#1182 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Cubs on espn tonight. Bryant supposed to be in LF for the game

Really starting to think that if Bryant shows well in LF the next couple of weeks that he breaks camp as the starting left fielder.  Means for the future Schwarber has got to stick at catcher.

2015 lineup (in no particular order)

CF - Fowler

LF - Bryant

RF - Soler

1B - Rizzo

2B - Alcantara/LaStella (maybe Baez?)

SS - Castro

3B - Olt/Alcantara/LaStella 

C - Montero

Future

CF - Alcantara/Almora

LF - Bryant

RF - Soler

1B - Rizzo

2B - Alcantara/LaStella (maybe Baez?)

SS - Russell

3B - Castro 

C - Schwarber

#1183 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:49 AM

I listened to yesterday's Baseball HQ podcast and they had Rob Gordon on, who's their minor league analyst.

For what it's worth he said Bryant wasn't a good defender at 3rd, but hardly bad. Said he wasn't "Miggy at 3rd bad", he was "decent".  I don't personally know, just stating what I heard.  He has 3b eligibility this year, I'm guessing there's a good chance he wont have it the year after or long term.

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#1184 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

The way the Baez is going the Cubs might want to give Bryant a nice lengthy tryout at 3B so they could slot Russel or Castro at 2nd so LF opens up for Schwarber.

So many hypotheticals with the potential options...

I don't know that one start in the OF changes his plans at 3b.

Edited by tucker26, 26 March 2015 - 11:58 AM.

"If the gods are always watching, we might as well put on a good show."

- Hundred Eyes

#1185 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

I personally think it's going to take Baez quite a while to figure it out, if ever.

#1186 IlliniGuy76

IlliniGuy76

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

Again...

You're

The way the Baez is going the Cubs might want to give Bryant a nice lengthy tryout at 3B so they could slot Russel or Castro at 2nd so LF opens up for Schwarber.

Not sure if I said this in this thread or another...

Don't assume the Cubs will keep all of:  Almora, Baez, Soler, Schwarber, Russell, Bryant, Castro etc.

Harry Caray, 1984 Cubs locker room celebration, "And here we are! I hope we get loaded tonight!"
10 team, Roto, Standard scoring

- Draft happening on 4/3

10 team, H2H, keeper league, keep 6

Keepers due: Wed, 3/25

Cutch, Betts, Tulo, Soler, Votto, Carpenter, Kemp, Harrison, Kluber, Jose Fernandez

#1187 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

Again...

You're

Don't assume the Cubs will keep all of:  Almora, Baez, Soler, Schwarber, Russell, Bryant, Castro etc.

In my hypo above they traded Almora/Baez...Alacantara sticks as the super utility as Maddon has Cubs resign OBP machine Fowler. 

The Cubs have yet to show their intentions on cashing on this glutton of prospects. Next year would be a the year to make a move like that so they can see how things shake out this year. 

Definitely a possibility if they are competing this year too. Trade deadline, send the Reds a Baez package for Cueto. 

After all they are 12/1 odds to win the WS (don't do it Cub fans!)

- Hundred Eyes

#1188 IlliniGuy76

IlliniGuy76

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

Again...

You're

In my hypo above they traded Almora/Baez...Alacantara sticks as the super utility as Maddon has Cubs resign OBP machine Fowler. 

The Cubs have yet to show their intentions on cashing on this glutton of prospects. Next year would be a the year to make a move like that so they can see how things shake out this year. 

Definitely a possibility if they are competing this year too. Trade deadline, send the Reds a Baez package for Cueto. 

There's really not been a reason to.  Stockpile as much talent as you can and let it shake out.  If they are remotely in the race come trade season, I have no doubts they'd consider being shoppers.

Harry Caray, 1984 Cubs locker room celebration, "And here we are! I hope we get loaded tonight!"
10 team, Roto, Standard scoring

- Draft happening on 4/3

10 team, H2H, keeper league, keep 6

Keepers due: Wed, 3/25

Cutch, Betts, Tulo, Soler, Votto, Carpenter, Kemp, Harrison, Kluber, Jose Fernandez

#1189 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

Are the Reds trading a top 10 pitcher for a guy who strikesout 30+% of the time.  I dont think so.

#1190 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

Are the Reds trading a top 10 pitcher for a guy who strikesout 30+% of the time.  I dont think so.

I did say package. Maybe it's best not to call it a Baez package. He could still improve his stock if he goes down and goes buck wild for a half of season in AAA.

- Hundred Eyes

#1191 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

I did say package. Maybe it's best not to call it a Baez package. He could still improve his stock if he goes down and goes buck wild for a half of season in AAA.

Agreed. Plus, Cueto is a free agent so get something if you're not resigning him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Baez goes down to AAA, struggles for a month or two while incorporating swing changes, and then explodes the latter half of this year. Selfishly, I'm hoping this happens so I can buy low in late May in keeper leagues.

#1192 Silver Slugger

Silver Slugger

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

Again...

You're

I think the 12-1 is the Vegas line. That doesn't necessarily mean that vegas gives them those odds to win, they just want to entice gambling. I guess?

At any rate, this thread has derailed. There's a ton if possible outcomes with this season for the Cubs, which makes them very interesting. They could be crap, they could win it all. If the young guys take the next step, arietta continues last year, and Lester is an ace or near ace, then they will absolutely trade a position player for an SP that can make them a force in the playoffs. If they stumble and don't recover, they can call up guys and figure out what they have. It's going to be a fun year to watch them, regardless of the outcome.

#1193 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:25 AM

Cubs on espn tonight. Bryant supposed to be in LF for the game

Really starting to think that if Bryant shows well in LF the next couple of weeks that he breaks camp as the starting left fielder.  Means for the future Schwarber has got to stick at catcher.

2015 lineup (in no particular order)

CF - Fowler

LF - Bryant

RF - Soler

1B - Rizzo

2B - Alcantara/LaStella (maybe Baez?)

SS - Castro

3B - Olt/Alcantara/LaStella 

C - Montero

Future

CF - Alcantara/Almora

LF - Bryant

RF - Soler

1B - Rizzo

2B - Alcantara/LaStella (maybe Baez?)

SS - Russell

3B - Castro 

C - Schwarber

More so it means The Cubs are going to give him a pretty long leash in trying to develop him as a catcher... But ultimately his glove is going to decide that.

"Choosing between stats and scouting is like choosing between beer and tacos. In other words, its a choice nobody should have to make, since both are great and are perhaps even better when consumed together."

Leading The War against WAR, because somebody has to!

#1194 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,513 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Again...

You're

I think the 12-1 is the Vegas line. That doesn't necessarily mean that vegas gives them those odds to win, they just want to entice gambling. I guess?

At any rate, this thread has derailed. There's a ton if possible outcomes with this season for the Cubs, which makes them very interesting. They could be crap, they could win it all. If the young guys take the next step, arietta continues last year, and Lester is an ace or near ace, then they will absolutely trade a position player for an SP that can make them a force in the playoffs. If they stumble and don't recover, they can call up guys and figure out what they have. It's going to be a fun year to watch them, regardless of the outcome.

The Vegas odds are a joke.  They are just taking advantage of Cubs hypes.  No reason the Cubs are 12/1 while The White Sox are 20/1... Save your money and wait to bet The Cubs next year and for sure in 2017.  The odds will be smaller but the actuality of it happening will be realistic.  

"Choosing between stats and scouting is like choosing between beer and tacos. In other words, its a choice nobody should have to make, since both are great and are perhaps even better when consumed together."

Leading The War against WAR, because somebody has to!

#1195 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,749 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

The Vegas odds are a joke.  They are just taking advantage of Cubs hypes.  No reason the Cubs are 12/1 while The White Sox are 20/1... Save your money and wait to bet The Cubs next year and for sure in 2017.  The odds will be smaller but the actuality of it happening will be realistic.  

Believe it or not, I actually "may have , if I bet" last night and parlayed the Cubs and Brock Lesnar last night. 20:1 on the Cubs part.

#1196 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,083 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Those odds are influenced by liability. The joke is people betting them down to that number,  the true odds are obviously much higher.  Kris Bryant odds to win the HR title are the same, opened at 75-1 and down to 15-1.

#1197 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,951 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Agreed. Plus, Cueto is a free agent so get something if you're not resigning him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Baez goes down to AAA, struggles for a month or two while incorporating swing changes, and then explodes the latter half of this year. Selfishly, I'm hoping this happens so I can buy low in late May in keeper leagues.

The problem with Mid-season trades now

The team that is trading away the free-agent to be is passing up the 1st round comp pick...but the team getting him does not get the 1st round comp pick..only the rental player..

It can make it a bit more difficult to come to terms on a trade because if the Reds are out of it. They still have zero reason to accept any trade unless they are getting compensation that is worth Cueto's talents AND what a comp pick is worth..  They may be more inclined to trade Cueto for an solid Major leaguer that has 1 more year of control (ALA the Lester trade last year)

Edited by Slatykamora, Yesterday, 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users