Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Joba Chamberlain 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hes not worth talking about from a fantasy perspective at all, but really this story just lends some insight into how he must view himself. Hes a nobody, hes been a nobody and by all appearances I think he has an IV of gravy that he runs frequently.

That he thinks he can come across Rivera like that, in front of everyone and then rag on him after the fact is just shocking. Rivera doing great things even as hes leaving the game, Chamberlain being a loud mouth as the game passes him by. One player is the greatest closer to ever play the game, the other is a fat slob who will not be remembered for anything in the game of baseball.

Heres the article:

http://www.nydailyne...41718?pmSlide=0
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,399 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

You don't pull any water in the city, Chamberlain, Mo does. You don't pull sh** chamberlain. Get yet goldbrickin a** out of the Bronx chamberlain!
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#3 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

For an organization that prides itself on class and tradition -- I hope they cut him.

Granted Mo took the high road, as he always does. Still doesn't make this any less ridiculous.

#4 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Kiss and make up:

He’s a brother to me,” Joba Chamberlain said today. “I’m pretty sure everybody has ha an argument with their sibling at one time or another. It was good. I saw him, we laughed and joked this morning. It’s just another day. … I wouldn’t change it. I wouldn’t change anything I do in life. It happens, it happens. you fess up to it, you talk about it, you laugh and move on. That all you can do. It’s not really a story to begin with.”
Here’s the basic story of what happened: Rivera was doing an interview in the dugout. Chamberlain was standing nearby, talking loudly with fans and family (Chamberlain is from Nebraska and has a huge group at the ballpark this weekend). Rivera asked Chamberlain to be quieter so he could do the interview. Chamberlain took exception to being asked to stay quiet and confronted Rivera about it.

“It shouldn’t happen,” Rivera said. “These are not things that we need to bring in front of you guys or anybody. But it happened and I hope you guys (understand), this is done. This is, again, in-house and we keep it like that.”

Chamberlain told reporters that he saw no reason to apologize and would not change anything about yesterday’s interaction — “I wouldn’t change it. I wouldn’t change anything I do in life,” he said — but Rivera said that Chamberlain did, in fact, apologize today. It is a big deal? Probably not, except that it’s a glimpse at teammates in a way that we rarely see them. And obviously it carries more weight because of the personalities involved. Was Rivera angry or insulted?

“No, I’m better than that,” Rivera said. “When you’re in the team or you’re in the family for so long, you know the members of your family, you know what I mean? He’s a good kid, man. He’s a good kid. Sometimes we all say things that we don’t mean to say. It’s the way it is, and I keep it like that. That doesn’t make me angry because something like that happened. You guys were there in the meeting with the family. That is different. There’s a lot of other things that I have to worry about. I’m better than that, guys, so thank you.”

http://yankees.lhblo...egame-notes-34/

#5 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Well done Joba, *golf clap*, now we all know that nobody puts Baby in the corner... :rolleyes:

Like 2ndCity said, Joba has zero street cred in NY (or anywhere else), Mo is a living legend, if he needs a few minutes quiet to talk to the media, you give it to him, end of story, walk on home boy

and fwiw if Mo was talking about an emotional meeting with families before the game he was sincere about it. I know people who've met and worked with Mo at charity functions (including a close family member) and he's been extremely generous with his time, very friendly, no aloofness or 9 man security team, talked to anyone and everyone, was happy to have his pic taken with people, stayed long after he was scheduled for, and genuinely seemed to care about the cause he was helping out. Mo is the real thing, as much of a gentleman off the field as he is a competitor on it.

Edited by MeisterT, 12 May 2013 - 02:01 PM.

"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#6 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,687 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Keep it classy Joba, keep it classy.

"He said he saw no reason to apologize to Mo -- "For what?" -- and delivered what to the Yankees should be the most chilling line of all, and a fitting epitaph to his Yankees career: "I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't change anything I do in life."

http://espn.go.com/n...vera?src=mobile

#7 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

View Postdzemens, on 14 May 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

"He said he saw no reason to apologize to Mo -- "For what?" -- and delivered what to the Yankees should be the most chilling line of all, and a fitting epitaph to his Yankees career: "I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't change anything I do in life."

To be fair to him he apparently DID apologize (posted in an article above) and then they took some sort of picture together and it was on Twitter or something.

I think a lot more of these things happen throughout the year but teammates are smart enough to keep it in house. You're a family together for 65% of the year. It's going to get testy. All that testosterone, natural and artificial, coupled with road trips and the ills of a season can get to even the most level headed guys.

All the stuff that went unreported in the Sox clubhouse last year (until it blew up) was much worse than Joba telling Mo to shut up. As upset as I was about it before, Mo helped me look at the big picture.

#8 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,687 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 14 May 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

View Postdzemens, on 14 May 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

To be fair to him he apparently DID apologize (posted in an article above) and then they took some sort of picture together and it was on Twitter or something.

I think a lot more of these things happen throughout the year but teammates are smart enough to keep it in house. You're a family together for 65% of the year. It's going to get testy. All that testosterone, natural and artificial, coupled with road trips and the ills of a season can get to even the most level headed guys.

All the stuff that went unreported in the Sox clubhouse last year (until it blew up) was much worse than Joba telling Mo to shut up. As upset as I was about it before, Mo helped me look at the big picture.

Based on what Chamberlain has said I doubt the apology was his, the only source that indicates he did was Rivera and I would bet far more that Rivera, being the class act he is, simply stated that to diffuse it as by all other reports RIvera is the only one to have apologized.

I agree a lot more goes on in house, but clearly Joba is too stupid to realize that as he pretty willingly did this in front of the media and his follow ups have done nothing to diffuse the situation.

#9 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

You're probably right. Just re-read the article and it was only Mo who said he apologized.

#10 Mikewastaken

Mikewastaken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

To give this some fantasy relevancy, I would say it's not out of the question at this point that Joba could be traded. At which point, on another team, he could be reborn as a starter.
@mikewastaken

C: Perez/Mesoraco | CI: E5/Goldy/Abreu/Seager | MI: H. Ramirez/Bogaerts/Wong/Rendon | OF: Braun/Jones/McCutchen/Soriano/Blackmon/Kalhoun
SP: Waino/Minor/Gray/Archer/Masterson/Wheeler/Peralta/Smyly | RP: Perkins/Soria | Minors: Bryant/Gausman

#11 Pusherman

Pusherman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostMikewastaken, on 14 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

To give this some fantasy relevancy, I would say it's not out of the question at this point that Joba could be traded. At which point, on another team, he could be reborn as a starter.

Reborn as a starter (in AAA).

#12 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

Joba was a fantastic starter in college and in the minors before the Yankees ruined his career. It would not surprise me if he was converted into a starter and became fantastic.

Honestly I don't know how one organization can be so bad at ruining top end talent.

Betances could never throw strikes, fine. Brackman is the same. But Manny Banuelos, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain... I just don't get how an organization can be so bad at producing starting pitching prospects.

#13 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Shocking... Joba is still in The Show?

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 14 May 2013 - 12:49 PM.

I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#14 Mikewastaken

Mikewastaken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 14 May 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Joba was a fantastic starter in college and in the minors before the Yankees ruined his career. It would not surprise me if he was converted into a starter and became fantastic.

Honestly I don't know how one organization can be so bad at ruining top end talent.

Betances could never throw strikes, fine. Brackman is the same. But Manny Banuelos, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain... I just don't get how an organization can be so bad at producing starting pitching prospects.

Or how about how they monkeyed with Burnett's mechanics? It was walking on eggshells all the years he was in pinstripes and now in Pittsburgh, presumably left more to his own devices, he is solid once again.

To be fair with Banuelos the jury is out until he succeeds or fails following TJ recovery. I would add in defense of the Yankees, because of their draft position they have to rely more on high-risk, high-reward prospects, often coming out of high school.

I happen to think Joba would do well with a change of scenery. He's wasting away in middle relief in New York.
@mikewastaken

C: Perez/Mesoraco | CI: E5/Goldy/Abreu/Seager | MI: H. Ramirez/Bogaerts/Wong/Rendon | OF: Braun/Jones/McCutchen/Soriano/Blackmon/Kalhoun
SP: Waino/Minor/Gray/Archer/Masterson/Wheeler/Peralta/Smyly | RP: Perkins/Soria | Minors: Bryant/Gausman