Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Eric Stults 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dan94

Dan94

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Has been dominant lately.

5er in his last 30 innings pitched.

#2 zizi

zizi

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

Picked him up on 2 of my teams earlier this week.

Last 7 of 9 starts, 2 or fewer runs scored and the other 2 starts were 3 and 4 runs scored. Only owned in 20% of Yahoo leagues currently. I wish I picked him up on my first team.

#3 zizi

zizi

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

CG, 2 hits, 1 BB, 1 run.

#4 Travis_Fryman#17

Travis_Fryman#17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Doing the Vogelsong thing from the left side?
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.
- Charles Bukowski

#5 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

He has a nice schedule coming up: @SF, Phi, @Mia, @Was

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#6 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

How legit is this guy? Honestly hadn't heard anything about him before that 2 hit CG...but now I see how dominant he's been lately.

Lack of Ks worry me (other than that one game)...but is he approaching must start territory when he gets easy matchups like he has coming up?

12 Team Auction Draft. Yahoo 0.5 PPR scoring. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex. 

Bought Mccoy and AP, losing AP screwed me, and been trading nonstop to fill the holes.

QB: Jay Cutler / Colin Kaepernick
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: Shane Vereen
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Mohamed Sanu
TE: Greg Olsen
Flex: Denard Robinson
K: Cody Parkey
Def: Cleveland (streaming always)

Bench: Reggie Wayne, Eric Decker, Allen Robinson, Roy Helu Jr., Charles Sims, Davante Adams

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

How legit is this guy? Honestly hadn't heard anything about him before that 2 hit CG...but now I see how dominant he's been lately.

Lack of Ks worry me (other than that one game)...but is he approaching must start territory when he gets easy matchups like he has coming up?

He's a soft tossing lefty that gets fly balls. Basically, he's an ideal fit for Petco. He isn't a K pitcher, so don't expect that to pick up, but he has been hot. He will regress back some, but you may as well ride him while he is hot.
Bring back Ray!

#8 ATLBraves

ATLBraves

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Is he worth streaming tomorrow @ San Fran? He has faced them twice this year and has been roughed up both times, but he has been pitching great lately.

#9 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

First day owning this guy (mainly added him for his 2 favorable starts next week)...but I'm throwing him in the fire vs. Bum right away.

Hopefully he keeps this hot streak up.

Bought Mccoy and AP, losing AP screwed me, and been trading nonstop to fill the holes.

Bench: Reggie Wayne, Eric Decker, Allen Robinson, Roy Helu Jr., Charles Sims, Davante Adams

#10 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

wow...

it took Gregerson only about 45 seconds to completely ruin Stults Win...awesome work.

Why would you let Stults hit the previous inning if you were just going to pull him after only 1 out?

#11 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Is this guy legit? There are quite a few SPs like him this year with a low K rate and big discrepancy between ERA and xFIP, like Arroyo, Travis Wood, Jeff Locke, Mike Leake.

There's a team in my 5x5 who is in 2nd out of 12 with almost an entire staff of guys with low ERA and high xFIP (Westbrook, Corbin, Kuroda, Locke, Arroyo) and some actual solid SPs (Burnett, Masterson, Shields, Liriano, Ervin Santana). I feel as though this house of cards has to fall eventually, but I have yet to see corrections for any of these guys.

But if I can't beat him, I might join him and grab Stults.

#12 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Does it really even out..the ERA and xFIP? or is it just some statistical crap that means nothing in the real game of baseball?

C- Ramos $8
1b - Bautista $37
2b - Altuve $24
3b - Miggy $71
SS - A. Escobar $1
OF - Rusney Castillo $1
OF - Revere $13
OF - Cespedes $27

SP - Kershaw $60 Felix $48 Grienke $31 Zimmerman $30 Arrieta $1 Carrasco $1
RP - Cishek $11 Mejia $1 Giles $1

#13 RBIZ

RBIZ

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Lol

#14 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

He has a very nice 2-start week this week. First tonight at home vs the Phillies and then later on this week at Miami.

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#15 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

He has a very nice 2-start week this week. First tonight at home vs the Phillies and then later on this week at Miami.

Last 30 calendar days the Phillies have been a top-10 offense. This has a lot to do with Michael Young's turn-around. Last 30 days vs. Lefties the Phillies are a top 10 offense.

The Phillies have 3 hitters with an OPS over .830 vs lefties (Brown, Mayberry, Young) and the hitters who struggle against lefties (Revere, Rollins) can capitalize on the poor Padres defense and beat out a few hits. I really don't like him at all after reviewing the numbers this morning.

Miami is a tough matchup for Stults as well given that he has a poor breaking ball and he's not going to get by a fastball hitting Miami team if he can't get a breaking ball over the plate.

#16 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

This is pretty much what Stults does year in and year out. Occasional rough patches like any pitcher but this is who he is. Low K but low ERA and WHIP too. Not as many wins cause he is a Padre. I've picked him up streaming and even holding some last couple of years. A blue collar flying under the radar guy that most people seem to forget about for the "flashier" high K types. But in the long run he is kind of like the tortoise to the hare ... slow and steady. Baseball is a marathon in the end too. In deeper leagues he can quietly do his thing and contribute without you even noticing him much but in the end he will have contributed a nice bit to the team.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 24 June 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#17 zizi

zizi

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

nice line, 7 IP, 2 ER 1 WHIP but no run support.

#18 indycolts88

indycolts88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

Last 30 calendar days the Phillies have been a top-10 offense. This has a lot to do with Michael Young's turn-around. Last 30 days vs. Lefties the Phillies are a top 10 offense.

The Phillies have 3 hitters with an OPS over .830 vs lefties (Brown, Mayberry, Young) and the hitters who struggle against lefties (Revere, Rollins) can capitalize on the poor Padres defense and beat out a few hits. I really don't like him at all after reviewing the numbers this morning.

Miami is a tough matchup for Stults as well given that he has a poor breaking ball and he's not going to get by a fastball hitting Miami team if he can't get a breaking ball over the plate.

You are over-thinking things: the Marlins are not a tough matchup for anyone.

#19 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,660 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

You are over-thinking things: the Marlins are not a tough matchup for anyone.

Stults played the drug dealer in "Pulp Fiction", Rocky Dennis in "Mask", and the dude who's been in college for 15 years in "Kicking and Screaming". The Marlins are child's play for him.

Edited by mjk356, 25 June 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#20 Murphzilla

Murphzilla

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Oof terrible first inning