Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Alex Torres 2013 OutlookRays call him up to replace Price


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Torres used to have a bit of a pedigree as a decent prospect, but that's waned over the years as he was never able to hone his control. I'm not sure what he's doing differently, but his walk numbers this year represent a drastic improvement over career numbers. He's actually been having a stellar year in Durham. So when Price went down with his injury, instead of calling up Chris Archer, the Rays went with Torres.

I'll be interested to see what he looks like these days and what sort of command he can muster at the big league level.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,644 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Baltimore, MD

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Isn't Odorizzi taking the spot of Price?
Bring back Ray!

#3 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 16 May 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Isn't Odorizzi taking the spot of Price?

Not according to Rotoworld and Twitter.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#4 MiggyRunsTings

MiggyRunsTings

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

didn't they say he'd be used in the bullpen though?  or are there reports he's going to start in place of price?
12-team Mixed H2H 5x5 (OBP) Keeper League (6 keeps)

C: Joe Mauer $18 (K)   
1B: Anthony Rizzo $12 (K)  
2B: Brian Dozier FA
SS: Dee Gordon FA
3B: Miggy Cabrera $41 (K)
IF: Pablo Sandoval $8
OF: Hunter Pence $13 (K)
OF: Dexter Fowler $8
OF: Michael Morse $1
OF: Khris Davis $11
U: J.D. Martinez FA
B: James Jones FA

SP: Justin Verlander $24, David Price $23, Cole Hamels $17, Julio Teheran $11 (K), Alex Wood $5, Ian Kennedy $1, Garrett Richards $1
RP: Zach Britton FA, Jake McGee FA, Joaquin Benoit FA, Joe Smith FA
ML: Kevin Gausman $1, Brad Miller $1
DL: Jose Fernandez $5 (K), Michael Pineda $1

#5 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostMiggyRunsTings, on 16 May 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

didn't they say he'd be used in the bullpen though?  or are there reports he's going to start in place of price?

Tampa Bay Times says he's going to the pen, so we'll stick with that.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#6 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

He's been their best starter in AAA this year.

Edited by NoClownQuestionsBro, 16 May 2013 - 04:29 PM.


#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

    All-Time Great

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,816 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

He's going into the bullpen.  He's harnessed his control and says he now has confidence to throw his breaking balls in any count and get it over for a strike.  He was the best pitcher in the Venezuelan Winter league and has been the best pitcher in AAA for the Rays, but b/c of his age and past control issues, they may just make him a high leverage reliever.  Jake is still expected to get called up on Monday to take Price's spot in the rotation.  In standard size leagues, Torres has no fantasy value.  I'm a little surprised they called him up.  He's now out of options so I guess he'll stick in the pen.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

*********

#8 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greensboro, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 16 May 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

He's going into the bullpen.  He's harnessed his control and says he now has confidence to throw his breaking balls in any count and get it over for a strike.  He was the best pitcher in the Venezuelan Winter league and has been the best pitcher in AAA for the Rays, but b/c of his age and past control issues, they may just make him a high leverage reliever.  Jake is still expected to get called up on Monday to take Price's spot in the rotation.  In standard size leagues, Torres has no fantasy value.  I'm a little surprised they called him up.  He's now out of options so I guess he'll stick in the pen.....

I have also heard chatter about him becoming their swing man in the pen. Regardless, the pen's mostly been a sore spot for them (until very recently), so any kind of good performance should be a boon. (p.s. you're like 14 posts away from 20,000 -- nice!)
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#9 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

    All-Time Great

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,816 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostBodhizefa, on 16 May 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 16 May 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

He's going into the bullpen.  He's harnessed his control and says he now has confidence to throw his breaking balls in any count and get it over for a strike.  He was the best pitcher in the Venezuelan Winter league and has been the best pitcher in AAA for the Rays, but b/c of his age and past control issues, they may just make him a high leverage reliever.  Jake is still expected to get called up on Monday to take Price's spot in the rotation.  In standard size leagues, Torres has no fantasy value.  I'm a little surprised they called him up.  He's now out of options so I guess he'll stick in the pen.....

I have also heard chatter about him becoming their swing man in the pen. Regardless, the pen's mostly been a sore spot for them (until very recently), so any kind of good performance should be a boon. (p.s. you're like 14 posts away from 20,000 -- nice!)

Yea, makes sense for them.  Jake McGee has been a disappointment too so depending on how he pitches maybe works up to being the high leverage lefty.  Who knows.  Just surprised they'd burn his last option on him but maybe I'm mistaken about that.

I win a set of steak knives for 20k.  Unfortunately, about 15k of those are in the Moderator Forum talking about you savages!  :lol:   Nobody will ever see them!   I have a ways to go before I catch up with Rush2112 though.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

*********

#10 raysfan

raysfan

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

called back up today and been very impressive in long relief, could he make some starts with Archer struggling in his start ?

#11 spaghetti

spaghetti

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm intrigued by his stuff. Has good late movement on his fastball and change. Thrown two great long-relief scoreless appearances. Could be something to monitor if he gets a rotation spot.

#12 SkinsNoles21

SkinsNoles21

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

When does this guy get a spot in the rotation. He's been dealing.
Weekly 12 Team 6x6 H2H Keeper

Bats:
C: Yan Gomes 1B: Miguel Cabrera (K) 2B: Jose Altuve 3B: Josh Donaldson SS: Erick Aybar OF: Yoenis Cespedes (K), Alex Rios, Khris Davis Util: Ryan Howard B: JD Martinez, Billy Butler, Kole Calhoun DL: Carlos Gonzalez (K), Brandon Belt

Arms:
SPs: Adam Wainwright (K), Corey Kulber RPs: Aroldis Chapman (K), Sean Doolittle Ps: Mat Latos, Jake Arrieta, Jesse Hahn, B: Jonathan Niese, Danny Duffy, Matt Shoemaker

#13 SkinsNoles21

SkinsNoles21

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I know he's just a middle reliever, but has anyone seen this guys numbers? Surprise he hasn't been talked about.

16.0 innings pitched, 2 wins, 23 Ks, 0.00 ERA, and 0.38 WHIP since getting called up.

Some guy in my weekly league is trying to get cute and roll with all relievers. So I'll throw this guy at him.
Weekly 12 Team 6x6 H2H Keeper

Bats:
C: Yan Gomes 1B: Miguel Cabrera (K) 2B: Jose Altuve 3B: Josh Donaldson SS: Erick Aybar OF: Yoenis Cespedes (K), Alex Rios, Khris Davis Util: Ryan Howard B: JD Martinez, Billy Butler, Kole Calhoun DL: Carlos Gonzalez (K), Brandon Belt

Arms:
SPs: Adam Wainwright (K), Corey Kulber RPs: Aroldis Chapman (K), Sean Doolittle Ps: Mat Latos, Jake Arrieta, Jesse Hahn, B: Jonathan Niese, Danny Duffy, Matt Shoemaker

#14 zizi

zizi

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

What's crazy is he is even better with runners on

43 batters faced with the bases empty batters are hitting .105 with a .209 OBP

21 batters faced with runners on .000 BA .000 OBP

#15 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

He's been a stud in my points league. Already one of the best relievers in that league despite not having pitched as many innings as other relievers.
"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James




.

#16 ponziacs

ponziacs

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Came in with the bases loaded and 1 out, strikes out 2 batters in a row.

23 batters faced with runners on, .000 OBP

#17 lolix

lolix

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Then a scoreless inning with a strikeout. Stud.

The Rays said a few weeks ago they will just let him carry on doing what he's doing but he was a starter in the minors and with the current rotation issues continuing on a daily basis I wonder if they'll give Torres consideration for a start.

#18 ponziacs

ponziacs

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

why was he pulled after 1 2/3 innings? Bullpen blew the 2 run lead he had.

#19 ponziacs

ponziacs

    Double-A

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Got another win today. WHIP at .61, ERA at .26 through 34.1IP along with 42Ks.

#20 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Why is he only rostered in 7% of Yahoo leagues?

Sure he doesn't get many saves or holds but I don't see how people wouldn't want a guy who helps your ratios and vultures wins on a roster.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users