857 replies to this topic

#1 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

A deal between the Celtics and Clippers involving Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers, is reportedly "close to being done very, very soon."

First the Celtics made it clear that they wanted Eric Bledsoe involved in this deal, along with DeAndre and a first round pick for KG and Doc Rivers. Now they are no longer insisting on having Bledsoe apart of the deal as long as the clippers take back expiring contracts of Jason Terry or Courtney Lee.

What is Boston preparing for this summer?

The clippers are definitely going to get an upgrade with KG even though he is not in his prime but is still better than Deandre. Doing this will help cp3 stay in los angeles and be a contender again.

Where will D12 and Josh Smith go?

Let the games begin...

NFL 2014 12-Team League    9th pick Overall Redraft     Record: 5-2        Going for the 3-Peat.. Going to be hard
QB: Aaron Rodgers
WR1: Vincent Jackson         WR2: Julian Edelman            WR3: Kelvin Benjamin
RB1: Demarco Murray          RB2: Zac Stacy
TE: Vernon Davis                      Defense: San Francisco, KC         Kicker: Parkey
Bench: Anquan Boldin, Mark Ingram, Owen Daniels, Branden Oliver, Tre Mason, Ryan Tannehill
NFL 2014 10-Team League    3rd pick Overall Redraft      Record: 4-3       Going for the Repeat
QB: Matt Ryan
WR1: Keenan Allen                  WR2: Victor Cruz  Emmanuel Sanders     WR3: Wes Welker   OBJ

RB1: Jamaal Charles              RB2: Montee Ball
TE: Greg Olsen                         Defense: Philadelphia                Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, Branden Oliver, Torrey Smith, Ryan Tannehill

#2 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

After many offseasons of uncertainty, it seems like Ainge has finally put down the hammer this offseason. The Big 3 era was great, but it truly is unfortunate that they were victims to a major injury every year after winning the championship. Deandre Jordan's fantasy stock will definitely rise if he gets traded to Boston, but from a real life perspective I absolutely hate it. He's way overpaid and even with Boston's system that tends to bring out the best in big men, I'm skeptical he'll live up to the rest of his contract these final two years. Hopefully he's shipped off once again before the season begins for a better rebuilding piece. I really hope Millsap somehow finds his way in Beantown.

In my opinion Dwight is either staying in Los Angeles or moving to Houston. Personally, considering his personality, I think Houston would be his best fit. He needs a big market, but LA has proven to be a little bit TOO big. Besides, LA's backbone is aging, and it didn't seem like he formed the best chemistry with Nash. Houston's octane offense combined with their young core will no doubt offer the best combination of fun and success for Dwight.

As for Josh Smith, I think it's way too early to tell. Things have been quiet on his front, and if he really wants max money, he might end up going to a bad and/or desperate team more willing to make a quick, impulsive decision. A team like Philly, who has shown interest in Smith, comes up to mind.

#3 ginocan

ginocan

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

A coach being traded? That is the most ridiculous and dumbest thing I have ever heard
  • keep it ONE hunnid likes this
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - The G.O.A.T

#4 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Celtics are going in a full rebuilding mode and Ainge has something up his sleeves hes not going to let Garnett or even a Pierce trade go for cheap....even tho their both old and prolly have atleast 1 or 2 more years in them, but their a great fit for a team like the Clippers to contend for the championship next year.Boston wants to get this deal done because they don't want KG to retire in a year or two and get nothing in return, his trade value is high because the team has been on a tear since Rondo went down, realistically they want to get younger for the long run but without Rondo its hard to believe they have a shot to win anything. The Clips are in a win now mode and adding a veteran like KG helps them in a lot of ways, I think its a good move for both sides. I really don't see the use for the Celtics getting Bledsoe in this deal.

#5 gsw

gsw

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think the trade would be awesome and would be a win-win for both sides as well. The Clippers get a top tier coach and secure CP3 for the next 4-5 years. I would take Lee's contract and just stick him in as the starting 2-guard. Then if they trade for Dwight (the Blake+Bledsoe deal that has been discussed), were looking at this potential starting lineup...

PG: CP3
SG: Courtney Lee
SF: Matt Barnes (assuming he resigns)
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Dwight Howard

6th man: Jamal Crawford

That looks like a pretty legit contender to me. There's also a possibility that Pierce could join the Clippers via free agency if the Celtics cut him. Pierce's contract goes from being guaranteed $5 million to 15 million at the end of June. Man, that would be an absurd team!

#6 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Celtics are going in a full rebuilding mode and Ainge has something up his sleeves hes not going to let Garnett or even a Pierce trade go for cheap....even tho their both old and prolly have atleast 1 or 2 more years in them, but their a great fit for a team like the Clippers to contend for the championship next year.Boston wants to get this deal done because they don't want KG to retire in a year or two and get nothing in return, his trade value is high because the team has been on a tear since Rondo went down, realistically they want to get younger for the long run but without Rondo its hard to believe they have a shot to win anything. The Clips are in a win now mode and adding a veteran like KG helps them in a lot of ways, I think its a good move for both sides. I really don't see the use for the Celtics getting Bledsoe in this deal.

Honestly I think the Celtics are better off keeping KG and watch him retire in green, and not have to pay DJ a ridiculous sum (his contract + a 15% trade kicker). Of course, there's always Doc... He's said he'd be open to coaching the C's even after all of this, but whether fans will welcome him back remains to be seen.

I think the C's should absolutely push for Bledsoe in this deal because without him, the C's are getting ripped royally. Keep in mind that one (or both) of the draft picks the Clippers decide to send will likely be late first rounders. KG might be old, but he's worth a hell lot more than a late first rounder and a guy who doesn't deserve to eat 20% of a team's cap space. Sure, they don't need Bledsoe's services, but he's one of the most attractive trade assets in the market right now and they could easily flip him for a piece they really need.

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,908 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Honestly I think the Celtics are better off keeping KG and watch him retire in green, and not have to pay DJ a ridiculous sum (his contract + a 15% trade kicker). Of course, there's always Doc... He's said he'd be open to coaching the C's even after all of this, but whether fans will welcome him back remains to be seen.

I think the C's should absolutely push for Bledsoe in this deal because without him, the C's are getting ripped royally. Keep in mind that one (or both) of the draft picks the Clippers decide to send will likely be late first rounders. KG might be old, but he's worth a hell lot more than a late first rounder and a guy who doesn't deserve to eat 20% of a team's cap space. Sure, they don't need Bledsoe's services, but he's one of the most attractive trade assets in the market right now and they could easily flip him for a piece they really need.

I think the problem at the core is Garnett. He sort of hems and haws about his intentions. The Celtics deserve clarity in the situation. What does he want? To be traded? To stay? To retire rather than stay? For all the conjecture about Garnett's sense of loyalty, age tends to make one a pragmatist. It seems from reading the tea leaves that he would rather go to a contender but he holds no leverage other than the 'retirement' card. I'm with you in that I don't think Jordan can ever really become more than a 20-25 minute rotational player that is a defensive presence, which equals overpaid. Too much of a 5 cent head. So it seems to me that Garnett needs to tell management what he wants and from there they can play their hand. Garnett's trying to have his cake and eat it too. IMO, he wants to be traded, he wants his own personal coach, and he doesn't want to be criticized by the Boston fan base.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think the problem at the core is Garnett. He sort of hems and haws about his intentions. The Celtics deserve clarity in the situation. What does he want? To be traded? To stay? To retire rather than stay? For all the conjecture about Garnett's sense of loyalty, age tends to make one a pragmatist. It seems from reading the tea leaves that he would rather go to a contender but he holds no leverage other than the 'retirement' card. I'm with you in that I don't think Jordan can ever really become more than a 20-25 minute rotational player that is a defensive presence, which equals overpaid. Too much of a 5 cent head. So it seems to me that Garnett needs to tell management what he wants and from there they can play their hand. Garnett's trying to have his cake and eat it too. IMO, he wants to be traded, he wants his own personal coach, and he doesn't want to be criticized by the Boston fan base.....

Are you talking about KG, or are you really talking about Doc?

As of right now, KG has made his position pretty clear. Should Ainge bring it back, KG is open to returning.Should Ainge blow it up but not be able to trade with LA, KG might consider retirement. Should Ainge blow it up and trade with LA, KG can compete for a few more championships near Malibu. IMO the league has become way too much of a player's league, which makes me appreciate KG even more. He's not holding management to his desires and demanding a trade to LA or anything. Management knows the consequences in regards to KG with each route they have right now, but the same can't be said for Doc.

Right now, I'm actually pretty ticked off with Doc. It seems like every offseason, he's contemplating whether to finally let things go and retire so he could spend more time with his family. Then, two offseasons ago, he finally signs an extension which ended that annual charade. Five years seemed like an awfully long time, but Doc said not only did he want to help coach the Big 3 to a few more championship runs, but he also wanted to help the C's once they rebuild. But obviously, it looks he changed his mind quite a bit now that Boston seemingly is preparing to rebuild. Supposedly Doc has reached out to the Clippers to talk about team management. However, Doc has also contemplated staying in Boston. He's also considered flat out retiring, or at least going into the broadcasting booth. The problem at the core is truly Doc. He's the one who is "hemming and hawing" about his intentions. If there's anyone that needs to be more transparent, it's Doc. Not that the C's could take his word without a grain of salt, anyway....

#9 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

KG is more of a professional than Doc will ever be. If you sign a contract I dont care if your a coach or a player you should play it out. Doc was going to retire 2years ago, but the money was sweet and now just because he thinks he cant compete for a ring with the team he's willing to retire or jump ships, classless act by Doc. If I was the fans I wouldn't welcome him back anymore.
  • pfresh likes this

#10 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

KG is more of a professional than Doc will ever be. If you sign a contract I dont care if your a coach or a player you should play it out. Doc was going to retire 2years ago, but the money was sweet and now just because he thinks he cant compete for a ring with the team he's willing to retire or jump ships, classless act by Doc. If I was the fans I wouldn't welcome him back anymore.

Truth be told, I would've welcomed him back without making too much of a fuss. The NBA is a business. He definitely has an extremely close bond to KG, and if he could potentially win another ring with KG, it's understandable why he would even if it wasn't in Boston.

However, my main issue is that every offseason, Doc contemplates coming back or not. This year, when Ainge finally shows signs of starting the inevitable rebuild, Doc decides to bail ship, despite pledging just two years ago that he signed the 5-year contract so he could help guide the rebuilding process. To me, that's not a man of his word, and people who bail like that are cowards in my eyes.

#11 thebeardisfear

thebeardisfear

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Soo... Lebron is a coward, D12 is a coward, cp3 is a coward? According to your synopsis?

Doc believes his career is coming to an end, nothing wrong with him looking for greener pastures to snab one last ring.

#12 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Soo... Lebron is a coward, D12 is a coward, cp3 is a coward? According to your synopsis?

Doc believes his career is coming to an end, nothing wrong with him looking for greener pastures to snab one last ring.

I think you should read my post over. There's a reason I have an issue with Doc's departure, and only Doc's departure. I'm not complaining about KG or anyone else.

Edited by ballsohard, 19 June 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#13 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Yea. True about how doc said he wanted to retire and then signed a long term deal. Now he wants out and apparently talked with Danny ainge last night.

Let's see what will happen as he is going to make his first comments about last nights meeting expected today.

NFL 2014 12-Team League    9th pick Overall Redraft     Record: 5-2        Going for the 3-Peat.. Going to be hard
QB: Aaron Rodgers
WR1: Vincent Jackson         WR2: Julian Edelman            WR3: Kelvin Benjamin
RB1: Demarco Murray          RB2: Zac Stacy
TE: Vernon Davis                      Defense: San Francisco, KC         Kicker: Parkey
Bench: Anquan Boldin, Mark Ingram, Owen Daniels, Branden Oliver, Tre Mason, Ryan Tannehill
NFL 2014 10-Team League    3rd pick Overall Redraft      Record: 4-3       Going for the Repeat
QB: Matt Ryan
WR1: Keenan Allen                  WR2: Victor Cruz  Emmanuel Sanders     WR3: Wes Welker   OBJ

RB1: Jamaal Charles              RB2: Montee Ball
TE: Greg Olsen                         Defense: Philadelphia                Kicker: Matt Prater
Bench: Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, Branden Oliver, Torrey Smith, Ryan Tannehill

#14 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

With a full understanding that free agent Chris Paul wants this deal completed, the Los Angeles Clippers re-engaged the Boston Celtics on the Kevin Garnett-Doc Rivers negotiations on Wednesday afternoon, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://sports.yahoo....-222720148.html

#15 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

Not surprising at all. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the Clippers and it's not surprising at all that their "withdrawal" was simply a leverage tactic.

#16 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Crawford
SF - Paul Pierce
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Kevin Garnett

This would defintitetly be a monster team.

Edited by keep it ONE hunnid, 20 June 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#17 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Crawford
SF - Paul Pierce
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Kevin Garnett

This would defintitetly be a monster team.

I think the Clippers would prefer to keep Crawford in a sixth man role, even moreso now that they're replacing Butler and Jordan in the rotation with two much higher-usage players.

Regardless, that is a nasty team to think about indeed. Pierce and KG might be two of the oldest players in the league, but they're still among the best. LAC's offense easily stagnated if CP3 didn't have the ball last year, but Pierce will solve that issue and more. KG is one of the best defensive anchors out there and really complements Blake's game as his old body drifts more and more to the mid-range game these days. His defensive intensity will really solidify the team defense, and hopefully make Blake tougher and nastier, which he absolutely needs to do. Should this team come to formation, it would be an absolute upset not to have a Clippers/Heat Finals for the next couple years. It's premature by every means, but this wouldn't be the 2013 Lakers that just threw together the biggest, most expensive stars they could find. All the pieces would mesh extremely well for the Clippers, and I'd be very excited to watch them play.

#18 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

Clippers gotta do this, deandre jordan is overpaid and doesn't coexist well with Blake. You can just tell dj thinks he's a lot better than he is.
Barkley had a great quote about him last year. He said you could leave him in a gym by himself overnight and tell him "no dunking" and by morning he'll have 6 points lol

#19 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Is it true Houston's open to trading Thomas Robinson for just a mid-first rounder? I mean, I know they're looking to shed cap space for a run at Dwight, but oh my gawd...

Basically every team with a mid-first rounder needs to pounce as it is. This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime pennies-on-the-dollar trade.

Edited by ballsohard, 21 June 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#20 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Clippers and Celtics agree to deal on Rivers
Posted Image

The Clippers have an agreement in principle for Doc Rivers that includes an unprotected 2015 first-round pick going to the Celtics, according to Yahoo! Sports.

NBA might not allow Garnett to Clippers
Posted Image

The NBA does not intend to budge from David Stern's stance on including players involved in the Doc Rivers deal and would see a subsequent Kevin Garnett deal as connected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users