Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Best auction rankings?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 brianboitano

brianboitano

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm finally joining an auction league after doing traditional snake drafting for years, and as a guy who has been reading these forums for a while, I know a lot of you guys do a lot of auctions.

So, to those of you who aren't new to auction drafts, where I could find some good auction values/what are your favorite sets?

Side question: how helpful do you guys actually find AAV data?

#2 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

ESPN actually has decent numbers for reference for both Standard & PPR leagues -- I wouldn't use their numbers as a bible, but they can give you a decent idea of how the numbers should flow when applied to your rankings.

#3 brianboitano

brianboitano

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 21 June 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

ESPN actually has decent numbers for reference for both Standard & PPR leagues -- I wouldn't use their numbers as a bible, but they can give you a decent idea of how the numbers should flow when applied to your rankings.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Once they get their draft kit up for this year I'll take a look at those.

#4 ZidaneValor

ZidaneValor

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Mock auctions are pretty useless unless this is your first year in an auction league and what to see what they're like. Practice the end game and some combinations of players to make sure you spend all your money.

Or if you know a certain guy is going for a certain amount in your league.  In one of my 10-team leagues, I KNOW AP is going for $75+.  The top RB has gone for $75+ every year in this league.  So maybe you bid AP to $75 and then try to draft from there with your remaining $125.

By the way, don't make the same mistake I made my first two years way back when: actually waiting too long and having too much money left over.  If you have more than $1 (maybe $2) left over, you screwed up somewhere.

Also, if you are in a 1-PPR league, you can really wait on WRs.  Last year, Colston went for $9 and $4 in my 2 money-league auctions.  There are always good WR2/Flex options available for $1-$2 late.

I also recommend that if you have your heart set on a guy, that you actually nominate him early.  The reason being, let's say you want Graham and are willing to spend $45 to get him.  You don't have any other TEs valued at more than $25 (you're not a Gronk believer).  I'd nominate Graham with my second choice (first choice people are looking to spend money).  That way, if I don't get him, I can immediately allocate that extra money before all the good RBs are gone and get an "extra" RB2.  You don't want the first 20 RBs off the board that you're hesitant to spend on because you're saving money for Graham (or Player X), and then you don't even end up with that player.  That's how people leave auctions with too much money.

Edited by ZidaneValor, 21 June 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#5 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostZidaneValor, on 21 June 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

I also recommend that if you have your heart set on a guy, that you actually nominate him early.  The reason being, let's say you want Graham and are willing to spend $45 to get him.  You don't have any other TEs valued at more than $25 (you're not a Gronk believer).  I'd nominate Graham with my second choice (first choice people are looking to spend money).  That way, if I don't get him, I can immediately allocate that extra money before all the good RBs are gone and get an "extra" RB2.  You don't want the first 20 RBs off the board that you're hesitant to spend on because you're saving money for Graham (or Player X), and then you don't even end up with that player.  That's how people leave auctions with too much money.

This is actually golden, there are plenty of terrible things that can happen in an Auction, but the worst is to be dead red on a guy and try to "wait him out" for 25-30 bidded players, only to find out 5 other owners were doing the same thing and you get blown out of the water.  Not only have you missed your guy, you've missed 25+ other solid players you could've gotten with that money you were allotting for Graham (for example).

#6 brianboitano

brianboitano

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostRespectMyAuthority, on 21 June 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostZidaneValor, on 21 June 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

This is actually golden, there are plenty of terrible things that can happen in an Auction, but the worst is to be dead red on a guy and try to "wait him out" for 25-30 bidded players, only to find out 5 other owners were doing the same thing and you get blown out of the water.  Not only have you missed your guy, you've missed 25+ other solid players you could've gotten with that money you were allotting for Graham (for example).

That makes perfect sense, thanks for the tip! Does that same strategy translate to lesser-valued people, meaning someone who has a 'suggested value' of less than $5? Or do you guys generally wait a while to put those guys up?

#7 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Cheaper values you want to hold out as long as possible, the goal is to try to get them as your last few players before your fillers.  If you get outbid on them, it's not as killer, because there's not as much money sitting in your balance unused.  If you miss out on a $20 player late and you only have a few roster spots left, but there's only $10 players left then you have a lot of extra $ and no where to use it -- but missing on a $5 guy isn't that bad, because there's gonna be a few players left that are worth at least a $3 or so.

You also should always try to be the last person down to a $1 max bid (i.e. $1 left per remaining roster slot), having even just an extra dollar or two at the end of an auction can be HUGE, because essentially when everyone gets to $1 left the Auction turns into a Draft since no one can bid up to $2 on anyone, basically someone names a player and gets them for $1 -- you want to be that guy who can go $2 (or even $3) on someone you were targeting late.

Edited by RespectMyAuthority, 21 June 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#8 Taltos75

Taltos75

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

my best advice would be: never promote a player you want.  always promote mid level players you don't want.  If you get one for 1$ versus 8-12$ (never happen) its a huge deal.  Use a tier system for each position, and bit hard for the last person available in that tier. I usually 3 rbs in the 10-15 range, 2 qb's in the 6-10 range, 2 TE's in the 4-5 range, 1 top5 Wr, 3 Wrs in the 14-20 range. All my teams completed their drafts (3 drafts) Successfully

#9 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I tend to go into Auctions with a list of high $ guys I don't really want, and try to call then on my turns just to start bleeding the money out of other teams' budgets -- no one will really notice you are doing it enough to use it against you, since the market will determine the price, it's not like other teams will say, "Hey Dave threw this guy out, but he doesn't want him, so we'll all just not bid", fine with me I'll take the guy at a much reduced priced (not a likely scenario).

The harder part is at the end when you are trying to squeeze out one more player that you want for $2 (you are saving that extra $1 so that when someone else calls your player, you can grab them for $2) -- when you are in this range, it's very difficult to determine who you are going to call for bid, because when you have $2 max bid, you don't want to call you player for $1, but you also don't want to call your player for $2 -- so until it's your last roster slot, I'm looking to call guys that may get bid on by others, but I wouldn't mind getting for $1 (once you are at your last roster slot, obviously there's nothing to do but call your guy for $2 and pray no one goes $3).