Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

5/9/13 - Angels @ Astros Gameday Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Scioscia protesting the game. Something happened with an illegal pitching change. A player came in, warmed up, and never faced a batter (against the rules unless there is an injury).
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#2 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Sciosica should protest the whole season!!! He and his team suck...
C- Ramos
1b - Bautista
2b - Altuve
3b - Miggy
SS - A. Escobar
OF - Trout
OF - Revere
OF - Cespedes
OF - Byrd
Util - Plouffe
Util - d'Arnaud

SP - Kershaw, Bumgarner, Grienke, Zimmerman, Felix, Arrieta, Carrasco
RP - Cishek, Papelbon, Mejia, Nathan,

#3 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Porter didn't switch pitchers until he saw Scioscia was bringing in a pinch hitter, this is just as big of a deal as last night's screw up because it's even more crystal clear. Umpires are ridiculous, some of them get paid as much as doctors, do your job!
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#4 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

i dont know how the umps can so blatently ignore things like this and get away with it.
"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#5 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

man, i don't care how they do it, but I'd really like to see the angels win one tonight. Watching these games is getting so depressing.
"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#6 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

The Angels actually have a case for playing this under protest, really rare for anyone to ever win these things but if they do the game will be restarted from the point of dispute.
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#7 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

The Angels actually have a case for playing this under protest, really rare for anyone to ever win these things but if they do the game will be restarted from the point of dispute.

I just want them to win it outright so we don't have to worry about it.

#8 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Wow, pitcher was fine, Porter just ran out to change pitchers. This can be protested because it's a misinterpretation of a rule, while last night's game could not have been protested because it was based on judgment.

#9 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

wooo. the games tied. trumbo is such a stud.

#10 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Bases loaded double by Trumbo, 5-5, still no outs.

#11 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

I just want them to win it outright so we don't have to worry about it.

yeah, that would help this situation, unreal gaffe by the umps, wth...
I didn't even know the rule for what happens when a team actually wins a protest, the pine tar game was the only time can remember it happening, the LAA beat writer tweeted it
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#12 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Buster Olneys chronlogical Tweeting of the event.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN41m

Mike Scioscia is protesting the game, he tells the umpires. Why would Wesley Wright not have to face at least one hitter? I'm not sure.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN32m
I don't know what reason the umpires gave to Scioscia for their decision, but they seemed very confident. Scioscia: Very much less so.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN28m
Rule 3.05 (B): if the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at-bat, or any substitute batter...

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN24m
Before Bo Porter replaced Wright, he consulted at length with the umpires before making the change. Wouldn't have to do that with an injury.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN11m
Educated guess: Wright never officially entered into the game, perhaps after he wrongly came in from the bullpen. Porter then went to RHer.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN11m
The key question was whether Wright threw any warmup pitches (I don't know the answer). If he did, Scioscia may have a beef.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN9m
Bottom line: We need to hear the explanation from the umpires. Because the pieces don't fit.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN4m
OK, now they're showing replay of Wright throwing warmup tosses. And in the middle of it, Porter comes out. Scioscia may have a strong case.

Buster Olney@Buster_ESPN2m
I can't even imagine what the umpires' explanation is going to be after seeing that replay of Wright warming up. Can't wait to hear it.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#13 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Honestly I hope the Angels lose to see what happens with the protest :ph34r:

#14 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,995 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Honestly I hope the Angels lose to see what happens with the protest :ph34r:

MLB would probably have discussions with the crew about it.

#15 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Astros' bullpen and defense did the umps a favor tonight.

#16 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Astros' bullpen and defense did the umps a favor tonight.

well, we'll see if frieri coughs up this lead.

#17 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

"So, judging by Porter's comments, there weren't any unusual circumstances. He didn't know the rule, umps didn't know the rule."

https://twitter.com/...716456984858625

#18 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

"So, judging by Porter's comments, there weren't any unusual circumstances. He didn't know the rule, umps didn't know the rule."

https://twitter.com/...716456984858625

I call BS on that.

#19 trojans888

trojans888

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Does this situation not come into play in almost every N.L. game? Did the umps think Porter found some mysterious loophole that alluded every other manager in history? I know it's an A.L. game but still how can a handful of umps get together and not figure this out.

#20 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,995 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Does this situation not come into play in almost every N.L. game? Did the umps think Porter found some mysterious loophole that alluded every other manager in history? I know it's an A.L. game but still how can a handful of umps get together and not figure this out.

Hardballtalk had a good write up here.

"Once I made sure that he pinch-hit for the batter that was scheduled to hit, then I started towards the mound. The home plate umpire, he kind of stopped me. He said, ‘Whoa, Bo,’ and then Scioscia started yelling he has to face a hitter. I just calmly explained to him my interpretation of the rule is ‘Yes he has to face hitter ,as long as it’s the hitter that’s scheduled to hit.’ The hitter that was scheduled to hit had now been pinch-hit for, which now gives me the right to bring a pitcher to face the pinch-hitter.”

So basically, the umpires first inclination, as pointed out here was to stop Bo Porter, but Bo Porter explained the way he sees the rule and the umpires, who are in charge of the rules, deferred to his lesser judgement. The fact that the umpires screwed the pooch on this one is awful, its not a judgement call, its not unclear video, its a simple matter of knowing the rules of the game, the ones youre charged with enforcing.