Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Joseph Randle 2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
147 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Should be safe to say that he is Murray's clear backup. A lot of scouts like him but aren't amazed by him. What do you guys expect from him this year knowing that Murray will get hurt at some point.

Where should he be draft? Is he regular handcuff territory or is he somewhere between that and Ben Tate territory.

#2 TrigPyramid

TrigPyramid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

anybody drafting Murray would be wise to also draft Randle in the later rounds

12 Team H2H
Mike Conley, Isaiah Thomas

Eric Bledsoe, Danny Green

Carmelo Anthony, Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, Wilson Chandler

LeMarcus Aldridge, Ryan Anderson

Marcin Gortat

#3 maxhyde

maxhyde

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Somewhere in between like you said.
I don't think he is any better than the other guys the cowboys have backing up Murray but because he has been "handed" the job it makes sesne to pick him up if you can. I would not reach for him though rather take him as a final pick. If someone else grabs him let them have him.
I will not be making very much effort to trade for him to have him as a hc for Murray in my leagues. A guy like Woodhead has more value in my opinion.

#4 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Should be safe to say that he is Murray's clear backup. A lot of scouts like him but aren't amazed by him. What do you guys expect from him this year knowing that Murray will get hurt at some point.

Where should he be draft? Is he regular handcuff territory or is he somewhere between that and Ben Tate territory.

I picked him up in the mid 3rd in one of my dynasty leagues. It's hard to tell what to make of him since his straight line speed is pedestrian. On the plus side, he does have a great work ethic, exceptional lateral movement and never missed a game in college. He is also still developing physically. He put on about 15-20 lbs. since his freshman year at OKST. He's also had a tremendous amount of success and production in college, which could carry over into the pros. HC? Just depends on where he can be draft/value.

(12:56) T.Richardson up the middle to 50 for -5 yards (W.Mercilus). :)  :)  :) 

#5 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

What do you guys expect from him this year knowing that Murray will get hurt at some point.

Obviously Murray has appeared "injury prone" so far and he has yet to show the ability to stay on the field for a complete season but it's not a absolute shoe-in that he goes down this year. There are plenty of guys who we have just assumed would get injured every year who end up surprising us (Matt Stafford for example- 13 games played in his first two seasons, 32 games played in his last two). The smart money might be on Murray missing time, but it's not a lock.

That said, Murray is a risk and cautious owners with room to carry Randle can use a later round pick on him as insurance. Otherwise, I don't see much re-draft value for Randle in 2013. There just isn't enough opportunities in the current Dallas offense for multiple backs to be relevant. In 2012, Dallas ranked 31st in rush attempts, 31st in rushing yards, and 27th in rush TDs.

I do like his value in dynasty settings, though, especially if you can land him in the 2nd round of rookie drafts.

#6 BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

I know it's early, but I've been very far from impressed. Guy looks extremely ordinary to me. He's not big enough to move guys, doesn't seem terribly fast, and in watching him he just doesn't strike you as being overly quick/shifty either. I own him in my dynasty league so hopefully I'm wrong.

#7 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

I know it's early, but I've been very far from impressed. Guy looks extremely ordinary to me.

Agree. Perhaps he's still getting his feet wet but if you can't separate yourself from the Dunbars and Tanners of the world, you might have bust written all over you.

#8 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I know it's early, but I've been very far from impressed. Guy looks extremely ordinary to me. He's not big enough to move guys, doesn't seem terribly fast, and in watching him he just doesn't strike you as being overly quick/shifty either. I own him in my dynasty league so hopefully I'm wrong.

I own him in one league too and I am hoping you are wrong. He has a big frame so he can still put on some weight, hopefully without losing burst, cause you're right, he doesn't have much to spare. He does seem to have good lateral agility, instincts and vision. He is definitely not the type of runner to make it happen all on his own, at least not consistently.

I think his main attribute is his nose for the goal line. Close in, he just seems to have a knack for breaking the plane no matter what and so far it looks like Garrett/Jerra likes to use him in that situation. He may never be elite, but I think in the Cowboys system he can still start, and can be a reliable, productive back at best and a situational back at worst.

#9 bootyclause

bootyclause

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

cant see what makes him the clear backup other than being kind of a well known college player. He came into the game as the 4th RB this week, late in the 3rd quarter. Last week he came in after Dunbar and Tanner as well. Just a 5th round pick.

The fantasy community seems way off base on this one.

If anything the backup Dallas situation is undraftable in 10-12 teamers, even if you have Murray.

#10 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

cant see what makes him the clear backup other than being kind of a well known college player. He came into the game as the 4th RB this week, late in the 3rd quarter. Last week he came in after Dunbar and Tanner as well. Just a 5th round pick.

The fantasy community seems way off base on this one.

If anything the backup Dallas situation is undraftable in 10-12 teamers, even if you have Murray.

You have to think like Jerra to understand why Randle would be the back to own as a handcuff. If it is close when the regular season starts, they will insert Randle as Murray's second. JJ drafts and starts as much local product as he can, to a fault actually. Randle is from OKST, T. Boone Pickens, biggest donor to OKST, is Jerry's buddy. Randle will get every chance to play and take over the RB2 slot. Dunbar is from N. Texas U, but too small. Nobody cares about Tanner.

Only question to be answered is if Randle can improve in the preseason to where the competition is close and ultimately, can he play and produce at the pro level. 5th round pick is skewed because the trend now is for RBs to be drafted later. Keep playing checkers LO.

#11 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

cant see what makes him the clear backup other than being kind of a well known college player.

X2 for Ball and Bernard, to a lesser extent. They will potentially at least be relevant. Randle will not be. But the fantasy community gets so bent out of shape about these college players that have never taken an NFL carry.

They know that Hillman is nothing great. They think BJGE is worthless because he is a "plodder" without that over-valued attribute of HR ability. So they get so blindly enthusiastic about literally anybody new coming to town.

Anybody using a draft pick on Randle this year, as it looks now, is wasting a selection.

#12 El_Chingon

El_Chingon

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

cant see what makes him the clear backup other than being kind of a well known college player.

X2 for Ball and Bernard, to a lesser extent. They will potentially at least be relevant. Randle will not be. But the fantasy community gets so bent out of shape about these college players that have never taken an NFL carry.

They know that Hillman is nothing great. They think BJGE is worthless because he is a "plodder" without that over-valued attribute of HR ability. So they get so blindly enthusiastic about literally anybody new coming to town.

Anybody using a draft pick on Randle this year, as it looks now, is wasting a selection.

Anyone playing behind murray will eventually be relevant. Question is do you want him cheap now when he's worthless, or blow a high waiver claim or FAAB when Murray goes down?

#13 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:50 AM

Anyone playing behind murray will eventually be relevant. Question is do you want him cheap now when he's worthless, or blow a high waiver claim or FAAB when Murray goes down?

If he were the clear handcuff, it'd be one thing. But he's not. That's what we're saying. Also, yes, Murray has had trouble staying healthy but there is no absolute promise that he gets injured this season.

#14 pikerbkb

pikerbkb

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

Who is the "fantasy community" you guys keep talking about? I think most of us are not sold on Randle at all based on his preseason work, but he was out with an injury all of OTAs. He is struggling a bit right now, but you have to see the logic that JJ didn't draft this guy to fail and Dunbar and Tanner have not done anything spectacular. There's a couple more weeks here in preseason. Even though Dunbar's had a nice camp, nobody except a couple of writer's have given him the RB2 job. If Randle just gets on par with the other backs Jerry will get him into the line up because that's who the fans want to see, the local OKST star. That's how JJ's mind works.

#15 Flschbrger

Flschbrger

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

I drafted him in my dynasty PPR league because I thought he had the best hands of the entire draft class. I'm not sold on his inbetween the tackles ability, but if DeMarco were ever to get hurt and they went to a 2 RB system with him and let's say Tanner/Dunbar, I could see him catching 50 passes in a full season. His catching ability was above and beyond anyone else in this rookie class, so I'm just curious to see if they use it.
DYNASTY LEAGUE
10 team, 2 qb, 3WR, 2 RB, FLEX, .5 ppr, 5 pt passing td, 6 pts rush/rec tds (5 qb roster max)

QB - Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Matt McGloin
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz, Reggie Wayne, Rashard Matthews, Marvin Jones, Nate Burleson, Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Mike Williams
RB - McCoy, Lynch, Chris Ivory, Christine Michael
TE - Julius Thomas, Kyle Rudolph

#16 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,928 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Who is the "fantasy community" you guys keep talking about? I think most of us are not sold on Randle at all

Check out where some of the major fantasy outlets have him ranked. I realize that these rankings are often crap, but they have a huge influence on general perception of fantasy value. According to most sites, Randle is a must-own in ten team formats.

#17 Drake44444

Drake44444

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Rotoworld claiming he is the handcuff for Demarco. True?

#18 Drake44444

Drake44444

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Time to pick him up? Or Tanner or Dunbar?

#19 CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

none of the above

#20 BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

I know I mentioned it earlier in the preseason, but this guy just doesn't pass the eye test for me. Looks very ordinary. Obviously if Murray's out multiple weeks he's worth an add, but I just haven't seen anything out of him that leads me to believe he'll really produce.