Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Madson 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 doog71

doog71

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

According to the LA Times, Madson won't be the closer when he comes off the DL in a few days.

That doesn't mean he won't end up being the closer, but it sounds like Scioscia is going to keep Frieri in the role.

Just a heads-up if you've been stashing Madson on your DL.
10-team mixed ESPN league

C-Santana
1B-Rizzo
2B-D. Gordon
3B-Beltre
2B/SS-Rendon
1B/3B-V. Martinez
OF-Gomez
OF-Puig
OF-Bruce
OF-Bautista
OF-Pence
U-Brantley
U-Cuddyer
SP-Kershaw/Teheran/Latos/Kazmir/Wheeler/Arrieta/Fiers
RP-Janssen/Casilla/Doolittle/Jansen/Feliz

Cap'n Geech & Shrimp Shack Shooters league 10-team mixed Champion 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

#2 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

According to the LA Times, Madson won't be the closer when he comes off the DL in a few days.

That doesn't mean he won't end up being the closer, but it sounds like Scioscia is going to keep Frieri in the role.

Just a heads-up if you've been stashing Madson on your DL.

Hard to evaluate closers when they hardly get a chance to actually save games <_<
"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#3 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

from what i've heard, he definitely won't be the closer right when he comes back, there's no question about that. However, I've heard conflicting thoughts about if he takes over after a few weeks if he pitches well.

It sounds like the angels want him to pitch the 9th and frieri available to pitch the 8th and maybe parts of the 7th. They like madson in the 9th, not just because he has experience, but because it would be less of a work load pitching just one inning. They angels management seems to like frieri as a bridge to madson because they think he can handle more work, especially with madson just returning from injury..
"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#4 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Angels beats love Frieri. So it's hard to gauge. They're making it seem like Mike loves him too.

Maybe next year Madson gets the gig.

#5 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Angels beats love Frieri. So it's hard to gauge. They're making it seem like Mike loves him too.

any of the beat writers say if they think frieri keeps the job the remainder of the year?
"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

#6 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

any of the beat writers say if they think frieri keeps the job the remainder of the year?

I can't find one who hasn't. I know Alden Gonzalez is really high on Frieri and has always said if he gets the opp he runs with it. The blogesphere is on team Frieri too. Which is probably just because Madsen hasn't pitched.

#7 5catstud

5catstud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Yahoo 10 Team H2H Roto

7x7 (H, R, RBI, SB, BB, BA, OPS) x (W, L, BB, K, WHIP, ERA, S)

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Billy Butler
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Edwin Encarnacion
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
OF - Matt Holiday
Util - Dominic Brown
Bench - Leonys Martin
Bench - Jedd Gyorko
Bench - Carl Crawford
Bench - Adam Lind

SP - Adam Wainwright, David Price, Max Scherzer, Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez
RP - Jim Henderson, Chris Perez, Francisco Rodriguez, Oliver Perez

#8 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

right!? unfortunately not everyone thinks that way though... see roenicke, farrell.... scioscia.

#9 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

Angels bullpen IS broken.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#10 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

Angels bullpen IS broken.

frieri may be the sole piece of the bullpen that isn't broken though.

#11 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Both Frieri and Madson have had great success in set-up roles before, so it's not like they can't handle it if that's their role. I'm sure Madson wants to get a shot at closing (and a larger payday next off-season if he can stay healthy), and I'll bet he will at some point. Scioscia is a born tinkerer.

Edited by Bodhizefa, 13 May 2013 - 11:53 PM.

"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#12 5catstud

5catstud

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Both Frieri and Madson have had great success in set-up roles before, so it's not like they can't handle it if that's their role. I'm sure Madson wants to get a shot at closing (and a larger payday next off-season if he can stay healthy), and I'll bet he will at some point. Scioscia is a born tinkerer.

But Bod, do you trust someone coming off TJ surgery with who-knows-what kind of control to close out your games?
Yahoo 10 Team H2H Roto

7x7 (H, R, RBI, SB, BB, BA, OPS) x (W, L, BB, K, WHIP, ERA, S)

C - Salvador Perez
1B - Billy Butler
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - Starlin Castro
3B - Edwin Encarnacion
OF - Justin Upton
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
OF - Matt Holiday
Util - Dominic Brown
Bench - Leonys Martin
Bench - Jedd Gyorko
Bench - Carl Crawford
Bench - Adam Lind

SP - Adam Wainwright, David Price, Max Scherzer, Matt Harvey, Jose Fernandez
RP - Jim Henderson, Chris Perez, Francisco Rodriguez, Oliver Perez

#13 foeplay

foeplay

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Convert him to SP???

#14 Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

Convert him to SP???

Yeah, let's convert a 33yrs old coming from a TJ surgery
Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7......

#15 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

But Bod, do you trust someone coming off TJ surgery with who-knows-what kind of control to close out your games?

Not at first, and that's why I think they're easing him back into the pen. But Frieri has bouts with his control from time to time, so it's easy for me to see Scioscia slotting Madson in at some point after he's shown he's healthy and fully back.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#16 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,998 posts

Hence, he's not going to start out closing. He'll need to work his way up to set up duty and if opportunity knocks and he's pitching well, then Madson can close. It's Frieri's job, nobody knows anything about how Madson will perform.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#17 grimsfield

grimsfield

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

Ryan Madson (elbow) struck out one in a perfect ninth inning Monday in his first rehab appearance with High-A Inland Empire.

Advice: Madson also notched the save. The veteran right-hander will likely pitch in another rehab game on Wednesday, but could be activated from the disabled list later this week. Ernesto Frieri will remain the closer for now, but Madson could work his way into the closer role down the line.

That's gotta be good news if you've been holding onto him. They have him pitching the 9th in rehab and it looks like he can still pitch.

#18 GretzGretzky

GretzGretzky

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Probably wouldn't slot him in until he proves his control.

I do think the Angels want him to close only because they paid him to do so. I personally wouldn't remove Frieri because it's working, but just seems to be how these things work.

But anyway, who knows if he can even pitch successfully at first...

#19 prowlers

prowlers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Thank god my league counts holds. Having drafted him and sticking him on the IR all year, at least his return is finally commencing. I expect him to be the 8th inning guy for a couple weeks initially. However the A's need to get him opportunities. Should both he and Frieri be solid, i can't see their roles changing. That will be determined on it's own.

Edited by prowlers, 14 May 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Sandlot Punks-14 teams/30 man rosters/2 DL/MUST own 7 SP-3 RP/Daily lineups/Points league-Record 18-10
Start 1 C/1B/2B/3B/MI/CI/4 OF/2 Util/5SP/2 RP
Hitting Scoring-1Pt ea.-Sin/BB/HP/GS/HRIP/R/RBI/SH 1.5 pts-Stl 2 pts-Dbl 3 pts-Trip 4 pts-HR 8 pts-CYC K's-(-.5)
Pitching Scoring-L-(-2) BS-(-1.5) ER-(-.5) PG-15 CG-10 NH-9 SV-8 W-7 HD-5 QS-4 SO-2 K's-1 Inn-.5
Roster-Pick 11/14 teams/Max of 3 SP moves per week/CBS league/7TH year
C-Mauer(1b)/Doumit (OF)/McCann
1B-Morneau/C. Johnson(3b)(Satin
CI-Ruf
2B-Prado(SS/3B/OF)/Profar
SS-Aybar/Simmons/A. Escobar
MI
3B-Beltre/Arenado(SS)/Reandon
OF-Cespedes/C.Gonzolez/Bautista/Parra//C. Gomez
2 UTIL
DL-Konorko
SP-Harvey/Medlen/Tillman/Garza/Cole/Gee/E. Ramirez