Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Matt Magill 2013 Season OutlookIf he can better his command he could prove to have great upside.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,677 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Realistically he's probably a year or two away from being fantasy relevant on a mainstream level.

But he has very good strikeout potential and good upside.

His main draw back right now is his walk rate has been out of control.  So he will certainly have improve upon that before he is actually fantasy relevant.

But he is still fairly young and struck out 29.5% of the batters he faced in The PCL earlier this year.  But he also walked 18% of the batters he faced there as well.  His walk rate in the majors has slightly improved from AAA to 15%,  but is still far too high.

RIght now I see him being someone to watch list or stream against weak hitting teams (which he could dominate against).

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

He won't have a rotation spot anymore and has severe control issues. Greinke is coming back next week, and that will push him back to AAA. He's not someone I'm watching at all this year, but may think about him as a late round guy next year if he gets a spot and fixes his issues. With his current control, he will get constantly lit up in the majors during starts. In all honesty, his future is probably as a reliever. His BB numbers in the minors are hard to look at. He seems to me like a Ubaldo Jimenez/Edinson Volquez, a pitcher that can K batters, but comes with control issues. If he makes adjustments, he could absolutely be great because of his ability to strike out batters, but I'm not considering him unless he makes those adjustments.
Bring back Ray!