Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

New to Fantasy, entering Keeper PPR league as an "expansion team" need adviceAllowed 3 "supplemental draft" picks, use them on 3 RBs, mix of RB/WR/QB, or ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 jumper

jumper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hi all,

First of all, I'm new to Fantasy sports so forgive me if I ask a lot of elementary level questions as I'm trying to figure things out.  For background, I've agreed to join an existing PPR "Keepers" auction-draft league for 2013 being run on the Yahoo engine.  Team lineups would be Starting QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex (Q/WR/RB/TE), K, and DEF with 5 bench players, with draft budget of $250.  Additional rules and scoring follow below, they all look fairly standard with the exception of defensive shutouts being valued highly at 25 points.

Now here's the meat of my question.  I'm joining the league as an expansion team growing the league from 8 to 10-12 teams.   Since it's a "Keepers" league, the legacy owners will follow existing rules regarding keepers - up to 3 players for not more than 2 years.  Most will likely make some keeper picks, so there's likely to be 20-24 "keeper" players selected under that rule.  Many have made their selections, and while they're subject to change the current "keeper" mix seems to be 7 x WR, 6 x QB, and 3 x RB.

However, to attract new owners, the league is adjusting the keeper rules for newbie owners like me. New owners will participate in an "Expansion Draft."  We will be allowed to select our own "Keepers" from any player drafted in 2012 that's not on a legacy owner's "Keeper" list. The cost to "draft" a keeper player would be the consensus 2012 pre-season auction price for that player.  For example, I may have the opportunity to draft Marshawn Lynch, Drew Brees, A.J. Green, or lots of other top players at a known and fixed cost.  I'll have the Supplemental Draft #2 pick (of up to 4 potential new owners) in a serpentine draft format.

With that in mind, should I come into the draft with a particular strategy of how to draft?  Should I draft from the top of my board, regardless of position?  Should I attempt to load up on a position (e.g. 3 highly rated running back picks) or do the exact opposite (e.g. pick highly rated at each of QB, RB, and WR positions)?  Or look for the players with the biggest "discount" to current value?

For example, I could theoretically select Jamaal Charles, Marshawn Lynch, and Steven Jackson if I went the all-RB route.  Or I could select Jamaal Charles, Drew Brees, and Demaryious Thomas if I went the mutliple-positions route.  Or look for deep-discount players like Pierre Garcon, whom I could get for $3 and would likely go for well over that in 2013 auction.

Obviously my picks would need to be flexible depending on what the other new owners do in the draft, but do any of these strategies sound like they would work?

League Scoring Rules

Offense League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Completions .25 0
Passing Yards 50 yards per point; 10 points at 400 yards 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 4
Interceptions -2
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point; 10 points at 150 yards
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions 1
Reception Yards 10 yards per point; 10 points at 150 yards
Reception Touchdowns 6
Return Touchdowns 6
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles Lost -2
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
Kickers League Value Yahoo! Default Value
Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3
Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3
Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4
Field Goals 50+ Yards 5
Point After Attempt Made 1
Defense/Special Teams League Value
Sack 1
Interception 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Touchdown 6
Safety 2
Block Kick 2
Points Allowed 0 points 25
Points Allowed 1-6 points 10
Points Allowed 7-13 points 5
Points Allowed 14-20 points 1
Points Allowed 21-27 points 0
Points Allowed 28-34 points -5
Points Allowed 35+ points -10

#2 LDM

LDM

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

if you can flex a QB you need to have the best one available as a keeper, and depending on who else is available you'll want a second one.  if you get 3 keepers you are going to want to spend almost everything on them, and go either QB, QB, RB or QB, RB, RB.  or a combination of these as long as QB is you first position filled.  I can't believe only 6 are being kept.
14 team PPR, IDP, 6pt Pass, 1pt/ 25 Ret Yards

QB  Romo
WR  Antonio Brown, DJax
RB  Charles
TE  Gronk
Flex  MJD, Reggie Bush
K
Ben  Britt, Josh Gordon, Hillman, R Randle, Chris Givens

DB  William Moore, Mark Barron
DL  Greg Hardy, Chandler Jones
LB  Sean Lee, D'Qwell Jackson

#3 jumper

jumper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostLDM, on 17 June 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

if you can flex a QB you need to have the best one available as a keeper, and depending on who else is available you'll want a second one.  if you get 3 keepers you are going to want to spend almost everything on them, and go either QB, QB, RB or QB, RB, RB.  or a combination of these as long as QB is you first position filled.  I can't believe only 6 are being kept.

Thanks for the advice.  Here is the current legacy owners' Keepers list and their prices (QB are in bold):

1. Manning, Peyton   $18
2. Wayne, Reggie   $1
3. Martin, Doug   $22
4. Peterson, Adrian  $30
5. Green, AJ   $42
6. Griffin III, Robert   $11
7. Luck, Andrew  $13
8. Ridley, Stephan  $2
9. Ryan, Matt   $19
10. Harvin, Percy  $23
11. Nelson, Jordy  $28
12. Spiller, CJ  $2
13. Cobb, Randall  $17
14. Amendola, Danny  
15. Richardson, Trent  $34
16. SF Defense  $3
17. Wilson, Russell  $1

Possibles:

18. Bryant, Dez  $27

And here are the QBs which were drafted in 2012 and eligible for me to pick:

Tom Brady  $63

Drew Brees  $69
Eli Manning   $20

Matt Schaub   $11
Michael Vick     $20
Tony Romo  $16
Philip Rivers  $16
Ben Roethlisberger   $11
Jay Cutler    $12
Jake Locker   $2
Josh Freeman   $4
Carson Palmer   $2
Joe Flacco    $2
Andy Dalton   $3
Alex Smith   $1
Christian Ponder   $1

And here are the players drafted in 2011 and thus not available for me to select as a "keeper,"  they will be available as an auction draft selection only:

LeSean McCoy
Ray Rice
Arian Foster
Aaron Hernandez
Brandon Lloyd
Matthew Stafford
Julio Jones
DeMarco Murray
Cam Newton
David Akers
Antonio Brown
Ahmad Bradshaw
Ryan Mathews
Calvin Johnson
Steve Smith
Matt Forte
Darren Sproles
Fred Jackson
Aaron Rodgers

So that being said, is your advice still to pick 2 keeper QBs + RB, or save up funds for a potential bidding war on Aaron Rogers?  For example, for $129 I could select both Drew Brees and Tom Brady with a $27 for Marshawn Lynch or $22 for Jamaal Charles as my 3rd pick for around $150-160 of my total $250 budget.  Or I could pick Lynch, Charles, and a second-tier QB like Eli Manning, Tony Romo, or Joe Flacco for a total spend of $69, $65, or $51 respectively and have ~$100 to bid on Aaron Rogers compared to the Brees/Brady/RB options listed above.