Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Rafael Montero SP NYM


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.
2013 CHAMP!- Field of Dreams (10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)


2014:
C-J.Castro
1B-F.Freeman
2B-A.Hill, K.Johnson (3B/OF)
3B- N.Castellanos (OF), N.Arenado
SS- X.Bogaerts(3B), E.Cabrera
OF-A.McCutchen, A.Jones, Y.Puig, A.Craig (1B), K.Davis. E.Bonifacio (2B/3B)

SP-Y.Darvish, G.Cole, J.Shields, H.Ryu, AJ Burnett, M.Estrada,
J.Lackey, D.Gee, J.Kelly, D.Hutchison, T.Jordan, J.Mejia

DL: C.Hamels, H.Iwakuma, M.Harrison, J.Profar (2B/SS/3B), M.Machado

N/A: N.Syndergaard

Let's go, Mets!

#22 96mnc

96mnc

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 07 March 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Montero looks impressive again. Cardinals had a good lineup in today and they scorched Dice-k/Lannan. Montero came in and threw 2 shutout innings.

Second time I've seen him this spring and he once again looked solid.  Darling compared him to Teheran.  I wouldn't go that far as I think Teheran's stuff is a tick better but Montero's command and poise give him an edge there.  Great dynasty league buy.

For prospect junkies that game also had Taveras, Wong, Matz, and Alex Reyes appearing in it.  It was a lot of fun to watch.

#23 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 10 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.

If Dice K and Lannan continue to get pounded and Montero keeps doing great I'd think its possible. I think they want to keep him in minors until Super 2, though. And he didn't exactly dominate AAA, but he has looked like a successful MLB pitcher since the beginning of last season.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#24 96mnc

96mnc

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 10 March 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 10 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.

If Dice K and Lannan continue to get pounded and Montero keeps doing great I'd think its possible. I think they want to keep him in minors until Super 2, though. And he didn't exactly dominate AAA, but he has looked like a successful MLB pitcher since the beginning of last season.

I'd agree with this assessment.

I think he'd outpitch Dice and Lannan right now but I do think the Mets will exercise patience and allow him to get more minor league seasoning.

One other concern for the Mets young pitchers is their infield defense up the middle.  Tejada looks like crap and Flores at  2b is showing growing pains (let alone at SS).

#25 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

View Post96mnc, on 10 March 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostSidearmer, on 10 March 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 10 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.

If Dice K and Lannan continue to get pounded and Montero keeps doing great I'd think its possible. I think they want to keep him in minors until Super 2, though. And he didn't exactly dominate AAA, but he has looked like a successful MLB pitcher since the beginning of last season.

I'd agree with this assessment.

I think he'd outpitch Dice and Lannan right now but I do think the Mets will exercise patience and allow him to get more minor league seasoning.

One other concern for the Mets young pitchers is their infield defense up the middle.  Tejada looks like crap and Flores at  2b is showing growing pains (let alone at SS).

Well Murphy will be the regular 2B and he is right around average imo. Tejeda is usually plus defense but his offense is getting into his head mentally so his defense has gone down. That being said, SS looks like a big weakness. But keep in mind they have a golf glover at 3B in Wright, and potentially Ike is a plus defender, Duda/Satin not so much.

But also the OF will be elite. Lagaresis elite, Chris Young is very good, Granderson is very good. EY Jr. has a lot of range. d'Arnaud is plus at catcher.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#26 96mnc

96mnc

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 10 March 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

View Post96mnc, on 10 March 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostSidearmer, on 10 March 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 10 March 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Early on in ST, Collins said Dice/Lannan had the upper hand...is this kid really a true candidate for the 5th spot? I am a huge Mets fan and hadn't heard much serious consideration for him until just now on the SNY opening of their ST game today.

If Dice K and Lannan continue to get pounded and Montero keeps doing great I'd think its possible. I think they want to keep him in minors until Super 2, though. And he didn't exactly dominate AAA, but he has looked like a successful MLB pitcher since the beginning of last season.

I'd agree with this assessment.

I think he'd outpitch Dice and Lannan right now but I do think the Mets will exercise patience and allow him to get more minor league seasoning.

One other concern for the Mets young pitchers is their infield defense up the middle.  Tejada looks like crap and Flores at  2b is showing growing pains (let alone at SS).

Well Murphy will be the regular 2B and he is right around average imo. Tejeda is usually plus defense but his offense is getting into his head mentally so his defense has gone down. That being said, SS looks like a big weakness. But keep in mind they have a golf glover at 3B in Wright, and potentially Ike is a plus defender, Duda/Satin not so much.

But also the OF will be elite. Lagaresis elite, Chris Young is very good, Granderson is very good. EY Jr. has a lot of range. d'Arnaud is plus at catcher.

As a Colon owner I made sure I watched the Mets game yesterday.  Totally agree with your comment on Tejada.  He looked like he was carrying the weight of the world with him on the field.  He also had another error.  It'll be interesting to see if/when Flores gets some playing time at SS.

Edited by 96mnc, 11 March 2014 - 02:50 PM.


#27 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Not really what I wanted to hear at this point...obviously anything can change with nothing being set in stone today...

Lannan has never made a major league relief appearance. He’s held left-handed hitters to a .267 average in his seven-year career, which isn’t great. The Mets have some flexibility with him, since he cannot opt out of his minor league contract until June (Rubin, Jan. 30). That could allow the team extra time to work Lannan in relief at Triple-A to see how he’ll transition in to the role. Of course, this wouldn’t help the short-term, Opening Day roster situation.
At the same time, if Lannan is a reliever, the race for the last rotation spot will likely come down to Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jenrry Mejia. Early in the offseason, it sounded as though the preference was to give Mejia the job if he was healthy at the end of camp. However, Terry Collins recently suggested his preference is for a veteran to win the spot, which could result in Mejia starting the year in the rotation at Triple-A. It doesn’t sound like the organization views Mejia as a reliever anymore, and that’s good news considering how much he’s been jerked around over the years.
The Mets should choose the best option for each role and not deliberately handicap themselves because they fear losing somebody on waivers. If players aren’t performing, they shouldn’t be on the roster.
2013 CHAMP!- Field of Dreams (10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)


2014:
C-J.Castro
1B-F.Freeman
2B-A.Hill, K.Johnson (3B/OF)
3B- N.Castellanos (OF), N.Arenado
SS- X.Bogaerts(3B), E.Cabrera
OF-A.McCutchen, A.Jones, Y.Puig, A.Craig (1B), K.Davis. E.Bonifacio (2B/3B)

SP-Y.Darvish, G.Cole, J.Shields, H.Ryu, AJ Burnett, M.Estrada,
J.Lackey, D.Gee, J.Kelly, D.Hutchison, T.Jordan, J.Mejia

DL: C.Hamels, H.Iwakuma, M.Harrison, J.Profar (2B/SS/3B), M.Machado

N/A: N.Syndergaard

Let's go, Mets!

#28 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 11 March 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Not really what I wanted to hear at this point...obviously anything can change with nothing being set in stone today...

Lannan has never made a major league relief appearance. He’s held left-handed hitters to a .267 average in his seven-year career, which isn’t great. The Mets have some flexibility with him, since he cannot opt out of his minor league contract until June (Rubin, Jan. 30). That could allow the team extra time to work Lannan in relief at Triple-A to see how he’ll transition in to the role. Of course, this wouldn’t help the short-term, Opening Day roster situation.
At the same time, if Lannan is a reliever, the race for the last rotation spot will likely come down to Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jenrry Mejia. Early in the offseason, it sounded as though the preference was to give Mejia the job if he was healthy at the end of camp. However, Terry Collins recently suggested his preference is for a veteran to win the spot, which could result in Mejia starting the year in the rotation at Triple-A. It doesn’t sound like the organization views Mejia as a reliever anymore, and that’s good news considering how much he’s been jerked around over the years.
The Mets should choose the best option for each role and not deliberately handicap themselves because they fear losing somebody on waivers. If players aren’t performing, they shouldn’t be on the roster.

Like I said earlier, if the trend continues (mejia dominance, Dice-k struggles) there will be a chance. Today Montero gave up 1 run in 2 innings. Game wasn't on TV so not sure how he looked.

View Post96mnc, on 11 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

As a Colon owner I made sure I watched the Mets game yesterday.  Totally agree with your comment on Tejada.  He looked like he was carrying the weight of the world with him on the field.  He also had another error. It'll be interesting to see if/when Flores gets some playing time at SS.

Today. He started at SS. This is an underrated fantasy battle, imo. Again, game wasn't on TV in New York, no errors for Flores so who knows if he was good or not.

If Flores gets the job he should hit for good average and double digit power, which definitely plays at SS in most leagues. Not world beating, but if he can hit .300, those numbers look a lot better. And he is definitely capable.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#29 zingzing

zingzing

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Believeland

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

View PostSidearmer, on 11 March 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 11 March 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Not really what I wanted to hear at this point...obviously anything can change with nothing being set in stone today...

Lannan has never made a major league relief appearance. He’s held left-handed hitters to a .267 average in his seven-year career, which isn’t great. The Mets have some flexibility with him, since he cannot opt out of his minor league contract until June (Rubin, Jan. 30). That could allow the team extra time to work Lannan in relief at Triple-A to see how he’ll transition in to the role. Of course, this wouldn’t help the short-term, Opening Day roster situation.
At the same time, if Lannan is a reliever, the race for the last rotation spot will likely come down to Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jenrry Mejia. Early in the offseason, it sounded as though the preference was to give Mejia the job if he was healthy at the end of camp. However, Terry Collins recently suggested his preference is for a veteran to win the spot, which could result in Mejia starting the year in the rotation at Triple-A. It doesn’t sound like the organization views Mejia as a reliever anymore, and that’s good news considering how much he’s been jerked around over the years.
The Mets should choose the best option for each role and not deliberately handicap themselves because they fear losing somebody on waivers. If players aren’t performing, they shouldn’t be on the roster.

Like I said earlier, if the trend continues (mejia dominance, Dice-k struggles) there will be a chance. Today Montero gave up 1 run in 2 innings. Game wasn't on TV so not sure how he looked.

View Post96mnc, on 11 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

As a Colon owner I made sure I watched the Mets game yesterday.  Totally agree with your comment on Tejada.  He looked like he was carrying the weight of the world with him on the field.  He also had another error. It'll be interesting to see if/when Flores gets some playing time at SS.

Today. He started at SS. This is an underrated fantasy battle, imo. Again, game wasn't on TV in New York, no errors for Flores so who knows if he was good or not.

If Flores gets the job he should hit for good average and double digit power, which definitely plays at SS in most leagues. Not world beating, but if he can hit .300, those numbers look a lot better. And he is definitely capable.

Game was on mlbtv. He looked fine. He wasn't getting any swing and misses. He allowed a double steal which led to the run, but other than that he held them in check. From the vibes I'm getting he's not sniffing that 5th spot and more or less just auditioning to be the first guy called up when the inevitable happens to one of the SPs.

Edited by zingzing, 11 March 2014 - 08:16 PM.

12 Team Dynasty League H2H 7x7 (R,H,HR,RBI,TB,SB,OBP)(QS,W,K,SV,K/9,ERA,WHIP)
25 Active Players/20 Minor Leaguers

C-
Yadier Molina  
1B-
Chris Davis  
2B-
Chase Utley
3B- Miguel Cabrera  
SS-
Jed Lowrie
OF- Carlos Gomez  OF- Jacoby Ellsbury  OF- Khris Davis
UT- Brandon Belt, Chase Headley
Bench-
SP- Yu Darvish, Jose Fernandez, Clay Buchholz, Danny Salazar, Tony Cingrani,
Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova, Dan Straily, AJ Burnett, Matt Cain, Zach McAllister, Brad Hand

RP- Craig Kimbrel, Koji Uehara, Jim Henderson, Jason Grilli, Jonathan Broxton

DL- Matt Harvey
Farm- Arismendy Alcantara(2B), Joc Pederson(OF), George Springer(OF), Tommy Medica (1B),
Micah Johnson(2B) Devon Travis (2B), Mitch Nay (3B), Mac Williamson (OF), CJ Edwards(SP),
Kyle Crick(SP), Rafael Montero(SP), Erick Leal(SP), Robbie Ray(SP), Lucas Sims(SP), Pierce Johnson(SP),
Ian Clarkin(SP),
David Hale(SP), Jose Martinez(SP), Jenrry Mejia(SP)

#30 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

So if the Mets trade for Nick Franklin does SS improve?  It certainly would improve by light years if they signed Stephen Drew.  I'm sure all Mets pitchers, prospects or otherwise, would love that latter option.

#31 96mnc

96mnc

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

View Postzingzing, on 11 March 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostSidearmer, on 11 March 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostTheWrightStuff, on 11 March 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Not really what I wanted to hear at this point...obviously anything can change with nothing being set in stone today...

Lannan has never made a major league relief appearance. He’s held left-handed hitters to a .267 average in his seven-year career, which isn’t great. The Mets have some flexibility with him, since he cannot opt out of his minor league contract until June (Rubin, Jan. 30). That could allow the team extra time to work Lannan in relief at Triple-A to see how he’ll transition in to the role. Of course, this wouldn’t help the short-term, Opening Day roster situation.
At the same time, if Lannan is a reliever, the race for the last rotation spot will likely come down to Daisuke Matsuzaka and Jenrry Mejia. Early in the offseason, it sounded as though the preference was to give Mejia the job if he was healthy at the end of camp. However, Terry Collins recently suggested his preference is for a veteran to win the spot, which could result in Mejia starting the year in the rotation at Triple-A. It doesn’t sound like the organization views Mejia as a reliever anymore, and that’s good news considering how much he’s been jerked around over the years.
The Mets should choose the best option for each role and not deliberately handicap themselves because they fear losing somebody on waivers. If players aren’t performing, they shouldn’t be on the roster.

Like I said earlier, if the trend continues (mejia dominance, Dice-k struggles) there will be a chance. Today Montero gave up 1 run in 2 innings. Game wasn't on TV so not sure how he looked.

View Post96mnc, on 11 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

As a Colon owner I made sure I watched the Mets game yesterday.  Totally agree with your comment on Tejada.  He looked like he was carrying the weight of the world with him on the field.  He also had another error. It'll be interesting to see if/when Flores gets some playing time at SS.

Today. He started at SS. This is an underrated fantasy battle, imo. Again, game wasn't on TV in New York, no errors for Flores so who knows if he was good or not.

If Flores gets the job he should hit for good average and double digit power, which definitely plays at SS in most leagues. Not world beating, but if he can hit .300, those numbers look a lot better. And he is definitely capable.

Game was on mlbtv. He looked fine. He wasn't getting any swing and misses. He allowed a double steal which led to the run, but other than that he held them in check. From the vibes I'm getting he's not sniffing that 5th spot and more or less just auditioning to be the first guy called up when the inevitable happens to one of the SPs.

Just watched the replay.  I don't think he had a swing and a miss on a single curveball (except maybe the first one, wasn't charting pitches).  

As for Flores at SS, I'm not seeing the athleticism needed.  The bobble on the potential DP I'd write off to nerves but later their was a grounder in the 5.5 hole that he circled and then tried to make the throw.  He just isn't quick enough to the ball to make that consistently.

#32 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:PA

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Good old Mets messing with another P...

Mets considering Montero for Opening Day bullpen
March 16th, 2014 7:41 pm
The Mets are considering carrying Rafael Montero in their Opening Day bullpen (DiComo, March 16).
Montero is not being considered to replace the possibly-injured Jon Niese, who left Sunday’s game with elbow pain. Jenrry Mejia and John Lannan are the front-runners to replace Niese in the rotation if he’s unable to pitch, according to the report.
Mejia, Lannan and Daisuke Matsuzaka are said to be competing for the fifth spot in the rotation.
2013 CHAMP!- Field of Dreams (10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)


2014:
C-J.Castro
1B-F.Freeman
2B-A.Hill, K.Johnson (3B/OF)
3B- N.Castellanos (OF), N.Arenado
SS- X.Bogaerts(3B), E.Cabrera
OF-A.McCutchen, A.Jones, Y.Puig, A.Craig (1B), K.Davis. E.Bonifacio (2B/3B)

SP-Y.Darvish, G.Cole, J.Shields, H.Ryu, AJ Burnett, M.Estrada,
J.Lackey, D.Gee, J.Kelly, D.Hutchison, T.Jordan, J.Mejia

DL: C.Hamels, H.Iwakuma, M.Harrison, J.Profar (2B/SS/3B), M.Machado

N/A: N.Syndergaard

Let's go, Mets!

#33 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

^Really hope it doesn't happen. Sounds like 2010 Mejia all over again. I doubt they will do it mainly because of Super Two. My guess is he starts in AAA and gets the first open spot after super two. Then eventually ends the year as a reliever to limit innings, giving way to Syndergaard. Could see something similar with deGrom as well.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#34 Sidearmer

Sidearmer

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Any chance anyone saw his start last night? Just looking at the box score he put up great numbers.

6 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 5 K.

Vintage Montero. He could conceivably beat Syndergaard to the MLB if he keeps doing well.
"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users