Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Cameron Maybin 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

I couldn't find a thread for Maybin for this year. He's been hurt most of the season and came out of the gate scuffling before he did get hurt. What kind of production should we expect once he returns?

Edited by The Harsh, 12 May 2013 - 12:07 PM.
Removed BC content.

2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#2 caseyatbat

caseyatbat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

I think the most you could ask for is Desmond Jennings like production. Low average, low consistency, but got good speed on a team that could use it. Good to average outfield but not important in most fantasy leagues. I personally like the combo of Denorfia and Venable in the outfield along with Quentin and Blanks. Gives you plenty of bang.

Let's say there isn't going to be a rush to pick him up unless it's a NL only league.

#3 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

10HR/30SB realistic?
2014 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Jerrick McKinnon
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter, Sammy Watkins, Jermaine Kearse
TE's-Julius Thomas, Eric Ebron
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Bobby Wagner, Alec Ogletree
DB's-Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper

2 2015 first round picks.

#4 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

10HR/30SB realistic?

Yes, with a .245 BA.

#5 k.k.

k.k.

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Got to think the rehab stint must be about up and Maybin will get called up soon. Could be imminent. He went 7 for 25 with a couple of HRs. Is he going to be any everyday option though? That SD outfield is crowded.

#6 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Got to think the rehab stint must be about up and Maybin will get called up soon. Could be imminent. He went 7 for 25 with a couple of HRs. Is he going to be any everyday option though? That SD outfield is crowded.

I believe they said they wanted him to get about 30 AB in rehab, so he should be up pretty quickly here.

Doubt Venable and his .219 BA (.280 OBP) are going to keep Maybin from seeing everyday PT, assuming Maybin performs to career norms. As it is, Venable hardly plays vs. lefties - only 22 AB against them out of 151 total on the year.

Most likely scenario would be Quentin in LF, Maybin in CF, and Denorfia/Venable platooning in RF. Blanks, who has quietly put up a .816 OPS this season, gets occasional time at RF, LF, and 1B. Guzman and his .587 OPS probably gets to head to AAA.

#7 JoeMomma

JoeMomma

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

EXTREMELY small sample size...but he is hitting .323/.447/.645 in 38 PA at Tuscon. But the number that caught my eye was the 7/6 BB/K ratio. If he can carry that over it will obviously up his value some as higher OBP% means more SB attempts, not to mention the fact that it just makes him a better hitter overall. Again small sample size, but the walks and the 3 HR have me buying that he will produce when he is brought up and that he is fully healthy.
12 team 8x8 Roto Redraft League
Hitting (AVG, OBP, SLG, R RBI, HR, SB,)
Pitching (QS, WHIP, ERA, K, S, HO, K/9, H/9)

C--Buster Posey
C---Jason Castro
1B---Paul Goldschmidt
2B---Ian Kinsler
3B---Nolan Arenado
SS---Alexei Ramirez
CI---Anthony Rizzo
MI---Josh Rutledge
OF---Justin Upton, Austin Jackson, Dexter Fowler, Josh Reddick
UTIL---Billy Butler, Peter Bourjos
Bench---Eric Young. Jr, Ike Davis, Dustin Ackley

SP---Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson
RP---Edward Mujica, Jim Henderson, Huston Street, Brett Cecil, Mark Melancon, Junichi Tazawa, Tony Cingrani, Andrew Miller, Al Alburquerque

DL---Derek Jeter, Jedd Gyroko, Alex Cobb, Brandon Morrow, Sean Marshall

#8 k.k.

k.k.

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Looks like Maybin is getting reinstated for Thurs. Could be an interesting pickup for some guys. I'm not saying he'll be a juggernaut, but it might be worth an early grab speculative shot if you have the room or can ditch someone struggling in your lineup.

#9 Jam Master Jay

Jam Master Jay

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Where does he usually hit in the order and is he going to play everyday? I'm intrigued about the speed potential and I'm chalking up the horrible BA to the wrist injury.

#10 JoeMomma

JoeMomma

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Where does he usually hit in the order and is he going to play everyday? I'm intrigued about the speed potential and I'm chalking up the horrible BA to the wrist injury.

At the beginning of the season he was primarily hitting 7th. I would imagine he'll hit at the bottom of the order initially, but if he could get it going, the Padres could have some nice table setters at the top of the order in Maybin and E, Cabrera.
12 team 8x8 Roto Redraft League
Hitting (AVG, OBP, SLG, R RBI, HR, SB,)
Pitching (QS, WHIP, ERA, K, S, HO, K/9, H/9)

C--Buster Posey
C---Jason Castro
1B---Paul Goldschmidt
2B---Ian Kinsler
3B---Nolan Arenado
SS---Alexei Ramirez
CI---Anthony Rizzo
MI---Josh Rutledge
OF---Justin Upton, Austin Jackson, Dexter Fowler, Josh Reddick
UTIL---Billy Butler, Peter Bourjos
Bench---Eric Young. Jr, Ike Davis, Dustin Ackley

SP---Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Rick Porcello, Justin Masterson
RP---Edward Mujica, Jim Henderson, Huston Street, Brett Cecil, Mark Melancon, Junichi Tazawa, Tony Cingrani, Andrew Miller, Al Alburquerque

DL---Derek Jeter, Jedd Gyroko, Alex Cobb, Brandon Morrow, Sean Marshall

#11 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Gaudy rehab numbers and this guy has always been highly touted - his performance soared in the second half as he recovered from various injuries last year. And I do seem to recall his having the longest-hit HR in the majors last year.

Could he be a legitimate power/speed threat in a greatly improved Pads lineup? Anyone care to provide some ROS projections?
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#12 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Many Pads fans are/were hoping to see Maybin kind of do what Domonic Brown is doing for the Phils (maybe not that ridiculous power run he is on) but just the breakout after some disappointment. This guy was a top 10 MLB prospect 2-3 years in the late 00's. I get as frustrated as anyone when teams seem "cheap" and dont spend money, but in the case of the Pads right now, especially position players, they have a lot of players they really do need to be patient with and see what they have:

Alonso, Grandal, Gyorko, Maybin, Headley, Cabrera - thats a decent core of upside offensive potential, be it speed. power or combo.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#13 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I know he rarely gets on, but when he does he rarely gets caught stealing a bag. Also has some sneaky pop.

Edited by The Harsh, 06 June 2013 - 10:09 PM.
Removed BC content.

12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#14 kgizzle

kgizzle

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Man looks good tonight. Just added.
12 teams

PG Mike Conley
SG Jimmy Butler
G KJ Mcdaniels
SF Thaddeus Young
PF Shawn Williams
F Nerlens Noel
C Andre Drummond
C Ryan Anderson
Utility Alex Len
Utility Steven Adams

Bench
Kevin Durant
Iman Shumpert
Draymond Green

(Week league 7 cat no percentages) Punt assists

#15 newcastle922

newcastle922

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

I hope this dude can help me forget Harper is not in my lineup...

#16 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

Many Pads fans are/were hoping to see Maybin kind of do what Domonic Brown is doing for the Phils (maybe not that ridiculous power run he is on) but just the breakout after some disappointment. This guy was a top 10 MLB prospect 2-3 years in the late 00's. I get as frustrated as anyone when teams seem "cheap" and dont spend money, but in the case of the Pads right now, especially position players, they have a lot of players they really do need to be patient with and see what they have:

Alonso, Grandal, Gyorko, Maybin, Headley, Cabrera - thats a decent core of upside offensive potential, be it speed. power or combo.

He really needs to produce because the Pads actually paid him.

#17 MontyBrns9

MontyBrns9

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

For those fearing a low batting average, there's actually hope.

The Pads worked with him on his swing last year, and ever since he got it down in July he hit .287/.335/.414 in 263 plate appearances down the stretch. That's very good, and maybe underpins his rehab numbers as well. His swing has also been around during Spring training, so there's proof he's sticking with it and it may still be working.

I'd really keep an eye on him. If this adjustment can legitimately bring his average up to a respectable level, then he can be very useful.
10 team H2H league: 5x5 + OPS & K/BB (Currently in 1st place)
C: Yadier Molina - 1B: David Ortiz - 2B: Jason Kipnis - 3B: Manny Machado - SS: Jean Segura
OF: Carlos Gonzalez, Jayson Werth, Domonic Brown - UTIL: Carlos Quentin, Chase Headley
SP: Cliff Lee, Jeff Samardzija, Mike Minor, John Lackey, Patrick Corbin
RP: Jason Grilli, Greg Holland
Bench: Billy Butler, Edward Mujica, Matt Kemp, Ivan Nova, Ervin Santana - DL: BJ Upton, Matt Holliday

#18 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Man am I glad I had kept him on my DL this whole time. I really had no need in the OF, but someone else dropped him and I figured what the hell?

ROS projections.... hmmm.... this is what I think he will finish the year with (and not what I think his stats from last night forward will look like exclusively)...

.255, .320, .370... 6-8 HR, maybe 35 RBI, 40 tops, but I'd say 35 (or even 30...) is more realistic. As for his Run count-- that will all depend on where he hits in that lineup, so I'll go with a really low floor for now and say 30, maybe 40 tops. Unless he takes over the role as their lead-off hitter. Then I'd pump it up to 50-55, assuming he can keep the role & run with it (har-har). Also, about 25 SB seems fair. I don't see more than that unless he really is let loose. Maybe 30.

I'll still take that from what is basically a bench player who I can slide into 3 different slots at any time (OF, CF, & UTL). I hope he outperforms those expectations, but going off of what his career has been like plus the late start, I don't want to expect too much from him now.

Nice to see the first game back go so well for him for sure though.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#19 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Not seeing that stat about batting average above... I'd adjust that bit of my projection to .270/.325. I still can't see him being a big hitter for average.... I dunno though. If that stat was for last year, it will be interesting to see how his return from injury affects things (if at all)-- for better or worse, as far as offensive strides he had been making last year.

The last start has me reserved a bit, I guess. He has always seemed to be a streaky player, but perhaps that is just my perception.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#20 gameover413

gameover413

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

ROS .270 6-8hr and 25-30sb's? sounds about right... I would gladly take that production right now...

2014 FF 12 tm ppr 8-3

QB - Ryan

RB - McCoy, Gray (Oliver, Herron, RIP:Bradshaw)

WR - Nelson, Benjamin, Wallace (Michael Floyd)

TE - Gronk (Kelce)

W/R - Bryce Brown

W/T - Torrey Smith

K - Vinatieri

Def - Buffalo