Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Eric Chavez 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,028 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Id been keeping an eye on this guy for a while now and hes really hit well so far against righties. Finally made the add and he hits a HR tonight. If he can stay healthy I can see this guy having good value as a CI type in deeper leagues or if you are hard pressed for 3B help.

The big question obviously is if he can stay healthy, his ability to hit the ball is still there.

His value declines in a weekly league unless you know hes facing righties but for daily leagues hes probably worth a roster spot in deeper leagues as long as he stays healthy.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

This is what I wrote about him in this week's waiver wire touts:

- mashing against righties so far this season (.979 OPS)
- batting 4th behind Goldschmidt
- playing in a hitter's park
- playing a position (3B) where a lot of drafted players have been struggling so far

He won't play vs lefties so he's more suitable for daily leagues.

If he can stay healthy (And that's a big if) then he can help out plenty of owners who need help at the 3B position. He hit 16 HR's last season for the Yankees in only 278 AB.

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#3 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,028 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

This is what I wrote about him in this week's waiver wire touts:

- mashing against righties so far this season (.979 OPS)
- batting 4th behind Goldschmidt
- playing in a hitter's park
- playing a position (3B) where a lot of drafted players have been struggling so far

He won't play vs lefties so he's more suitable for daily leagues.

If he can stay healthy (And that's a big if) then he can help out plenty of owners who need help at the 3B position. He hit 16 HR's last season for the Yankees in only 278 AB.

Great minds!
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#4 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

4 more hits today, including his 5th HR. Keep on mashing Eric!

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#5 Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

.337 .398 .584

Not bad for his first 89 AB's I grabbed him to platoon with a moribund Todd Frazier at a barren 3B position...

Edited by Troutmask96, 18 May 2013 - 12:35 AM.

12-team 2-QB .5 pt. PPR re-draft

Start: 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1 TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K

QB Matthew Stafford, Matthew Ryan, Johnny Manziel
RB Matthew Forte, Tre Mason, Lamar Miller, Joique Bell, Latavius Murray
WR Dez Bryant, Mike Evans, Keenan Allen, Kenny Stills
TE Travis Kelce
D/ST Stream
K Cody Parkey

"Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak" - The Art of War

#6 castaway98

castaway98

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Picked him up today in my 12 team 5x5 daily and started him in the 2nd UTIL spot. Needless to say, what a "first date". As the above posters said, love the park, love the splits (for a daily), love 4th behind Goldschmidt.

#7 baleswb

baleswb

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

added him after this 4/5 night, i like it and expect big things here after- his spot in the lineup is huge

#8 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

I like the idea of riding him right now, while he's hot and while Aaron Hill is out leaving the Diamondbacks infield with a big hole to fill, but what happens when Hill returns? Any chance Chavez could continue to get regular ABs at 3B and the D'Backs would play Prado elsewhere?

The OF is also crowded, especially when Adam Eaton returns - Ross, Kubel, Parra, Eaton, Pollock.

10 team 2-QB, PPR, IDP, Auction dynasty
QB1 - Peyton Manning, QB2 - Mark Sanchez
WR1 - Julio Jones, WR2 - Mike Evans
RB1 - Matt Forte, RB2 - C.J. Anderson
TE - Travis Kelce
W/R - Jonathan Stewart
W/T - Keenan Allen
Bench - Colin Kaepernick, Boom Herron, Giovani Bernard, Davante Adams, Larry Donnell

IR - C.J. Spiller

DB1 - Harrison Smith, DB2 - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, DB3 - Joe Haden 
DL1 - Cameron Wake, DB2 - Carlos Dunlap, DL3 - Sheldon Richardson
LB1 - Lavonte David, LB2 - Paul Worrilow LB3 - Telvin Smith
D Flex - Nigel Bradham
Bench - Kiko Alonso, T.J. Ward

#9 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

5 out of their next 7 games will be against righties, including 2 games vs righties at Coors. Keep on rollin'.

#10 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

3 more hits today. He's now batting .477 this month with 6 doubles, 1 HR - 10 RBI.

#11 Phina11y

Phina11y

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

I like the idea of riding him right now, while he's hot and while Aaron Hill is out leaving the Diamondbacks infield with a big hole to fill, but what happens when Hill returns? Any chance Chavez could continue to get regular ABs at 3B and the D'Backs would play Prado elsewhere?

The OF is also crowded, especially when Adam Eaton returns - Ross, Kubel, Parra, Eaton, Pollock.

AJ Pollock is the odd man out, but Adam Eaton is struggling in the minors right now. I don't see how they could bench Eric when the whole team is healthy. Prado is not doing anything. I'm tempted to drop Ryan Howard for Eric Chavez. He does play 1B and 3B, so he could get in the lineup when Prado, Goldschmidt, or any of the OF gets a day off. They can slide Prado to the OF. A lot of options, but I can see Prado become more of a utility player and the whole OF rotating based on who's hot/cold and matchups (Kubel, Ross, Parra, Eaton). Prado can play every position beside C, so Chavez can play whenever someone gets a day off. Time will tell, but this is just my opinion. Chavez killed it last year in limited AB's for the Yankees and looks awesome so far this year. They have him batting at cleanup, so I really can't see him sitting on the bench.

Edited by Phina11y, 20 May 2013 - 10:11 PM.

12 Team NBA Yahoo Daily H2H $ League 2nd Place (FG%, FTM, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, STL, BLK, TO, DD)

PG Damian Lillard

SG Nicolas Batum

SF Jimmy Butler

PF Paul Millsap

C Al Horford

Util Ty Lawson

Util Tyreke Evans

Util Josh Smith

Util Kemba Walker

Bench Wilson Chandler, Kenneth Faried, Rodney Stuckey, Rudy Gobert, Robert Covington, Jodie Meeks, Anthony Morrow, Tyler Zeller

#12 RAZRr1275

RAZRr1275

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 14,580 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Anyone know what's up with his PT?
Roto keeper (keeps 15) that has the following cats R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG, IP, K, QS, SV, ERA WHIP. 270 Start limit

C - Devin Mesoraco
1B - Jose Bautista
2B - Daniel Murphy
3B - Wilmer Flores
SS - Ian Desmond
IF - Jose Abreu
OF - Carlos Gomez, Jose Bautista, Bryce Harper, Corey Dickerson, Michael Brantley
UTIL - Matt Holliday
Bench - Nolan Arenado, Jake Marisnick, Avisail Garcia
SP - Max Scherzer, Zach Greinke, Julio Teheran, Derek Holland, Gerrit Cole, Jake Arrieta, Jose Quintana, Dallas Keuchel, Mike Fiers
RP - Drew Storen, Tony Watson, Kevin Quackenbush, Delin Betances, Wade Davis, Ken Giles
DL - (3 spots) - Matt Harvey, Cliff Lee, Garrett Richards

#13 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Anyone know what's up with his PT?

Yeah, he doesn't start versus lefties. Pretty simple.

And he'll likely become droppable in most leagues once Hill returns.

#14 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

And he'll likely become droppable in most leagues once Hill returns.

You really think so?
Couldn't they just put Prado in RF/LF, and sit Cody Ross?
Chavez at 3B, Hill at 2B, Didi at SS

He's been so good lately... HR tonight

#15 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

And another HR for the old man. He simply keeps raking: 7 HR - 24 RBI and still batting 4th in that lineup.

Among all 3B with at least 100 AB he's 2nd in OPS.

Edited by Sine_cera, 26 May 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#16 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

So good this month or so...

#17 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

So good this month or so...

He's been good since last season.

Since last season his numbers are: .297 - 23 HR - 61 RBI with a .881 OPS in only 387 AB.

#18 el_Mantico

el_Mantico

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Nick Piecoro@nickpiecoro53s

Well this isn't good. Eric Chavez just took a swing and walked back to the dugout in pain. Cliff Pennington in the game to replace him.

Nick Piecoro@nickpiecoro1m

Chavez might have hurt his oblique. It looked like he grabbed at his side.

Yahoo 10-team mixed H2H playoffs - AVG, OPS, R, RBI, HR, SB / W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, QS
C - Ramos, 1B - Teixeira, 2B - Dee Gordon, SS - Desmond, 3B - EE (DL), OF1 - Trout, OF2 - Cruz, OF3 - J. Hamilton, OF4 - Polanco, Util - Duda, CI - Moss, MI - Betts

DL - Liriano, NA - K. Bryant

SP: Strasburg, Tanaka, Teheran, Darvish, Kazmir, Zimmerman, Stroman
RP: Jansen, Rosenthal, Chapman, Doolittle, Nathan

Yahoo 12-team mixed roto - AVG, OPS, R, RBI, HR, SB / W%, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD - 1225 Max IP
C - Lucroy, 1B - J. Abreu, 2B - Altuve, SS - D. Gordon, 3B - Donaldson, OF1 - Moss, OF2 - Gomez, OF3 - JD Martinez, OF4 - Polanco, Util - Viciedo, IF - Chissenhall

Bench - M. Betts

DL - Gattis, Beckett

SP: Tanaka, Wainwright, Cobb, Stroman, Simon
RP: Jansen, Doolittle, Soria, Grilli, Clippard, W. Davis

#19 foeplay

foeplay

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

color me shocked! :(

#20 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

really odd play. he swung, seemed to cuss under his breathe, and just walked straight into the clubhouse after saying maybe 2 words to gibson.

it was 0-2 count and he knew whatever just happened wasn't good. from his reaction i doubt it's a day-to-day type thing.
Baseball can't get here fast enough