Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Tyler Wilson 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if Flynn got usurped by a rookie QB for the 2nd year in a row?

http://nfl.si.com/20...aiders-starter/
http://www.rantsport...arting-qb-spot/

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that fourth-round pick Tyler Wilson made a "very big impression" on Raiders brass during his first week of offseason practices.
Mort suggested Raiders officials believe Wilson "looks a little better than (they) thought" he would. It's a positive early step because Wilson is likely to shine in live, contact situations as well due to his toughness in the pocket. Right now, Wilson is just throwing the ball against air and DBs who can't hit. In terms of being a value pick, Wilson was our favorite quarterback in the 2013 draft.
12 Team Keeper, 0.5 PPR, All TDs = 6 pta
QB: Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez
RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory, Jonas Gray
WR: Josh Gordon, Roddy White, Odell Beckham Jr, Vincent Jackson
TE: Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski

#2 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I wouldn't be shocked to see Wilson move up the depth chart. Flynn's position as starter certainly isn't rigid. Heck, earlier in the offseason they even discussed starting Pryor.

Honestly, none of these options should inspire much confidence from Oakland fans or fantasy owners but that probably goes without saying.

#3 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

End of the year 2011, Tyler Wilson was looking like potentially the #1 pick in the 2013 Draft; but then the Bobby Petrino scandal broke and Wilson didn't adjust to the next coaching staff quickly or well enough to take another step forward in 2012.

Really a lot of things contributed to a down year for Wilson & Arkansas:
-The Petrino turmoil happened right before Spring Practice, not exactly good timing for a team who was looking to make a BCS run or it's QB who was a Heisman Trophy Candidate the day after the 2011 season ended (not that there's ever a good time for that news to break).
-An early season concussion that cost him more than a game and a half, which combined with missing out on a Bowl appearance this past year, he really only played 10.5 games vs 13 games in 2011.
-Due to a higher volume, but less refined offensive scheme, he actually threw for significantly more yards per game and yards per attempt in 2012 (308/8.45 vs 280/8.31), even more if you give him the missed half against Louisiana Tech (who ended up winning the game in OT 34-31). He did throw for a slightly worse Completion Percentage & Passer Rating in 2012 though.
-Also had to deal with the loss of his top two WR's, Jarius Wright and Joe Adams (both 4th round picks in 2012 by Minnesota & Carolina respectively).

Losing out on the 2nd year of "Starting QB" tutelage from Bobby Petrino may have been a little smoke screen that hurt him more than anything. Teams probably felt in 2011 he was "learning to play QB", but in 2012 he would've "learned to play NFL QB" -- maybe he picked up more from Petrino in 2011 than scouts thought.

Aside from Geno Smith who's going to be forced into the job too early, and probably Mike Glennon (where Tampa looks to be giving up on Josh Freeman before the preseason), I thought Wilson had the best chance to be starting earlier than later at QB. Matt Flynn is quite possibly a huge fraud, everyone looks at that one game for GB (480/6 against Detroit where Stafford had 520/5, Calvin Johnson 11/244/1), but that game was just a ridiculous outlier game where the Defenses pretty much said "Screw it, let's just watch". He was mediocre in the preseason last year, and made it pretty easy to give Russell Wilson the job, regardless of how "nice" Pete Carroll wants to act about it.

Edited by RespectMyAuthority, 16 May 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#4 jtaylor39

jtaylor39

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

End of the year 2011, Tyler Wilson was looking like potentially the #1 pick in the 2013 Draft; but then the Bobby Petrino scandal broke and Wilson didn't adjust to the next coaching staff quickly or well enough to take another step forward in 2012.

Really a lot of things contributed to a down year for Wilson & Arkansas:
-The Petrino turmoil happened right before Spring Practice, not exactly good timing for a team who was looking to make a BCS run or it's QB who was a Heisman Trophy Candidate the day after the 2011 season ended (not that there's ever a good time for that news to break).
-An early season concussion that cost him more than a game and a half, which combined with missing out on a Bowl appearance this past year, he really only played 10.5 games vs 13 games in 2011.
-Due to a higher volume, but less refined offensive scheme, he actually threw for significantly more yards per game and yards per attempt in 2012 (308/8.45 vs 280/8.31), even more if you give him the missed half against Louisiana Tech (who ended up winning the game in OT 34-31). He did throw for a slightly worse Completion Percentage & Passer Rating in 2012 though.
-Also had to deal with the loss of his top two WR's, Jarius Wright and Joe Adams (both 4th round picks in 2012 by Minnesota & Carolina respectively).

Losing out on the 2nd year of "Starting QB" tutelage from Bobby Petrino may have been a little smoke screen that hurt him more than anything. Teams probably felt in 2011 he was "learning to play QB", but in 2012 he would've "learned to play NFL QB" -- maybe he picked up more from Petrino in 2011 than scouts thought.

Aside from Geno Smith who's going to be forced into the job too early, and probably Mike Glennon (where Tampa looks to be giving up on Josh Freeman before the preseason), I thought Wilson had the best chance to be starting earlier than later at QB. Matt Flynn is quite possibly a huge fraud, everyone looks at that one game for GB (480/6 against Detroit where Stafford had 520/5, Calvin Johnson 11/244/1), but that game was just a ridiculous outlier game where the Defenses pretty much said "Screw it, let's just watch". He was mediocre in the preseason last year, and made it pretty easy to give Russell Wilson the job, regardless of how "nice" Pete Carroll wants to act about it.

I woudn't believe rotoworlds blurb on this, it's out of town hyperbole. Down here in Tampa everyone expects Josh to be the starter they just want to give Glennon reps to see what he's got. I'd be shocked if Glennon played in the regular season.
NABL 12 team ppr $$ League
2011 Champion
2012 3rd Place
2013 2nd Place

FFAH League
2009, 2010, 2011 Champion

I cash checks.

#5 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

I wanted the Cowboys to draft this guy as insurance/future Romo replacement.

It would be kinda lulzy to see Flynn get passed up by a rookie twice though.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#6 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I woudn't believe rotoworlds blurb on this, it's out of town hyperbole. Down here in Tampa everyone expects Josh to be the starter they just want to give Glennon reps to see what he's got. I'd be shocked if Glennon played in the regular season.

I almost didn't even include him, my original rankings were 1. Geno, 2. Wilson, 3. Glennon, 4. Manuel, 5. Barkley

#7 luzxkm

luzxkm

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

I wouldn't be shocked to see Wilson move up the depth chart.Posted Image

#8 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

I might be much higher on him in dynasty/keeper format if he hadn't been drafted by Oakland.
I have 2 warning points. How many until I get a prize?

#9 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

I might be much higher on him in dynasty/keeper format if he hadn't been drafted by Oakland.

Skeletor is dead, they'll start to make some progress as an organization (not gonna be fast, and it may require a few steps backwards first, but there'll be progress).

#10 jnormy

jnormy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Not only the second rookie in a row, but with the same last name. Matt Flynn's recurring nightmare...

Posted Image