937 replies to this topic

#921 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

I've always thought Bryant was Troy Glaus. When you adjust for era and offensive context that's a pretty damn good player.

If Russell is Larkin 2.0 then yes, he's better than Bryant. I'm not willing to say he's Larkin yet though.

Russell has more power than Larkin but less speed.

Bryant has a better hit tool than Glaus. 

What makes you say that. Curious for your rational...and if you say Milb Batting average. I'm going to ignore you for giving me a lack of depth response. As that is just too cookie cutter. <LOL WTF???> Glaus was in the minors only 1 year and he started out in AA.. Wanna he some solid reasoning for say that.

Yes MiLB batting average is a huge part of it.  No not because it's higher than Glaus' or anything to do with what Glaus did in the minors.  But what Bryant's resume projected into the bigs to me says he will hit for a much higher average than Glaus. I've seen Bryant a lot of him and he is legit.  He is breaking into the league with as much opposite field power as anyone in the game!  

From low A ball and beyond as a 21 and 22 year old Bryant has gone 202 / 614 for a batting average of .329, I'm sorry but it would be foolish to project a player with that type of resume to hit less than .254 (Glaus' career average).

You also want to compare their college careers? Well consider that Bryant matched Glaus in a far more competitive environment against far better pitching on average and he used a BBCOR bat.  Please look up what a BBCOR bat is.  No better yet, go buy a non BBCOR & a BBCOR bat same length and weight and take BP.  You will instantly be able to tell the difference.

Yeah Bryant K's a lot, but that's because he drives the ball like a maniac.  Much like my man Paul Goldschmidt another guy I was all over well before he got any mainstream hype.

Danny Santana hit .319 with a 22.8% K%.

Jose Abreu hit .317 with a 21.1% K%.

J.D. Martinez hit .315 with a 26.3% K%.

Corey Dickerson hit .312 with a 21.1% K%

Paul Goldschmidt hit .300 with a 23% K%.

So while I do expect Bryant to K at a higher frequency than these guys breaking into the big leagues, we are talking 5 young players with higher than normal K rates all who hit over .300 last season.  I don't expect Bryant to hit .300 as a rookie but I could see .280+ even with a 25% - 26% K rate as a rookie.

So what makes you say differently?  You're the one contesting my assessment, so instead of putting me on trial why don't you say why you think the other way?

Also if you have a main point to make, and you use that in your argument I'm going to ignore you for being cookie cutter.  Makes me sound like a total brat to say something so ignorant, doesn't it?

No need to get defensive dude, you a reading into my post all wrong

I was looking for an honest assessment. I though you knew something about his swing/approach that you could share with use that made you believe that was the case. Was looking for information from a poster (yourself) that has shown in the past to break things down beyond the surface stats.

I think just saying Milb BA by himself is lazy. Since it was just 1 year of Glaus Milb numbers to compare and we are talking about projecting a career.  Sure hitters have some control of BABIP..I don't deny that..but in the majors BA can fluctuates a lot from year to year..and I just take Milb BA with a grain of salt. I was looking for you to explain WHY he was having higher BABIPs and is his skill set actually going to translate, or is just being fluffed by inferior pitching and defense?

The Common comp as been Glaus, you made a statement that was different (I.E. he had a better hit tool) I wanted to know why. It was a bit caddy on my part to call Milb BA lazy..but that is my opinion and I was hoping you saw something I wasn't seeing. 

Edited by Slatykamora, 06 January 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#922 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Im just throwing it out there. If he puts up Glaus' steroid numbers not on steroids, I'll be very happy.  Glaus only gets a bad rub because his prime wasn't long and he was lost in the shuffle of the most roided up era ever.

• 96mnc likes this

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#923 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

I say he will put up Jeromy Bernitz numbers.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#924 Ben Edelman

Ben Edelman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

112 career OPS+ with 315 HR and a career WAR of 20 was pretty solid.  Burnitz would have easily hit 400 career HR if he had gotten a full-time gig at age 23 or 24 rather than only at age 28.

In fact, Burnitz and Glaus have extremely similar career offensive numbers.  Glaus was better because of his positional value.

If the Cubs can get that out of a 3B, they should be at least modestly pleased.  I think Bryant has a bit more raw power, but still, Burnitz is a solid low-end comp.

• 2ndCitySox likes this

Since 1995: 12-team 4x4 Roto auction keeper, NL-only. Likely keepers:
C: Mesoraco, xx
1/3: Lamb, Rendon, xx
2/S: Tulo, Alcantara, Segura
O/U: Yelich, Harper, xx, xx, xx, xx
SP: Morton, xx, xx, xx
RP: Rondon, Mejia, xx
Min: Bryant, JP Crawford, Piscotty

#925 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

112 career OPS+ with 315 HR and a career WAR of 20 was pretty solid.  Burnitz would have easily hit 400 career HR if he had gotten a full-time gig at age 23 or 24 rather than only at age 28.

In fact, Burnitz and Glaus have extremely similar career offensive numbers.  Glaus was better because of his positional value.

If the Cubs can get that out of a 3B, they should be at least modestly pleased.  I think Bryant has a bit more raw power, but still, Burnitz is a solid low-end comp.

Yeah I picked him because per baseball-reference.com he was the number comp to Glaus. :) I was throwing another name out there.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#926 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:38 AM

Yeah I picked him because per baseball-reference.com he was the number comp to Glaus. :) I was throwing another name out there.

I had no idea that BR had Glaus as a numbers comp for Bryant. My comp was based on watching them both in college a bit.

#927 og_croc

og_croc

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:bucket hats and sports

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

We all remember last summer's anticipation for him to be called up, which never ended up happening. The good news is he's 23 years old, arguably the first or second top prospect, and is part of a shallow Cubs team as of right now to nab that starting 3B spot by opening day.

Here were his insane stats from his season last year in the minors between AA and AAA:

.325 AVG, 43 HR, 110 RBI, 118 R, 15 SB, 1.098 OPS, with 162 K in 138 games

What should people expect in his first season in the bigs?

I don't think it would be quite outlandish to say he makes the opening day roster and post numbers like .285, 30 HR, 80 RBI, 70 R, 10 SB, .900 OPS, but probably with 175 K. He should immediately enter the rookie of the year conversation, and if he does have a good year this year, I would expect great things for the 2nd overall draft pick. 

Let the raking begin.

straight outta neverland

#928 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

I hope he makes the opening day roster or at least gets called up after a quick 3 - 4 week stint in the minors.  But we'll see what happens there.  

He has to be the favorite for NL Rookie of The Year.  By a wide margin too.

Let's see if the mods allow this thread to even stay.  As technically Bryant is a minor leaguer right now.

"Choosing between stats and scouting is like choosing between beer and tacos. In other words, its a choice nobody should have to make, since both are great and are perhaps even better when consumed together."

Leading The War against WAR, because somebody has to!

#929 swfcdan

swfcdan

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

The powers totally legit but with that K rate theres no way he produces a decent average right off the bat. Something like .250 would be expected id say. But remember rookies are rookies and therefore meant to struggle initially at the big league level. Predicting 30 homers is bonkers, rookies just dont manage that noawadays. Over 20 bombs would be a solid rookie season.

• SoundMaster likes this

#930 becauseimhappy

becauseimhappy

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Over under at 12

#931 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

The powers totally legit but with that K rate theres no way he produces a decent average right off the bat. Something like .250 would be expected id say. But remember rookies are rookies and therefore meant to struggle initially at the big league level. Predicting 30 homers is bonkers, rookies just dont manage that noawadays. Over 20 bombs would be a solid rookie season.

this, exactly.

That ML K rate was insane.   

#932 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Between him a Baez the Cubs could have 400K's in that lineup

#933 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,993 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Shouldn't this be in the MILB section?

I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#934 Koufax Machine

Koufax Machine

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

A good read on Bryant from today.

http://bleacherrepor...-phenom-in-2015

I'm buying.

#935 Koufax Machine

Koufax Machine

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

I'm sure the mods will move this.

Saw this today, a good read on Bryant.

#936 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

A good read on Bryant from today.

I'm buying.

They really did list BABIP as one of his 4 core skills. Gotta love the Bleacher Report...

• 2ndCitySox likes this
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#937 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

Does anyone have insight into his SB prowess? He had 15 steals in 138 minor league games. Everyone wants to talk about the power and contact rate, but those are much harder to predict than how fast he is. Also not sure on how Maddon's philosophy has been with young guys stealing bases early. If he is going to be Goldschmidt like in stealing his 10-15 bases each year, that adds a decent amount of value.

A .260/30 line starts to become really attractive when its .260/30/15.

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#938 deuce4off

deuce4off

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(01/19/15) Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said Monday the trade of third baseman Luis Valbuena to Houston and third-base prospect Kris Bryant's roster situation are "totally independent" of each other.

Hoyer added Mike OltTommy La Stella and Arismendy Alcantara could play at third base until Chicago feels Bryant is ready for the majors.

"We are not going to speed up that clock," Hoyer said, per ESPN.

I couldn't care less about your teams

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users