Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2013 League Settings CentralHow folks set up leagues - size, scoring, draft, schedule, etc.

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 jstep13

jstep13

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

In your all opinions, is it better to draft your yearly leagues now or later? I can see the benefit in both...draft now and you can pick off some possible gems before anyone catches on or draft later after preseason performance and injuries help you determine what your targets are. What say you?

#2 WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I say after third preseason game. You may get the gems now or you may get a top pick that tears something.

#3 dewaser

dewaser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

Im tempted to draft early this year... primarily cause I really want to and have nothing to do, but also cause I wanna draft some sleepers before they catch on. I'm thinking in mid July
12 team PPR league
QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: CJ Spiller
FLEX: Shane Vereen
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: Roddy White
WR: Rueben Randle
TE: Kyle Rudolph
D/ST: Cardinals
K: Adam Vinatieri
Bench: Danny Woodhead, Steven Jackson, Jarrett Boykin, Ahmad Bradshaw, Andrew Hawkins, Ronnie Hillman, Roy Helu

#4 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

I want to draft the first week of August in most leagues. Late enough to limit injury concerns, but early enough to where the sleepers shouldn't be too hyped up. It also doesn't help that Yahoo updates their rankings in mid August.

Last year, I had been doing all of my mocks with the normal Yahoo rankings and a few days before my draft, I noticed a lot of my "sleepers" were ranked a good bit higher.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#5 MUKerrNash

MUKerrNash

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Labor Day weekend every year.  I have drafts in August that are great, but my Labor Day league is the best.  Sure a lot more concrete info is out there, but you can use that to your advantage as well.

Edited by MUKerrNash, 16 June 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#6 The Jesus

The Jesus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostRyan81, on 16 June 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

I want to draft the first week of August in most leagues. Late enough to limit injury concerns, but early enough to where the sleepers shouldn't be too hyped up. It also doesn't help that Yahoo updates their rankings in mid August.

Last year, I had been doing all of my mocks with the normal Yahoo rankings and a few days before my draft, I noticed a lot of my "sleepers" were ranked a good bit higher.

I found a website that has a pretty good illustration of what you're talking about:

http://fantasyfootba...tegy-matt-ryan/

As a case in point, let’s discuss Matt Ryan, quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons. Through most of August, 2012, Matt Ryan was ranked very low on the Yahoo! ranked default player list (read undervalued). This ranking combined with the fact that a surprisingly high number of team owners tend to use the list as their only guide for drafting their team, resulted in Matt Ryan being consistently drafted mainly in the 8th – 12th round range. Instead of wasting a high draft pick to acquire him, shrewd team owners were waiting until later in the draft when Ryan’s name neared the top of the ranked default player list to select him. (Knowing that team owners use the list as a guide as to when to draft a player is a great advantage! Astute team owners knew there was little chance of Matt Ryan going earlier than where he was positioned on the list.)

Later in August, Yahoo! published a feature article on their fantasy football home page bemoaning the lack of fantasy love Matt Ryan was receiving in Yahoo! drafts. They couldn’t understand why Matt Ryan was not being drafted any higher than he was – especially considering the weapons he had at his disposal, e.g. Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez. Based on the all the information we have discussed on the “autodraft” process and the ranked default player list, it seems odd that Yahoo! would lament the low average draft position of Matt Ryan that they themselves created by their low placement of him on their ranked default player list.

Shortly after the article was posted, Yahoo! updated their ranking of Matt Ryan in their default player list. The result was predictable. Matt Ryan was immediately being selected mainly in the 3rd – 5th round range, thus proving that the ranking on the Yahoo! default player list influences when a player is selected in an online draft. If you get nothing out of this article, remember that last phrase – the ranking on the Yahoo! default player list influences when a player is selected in an online draft.

As silly as it seems, at Yahoo ADP = Yahoo's default rankings, generally speaking.  That's a good thing to remember when doing drafts there.

#7 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

This is very true. If you go on Yahoo right now, you'll notice that Lamar Millers ADP is I think in the 70 or 80 range. Why? I have no idea.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST: Cincinnati Bengals/Arizona Cardinals
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert, James Starks, Mohammed Sanu Cole Beasley

#8 The Jesus

The Jesus

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostRyan81, on 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

This is very true. If you go on Yahoo right now, you'll notice that Lamar Millers ADP is I think in the 70 or 80 range. Why? I have no idea.

You can also get Cecil Shorts easily in the tenth.  That won't be the case in late August.  Based on what I know now I'm completely on board with having all of my "pro" league drafts wrapped up my early to mid August.

#9 WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

How does your league divide payouts?
In a 25$ 10man league We pay 1-$135 2-$75 3-45$

#10 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostWalterWhite, on 19 June 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Hard to do with that small of a league and entry fee, but usually I like all playoffs teams to get at least their entry fee back -- nothing worse than dominating a league for 13-14 weeks, then losing both your playoff games only to receive NOTHING back.  You've also got $5 too much on your payouts.

#11 WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

It's 40 instead of 45. We used to split the third place cash to the division winners but changed it last year to the third place game just to make it matter. We take top 6 in to playoffs with division winners getting a bye so I thought that was rewarding in its self. All they have to do is win one game and they are in the money round then.

#12 Fantasy Football Impact

Fantasy Football Impact

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostThe Jesus, on 17 June 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

I found a website that has a pretty good illustration of what you're talking about:

http://fantasyfootba...tegy-matt-ryan/

Thanks for the mention. I'm glad the article was useful. The Matt Ryan situation at Yahoo last year was definitely an advantage to drafting earlier rather than later. And you are right about Cecil Shorts for 2013. I can't imagine him being drafted as a WR4 in late August. Knowing the default list well before embarking on an on-line draft is a must - especially at Yahoo.

#13 ZidaneValor

ZidaneValor

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

In one of my 10-player leagues with a $20 buy-in it's $120, $40, $20, then $20 for most regular season points.  So a 6-2-1-1 payout.

I like the idea of the guy that "wins" the regular season to be on a freeroll.

Sometimes, it's also easier if the payouts are multiples of the buy-in, but not necessary.

Edited by ZidaneValor, 22 June 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#14 LDM

LDM

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

another benefit to drafting the beginning of Aug. or sooner is that on Yahoo you can forgo drafting a K or DST and grab 2 more skill positions sleepers.  this will give you a 33% greater bench going into the preseason games when some breakout guys lock down roster spots.
14 team PPR, IDP, 6pt Pass, 1pt/ 25 Ret Yards

QB  Romo
WR  Antonio Brown, DJax
RB  Charles
TE  Gronk
Flex  MJD, Reggie Bush
K
Ben  Britt, Josh Gordon, Hillman, R Randle, Chris Givens

DB  William Moore, Mark Barron
DL  Greg Hardy, Chandler Jones
LB  Sean Lee, D'Qwell Jackson

#15 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I will never be in a money league that drafts early.

The "gems" are nice, but I know I'd lose my mind if my top pick tore his knee up before I even got to use him.

#16 WalterWhite

WalterWhite

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I play with passing tds set at 6pts. Always have, always will. What does everyone else play with and why?

#17 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,351 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

I play in two leagues that have passing as 6 and another with passing as 5.

Why?  Because thats how the leagues were set up lol.
Team 1: 12 Team Keeper 1pt PPR. 5 per TD. 1 per 20 passing

QB: Cutler,Big Ben
RB: Gerhart, Sankey, B.Pierce, Terrance West, James White, Chris Polk
WR:Calvin, AJ Green, Julio(Flex), M. Floyd(Flex), J. Hunter, D. Baldwin
TE: Kyle Rudolph

#18 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

I always draft the weekend before games start.

4 points for passing TDs.

#19 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,641 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

Personally, the earlier the better for draft day. Obviously there is the danger of a high pick being injured but I have that much more confidence in my early preparation than I do in that of many of the owners I play with.

The most fair time, though, is anywhere between the 2nd weekend of preseason and the end of August.

#20 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostZidaneValor, on 22 June 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

In one of my 10-player leagues with a $20 buy-in it's $120, $40, $20, then $20 for most regular season points.  So a 6-2-1-1 payout.

I like the idea of the guy that "wins" the regular season to be on a freeroll.

Sometimes, it's also easier if the payouts are multiples of the buy-in, but not necessary.
Ours is a $250 buy in and we have a lot of different things:
Champion, runner up, 3rd place game winner,  total points leader, 2nd in points, high point week and bottom 6 tournament winner all get a share.  The one thing we are thinking of changing is that each of the guys in the final four get something.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users