240 replies to this topic

#1 azure85

azure85

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Wondering what your thoughts are on him.  I'm not big into college football so don't know much about him, but this guy was drafted with the Pats 2nd pick so, they must have some plans for him in the immediate future.  Gronk is probably in surgery as we speak and Hernandez/Amendola aren't the picture of perfect health.   I wouldn't mind getting this guy as my 4th receiver maybe even my 3rd depending how everything plays out leading up to the draft.

The only issue is I know some people got burned by Ocho a couple of years ago and by Lloyd last year to include myself so I don't really have much faith in anyone besides the two TEs/whoever is the slot guy.

#2 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

You nailed it in that last sentence. The WR2 in that offense is the 4th option at best. I'd draft him as a WR5 late round flier. Haven't really read any buzz on him yet that would propel him higher in my rankings.

If we are talking Dynasty though I'd be a bit more intrigued.

#3 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

gronk's back ... amendola's injury history ... i'm seeing fitz/miles austin comparisons ...

hype train now departing

#4 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Holy ever loving crap is that a tough catch. Go out and try to catch anything like that backhanded, he must have the grip of Lou Ferrigno.
Check out the 2014 Rotoworld Mock Real League in "Your League" Threads.

#5 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

That's sick. I might have to consider him as a WR4 afterall.

#6 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Said this to all my friends who LOVED Brandon Lloyd last year...

In the Tom Brady era, there has been a single outside WR who was a valuable Fantasy Starter, 2007 & 09 Randy Moss.

Top NE WR's (Outside the Slot)
2012 - Lloyd (911/4)
2011 - Branch (702/5)
2010 - Branch (706/5)
2009 - Moss (1264/13) - didn't break 75 yards in final 7 games in his transition out of town
2008 - Moss (1008/11) - pretty crappy considering previous season, but was with Matt Cassel
2007 - Moss (1493/23) - berzerker Brady season
2006 - Reche Caldwell (760/4)
2005 - Branch (998/5)
2004 - David Givens (874/3) / David Patten (800/7)
2003 - Branch (803/3)
2002 - Troy Brown (890/3) / Patten (824/5)

Thought Lloyd would be decent, but no where near his draft day value, which is about what happened -- and if you owned him and didn't make your league's semifinals in Week 15, you didn't even get his monster 10 for 190 game.  I'd put Dobson's upside around 55-800-4, which may be a decent line for where he's going, but I don't expect him to be a fantasy difference maker this year, Brady loves his targets on the inside of the hashes.

#7 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

I hear ya on Lloyd. I owned him last year and was swamped with trade offers the first 4 weeks of the season for him, I could've taken any of them and probably won the league instead of finishing 3rd.

Right now Dobson's ADP is in the mid-10th, if it stays there I would consider him but anything higher then that and I'm out. If Gronk is out or limited the first few games he could maybe string together some decent numbers but when everyone is on the field he's going to be Brady's 4th read at best.

(still, that was a hell of a catch :) )

Edited by DocJ, 13 June 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Check out the 2014 Rotoworld Mock Real League in "Your League" Threads.

#8 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

I have a gut feeling that Gronk's back injury may linger more than expected this season. Hernandez and Amendola aren't models of durability either.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#9 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostRyan81, on 13 June 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

I have a gut feeling that Gronk's back injury may linger more than expected this season. Hernandez and Amendola aren't models of durability either.

You do realize that Gronk missed 5 games last year and Hernandez missed 6 games, plus Welker started the year out hobbled -- still didn't do much for Lloyd, don't think it's going to magically make Dobson a stud if those guys miss some time this year.

#10 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Coming into the year I liked Dobson as a late round flier.  Now his hype train has started as I keep hearing his name come up on radio and in articles and as that ADP goes up my like goes down.  This guy is still a rookie.   A rookie in an offense that hasn't exactly pumped out WR studs.  Even though it is a high power offense its also one of the more complex offenses in the league.  There's no guarantee he will even be able to learn it enough the suceed by the time the season comes.  I feel like people think this guy is the next coming of Moss and that just isn't the case.

#11 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 14 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

You do realize that Gronk missed 5 games last year and Hernandez missed 6 games, plus Welker started the year out hobbled -- still didn't do much for Lloyd, don't think it's going to magically make Dobson a stud if those guys miss some time this year.
I didn't say Dobson was going to be a stud. Hell, I didn't say anything about Dobson at all.

But since you brought up Lloyd, he still had over 70 receptions and 900+ yards. Not great but not terrible.

#12 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostRyan81, on 14 June 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 14 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I didn't say Dobson was going to be a stud. Hell, I didn't say anything about Dobson at all.

But since you brought up Lloyd, he still had over 70 receptions and 900+ yards. Not great but not terrible.

That's fine and dandy, but when you make a comment like that in a thread about a specific player, you have to expect people to read between the lines and interpret that as, "I like Dobson, because I think Gronk is gonna be out and Hernandez/Amendola are injury prone"

#13 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm sorry that you assumed I was calling him the next Randy Moss.  Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions next time?

Pointing out a possible situation in which he could be relevant =/= calling him a stud.

#14 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Looks like he's been working behind some bums.

Undrafted rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins has received first-team reps at OTAs.

Michael Jenkins, special teamer Kamar Aiken, and UDFA Thompkins have reportedly been the "primary outside receivers," working ahead of Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, and Donald Jones. Thompkins went undrafted due to production and character concerns, although he's turned his life around and is a prospect to monitor. This isn't the first time we've heard he's looked good in practice.

$$$ Keeper League - 12 Team 0.5 PPR, All TD's = 6 points
(11-2) Regular Season - 1st Place, Playoff Runner Up
QB: N. Foles
RB: E. Lacy, R. Bush, G. Bernard, S. Vereen, A. Brown, (L. Murray)
WR: C. Johnson, J. Nelson, M. Wallace, P. Harvin, J. Blackmon
TE: J. Graham, D. Pitta, (R. Gronkowski)

#15 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostRyan81, on 14 June 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

I'm sorry that you assumed I was calling him the next Randy Moss.  Maybe you shouldn't make assumptions next time?

Pointing out a possible situation in which he could be relevant =/= calling him a stud.

I never said YOU said he was a stud, I said "I DON'T THINK those injuries won't necessarily make him a stud"

Your bad, maybe next time YOU shouldn't make a assumptions.

#16 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 14 June 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

I never said YOU said he was a stud, I said "I DON'T THINK those injuries won't necessarily make him a stud"

Go read what you posted again. Leaving out a small word such as "I" changes the meaning completely.

Is Julian Edelman still in the mix or is he still hurt?

#17 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostRyan81, on 14 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 14 June 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Go read what you posted again. Leaving out a small word such as "I" changes the meaning completely.

Is Julian Edelman still in the mix or is he still hurt?

I was kidding, but how does that "I" change anything?  I said, "don't think", when I say it doesn't that mean, "I don't think"?

Last I heard Edelman was still having problems with his foot injury, but was out of the walking boot.  He won't be anything more than Amendola's backup, too small to play outside.

#18 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure if your plan was to confuse me, but you succeeded.

#19 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostRyan81, on 14 June 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I'm not sure if your plan was to confuse me, but you succeeded.

Nice

lol

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

surprised this name hasn't popped up more with the hernandez situation up in the air ...

i think it's a lot more likely they shift offensive philosophies (again) and use less 2/3-TE sets than they start tebow and/or feature ballard. NE constantly adjusts to fit their personnel ... it's not like they've been running this 2TE offense the entire time Brady's been QB.

2 stud TEs ended up on the roster, they adjusted accordingly. Now 1 could be headed to jail/suspension and the other is a major health concern. The only "established" receiver they have is Amendola, who has his own health concerns and hasn't even played a down with Brady yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users