Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Dynasty Question: Kapernick or Lacy?Is Colin the real deal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Have been offered Colin Kaepernick for Eddie Lacy straight up. PPR, bonus points for explosive plays (3 points for runs over 20 yards, 3 points for completions/receptions over 40 yards.) otherwise, pretty traditional scoring. Took over an orphan team this year and have some very good prospects at RB and WR. Biggest need is an elite QB or QB prospect. Right now I have Freeman and Vick as starters and Weeden as a developmental QB.

I am just having trouble totally buying into Kaepernick as an elite future QB. A big red flag for me was what happened with RGIII. Kap's game potentially exposes him to big hits which is a concern in itself, but say he does get dinged up a little. Is he a good enough pocket passer to maintain fantasy relevance in the event his running game is limited? Also, the 9ers are not the kind of team to air it out and the rarely trail their opponents by any significant amount of points so there is always going to be a ceiling on Kaps production.

On the other side is Eddie Lacy. I was able to pick him up after he slid out of the Top 5 in the rookie draft. I just sort of selected him on impulse after he kind of dropped in my lap, but I am just getting the feeling that he may potentially be a bust (injuries, running style, RBBC situation). Could be a good trade, but I need to get a better feeling about Kap.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#2 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I almost always go with the RB over a QB but my first reaction was that Kaepernick is the clear choice here, especially if QB is a need for you.

#3 Beer Snob

Beer Snob

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

I would take Kaepernick.  Yes, I still have questions about whether or not he's legitimately as good as he appeared, but at least he has some kind of a track record to go by and is on a very good team.  For that reason alone, I'd take Kaepernick rather than gamble on Lacy.
Strippers n' Cheese (12 team league - .5 PPR - Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX, 1 K, 1 DEF)

QB - Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer
RB - DeMarco Murray Andre Ellington, Ray Rice, Jeremy Hill, Andre Williams, Marcel Reece,
WR - A.J. Green, Larry Fitzgerald, DeAndre Hopkins, Cecil Shorts, Denarius Moore
TE - Jordan Cameron, Delanie Walker
FLEX - (Waiting for guidance from the Great Spirit of Moopa-Wompsac each week)
D/ST - Cincinnati Bengals
K - Nick Folk

The Beer Snobs (12 team league - 1PPR - Bonus points for big plays/mile stones -     Rosters require 2 QB, 4 RB, 5 WR/TE, 2 K, 2 DEF   - Start 1 QB, 5 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF.)

QB - Tony Romo, Teddy Bridgewater
RB - Matt Forte, Le'Veon Bell, Pierre Thomas, DeAngelo Williams
WR/TE - Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Jordan Cameron, Cecil Shorts, Jeremy Maclin
D/ST - Cincinnati Bengals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
K - Dan Carpenter, Nick Novak

#4 chiefdog10

chiefdog10

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Typically I would go RB. But GB is never going to be run oriented which will limit Lacy and then there's the fact that Kaep is already better than your other QBs and has some upside. I really hate running QBs for the reasons you listed (injuries mainly) but Vick and/or Freeman could keep you afloat if something were to go wrong. I would do it.

#5 wildabeast49

wildabeast49

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Kaepernick. Bigger than RGII runs a lot safer than RGIII. Lots of question marks around Lacy and you said you need QB in a big way.

#6 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Even with the Crabtree news, I much prefer Kaepernick to Lacy long term.  Can't really knock Kaepernick for injury issues, when Lacy already has issues with his toe that resulted in the team drafted another talented RB just one round later (Jonathan Franklin, who if you don't know who he is, you may want to learn because I honestly feel he could be the better fantasy back of the two, especially in PPR formats).

#7 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 22 May 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Even with the Crabtree news, I much prefer Kaepernick to Lacy long term.  Can't really knock Kaepernick for injury issues, when Lacy already has issues with his toe that resulted in the team drafted another talented RB just one round later (Jonathan Franklin, who if you don't know who he is, you may want to learn because I honestly feel he could be the better fantasy back of the two, especially in PPR formats).
I definitely know who Franklin is, and he was technically taken 2 rounds later, but I get your point and I do not fear Franklin at all. I think he was taken for different reasons because he is essentially the same weight as Dujuan Harris and they reportedly have Frankiln practicing kickoff returns so that is telling as well. Also, I am finding out that Lacy's toe is not really an issue. If you dig a little deeper in your searches there are interviews with the doc who actually performed the surgery. Given that Lacy played the whole season after the surgery without any further issues says a lot.

Now we got Crabs going down so until the 9ers find another go to WR, might have to hold off on this trade.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#8 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

If I were a Lacy owner, I'd be more afraid of Franklin than you are. I could see the touches being divided relatively evenly. And there aren't a ton of carries to go around in Green Bay to begin with.

As far as Lacy's health, there are a lot of conflicting feelings. I've seen that some NFL teams had him completely off of their draft board due to that toe surgery. I saw that same blurb but obviously the doctor isn't going to say that Lacy's toe won't last. For now, though, I guess I'll take the doctor's word for it.

There are at least 3 or 4 rookie backs who I'd prefer over either Packer rookie anyway, so I likely won't be ending up with Lacy regardless. Even with the Crab injury, I think I'd still lean towards Kaepernick.

#9 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 22 May 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

If I were a Lacy owner, I'd be more afraid of Franklin than you are. I could see the touches being divided relatively evenly. And there aren't a ton of carries to go around in Green Bay to begin with.

As far as Lacy's health, there are a lot of conflicting feelings. I've seen that some NFL teams had him completely off of their draft board due to that toe surgery. I saw that same blurb but obviously the doctor isn't going to say that Lacy's toe won't last. For now, though, I guess I'll take the doctor's word for it.

There are at least 3 or 4 rookie backs who I'd prefer over either Packer rookie anyway, so I likely won't be ending up with Lacy regardless. Even with the Crab injury, I think I'd still lean towards Kaepernick.
To be honest, Franklin did concern me. He was actually my target in the draft until Lacy fell in my lap. 3-4 owners immediately PMed me trying to trade up, nothing earthshaking though so I just nabbed Lacy and thought I would try and get Franklin later. Well, Franklin got picked up 2 selections later! The toe thing doesn't scare me. think about it, trust your eyes and common sense. The fused joint is basically the distal joint on the big toe under the nail. Has ZERO effect on the flexion of his toe. He played the entire 2012 season on it and dominated. He never missed a practice.....still, i really like Kaps. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#10 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

View Postpikerbkb, on 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

I do not fear Franklin at all.

Now we got Crabs going down so until the 9ers find another go to WR, might have to hold off on this trade.

View Postpikerbkb, on 23 May 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

To be honest, Franklin did concern me. He was actually my target in the draft until Lacy fell in my lap.

still, i really like Kaps. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger.

Is it just me, or do these posts entirely contradict each other?

#11 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

I hate keeping QBs but in this scenario just too much risk with Lacy.  Kapernick losing crabs does hurt his value some but he is a playmaker.  Keep him.

Help me
http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=349829

#12 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 23 May 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

To be honest, Franklin did concern me. He was actually my target in the draft until Lacy fell in my lap.

It's just you ff. Is it just me, or does that Einstein avatar not fit at all? lol...You ever change your mind on a player based on current events? Franklin DID concern me. Now not so much any more. I still do like his skill set, but recent reports show him 3rd string behind Lacy and Harris and they have him practicing kick offs...if you want to promote yourself as being smart and if you are one of those guys who like to be right all the time, then think a little more before you post and try to slight someone else....Einstein.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#13 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostRob_P, on 26 May 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

I hate keeping QBs but in this scenario just too much risk with Lacy.  Kapernick losing crabs does hurt his value some but he is a playmaker.  Keep him.

Help me
http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=349829

I ended up doing the deal. I was deep enough at running back and wanted to take a shot at Kap becoming the next Cam Newton.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#14 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

View Postpikerbkb, on 27 May 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

It's just you ff. Is it just me, or does that Einstein avatar not fit at all? lol...You ever change your mind on a player based on current events? Franklin DID concern me. Now not so much any more. I still do like his skill set, but recent reports show him 3rd string behind Lacy and Harris and they have him practicing kick offs...if you want to promote yourself as being smart and if you are one of those guys who like to be right all the time, then think a little more before you post and try to slight someone else....Einstein.

I don't know why the personal attack is necessary but if that's what you're here to do, that's fine. It just seemed to me like your tune had changed dramatically in less than 24 hours. In fact, re-reading the posts, it still does, so I guess I am as stupid as you say.

And I missed the part where I claimed to be a genius. Because I have an Einstein avatar? Okay, so I guess you're claiming to be a rich and famous movie star since you have a Brad Pitt avatar.

#15 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 27 May 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I don't know why the personal attack is necessary but if that's what you're here to do, that's fine. It just seemed to me like your tune had changed dramatically in less than 24 hours. In fact, re-reading the posts, it still does, so I guess I am as stupid as you say.

And I missed the part where I claimed to be a genius. Because I have an Einstein avatar? Okay, so I guess you're claiming to be a rich and famous movie star since you have a Brad Pitt avatar.
I love passive aggressive people. They make these very subtle, sarcastic comments and when someone calls them on it they take no accountability for what they said. Buddy, if you are going to insinuate that I contradicted myself, or something confuses you then address me directly."Hey Irish, which is it? You said two completely different things." I'd be glad to respond. Don't pretend to be calling out to the forum in jest "hey everyone, this guy is talking out of both sides of his arse, he's confusing me." To me you come off like a pompous a-hole, especially with your Einstein avatar. And don't pretend like it doesn't mean anything. Obviously you gravitate towards intellectual idols. No problem, that's cool. But if you got a problem with something I post then let's discuss it or debate it like men. I know what I wrote, I know that I changed my mind, so what if I did? People's opinions regarding a player's value can change dramatically with one little piece of news. What is so strange about that?

Obviously, you are not stupid and really I got no problem with you, it just pisses me off when someone tries to belittle me in front of everyone without trying to understand what happened.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#16 MikeF

MikeF

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

View Postpikerbkb, on 27 May 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

View PostSenatorSpaceman, on 27 May 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I love passive aggressive people. They make these very subtle, sarcastic comments and when someone calls them on it they take no accountability for what they said. Buddy, if you are going to insinuate that I contradicted myself, or something confuses you then address me directly."Hey Irish, which is it? You said two completely different things." I'd be glad to respond. Don't pretend to be calling out to the forum in jest "hey everyone, this guy is talking out of both sides of his arse, he's confusing me." To me you come off like a pompous a-hole, especially with your Einstein avatar. And don't pretend like it doesn't mean anything. Obviously you gravitate towards intellectual idols. No problem, that's cool. But if you got a problem with something I post then let's discuss it or debate it like men. I know what I wrote, I know that I changed my mind, so what if I did? People's opinions regarding a player's value can change dramatically with one little piece of news. What is so strange about that?

Obviously, you are not stupid and really I got no problem with you, it just pisses me off when someone tries to belittle me in front of everyone without trying to understand what happened.

I didn't even really notice the post until you mentioned it.  Usually better to leave stuff be if you don't like negative attention in front of people! :)

Good trade for you, congrats.  Definitely a case where it's great to have a QB you can possibly build around for the next 10 years (If your league is still around after all that time) as opposed to an RB who may or may not be the lead guy in 5 months.  Not that Lacy isn't talented but seems an easy choice for Kaepernick.

#17 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

Thanks Mike. I had similar thoughts when I finally did the deal. About the little scuffle I had with Einstein, nobody likes somebody to TRY and call them out and embarrass them, especially when it is done in ignorance. That is the part that fires me up. I did see Franklin as as a serious threat to Lacy, that was one of the reasons I was considering trading him. This trade took a out 10 days to consummate. The part where I apparently changed my mind "overnight" happened after I read an article where GB had Franklin practicing kickoff returns....and that he is behind Harris on the depth chart....and Harris weighs as much as Franklin. So if this makes any sense and I will try to use small words: I thought Franklin was a threat. Now I really don't. So why did I still do the trade then? I want an elite QB prospect on my roster...Lacy seems like he could be injury prone...he might end up splitting carries with Dujuan Harris AND Franklin. So that's pretty much it. At one time I thought Franklin was a threat but in the end not so much....but I could change my mind.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#18 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

And the "small words" part was not meant for you Mike.
Tom Brady
Arian Foster
Stevan Ridley
Eddie Lacy
Zac Stacy
Ben Tate
Da'Dick Rodgers
Josh Gordon
Marcus Wheaton
Nuk
Ladarius Green

Dynasty non-ppr
12 Team
24 player roster
No position limits

#19 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

You better relax with the personal attacks before somebody reports you. What would you do if you couldn't come here and ask people to run your team for you?

Anyway, how does the whole Franklin thing change the way you feel about Kaepernick? One day you say you are holding off on the trade. The next you say you "still" are leaning towards acquiring him. Um, okay. And this is because Lacy's situation IMPROVED??? You're contradicting yourself again. And also, NOW Lacy is injury prone???

Ugh, this was you, correct? "The toe thing doesn't scare me. think about it, trust your eyes and common sense. The fused joint is basically the distal joint on the big toe under the nail. Has ZERO effect on the flexion of his toe"

I think what happened here is that you came on to ask a question and when you discovered that 7/7 people all answered that the choice was Kaepernick in a no-brainer, you felt silly for asking in the first place and now you're lashing out at me. I think you should relax with the personal insults. Call it passive aggression if you must, but that is not allowed here sir. It'd probably be best if your tantrum ceased.

#20 MikeF

MikeF

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

EVERYONE CALM DOWN PLZ THX .. !!!!11