431 replies to this topic

#1 SecondString

SecondString

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

No thread for this guy yet, but he could be intriguing for this season.  He will start the season as the #2 behind Mathews, who will inevitably get hurt, just a question of how soon and how much time he will miss.  Ronnie Brown is there too, but will only be a third down option.  I believe if Woodhead does well, he could pretty much squeeze Brown out of the picture.  And if/when the glass man Mathews goes down, he could end up being a very nice sleeper pick.... definitely worth a shot on the bench.

#2 dabeesta17

dabeesta17

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

A product of the New England offense...nothing more. He's no better than a 10th round pick and I'd rather have a top 5 defense in that spot or a top-flight QB2. The running lanes won't be near as big, and even if Mathews goes down, Woodhead is not a 15-20 carry/game guy. I'll pass.
16-team keeper league (keepers in italics), long TD bonus, yardage bonuses, 5 rec = 1pt, 10 rec = 5 pts

#3 SecondString

SecondString

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postdabeesta17, on 10 June 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

A product of the New England offense...nothing more. He's no better than a 10th round pick and I'd rather have a top 5 defense in that spot or a top-flight QB2. The running lanes won't be near as big, and even if Mathews goes down, Woodhead is not a 15-20 carry/game guy. I'll pass.

I hear you, but can't help but thinking that with the RB options on that squad, he could end up being quite busy.  And I think you're under-estimating the talent, he's not bad.

#4 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I think when Matthews goes down it will turn into a full blown RBBC. Could easily see Le'Ron Mcclain stealing all the short yardage and goalline too like he did in Baltimore.

#5 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

PPR Sleeper?

When the Chargers selected Ryan Mathews in the first round, they thought he was a three-down feature back. Unfortunately for them, Mathews never developed his pass-blocking, and remains an unreliable two-down rusher. Woodhead is a much more accomplished blocker, and is expected to handle most third downs and two-minute drill situations. He's in line for a big role this season.

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter
Jun 12 - 8:25 PM
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#6 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostDocJ, on 12 June 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

PPR Sleeper?

When the Chargers selected Ryan Mathews in the first round, they thought he was a three-down feature back. Unfortunately for them, Mathews never developed his pass-blocking, and remains an unreliable two-down rusher. Woodhead is a much more accomplished blocker, and is expected to handle most third downs and two-minute drill situations. He's in line for a big role this season.

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter
Jun 12 - 8:25 PM

In full PPR leagues I would take a late flier on him, he could be a useful weekly flex in deeper leagues.
$$$ Keeper League - 12 Team 0.5 PPR, All TD's = 6 points
(11-2) Regular Season - 1st Place, Playoff Runner Up
QB: N. Foles
RB: E. Lacy, R. Bush, G. Bernard, S. Vereen, A. Brown, (L. Murray)
WR: C. Johnson, M. Wallace, J. Nelson, P. Harvin, J. Blackmon
TE: J. Graham, D. Pitta, (R. Gronkowski)

#7 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

I plan to target him in full ppr leagues as well. I definitely don't think it's out of hte question for him to rack up ~5 targets a game.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#8 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Rivers throws to his RBs a lot.

Ronnie Brown caught 49 passes last year.

Woodhead is going to be cheap and could potentially be a pretty decent flex in a deeper 1ppr league. Possibly more if/when Matthews get's a hang-nail.
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#9 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Danny Woodhead runs a 4.3 40 time.  Eff the haters, see you on my team Danny.

#10 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Word is that Chargers will be giving Willis McGahee a call to see if he wants to come back to play with Mike McCoy, not exactly taking Woodhead's pass catcher role, but definitely hurts the potential Woodhead had to get significant rushing looks when Matthews gets hurt.

#11 Deadpool

Deadpool

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Word is that Chargers will be giving Willis McGahee a call to see if he wants to come back to play with Mike McCoy, not exactly taking Woodhead's pass catcher role, but definitely hurts the potential Woodhead had to get significant rushing looks when Matthews gets hurt.

McGahee to the Chargers makes too much sense not to happen.  He would be Mathews direct handcuff.

I don't think Woodhead would have gotten significant rushing looks anyway if Mathews were to go down, he's not built for that.  He's perfect in a 3rd down, passing down, 2 minute drill role tho.
$$$ Keeper League - 12 Team 0.5 PPR, All TD's = 6 points
(11-2) Regular Season - 1st Place, Playoff Runner Up
QB: N. Foles
RB: E. Lacy, R. Bush, G. Bernard, S. Vereen, A. Brown, (L. Murray)
WR: C. Johnson, M. Wallace, J. Nelson, P. Harvin, J. Blackmon
TE: J. Graham, D. Pitta, (R. Gronkowski)

#12 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostDeadpool, on 13 June 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

McGahee to the Chargers makes too much sense not to happen.  He would be Mathews direct handcuff.

I don't think Woodhead would have gotten significant rushing looks anyway if Mathews were to go down, he's not built for that.  He's perfect in a 3rd down, passing down, 2 minute drill role tho.

Yep, woulda been RBBC like I said before. I think this hurts Ronnie Brown more than anyone else, he probably gets released if Mcgahee signs. No one except the Patriots is keeping 4 tailbacks that don't play special teams.

#13 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postbdams19, on 13 June 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

No, he does not.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#14 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

If Woodhead can actually help your team, your team isn't good enough for it to matter.

#15 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Postpetekrum, on 14 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

No, he does not.

I've read about 3 threads so far today and you've been trolling in all of them.  

From wikipedia:

Pre-draft

Woodhead did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine so he had to use his pro day to show his abilities. According to a report on NFLDraftWatch.net, he ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.33 to 4.38 seconds which would have been the second-fastest among all running backs at the NFL Combine in March 2008. He posted the best pro-agility time of 4.03 seconds, the second-best vertical jump (38½ inches) and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2 seconds). He also bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times.[5]

#16 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

View Postbdams19, on 14 June 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postpetekrum, on 14 June 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

No, he does not.

I've read about 3 threads so far today and you've been trolling in all of them.  

From wikipedia:

Pre-draft

Woodhead did not receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine so he had to use his pro day to show his abilities. According to a report on NFLDraftWatch.net, he ran the 40-yard dash in times of 4.33 to 4.38 seconds which would have been the second-fastest among all running backs at the NFL Combine in March 2008. He posted the best pro-agility time of 4.03 seconds, the second-best vertical jump (38½ inches) and the best 60-yard shuttle time (11.2 seconds). He also bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times.[5]

I don't care what it says. The list of players who run a4.3  40 is very short and Woodhead ain't on it.

#17 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Pro day numbers are always better than combine ones, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

#18 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostPrea, on 14 June 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Pro day numbers are always better than combine ones, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Exactly. Anyone who has ever watched him play can see he doesn't have that kind of speed.

#19 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postpetekrum, on 14 June 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Exactly. Anyone who has ever watched him play can see he doesn't have that kind of speed.

Ok, I will use statistics and you can use your false observations to judge a guy with a career 4.8 yards per carry and 10+ yards per reception.  Good riddance.

#20 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postbdams19, on 14 June 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

View Postpetekrum, on 14 June 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Ok, I will use statistics and you can use your false observations to judge a guy with a career 4.8 yards per carry and 10+ yards per reception.  Good riddance.

Pro day numbers are not concrete statistics (at least with the timed stuff). I wouldn't even 100% believe combine numbers that are timed. Not to mention combine numbers don't really mean anything about how they are as a football player.

Darren Sproles has a career average of 5.1 yards, doesn't mean he should be an every down RB. Ronnie Brown had a 4.8 average last year, doesn't mean much. Also averaging 70 carries a year isn't going to give the same results as being an 2/3 down back getting 200+ carries in a year. The guy is a good change of pace RB and 3rd down back, don't think he's much more than that though.

Edited by Prea, 14 June 2013 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users