Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Kenley Jansen 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Ok, this guy blew a save yesterday, but I don't understand why he wasn't just named the closer at the beginning of the season. Didn't he do a nice job last year? Same thing happened with this guy last season with Guerra...now it is League. By seasons end he was closer but now he has League in his way.

12 Team Redraft PPR League (QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, FLEX, K, DEF)
QB Cam Newton, Andy Dalton
RB Alfred Morris, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas, Matt Asiata, Knile Davis, Adrian Peterson, Ryan Mathews
WR AJ Green, Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, Terrence Williams
TE Kyle Rudolph
K Matt Bryant

DEF Houston

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

He did do a good job last year. He won't be a setup for too much longer. League is simply not a good pitcher. I was saying it in the offseason and I'm sticking to it. I thought Jansen would be the closer by the end of April, obviously that didn't happen, but League doesn't have much leash. I believe he was simply a product of Safeco, and is now being exposed in LA. Even though he's only blown 1 save, the Dodgers can't afford to be losing games by sticking to him. They have a lot of pressure to win after spending all that money, and Jansen gives them the best bet to do that.
Bring back Ray!

#3 caseyatbat

caseyatbat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

The 8th is just as important and putting Jensen there takes him out of the position. There are more pitching opportunities when you are slightly behind, tied, or slightly ahead and the team is asking him to keep it close. The closer only comes in when it is a closing situation or if he needs work in. I agree Jensen >> League. But I think it might be a mistake to put League in the 7th or 8 th because he doesn't have the rubber arm that Kenley has.

#4 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

he wasn't named the closer b/c the organization wanted to feel good about spending money wherever they could, including on league
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Bautista
2B/ Gyorko
SS/
Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Cespedes, Rajai, Soler, Heyward
Utl/ Morales
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos, Tillman, Greene
RP/ Ross,
Stroman, Carrasco, Miley

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#5 caseyatbat

caseyatbat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Now pitching diarrhea has "spilled" over to Jansen. I just hate when managers (I'm looking at you Mattingly) waffle back and forth and mind-f**k their own players. Am I the closer or not, when am I supposed to pitch, etc...

Jansen is a GREAT 7th-8th inning guy with top shelf stuff. Let's not screw that up by bringing League into this. They don't really have someone else to back Jansen if he fails in the 9th. Yeah, Health Bell sucks, but you let him pitch the 9th if not to keep Hernadez (a far superior pitcher) in the 8th.

Neftali Perez was another pitcher who was screwed around like this. Bard another one.

#6 kingjames02392

kingjames02392

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Why did I pick this guy up last week?
12 team .5 PPR

QB- Matt Ryan
WR- AJ Green, Marshall, Sanders
RB- Stacy, Gerhart
TE- Heath
FLEX- Torrey Smith

BN- Pierce, Ivory, Ridley, Terrence, DMC, Hakeem Nicks

#7 pbjfb

pbjfb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Now pitching diarrhea has "spilled" over to Jansen. I just hate when managers (I'm looking at you Mattingly) waffle back and forth and mind-f**k their own players. Am I the closer or not, when am I supposed to pitch, etc...

Jansen is a GREAT 7th-8th inning guy with top shelf stuff. Let's not screw that up by bringing League into this. They don't really have someone else to back Jansen if he fails in the 9th. Yeah, Health Bell sucks, but you let him pitch the 9th if not to keep Hernadez (a far superior pitcher) in the 8th.

Neftali Perez was another pitcher who was screwed around like this. Bard another one.

mattingly sucks

#8 Peppy

Peppy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

FINALLY, CLOSER!!!!
Then no one can stop the wrath of Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz!

As they say in Mexico, "Dasvidaniya!" Down there, that's two vidaniyas.

When it comes to havoc nobody wreaks like me!"

#9 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

#1 fantasy closer rest of the season!! Patience pays off!!
Competitive start 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 12 team H2H deep re-draft league, all TDs = 6 pts. Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

QB (2) - Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, Chad Henne, Geno Smith, Shaun Hill
RB/FLEX (2) - DeMarco Murray, Doug Martin, Matt Asiata, Jeremy Miller, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram, Knile Davis
WR (4) - Calvin Johnson, Michael Crabtree, TY Hilton, Brian Quick, Rueben Randle, Josh Gordon, Justin Hunter
TE (2) - Rob Gronkowski, Heath Miller, Martellus Bennett
K (2) - Shayne Graham, Nate Freese
DEF (2) - Cleveland, New Orleans
IDP (4) - Lavonte David, Jared Mayo, Alec Ogletree, Ryan Shazier

#10 mthdmn

mthdmn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

'bout damn time
Yahoo Standard H2H $$$ League (12 Teams)

C Devin Mesoraco
1B Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Adams
2B Neil Walker, Martin Prado, Arismendy Alcantara
3B Manny Machado,
Ryan Zimmerman
SS Starlin Castro
OF Giancarlo Stanton,
Adam Jones, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco, Joc Pederson
SP Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmerman, Garrett Richards, Matt Cain, Dillon Gee, Danny Duffy, Dallas Keuchel
RP Aroldis Chapman, Steve Cishek, Mark Melancon, Hector Rondon, Dellin Betances

#11 bmay

bmay

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Mattingly is clueless and should be bringing this dude in at least ONCE a week, even if there's no save situation. Seriously, what is he thinking?!
14-team H2H Points League (weekly):
C - McCann
1B - Rizzo
2B - Cano
3B - Encarnacion
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Braun, Bruce, Hunter
DH - Seager
Bench - Beltran, Davis, Harper (DL), Polanco, Solarte

P - Bailey, Cain, Doolittle, Iwakuma, Kluber, Lynn, Quintana, Samardzija
Bench - De La Rosa, Holland (DL), Janssen, Kuroda, Liriano, Porcello, Smyly, Syndergaard (M)

#12 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, I'm just waiting for his first appearance/save chance in days and for an implosion myself... it is frusterating to sit back and watch/wait for. Let's just hope it doesn't happen the first chance he gets.... because Donnie is canned if he does get fired, I could just as easily see League with the job back again with one bad outing even at that.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#13 yanksman

yanksman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yeah, I'm just waiting for his first appearance/save chance in days and for an implosion myself... it is frusterating to sit back and watch/wait for. Let's just hope it doesn't happen the first chance he gets.... because Donnie is canned if he does get fired, I could just as easily see League with the job back again with one bad outing even at that.

he did blow his first save chance last week

#14 mastermin(d)esign

mastermin(d)esign

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Kenley Jansen struck out the side and earned his fifth save of the year Monday against the Giants.
Jansen, recently tabbed as the Dodgers' closer, has struck out at least one batter in every one of his June appearances. He's allowed just one run over his last 15 2/3 innings. One of the league's premier relief arms, Jansen owns a 2.37 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and retina-exploding 56/6 K/BB ratio over 38 innings.

seriously rotoworld?

#15 yanksman

yanksman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Kenley Jansen struck out the side and earned his fifth save of the year Monday against the Giants.
Jansen, recently tabbed as the Dodgers' closer, has struck out at least one batter in every one of his June appearances. He's allowed just one run over his last 15 2/3 innings. One of the league's premier relief arms, Jansen owns a 2.37 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and retina-exploding 56/6 K/BB ratio over 38 innings.

seriously rotoworld?

better than rectally exploding

#16 TribeFoo

TribeFoo

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

I laughed when I read that, too. And I laughed in a mocking fashion. These writers are so over-the-top sometimes.
12-team 5x5 weekly dynasty/contract league

C - Joe Mauer
1B - Lucas Duda
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - Kyle Seager
SS - J.J. Hardy
LF - Alex Gordon
CF - Carlos Gomez
RF - Jose Bautista
UTIL - Corey Dickerson
BN - Chris Davis, J.D. Martinez, Kole Calhoun

SP - Madison Bumgarner, Jon Lester, Zack Wheeler, Drew Smyly, Willy Peralta, Tanner Roark
RP - Greg Holland
BN - Kevin Gausman, Tim Lincecum, Andrew Heaney, Danny Duffy, Jeremy Hellickson
DL - Jose Fernandez

#17 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

seriously rotoworld?

better than rectally exploding

Obviously "eye-popping" wasn't strong enough...Reminds me of the Friends episode where Joey writes a letter of recommendation for Chandler and Monica to the adoption agency and he uses the thesaurus on every word to sound "smart."

Edited by Halo Fan, 26 June 2013 - 05:23 PM.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#18 pbjfb

pbjfb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Was it right to charge him with the ER tonight?
http://sports.yahoo....e=plays#inning9
it says right there: "J. Rollins flied out to center, M. Young scored on center fielder M. Kemp's fielding error"
Is it possible that this might get fixed later?

#19 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,466 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

Definitely an earned run. Unfortunately even though there were 2 errors, even if the errors didn't happen, the runner would be on first.

Therefore when the triple happened that run would have scored.

Since no one reached on error, only advanced on error, it was earned.

It sucks because really it was his clown defense that let him down, even ethier on the "triple."
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backups Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten (backup Kelce)
FLEX Ben Tate (backup RB benny cunningham, roy helu)

#20 pbjfb

pbjfb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

Definitely an earned run. Unfortunately even though there were 2 errors, even if the errors didn't happen, the runner would be on first.

Therefore when the triple happened that run would have scored.

Since no one reached on error, only advanced on error, it was earned.

It sucks because really it was his clown defense that let him down, even ethier on the "triple."

oh i see... so if D. Brown had got out after, then it would have not been an ER? or do advances on errors count as earned no matter what?