Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DEF/ST Rankings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
212 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,357 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

So what do you think about the defensive ranks this year? As we all know defensive ranks can vary year to year. The 49ers were thought to be the best of the best last year and they were, ehh last year.

I usually play matchups but how are you seeing the defenses/ST this year?

#2 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

I play the matchup game. Not wasting a 9th round pick on the 49ers and then dropping another player to start a defense on their bye week.

$50 12 Team PPR, 11-2(2-0 playoffs, Champion)

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Jeremy Hill

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Martavis Bryant, Shane Vereen, Isaiah Crowell, Josh Gordon, Kyle Orton 

#3 Al.Davis

Al.Davis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

It pains me to say it, but I'll probably start whoever plays the Raiders a whole lot this year.

Happy Father's Day!

The Father of the Modern NFL,

Al Davis

#4 ForteDaysandForteNights

ForteDaysandForteNights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

The Rams defense is intriguing to me in terms of building on what they achieved last year.

Finishing as the 9th ranked defense in ESPN standard leagues they only posted 3 fantasy weeks with negative numbers (against New England, Green Bay and Minnesota/Adrien Peterson) and of the rest only 3 weeks with 5 points or less. They have a strong front seven and a secondary capable of making big plays. The addition of Tavon Austin only helps in the return game. Also notable in tying for the league lead in sacks.

If I get to the last round and the big defense are off the board I'd be happy to take the Rams and see how it plays out.

The Seahawks defense is also one I think has the potential to maintain their success last year. The additions of Avril and Bennett help in rotating their pass rush and keeping it fresh which was a problem last year, once Irvin and Clemons return they should be able to maintain consistent pressure. Also the addition of Antoine Winfield is HUGE. Guy is an impact player who helps in the passing and running game. I think they're the only big name defense who got markedly better this year.

#5 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I agree, Defenses are a gamble fantasy wise. Having said that, we know that SF and SEA are dominant in real football, so I still think they top the board. Not 11th round, but nature of the beast.

Tier 1:
Seattle
San Fran

Tier 2:
Houston - Nice schedule this year
Chicago
Denver

The above 5 are the only ones I'd feel comfortable week in and week out, pre-season anyways.

Tier 3:
STL - Cuz they were pretty solid last year, and have a great week 1 matchup
TB - Another solid week 1 matchup, and made some solid upgrades this offseason. (Revis Island pending)

Tier 4: The streamers
Pitt - Steel Curtain Plays Tenn week 1
KC - Plays JAC week 1
Everyone else
I do it for the likes...

#6 ForteDaysandForteNights

ForteDaysandForteNights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

Don't forget Cincinnati!

Geno Sacks and Michael Johnson should have another stellar year and Dre Kirkpatrick returns from injury. I'd probably put them somewhere in your tier 2-3.

#7 FFCollusion

FFCollusion

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Don't forget Cincinnati!

You're right, my mistake. I'd toss them in Tier 3 I believe.
I do it for the likes...

#8 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

I just stream pretty much every week so all I'm worried about now is who my Week 1 DST will be.

#9 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

I think Arizona's defense could surprise and they face St. Louis week 1.

I like Ray Horton's addition in Cleveland, along with a bunch of nice pieces added to the front 7. I think they could surprise too.

Dallas is another intriguing team imo. They've got 2 great pass rushers in Demarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer and 2 really good CBs in Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne....and Monte Kiffin is bringing the Tampa 2 there that historically I think has been a pretty fantasy friendly system...just look at Chicago and Tampa Bay back in the day, and even Minnesota for awhile was good.
Drafted Josh Gordon 9/2/14
WW Claimed Josh Gordon 9/3/14 (after he was drafted in 6th round and dropped)

#10 Jason497

Jason497

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

Then again Cleveland could easily be this year's Buffalo and disappoint like all hell lol. That's a team I'd put on the watch list and if they have a good week 1 maybe snatch them up. They do face the Dolphins week 1...
Drafted Josh Gordon 9/2/14
WW Claimed Josh Gordon 9/3/14 (after he was drafted in 6th round and dropped)

#11 smeeze

smeeze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

On the flip side, what offenses are you targeting for matchups when streaming DSTs? Oakland, Jacksonville?

12 Team / H2H / Standard Scoring / 3 Keepers / $$$ / (11-4)  IN THE FINALS

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 R/W/T, 1 K, 1 DST

QB - Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, Jay Cutler
RB - Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Ryan Matthews, Frank Gore, Ahmad BradshawStevan Ridley

WR - Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Charles Johnson, Harry Douglas, Marquess Wilson, Brandin CooksBrian Quick

TE  - Greg Olsen, Travis Kelce
K - Cody Parkey
DST - Rams, Dolphins

#12 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

On the flip side, what offenses are you targeting for matchups when streaming DSTs? Oakland, Jacksonville?

Oakland, Jacksonville and definitely the Jets.

$50 12 Team PPR, 11-2(2-0 playoffs, Champion)

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Jeremy Hill

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Martavis Bryant, Shane Vereen, Isaiah Crowell, Josh Gordon, Kyle Orton 

#13 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

I think FFCollusion has a pretty good list there with the addition of CIN.

I typically pick a team that has some good matchups the first few weeks that will be going the last couple rounds, plug them in and forget about it for a few weeks, then stream after that.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 5-8

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Eric Ebron
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09), Heath Miller (10.09)

#14 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Oakland, Jacksonville and definitely the Jets.

Yep. Tampa and NE for me weeks 1 & 2 going against the Jets.

#15 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'll pick a DEF with my next-to-last pick (last pick is for the kicker, even though I'm tempted to "reach" for Blair Walsh since I'm a Vikes fan). I think the usual suspects like SF, SEA, AZ will be good, but not enough for me to try drafting them in the 8th round or something ridiculous like that. Every year there's a few DEFs that click and you can pick them up on waivers and ride them through the rest of the season. Did that with DEN last year and was quite pleased. My plan is to pick a DEF with a decent Week 1 matchup and then watch and see which unclaimed teams get it going over the first three games.

Yahoo League (Going for the Three-Peat!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Greg Jennings, Josh Gordon, LeVeon Bell, Matt Asiata, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Ray Rice, Zach Ertz, LeGarrette Blount

ESPN League (Runner up 2 years running--looking for the win!) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Ben Tate, Frank Gore, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Fred Jackson, Vernon Davis, Larry Donnell, Carlos Hyde

#16 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Another rule with def/st for me is never draft a defense high enough where you feel like you have to keep them through a bye week.
If I ever find myself dropping a offense position flier to pick up a def/st on a bye week I will punch myself in the face.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 5-8

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Eric Ebron
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09), Heath Miller (10.09)

#17 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Chargers finished #6 last year (in FF), although they did have a few big games mixed in with a number of duds. They play the Raiders and Chiefs twice a year. Although it doesn't mean much, they have the 2nd easiest strength of schedule.
http://www.nfl.com/n...hedule-for-2013

I'll draft them in the final round like I always do. Will probably end up dumping them though.

Edited by Prea, 17 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#18 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Chargers finished #6 last year (in FF), although they did have a few big games mixed in with a number of duds. They play the Raiders and Chiefs twice a year. Although it doesn't mean much, they have the 2nd easiest strength of schedule.

I'll draft them in the final round like I always do. Will probably end up dumping them though.

Chiefs will be a much tougher defensive match up this year, Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over and they used the #1 overall pick on an Offensive Tackle which will decrease sacks allowed. On top of the KC upgrades in a pair of games, the Chargers play at PHI, JAC & MIA, all of whom should be improved offensively and overall. That's before the personnel moves in which they've been ravaged: Shaun Phillips & Antwaan Barnes hurt the pass rush right off the bat, but then losing Melvin Ingram to a season long injury in Minicamp was just a cherry on top for the Front Seven which also lost 3 major contributors on the DL in Antonio Garay, Aubrayo Franklin & Vaughn Martin. Better hope Manti Te'o and an completely mispositioned Dwight Freeney can make up for that mess. Then in the Secondary they've added Derek Cox, while letting Antoine Cason, Quentin Jammer and Atari Bigby walk -- all in all not a good offseason for the Chargers' defensive depth chart; appears as if the new Head Coach/GM wanted to clean house for the most part, gonna take a year or two to rebuild.

#19 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

Chiefs will be a much tougher defensive match up this year, Alex Smith doesn't turn the ball over and they used the #1 overall pick on an Offensive Tackle which will decrease sacks allowed. On top of the KC upgrades in a pair of games, the Chargers play at PHI, JAC & MIA, all of whom should be improved offensively and overall. That's before the personnel moves in which they've been ravaged: Shaun Phillips & Antwaan Barnes hurt the pass rush right off the bat, but then losing Melvin Ingram to a season long injury in Minicamp was just a cherry on top for the Front Seven which also lost 3 major contributors on the DL in Antonio Garay, Aubrayo Franklin & Vaughn Martin. Better hope Manti Te'o and an completely mispositioned Dwight Freeney can make up for that mess. Then in the Secondary they've added Derek Cox, while letting Antoine Cason, Quentin Jammer and Atari Bigby walk -- all in all not a good offseason for the Chargers' defensive depth chart; appears as if the new Head Coach/GM wanted to clean house for the most part, gonna take a year or two to rebuild.

Barnes was nonexistant last year. Phillips was decent, but he didn't get much pressure for how much he rushed. Garay was a non-factor last year and wasn't very good the year before either. Franklin was decent but not irreplaceable. Martin was a backup. Secondary will be younger (Cason sucked and Jammer was old), but it's yet to be seen if they'll be better. Bigby was alright but not solid in coverage and whiffed on tackles by going for big hits.

But the OLBs are a concern. Ingram was a huge loss and I'm not too confident in Freeney. And you're right about Alex Smith. I don't necesarily think phi, jac, and mia will be improved though, they all have questionmarks at QB.

The Patriots are another defense I haven't seen mentioned, they finished #2 last year and were fairly consistent iirc. They have the jets, dolphins, and bills in their division. I think Chandler Jones could step up. I like Buchanan who they drafted, although he probably won't contribute right away. I also liked their Logan Ryan and Collins picks. Plus their (usually) solid offense helps their defense out.

Edited by Prea, 17 June 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#20 crusoe

crusoe

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Defense will be my 16th round pick in a 15 round draft. Kicker will be my round 17 pick.