. At best, he's a goal line vulture and at worst, he a fullback (240 lbs). Ballard ran the 40 in 4.59 - 4.65 seconds at the combine; obviously not a blazer. I have both he and Brown on my roster last year...I didn't see anything special from Ballard as far as shiftiness, quickness...just a guy. Its hard to argue with 211 carries and 17 catches as a rookie, but a lot of that was due to injuries to Brown and Carter. That all said, in a 12-team league, I'm not touching him before the 5th round.
16-team keeper league (keepers in italics), long TD bonus, yardage bonuses, 5 rec = 1pt, 10 rec = 5 pts

#4 criminaltracker

criminaltracker

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I had him on my team last year and was disappointed he could not find the endzone in the Jacksonville game despite being given the ball inside the two yard line.  All he had to do was reach those little T-Rex arms forward six inches from his body and the ball would have broken the plain of the goal line.  As for me, I would take him again as a replacement player only to be used when my RB situation has a bye week.  5th or 6th round...no higher.  That way, I have only spent minimal dollars on him in case he is has another 2012 year (statistically speaking).

#5 blangtang

blangtang

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

this is a guy in a timeshare with Bradshaw, nothing more nothing less

#6 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'm actually liking Ballard more now that Bradshaw is in town.  Ballard's ADP has to have plummeted and I would be shocked if Bradshaw doesn't miss some games this season due to his chronic foot issues.  Ballard's someone you can probably get at a reasonable price as your 4th RB and there's a good chance he gives you some RB2/Flex production at times throughout the season.

#7 kingjames02392

kingjames02392

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

He will be irrelevant unless Bradshaw gets hurt (which is likely at some point).

And LMAO at that God Damnit Donald vid
10 Team .5 PPR
QB- RG3
WR- Calvin/Dez/Amendola
RB- Reggie Bush/DMC
TE- Gronk
Flex- Moreno/Cameron
BN- DeAngelo, Alshon Jeffery, Helu, Kendall Wright, Ball, Michael Floyd

#8 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 26 July 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

I'm actually liking Ballard more now that Bradshaw is in town.  Ballard's ADP has to have plummeted and I would be shocked if Bradshaw doesn't miss some games this season due to his chronic foot issues.  Ballard's someone you can probably get at a reasonable price as your 4th RB and there's a good chance he gives you some RB2/Flex production at times throughout the season.

Bradshaw is probable week 1.  But feet injuries can absolutely derail running backs.  Ballard was a being taken in the 14th - 15th rounds in most of my drafts and is a free agent in one.

I think I'm going to snag him up just in case.  Even with a healthy Bradshaw they will split carries fairly equal.  But if Bradshaw gets hurt or continues to have issues with his feet Ballard should receive the lion's share of touches on a good offense that wants to be more balanced with it's running game.

Not expecting the world out of Ballard but there could end up being great value here.

#9 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 07 September 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Bradshaw is probable week 1.  But feet injuries can absolutely derail running backs.  Ballard was a being taken in the 14th - 15th rounds in most of my drafts and is a free agent in one.

I think I'm going to snag him up just in case.  Even with a healthy Bradshaw they will split carries fairly equal.  But if Bradshaw gets hurt or continues to have issues with his feet Ballard should receive the lion's share of touches on a good offense that wants to be more balanced with it's running game.

Not expecting the world out of Ballard but there could end up being great value here.
You must have never owned Ballard or watched him play. This guy is as mediocre as they come. Even with lion share carries it takes him about 20 just to get 60 yards and has zero game breaking ability zero.

#10 Butters

Butters

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 07 September 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

You must have never owned Ballard or watched him play. This guy is as mediocre as they come. Even with lion share carries it takes him about 20 just to get 60 yards and has zero game breaking ability zero.

Ballard's value isn't that he's a game breaking back. His value is that Bradshaw is hurt a lot. I think if Bradshaw stays healthy, Ballard will not be someone you can put in a lineup and expect good points. But if Bradshaw misses time, Ballard is a solid flex play on a good offense.
12 Team .5 PPR League.  2QBs, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE and a flex (R/W/T).
QBs: RG3, Pryor, Manuel, Cousins
RBs: Lacy, Bush, CJ, J. Bell, Starks, Greene
WRs: Jordy, Garçon, Decker, James Jones, Bowe
TE: Pitta

#11 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostButters, on 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Ballard's value isn't that he's a game breaking back. His value is that Bradshaw is hurt a lot. I think if Bradshaw stays healthy, Ballard will not be someone you can put in a lineup and expect good points. But if Bradshaw misses time, Ballard is a solid flex play on a good offense.
Listen when I owned Ballard last year those were my same thoughts. Looks are real deceiving. The guy sucks!! I drafted Bradshaw and not once did I think to waste my time in cuffing him with Ballard. I would rather roster there 4 stringer Kerwyn Williams.

#12 Butters

Butters

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 07 September 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

View PostButters, on 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Listen when I owned Ballard last year those were my same thoughts. Looks are real deceiving. The guy sucks!! I drafted Bradshaw and not once did I think to waste my time in cuffing him with Ballard. I would rather roster there 4 stringer Kerwyn Williams.

Looks are deceiving. In a .5 PPR league last year, Ballard was the 29th ranked RB. That's a flex in a 12 team league, IMO. I'm not saying you should cuff Bradshaw with him because you may have other options.

But FF isn't about flash. It's about points.
12 Team .5 PPR League.  2QBs, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE and a flex (R/W/T).
QBs: RG3, Pryor, Manuel, Cousins
RBs: Lacy, Bush, CJ, J. Bell, Starks, Greene
WRs: Jordy, Garçon, Decker, James Jones, Bowe
TE: Pitta

#13 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hes not going away. The coaches love him
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Ackley 3B-Carpenter SS-Boaegerts OF-Choo,Crisp,Morse
SP-Cueto,Gray,A.Wood,Peavy,Ventura,Erlin
BN-Venable,Calhoun,Gillaspie
DL-Kershaw,Harrison,Profar,Victorino

#14 jdauria

jdauria

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

I got ballard off waivers this morning.  He'll be stashed away once bradshaw F's his foot up as usual.
14 Team Keeper League QB,RB,RB,Flex,WR,WR,TE,K,DST

QB - Tom Brady
RB - CJ Spiller, Lamar Miller, Shane Vereen
WR - Roddy White, Cecil Shorts III, Terrance Williams, Corrdarelle Patterson
Flex - Terrance Williams
TE - Coby Fleener, Antonio Gates
K - Dan Bailey
DEF - (rotates weekly)

14 Team Office League QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,TE,K,DST

QB - Andrew Luck
RB - Jamaal Charles, Stevan Ridley, Andre Brown, Chris Ivory
WR - Percy Harvin, Ty Hilton, Torrey Smith, Keenan Allen, Rueben Randle(Julio Jones - IR)
TE -  Garrett Graham
K - Dan Bailey
DEF - Chicago Bears

#15 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Only owned in 42% of Yahoo! Leagues.  Has the upside to become the guy in Indy.

#16 munygon2

munygon2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Per RW

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Colts RB Vick Ballard will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a knee injury in Thursday's practice.

#17 sott3

sott3

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

It's too bad. He would have been a low-end RB2 if Bradshaw's feet don't hold up this year.
Team A - Yahoo Standard Scoring - Finished 3rd
QB: A.Luck, J.McCown, J.Cutler
RB: A.Morris, B.Tate, Andre Brown, M.Ball, B.Rainey
WR: AJ Green, J.Nelson, TY Hilton, A.Boldin
TE: T.Gonzalez, C.Fleener
K: G.Hartley
DST: Streaming

Team B - Yahoo Standard Scoring - Finished 4th
QB: T.Brady, N.Foles
RB: CJ Spiller, S.Vareen, D.Sproles, F.Jackson, B.Rainey
WR: V.Jackson, J.Gordon, James Jones, H.Douglas, P.Harvin
TE: J.Cameron, D.Pitta
K: D.Bailey
DST: Streaming

Follow Me on Twitter @sott3

#18 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

HAHAHA i swear its a joke everyguy i add is done for the year
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Ackley 3B-Carpenter SS-Boaegerts OF-Choo,Crisp,Morse
SP-Cueto,Gray,A.Wood,Peavy,Ventura,Erlin
BN-Venable,Calhoun,Gillaspie
DL-Kershaw,Harrison,Profar,Victorino

#19 goldblooded

goldblooded

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Donald Brown worth picking up now?

#20 mthdmn

mthdmn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

sorry guys, it's my fault
Yahoo Standard H2H $$$ League (12 Teams)
C Devin Mesoraco
1B Eric Hosmer, Matt Adams
2B Neil Walker, Dustin Ackley
3B Martin Prado, Ryan Zimmerman, Manny Machado
SS Starlin Castro, Andrelton Simmons
OF Ryan Braun, Adam Jones, Giancarlo Stanton, Ben Revere, Gregory Polanco
SP Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmerman, Shelby Miller, Matt Cain, Garrett Richards, Archie Bradley
RP Aroldis Chapman, Jonathan Broxton, Steve Cishek, Fernando Rodney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users