Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2013 NBA Mock DraftFirst Round

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 Ukraine Spuds

Ukraine Spuds

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Here is my NBA Mock Draft as of today.  A lot of my notes below are from a fantasy basketball perspective.  This is subject to change a lot by 6/27 due to new information and trades.  

1. Cleveland - Nerlens Noel PF/C:  The Cavs need a SF, but #1 overall seems like a reach for Otto Porter.  I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading down a few spots to select Porter, but since this draft doesn't have a definite #1 prospect, I don't see many GM's wanting to pick first.

Noel is recovering from ACL surgery and he broke the growth plate in his left knee in high school so the injury history is a big concern.  When healthy, Noel is athletic, runs the floor well, and a great shot blocker so fantasy owners should obviously keep him on their radar.  His offense is very raw and he struggles with free throws & field goal %.  

2. Orlando - Ben McLemore SG:  The Magic have some nice young talent in Harris, Vucevic, & Harkless.  They could definitely use a PG so it would not be a shock if they take Trey Burke here.  I've heard some people suggest Victor Oladipo.  Orlando has also hinted that they are willing to trade their 2nd pick.

I have them taking Ben McLemore because of his upside, athleticism, and great shooting mechanics.  The Magic could trade Afflalo, which would open up the SG position for McLemore.  Ben does need to work on his aggression, first step, and handles.  I don't think it's fair to compare him to Ray Allen, but I do think McLemore has the best chance at becoming an all-star in this draft class.

3. Washington - Otto Porter SF:  Washington lucked out in the lottery when they received the 3rd pick.  Their backcourt is set with Wall & Beal.  They have been rumored to have some interest in Anthony Bennett, yet Porter makes the most sense to me.

Otto Porter doesn't have a high ceiling or the ability to dominate a single category, but he does a lot of things very well and has potential to be the best rookie in fantasy due to the fact that he's NBA ready and won't hurt you in a category.  Plus he's a Georgetown guy so playing for Washington would be a nice fit.

4. Charlotte - Anthony Bennett PF/SF: With exception to MKG & Kemba Walker, the Horncats really need help in a lot of ways.  Oladipo could land in Charlotte, but this team needs offense and I'm not confident that Victor has the offensive upside to justify the pick.  

Bennett has an NBA ready body, a nice repertoire on offense including a great finishing ability and a solid 3 point shot for a big man.  At 6'7, he's short for a PF, although he does have a 7'1 wingspan.  He's athletic, but needs to improve his defense, specifically his quickness and motor.  Bennett is recovering from a shoulder injury and isn't expected to participate in the Summer League, so watch him closely in preseason action.

5. Phoenix - Victor Oladipo SG:  Oladipo has amazing defensive potential, solid athleticism, and a great motor.  He can defend multiple positions as well.  Victor improved a lot at Indiana last season but still needs a lot of work on his handles and long range shot.  I think he'll be better in real basketball than fantasy, although he should be able to contribute immediately and help your fantasy team with steals, rebounding, and percentages for a SG.

6. New Orleans - Trey Burke PG:  Burke is undersized for a point guard, but he makes up for it with his wingspan, basketball IQ, and shooting ability. He needs to work on finishing around the rim in order to stick in the NBA.  I could also see the Pelicans taking Alex Len here, but I think Burke is the right pick assuming he drops this far, even with Greivis Vasquez on the roster.  Trey is the top PG in the draft in my opinion.

7. Sacramento - Alex Len C:  The Ukrainian big man could go higher than 7th due to his 7'1 size & 7'4 wingspan.  Len has the ability to showcase a back to the basket game, a skill that less big man seem to develop anymore.  Like most young centers, he needs to improve his footwork and post-game.  I'm expecting a Meyers Leonard type of rookie season from Len so fantasy owners shouldn't reach on draft day.  He's a good choice for dynasty leagues though because of the big upside.

8. Detroit - Michael Carter-Williams PG: The 6'6 PG from Syracuse also has a lot of upside due to his passing ability and size.  He currently needs to improve his shooting, especially from downtown, inside the lane and finishing at the rim.  MCW also needs to work on turning the ball over less.  He turned the ball over during 26% of possessions last season and that won't fly in the NBA or your fantasy team.  MCW isn't ready to start in the NBA, although he has the physical tools to be the best point guard in the draft down the road.  

9. Minnesota - Shabazz Muhammad SG/SF: People seem to either love or hate 'Bazz.  There was a lot of hype surrounding Muhammad coming out of high school and he left a lot to be desired with his one and done year at UCLA, a system that also may have caused the stock to drop for Westbrook & Love.  Shabazz has the ability to score, yet he didn't do much else during his time in Westwood.  He didn't even average an assist per game and his defense leaves a lot to be desired.  The lefty needs to improve going right and make sure he stays in shape in order to compete at the next level.  Muhammad is also a year older than people thought, making his high school career and freshman year at UCLA seem less impressive.  

Minnesota needs shooters and 'Bazz shot the ball well with his feet set.  I think McLemore makes the most sense for Minnesota, but they might not have the chips to move up that far in the draft.  The Wolves could also take a big man here and go for a SG with their 26th pick, since there is a lot of depth at the position in this draft.

10. Portland - C.J. McCollum PG/SG:  The combo guard was injured for most of the year, yet his stock, like Noel's, didn't really change.  He's a great shooter so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets picked by Minnesota with the 9th pick.  I think he would work well in the Portland system as a 6th man for scoring off the bench and a backup PG to Lillard.  If healthy, McCollum should be ready to contribute immediately so fantasy owners should take note.  

11. Philadelphia - Cody Zeller PF/C:  The younger Zeller had a nice combine after a somewhat disappointing season at Indiana, so it wouldn't surprise me if he goes as high as 7th to Sacramento or 9th to the Wolves.  Zeller needs to get stronger if he wants to be a starter in the NBA.  He runs the floor well and has a diverse offensive game for a big man.  He can get to the free throw line and won't hurt you with percentages.  It remains to be seen if he can handle the C position at the next level, but Philadelphia could use another big man after trading away Vucevic, and gambling on Bynum.  Zeller doesn't have a great wingspan, but he's close to NBA ready and has a high floor.

12. Oklahoma City - Steven Adams C:  OKC has done a good job collecting assets and giving them minutes in the D-League like they did with Jeremy Lamb after the Harden trade.  Adams is very raw, but has the physical tools that impressed scouts during his season at Pitt and at the combine recently.  OKC seems like a good fit because they can let him develop in the D-League for a season or two.  Adams might have the highest upside of any C in this draft, but fantasy owners will need to be patient for at least a year or two.  I'm curious to see how the New Zealander does during the Summer League.

13. Dallas - Kelly Olynyk PF/C:  Sounds like Olynyk is better suited to play PF in the NBA because he can shoot from the perimeter well, and scouts claim he needs a lot of work on his defense and rebounding ability at the NBA level.  He's not a great athlete, but he can handle the ball well for a 7 footer as he showed at the combine.  Olynyk has the offensive diversity that is rare for someone his size and I think he would be a good fit coming off the bench in Dallas initially.

14. Utah - Dennis Schroeder PG:  The German PG impressed scouts during the Nike Hoop Summit recently and his stock has risen ever since.  Schroeder has a good first step and speed, but needs to improve finishing at the rim.  He's good at pick and roll situations and has the quickness to compete on defense.  The Jazz could use a PG prospect, giving them a nice young core of Kanter, Favors, and Hayward.  Rumors are that at least one team has promised Schroeder that they'll select him in the 1st round.  I would be surprised if he doesn't get picked by Utah.

15. Milwaukee - Kentavious Caldwell-Pope SG:  KCP played on a bad Georgia team but put up nice stats, even though his 3PT % wasn't good.  He was asked to be the man at Georgia, yet profiles better as a number 2 or 3 option in the NBA.  KCP needs to improve his handles and slashing ability moving forward.  Milwaukee makes sense for KCP, even if Reddick returns.  He could go as high as 9th to Minnesota.

16. Boston - Giannis Antetokounmpo SF: Celtics President Danny Ainge is rumored to be very interested in the high upside of Antetokounmpo, an 18 year old from Greece.  Giannis is very raw, but scouts like his physical tools including his giant hands, big 7'3 wingspan, and good frame that should be able to add weight easily when he gets older.  Antetokounmpo also has the ability to bring the ball up the court like a point guard, although he profiles as a SF in the NBA.  He needs to work on his perimeter shooting and shooting mechanics.  He's years away from making an impact in the NBA so a team like Boston may choose to stash him in Europe for a season, then bring him along slowly in the D-League.  Deep dynasty leagues can also stash him or use him as a trade chip to a rebuilding team.

17. Atlanta - Gorgui Dieng C:  Dieng is a mature 23 years old and ready to contribute right away.  The Hawks have two picks back-to-back and I think they take a C with one of the picks.  Dieng has a 7'4 wingspan and defensive potential that helps make up for his perceived lack of upside due to his age.  He could be a backup C off the bench, or allow Horford to play more PF.

18. Atlanta - Sergey Karasev SG/SF:  The solid shooter from Russia impressed at the Nike Hoop Summit, showing off his strong basketball IQ, passing ability, and good court vision.  Karasev isn’t very fast or strong, and he needs to improve his defense against NBA wing players.  Don’t be shocked if Atlanta trades one of these picks.

19. Cleveland – Dario Saric SF/PF: Saric messed up a lot of mock drafts recently when reports claimed that he was no longer entering the draft.  He just confirmed that he will indeed enter, and could easily go as high as 13th to Dallas.  I have him falling to Cleveland, which would make the Cavs happy since Saric profiles more as a SF in the NBA.  He’s got good handles and passing ability, but needs to improve his shooting mechanics and consistency.  

20. Chicago – Jamaal Franklin SG/SF:  The Bulls could use help at SG and Franklin at 6’5 has nice size for the position.  He averaged over 9 rebounds per game last season at San Diego St., a very impressive number for a 2 guard.  Franklin is aggressive and has a great motor.  Yet another player that could easily go higher in the draft.

21. Utah - Mason Plumlee PF/C: The Duke big man is close to NBA ready and the Jazz could use him if Milsap or Jefferson leaves Salt Lake.  Plumlee is a solid post player and good in transition.  He’s athletic for his size, but needs to work on his perimeter game and pick and roll quickness.  He hould contribute this season in fantasy and has more upside than his older brothers.

22. Brooklyn - Jeff Withey C:  Withey excels on the defensive end with his ability to block shots without committing fouls.  He’s not very athletic on the offensive end, but his shot blocking ability is very appealing for fantasy.

23. Indiana - Shane Larkin PG: Undersized at 5’11, yet very athletic, the former Miami point guard has shot up draft boards over the past few months.  He registered a 44-inch vertical at the combine, the second highest ever.  That said, he’ll need to improve finishing at the rim if he wants to be a starting PG in the NBA.

24. New York - Tony Mitchell PF/SF:  Mitchell might have the most athletic upside in the draft, but scouts question his motor after a lackluster season at North Texas.  He’s got an NBA -ready body and the athletic ability to come off the bench early in the season.  Just needs to stay focused and hustle during every possession.  I don’t think he’ll fall past the Knicks.

25. LA Clippers - Rudy Gobert C:  Crazy wingspan and standing reach at 7’8 ½ & 9’7, the French center is a project that could pay off in a few years.  Gobert isn’t very athletic and appears too mechanical at times.  His offensive game is extremely raw, but his defense has a lot of potential due to his length.  Not ready to contribute from a fantasy perspective so draft accordingly.

26. Minnesota - Mike Muscala PF/C:  Muscala is a good shooter for his size at 6’11 and passes the ball well.  He didn’t get much attention playing for Bucknell, but scouts like his well-rounded game and improved defense and strength.

27. Denver – Allen Crabbe SG: Great size for a 2 guard at 6’6 and a good scorer in transition.  Crabbe needs to add strength and improve his handles.  As a shooter he has solid mechanics and good range.  Crabbe could go to a team like Minnesota if they select a big man with the 9th pick.

28. San Antonio - Glen Rice Jr. SF:  Rice turned heads in the D-League last season with his consistent jump-shot, strong frame, and ability to rebound and block shots.  If Rice can improve his first step and handles, he could become a starter in the league for years.  He is ready to contribute next season so move him up your fantasy draft boards.  

29. Oklahoma City - Lucas Nogueira PF/C: The Brazilian is a good rebounder and shot blocker, but is very raw offensively.  He’s got a 7’5 wingspan, yet needs to add size and strength to his frame.  Another project for the Thunder.

30. Phoenix – Tim Hardaway Jr. SG: Hardaway didn’t get to showcase his offensive skills at Michigan with Burke, GRIII, and McGary on the same team.  He has to improve his shot selection and consistency.  He’s athletic and has a diverse game that will help him at the next level.

Other possible 1st Round Picks:  Tony Snell SG/SF, Reggie Bullock SG/SF, Archie Goodwin SG, Livio Jean-Charles SF/PF, Pierre Jackson PG, Isaiah Canaan PG, Ricardo Ledo SG
Bricklayers Dynasty League 16 Teams 9-Cat H2H

PG: Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose, Ray McCallum
SG: Bradley Beal, Terrence Ross, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
PF: John Henson, Terrence Jones
C:   DeMarcus Cousins, Gorgui Dieng

Picks 1-1, 1-2, 1-11, 1-12

#2 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

im a very big propenent of Jamaal Franklin  he basically projects as a better Jimmy butler and what do ya know the bulls could possibly be getting Jimmy butler 2.0 with the original version who aint too bad himself. what a team they will have especially with rose back.
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member   Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#3 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

Random observations not really directed at your opinions, but just the draft itself:

- I explained this in a post earlier, but once again I must say that I cannot think of one reason why Noel should be drafted ahead of McLemore. The fact that Noel is pretty much universally projected ahead of McLemore is mind-boggling to me.

- Count me as a Shabazz hater. All the pessimists say that he's one-dimensional, but I'll go as far as saying he's zero-dimensional. Sure he scored over 17ppg in college, but many of those buckets came off his sheer athletic advantage. He really struggled creating his own shot, and a lot of his points came from basically bullying his way closer to the basket. Oftentimes it was Jordan Adams bailing UCLA out on offense, and not Muhammad. His offense truly was ugly to watch at UCLA, and I don't even want to think about what he can (or rather, cannot) do on the professional level. Then factor in his character issues, and he sure reminds me of another fellow lefty: Michael Beasley. Except when Beasley declared for the draft, he was younger and showed more offensive talent. I don't know about everyone else, but I surely am not interested in drafting a Michael Beasley who's worse than Michael Beasley.

- Since Dennis Schroeder has been getting a lot of comparisons to Rondo, naturally I looked into his game quite extensively. I've really been impressed by what I've seen so far, and I honestly think he might even end up edging out Burke as becoming the best PG to come out of this draft. (Side note: I really don't like what I see from MCW and think he'll completely bust at the pro level.) His shooting really isn't as terrible as it's made out to be in my opinion, and he's just 19. For him to be had towards the middle of the first round, he's just an absolute bargain.

- For a guy who is slated to go towards the end of the first round, I absolutely love Jeff Withey. I'll get it out of the way and say that his offense is pretty much a lost cause, but his defense is so fundamentally sound and he's ready to contribute in a big way on that end of the floor already. He's a solid rotational guy who I think profiles a lot like Kendrick Perkins (and I mean Celtics-version Perkins who actually contributed).

#4 rakmjn1

rakmjn1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Good mock it's looking like this will be pretty accurate but personally I'm worried about Porter at 3 - after watching his highlights at draftexpress it looked like he struggled in traffic, had trouble getting by his man and he was generally not very explosive. I know he's got quick hands and he's gotta be better than Prince (who he compares himself too - "shudder") but unless he develops an NBA three I think it's gonna be harder for him in the bigs than other top picks. If he could gain maybe 25lbs he'd be an excellent stretch 4 but the kid has put on only 7 lbs in 2 years at Georgetown (198lbs).

I know he will go top three but his bust potential from an FBA perspective in pretty high IMO.

#5 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

One thing Olynyk has going against him is that the ability to score is not one of the more translatable stats from college to the pros. The general feeling on Olynyk is that he is going to struggle to finish around the basket in the NBA with his lack of length and overall below average explosion and athleticism.

#6 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Bill Simmons, who is increasingly connected to NBA sources, says he can't see Noel taken first.  I tend to agree, but not taking him first would force the Cavs to take McLemore as far as I can see.  A starting lineup of Irving, Waiters, McLemore, Thompson, and Varejeo could very easily be a playoff team next year in the East.

#7 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Victor Oladipo will be the best player from this draft class. I think he possesses that it factor that Paul George had when he was drafted

#8 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

View Postnickalero99, on 16 June 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Bill Simmons, who is increasingly connected to NBA sources, says he can't see Noel taken first.  I tend to agree, but not taking him first would force the Cavs to take McLemore as far as I can see.  A starting lineup of Irving, Waiters, McLemore, Thompson, and Varejeo could very easily be a playoff team next year in the East.

So NBA scouts aren't stupid after all.

#9 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I live in Indiana and I watched Victor probably no less than 40 times over his career (albeit as a Michigan fan) and his major contributions are on defense.  He is as good an on ball defender as I've seen in college.  He guarded the best player 1-3  on any team Indiana played and was still able to get steals and blocks.  His offensive game is relatively weak though.  I can't see Paul George out of him.  George is well taller and that matters when you get to the lane in the NBA.  He will be good.  I don't doubt that, but I can't see him being a star in the NBA.  Don't doubt him being the best of class at all though.

Personally, I prefer Burke and McLemore for fantasy purposes.  Overall player, I really do like Victor.  The guy was amazing this year for IU.

#10 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't think he will be Paul George, but I feel he will be a very good offensive player in 2 years.

If cleveland passes on nerlens, is Mclemore really a good fit? I think Nerlens is a better fit for them.

#11 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

View Postsya, on 16 June 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

I don't think he will be Paul George, but I feel he will be a very good offensive player in 2 years.

If cleveland passes on nerlens, is Mclemore really a good fit? I think Nerlens is a better fit for them.

I agree. If he wasn't hurt, I'd prefer Noel, slide Varejao to the 4 and bring Thompson off the bench. I'm anxious to watch McLemore play in the NBA because I still don't understand the hype surrounding him.

#12 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

The biggest rule when it comes to drafting (for smart teams, at least) is to NEVER draft based off fit. ALWAYS draft on talent and talent alone. This year, McLemore is basically the ONLY guy with superstar potential, and there's absolutely no reason any team should draft a very limited Noel over the far more limitless McLemore.

#13 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

I think the best landing spot from Mclemore's perspective would be Phoenix. He is unlikely to fall that far though. He will be great alongside Dragic, and will undoubtedly be given the chance to start immediately

#14 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

View Postballsohard, on 16 June 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

The biggest rule when it comes to drafting (for smart teams, at least) is to NEVER draft based off fit. ALWAYS draft on talent and talent alone. This year, McLemore is basically the ONLY guy with superstar potential, and there's absolutely no reason any team should draft a very limited Noel over the far more limitless McLemore.

The other rule is to, if possible, draft big men with game changing potential. Noel is already has dominate potential on defense. Offense, with the right coaching and work ethic, can always come later. If he wasn't hurt, I'd take him over McLemore.

#15 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Noel is a better fit if he turns out, but when you look at him critically he is a black hole on offense and I wonder what his game really brings defensively in the NBA.  Obviously a lot of off the ball blocks.  He's tremendous there.  That said, if he's guarding a true big, can he shut them down?

McLemore is not an ideal fit for the Cavs because he's a true 2 and they already have Waiters, but he is big enough to play the wing.  I was one of McLemore's biggest critics.  I didn't see it.  NCAA tournament you get the PG slapped with a tech early and gets in foul trouble and all of a sudden McLemore is busting out.  I think the talent Kansas had led him to be a little less assertive than he otherwise would have been.  He could have taken over more games, but the team was dominated by the PG.  I'm not 100% sure on him because I really think he should have been more assertive in general, but his talent level puts him at the top of this class when you're talking potential.  Burke is better right now, so is Oladipo.  Neither of those guys scream NBA All-Star to me and McLemore has that potential.

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

View Posttremixt, on 16 June 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

The other rule is to, if possible, draft big men with game changing potential. Noel is already has dominate potential on defense. Offense, with the right coaching and work ethic, can always come later. If he wasn't hurt, I'd take him over McLemore.

I've looked into Noel and I honestly don't understand how he can improve his offense to become even just palatable. SGs are pretty rare themselves these days, and ones with the potential of McLemore's are fewer and further in between. Furthermore, I must also bring up to debate whether Noel can even be considered "dominant" on defense, both now and in the future. His athleticism alone will help him be a great help defender, but as far as one-on-one's go, I'm highly skeptical. For convenience, I've also copied my original post from the other NBA draft thread:

View Postballsohard, on 28 May 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Looking into Noel more closely, I really don't understand why this guy is projected #1. This guy has absolutely no offensive game at all, meaning that teams will essentially be using a #1 overall pick on a defensive specialist. I'm not even sold on how well his defense is going to translate into the NBA, as his skinny frame is going to get eaten alive by much bigger opponents when it comes to individual D, and he's already had to deal with one significant injury with his torn ACL. Back to his offense, it's bad not because he's raw or anything, but because he just flat out has no fundamentals whatsoever when it comes to that end of the court. The question is if, not when, he will ever develop any sort of competent offensive game, and if he does, how long will that take him? At best I can see him peaking as a Larry Sanders-type player - and that's very, very impressive; I'm not saying that Noel is going to be a complete bum in the NBA. However, Larry Sanders isn't exactly first overall draft pick material.

Especially considering the fact that there's also a guy named Ben McLemore. McLemore has a whole bunch of flaws as well, but at least his aren't physical and/or fundamental. McLemore's weaknesses lie within inconsistency and boneheaded mistakes, but he doesn't exactly strike me as a Michael Beasley sort of guy who thinks his athleticism will take him anywhere and ignore the criticism. Not just that, but unlike Noel, McLemore's talents won't actually make him a strictly one-sided player. His defense is not great by any means, but passable especially considering his offensive talents. He can shoot, he can slash, and he can even pass. This guy actually has superstar potential, and considering how lackluster this year's draft is, I just don't understand how you pass on probably the only guy with superstar potential for a defensive specialist.

If I were Cleveland, I'd absolutely either take the best player available and worry about what to do with Waiters later (who I think works better as a scorer off the bench anyway), or move down and take a wing like Porter who actually fills a need. I don't think Noel is #1 overall draft pick material, and he wouldn't be a fit with Thompson anyway.

Edited by ballsohard, 16 June 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#17 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Noel will never be a good offensive player, but if you give him a PG like Kyrie, he can be decent and average more than 10ppg. He runs the floor very well so he will get fastbreak chances too. I see him as a more athletic Tyson Chandler on offense.

#18 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postsya, on 16 June 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Noel will never be a good offensive player, but if you give him a PG like Kyrie, he can be decent and average more than 10ppg. He runs the floor very well so he will get fastbreak chances too. I see him as a more athletic Tyson Chandler on offense.

So a slightly better Tyson Chandler is first overall draft pick material to you?

#19 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Nope, but it really depends on how they view it. Some scouts are really down on Mclemore. And as much as people like to say that teams should draft talent over need, we know that rarely happens esp for a team like Cleveland that has 3 good building blocks. Yeah the Oden case is the best example, but teams never learn.

Let's say Cleveland is deadset on taking a C, would you pick Len over Noel?

#20 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Noel is still not worth taking #1 overall.  Noel is going to have to bulk up to be Tyson Chandler good and that took years to produce.  Chandler's rookie year he seemed like a waste of a pick.

Bill Simmons, who is literally getting this stuff from execs now with his new job said no Noel first.  I think the Cavs have grown more intelligent if they actually go elsewhere.  Not sure between McLeomore, Porter, Burke, Oladipo, and Len but I am pretty sure that Noel will never be better than Serge Ibaka if Serge couldn't hit 18 footers.