323 replies to this topic

#1 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

It's now his team now, further more, all KG, PP are gone as well. Him (and Green) can do some serious damage now. 18-7-12 season up for grab?
  • dewaser likes this

9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Kimba Walker, Foye, 
F - Trevor Ariza, Tyreke Evans, Markieff Morris, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Perry Jones

C - Al Jefferson, Blake Griffin, Amir Johnson, Channing Frye

#2 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

I think this thread is way too premature. There are a whole bunch of questions that need to be answered:

With the C's in full rebuild mode, does Ainge keep Rondo around for the next era?
If so, how does Ainge fill out the rest of the roster?
If not, where does Rondo get traded to?
Will Rondo be ready for Opening Night, regardless of who he's playing for?
Will Rondo return at an appropriate time, or will his over-competitiveness cause him to return early and aggravate his knee?
Will Rondo's game change post-injury, if at all?
How will Rondo's attitude be affected if he stays on a miserable C's team?

Again, way too many factors swirling around him right now and it's way too early to say anything.

#3 rocko

rocko

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Trade rondo? Why? His attitude probably will be an issue but why would they not want to build around him?

#4 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Trade rondo? Why? His attitude probably will be an issue but why would they not want to build around him?

You'd think that would be the obvious option, but now that Ainge foolishly acquired 3 years of Gerald Wallace, there's absolutely no way Boston gets anything done with rebuilding in those 3 years. Rajon Rondo is 27 years old right now and in his prime. The kid is a winner and there's no way he's going to be content with losing during three of his most productive years. Rondo has 2 years left on his contract, and you can't help but wonder why he would resign with a team who would rather go through an extensive rebuild rather than retool quickly around Rondo and Green. Unless Ainge seriously works up something magical with Wallace, sooner or later he's going to have to consider trading Rondo so he can get some assets rather than risk him walking away for nothing.

#5 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

You'd think that would be the obvious option, but now that Ainge foolishly acquired 3 years of Gerald Wallace, there's absolutely no way Boston gets anything done with rebuilding in those 3 years. Rajon Rondo is 27 years old right now and in his prime. The kid is a winner and there's no way he's going to be content with losing during three of his most productive years. Rondo has 2 years left on his contract, and you can't help but wonder why he would resign with a team who would rather go through an extensive rebuild rather than retool quickly around Rondo and Green. Unless Ainge seriously works up something magical with Wallace, sooner or later he's going to have to consider trading Rondo so he can get some assets rather than risk him walking away for nothing.

Man, I can't imagine Rondo being happy about wasting away 2 years of the team friendly contract he signed, only to see the money saved go to Gerald Wallace. Having him is basically like paying Rondo and Green max contracts.

#6 tron34

tron34

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

The thing that people always want from Rondo first are a ton of assists, so I think that part of his potential monster production hinges on how well Olynyk plays. If teams just focus on taking away Green, Rondo's jump shot is going to have to get even better and others will have to step up. Also depends on how well he recovers, since what was it, December when he tore it? Rubio had said that mentally he was fine when he came back, but just gradually regaining all the explosiveness took a little time.
"How bad is it for Larry Fitzgerald that when he finishes pre game, that's the best part of his day?"- Mike Golic

#7 KnicksSeasonTix23

KnicksSeasonTix23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

I think Ainge, if he is trully going into all out tank mode, will move rondo and force the team to take wallace as well.

That is about all I can make of this. Rondo is at his peak right now and likely will be for a few more years, but with how truly awful the celtics are now and for 3-5 years, their oldest player should be at Rondo's age, not their star guard.

I think Ainge, if he is not as dumb as he appears to be, will move rondo plus wallace for an unprotected first round pick that will definitely be a lottery pick, and then have 2 great chances at Andrew Wiggins. I am assuming Ainge is all in on the Wiggins sweepstakes, but trading rondo for high picks will prove it.
I am he who is called I am.

#8 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Im a little worried about Rondo on next year unless the Celtics sign a big time scorer FA. I think his offensive deficiencies will become more glaring if he has to be a primary scorer, and he has the least talent around him in a long time. Will Rondo remain the leagues top assist man with Green and Bradley as his top options to dish to?
10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#9 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Rondo will dominate the ball, but aside from Jeff Green, maybe Lee, and to a certain extent crash, how will Rondo duplicate his assist numbers?
  • aaa1 likes this

#10 dotslasher

dotslasher

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

I would love to have Rondo on the Lakers.
LA needs a speedy up tempo guard.

Nash is still decent and I have nothing but respect for him, but he's almost 40.

A trade with Gasol for Rondo would work money wise I think. But Nash should find a destination as well.
This could persuade Howard to stay and make their final run for a ring with Kobe.
When Kobe retires you have a nice core to build upon: Howard and Rondo.

They won't win many free throw shootouts though :D

But meh, just wishful thinking. I always loved Rondo's game and the lakers always had problems containing speedy PGs in the Playoffs. Fisher held his own many years during their championship runs but the likes of Westbrook, Rondo, even JJ Barea couldn't be contained.

But hey, I'm a Laker fan obviously :)

#11 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think Ainge loves Rondo too much to trade him. I feel as though he may try to pawn off Wallace's contract to a contender. I don't see how the Celts can trade anything besides Rondo to have a chance to draft Wiggins. Too big of a risk for Ainge. With all the reports about Rondo having issues with Doc and the Big 3 and he still sticks around, it speaks volumes to me that he wants to build around him.

It makes no sense to me that Rondo is trying to rush back for training camp. he tore his ACL before feb, so logic says he needs a year to recover. ainge shouldn't allow his franchise player to rush back and risk getting hurt again, since he's the biggest asset on the team. derrick rose didn't even make it back for the playoffs for the bulls in a year. rondo taking his time is the perfect opportunity for the celts to tank and ensure a top 3 draft pick next year. Wiggins is the clear #1 pick, but there are a few others who could be franchise altering, like Marcus Smart, Jabari Parker, and Julius Randle. Rondo needs the long term vision to carry through by taking his time to get back to 100% and letting the C's suck this year so that he gets a great player to play alongside with right away. if ainge doesn't keep Rondo in check, he ought to lose his job. he's never been a great GM to begin with. one favor from an ex-teammate and he gets KG for almost scraps.

#12 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I think the assists worry is a non-factor. Vasquez got 9 assists per game on the Hornets last year. Granted, they had some legitimate offensive weapons, but Rondo is far smarter and the better playmaker. He'll make do with a slashing Bradley, a versatile Green, and pick-and-rolls with Sully and Olynyk. Furthermore, with all the veterans off the team and Doc's strict offense out of the question, maybe this is the year Rondo is finally able to run with a young, athletic core. I remember there was a game a few years back where Rondo racked up 4 or 5 assists in a matter of 3 minutes with JaJuan Johnson and Chris Wilcox of all people, because that was a lineup Boston could afford to run with. With all the talk that Rondo's assist numbers were "inflated" thanks to playing next to three future HOF-ers, it really cannot be stressed enough how much a strict halfcourt offense DEPRESSED his full potential. It'd be a major surprise to me if Rondo doesn't continue averaging double-digit assist numbers.

Edited by ballsohard, 29 June 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#13 TxBoy85

TxBoy85

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've read a rumor that Dallas has discussed acquiring him. While I know this is a longshot it would be nice to have a stud PG after a mix of Fisher,Collison and Mike James recently.

#14 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Dallas makes the most sense. They have young pieces (Crowder, Larkin), expiring contracts (Marion), future first rounders, and cap space for C's to shed salary. Meanwhile, with CP3 locked in with the Clippers, the Mavericks come up with the next best star PG they can get, and a very attractive piece to further entice Dwight.
  • micyukcha likes this

#15 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't see where everyone is thinking Ainge will trade Rondo. He's got a nice contract, is one of the best facilitators in the game, and could lure other quality free agents to the team. If Ainge trades him, having all the money in the salary cap would not entice elite free agents to come. Boston is not an attractive destination for superstars. KG and Ray Allen came because of their connections to Pierce prior to the NBA. Without one big chip in the franchise, the ship will be sunk. The only other hope would be to do what the Thunder had done, which is absolutely suck for 4 years and draft a few potential superstars. But from what we've seen with other terrible teams lately, the Thunder are the exception to the rule as Cleveland, Charlotte, Washington, Sacramento, and Toronto are still terrible with several top draft pick spots.

Edited by bigge2win, 29 June 2013 - 03:06 PM.

• ballsohard likes this

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't see where everyone is thinking Ainge will trade Rondo. He's got a nice contract, is one of the best facilitators in the game, and could lure other quality free agents to the team. If Ainge trades him, having all the money in the salary cap would not entice elite free agents to come. Boston is not an attractive destination for superstars. KG and Ray Allen came because of their connections to Pierce prior to the NBA. Without one big chip in the franchise, the ship will be sunk. The only other hope would be to do what the Thunder had done, which is absolutely suck for 4 years and draft a few potential superstars. But from what we've seen with other terrible teams lately, the Thunder are the exception to the rule as Cleveland, Charlotte, Washington, Sacramento, and Toronto are still terrible with several top draft pick spots.

Excellent post. With guys like Rondo, Green, Sullinger, Bradley, and Lee around, they are not in a situation to just tear everything down. Especially when Rondo and Green are entering the primes, and all 5 of them on very favorable contracts, they're in great shape to collect solid FAs this offseason and the next, and remain competitive. Unfortunately, the 2014 draft is simply too enticing. Ainge needs to consider all his options, and if a good enough offer floats his way for Rondo, he has to consider it. Personally, I prefer we keep Rondo, but if he goes, I'll be following him until the day he retires.

Edited by ballsohard, 29 June 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#17 bigge2win

bigge2win

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Excellent post. With guys like Rondo, Green, Sullinger, Bradley, and Lee around, they are not in a situation to just tear everything down. Especially when Rondo and Green are entering the primes, and all 5 of them on very favorable contracts, they're in great shape to collect solid FAs this offseason and the next, and remain competitive. Unfortunately, the 2014 draft is simply too enticing. Ainge needs to consider all his options, and if a good enough offer floats his way for Rondo, he has to consider it. Personally, I prefer we keep Rondo, but if he goes, I'll be following him until the day he retires.

I'm hoping Rondo takes the full year or longer to recover from the ACL injury and Wallace gets hurt for most of the year, so that the Celts are in the bottom. Then 2 weeks before the trade deadline, Wallace performs and a contender will take him for draft picks. I want the Celts to suck hard this one year so that we land Wiggins or a top 4 pick, which could lead to another 1-2 top free agent signings in 2014. Then presto chango, the Celts are back in just one year of tanking and still keep their floor general.

#18 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'm hoping Rondo takes the full year or longer to recover from the ACL injury and Wallace gets hurt for most of the year, so that the Celts are in the bottom. Then 2 weeks before the trade deadline, Wallace performs and a contender will take him for draft picks. I want the Celts to suck hard this one year so that we land Wiggins or a top 4 pick, which could lead to another 1-2 top free agent signings in 2014. Then presto chango, the Celts are back in just one year of tanking and still keep their floor general.

That would be ideal, but Rondo is way too much of a competitor to pull a Rose in my opinion.

#19 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Rondo shot a putrid 36.5% on isolation plays last year, he was 39.6% the year before. If Rondo's gonna have a big offensive year, he needs to become more efficient in ISOs. Could be a lot more of that depending on the coach and how the roster shapes up
10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#20 TxBoy85

TxBoy85

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

The Dallas fan in me would love to see Dwight and Rondo come to Dallas. The basketball fan in me thinks a Dirk/Dwight/Rondo combo would be an absolutely filthy trio to watch play together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users