Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

C.J. McCollum 2013-2014 Season OutlookOne-two punch with Lillard?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 JetCityPersian

JetCityPersian

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Interests:Jet-Propelled

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Okay, okay, it's a bit early.  I'm in excited Blazers fan, and I am already thinking about this.  The Blazers clearly are intent on giving C.J. minutes and a healthy role.  He should get a lot of run, even if he's coming off the bench.  

Might we be looking at pre-injury Louis Williams output?  Or perhaps the more erratic production of this year's healthy Dion Waiters is a better expectation?

My observations of CJM are mostly from highlight reels, although I did watch him paste Duke (and became a fan like many others).

What do my fellow Rotoworlder's think of this addition to a young and talented Portland squad?

#2 Sportslife

Sportslife

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Lillard's value should take a hit. I see CJ being a 13-15 ppg off the bench.

#3 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'm pretty high on McCollum. I think he's definitely one of those guys that doesn't end up being a star, but solid enough to make this draft exceed its low expectations. I like your comparisons with Williams or Waiters, since CJM is going to enter a prime opportunity to be a primary gunner off the bench as a backup combo guard, especially with the Blazers committing to not resigning Maynor. With this pick, I think the Blazers have pretty much locked down their guard depth. Between Lillard, Matthews, and McCollum, they have an excellent, young three-man guard rotation, with Will Barton providing a solid prospect waiting in the wings as well.

#4 JetCityPersian

JetCityPersian

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,026 posts
  • Interests:Jet-Propelled

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postballsohard, on 28 June 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

I'm pretty high on McCollum. I think he's definitely one of those guys that doesn't end up being a star, but solid enough to make this draft exceed its low expectations. I like your comparisons with Williams or Waiters, since CJM is going to enter a prime opportunity to be a primary gunner off the bench as a backup combo guard, especially with the Blazers committing to not resigning Maynor. With this pick, I think the Blazers have pretty much locked down their guard depth. Between Lillard, Matthews, and McCollum, they have an excellent, young three-man guard rotation, with Will Barton providing a solid prospect waiting in the wings as well.

Yeah, I almost feel like they have too many prospects at guard - good problem to have!  Crabbe has a lot of potential to contribute too, and may be the long term solution at SG if he can develop his defensive game.

#5 tron34

tron34

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

I like the situation since him and Lillard texted everyday for awhile now, so there's already a bond there. I think the Blazers are desperate for a couple guys to come off the bench and be productive breathers so their starters don't have to play 40 minutes a night. Maybe a solid 25 minutes a night of the bench in a JR Smith type role where he is expected to be the lead man on the second unit.
"How bad is it for Larry Fitzgerald that when he finishes pre game, that's the best part of his day?"- Mike Golic

#6 KillaPetehog

KillaPetehog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

This guy could be a big-time sleeper this year. I think he's coming close to returning.

#7 Hot N Sour Soup

Hot N Sour Soup

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostKillaPetehog, on 05 December 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

This guy could be a big-time sleeper this year. I think he's coming close to returning.

Too early. I think next year. I don't think he'll play over Mo.
12 Team League, H2H, 9 cats: 113-65-2 (1st) +4.5 (Final Standings)

FG% (7-13), FT%(13-7), 3PTM(17-3), PTS(16-4), REB(13-6-1), AST(16-4), ST(14-5-1), BLK(10-10), TO(7-13)

PG: C. Paul, K. Lowry
SG: J. Harden, T. Evans, N. Young
SF: N. Batum, K. Middleton
PF: K. Love, C. Bosh, J. Hil
C:  M. Gasol, O. Asik, B. Wright

#8 KillaPetehog

KillaPetehog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostHot N Sour Soup, on 05 December 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostKillaPetehog, on 05 December 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Too early. I think next year. I don't think he'll play over Mo.

You're right. I just posted this more because he's getting closer from his injury.

http://www.blazersed...ed-in-one-month

He was injured on October 6th and today we're at December 5th. He's going to get a scan sometime this week or next week.

It took him 3 months after his previous injury to get to "full speed"

http://espn.go.com/n...ll-speed-injury

#9 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

Good news.

Injured rookie guard C.J. McCollum (foot) is expected to make his NBA debut shortly after New Year’s Day, a source told Yahoo Sports.

Source: http://fansided.com/...r-season-debut/

#10 iowncrazyhair

iowncrazyhair

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts
  • Interests:ΛVICII ◢◤

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

Huge help for the bench
This year, we all know it's been a real rough year for us right? So what I'd like everybody to do is to really just sit back and just absorb this year. Take it all in. Sit back, watch, listen, and hear all the hate that's being thrown at us and remember every person that's kicking you when you're down because next year it ain't gonna be this way.

Appreciate it now. Let it sit in now, because revenge is sweet and it's quick.

#11 BoozerDPOY

BoozerDPOY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

He's a major chucker. See him averaging something like 11 PPG off the bench IF he fully settles into a rotation role on about 39% shooting

#12 swaggyp

swaggyp

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

flier in deeper leagues?
18 team H2H, Standard 9 CAT (defending champ)
2 G, 2 F, 1 C, 2 Util
G - Sessions,  Knight
G/F - Batum, J Butler, D Green
F - T Young, J Green , T Harris, Harkless
C - Sullinger

"If you meet buddha in the lane, feed him the ball"

#13 TheMamba42

TheMamba42

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

I would think so, as soon as we get news of a confirmed debut. McCollum can score and could really boost the 2nd unit.

Obviously it will take time to get back in shape/adjust to the nba and his role. It might be bumpy for a while, but barring any setbacks with his foot, I wouldn't be surprised to see him reduce Mo Williams to an afterthought by season's end.
10 Team Yahoo League (16 roster spaces + 1 IR)
7 CATS: 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, TO, BLK, STL (No FG%, No FT%)

PG: J.Teague, D. Lillard, M. Conley, V. Oladipo, M. Chalmers, D. Collison
SG/SF: P. George, J. Butler, K. Martin, V. Carter, E. Bledsoe
SF/PF: R. Gay, D. Carroll
PF/C: C. Frye, P. Millsap, G. Monroe

IR: J. Crawford
Streamer Spots: V. Carter, D. Collison
Injured Players (Active Roster): None

(Lost Derrick Rose......RIP) (Lost Larry Sanders......RIP)

#14 x_Nemesis_x

x_Nemesis_x

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

The Blazers assigned C.J. McCollum (foot) to the D-League on Wednesday.

He is expected to be available for games on Jan. 3 and 4 for the Idaho Stampede. McCollum has been out all season with a fracture in his foot and he was cleared for full contact last week. The move makes a lot of sense with the Blazers owning one of the most solid NBA rotations, so this will give him a chance to develop. No player attempted more shots per game in summer league, so the rookie will likely have a lot of scoring responsibilities with the Stampede. Once he makes it to the NBA, his minutes figure to be sparse while Mo Williams is healthy.

Source: NBA.com

ESPN Roto League, 18-players  

RANK(1st)  : FG% (18), FT% (14),  3PM(18) ,   REB (18),   AST (18),  STL(16),   BLK (16),  TO (2), PTS (18) , TOTAL PTS  (140)

PG Jose Calderon, Dal PG  
SG James Harden, Hou SG  
SF Nicolas Batum, Por SF,SG
PF Carmelo Anthony, NY SF  
C  Serge Ibaka OKL PF,C
G Dwyane Wade , Mia  SG  
F  Kawhi Leonard, SA SG,SF
UTIL Nikola Vucevic, Orl C,PF
UTIL Ty Lawson , Den PG
UTIL  DeMarre Carroll, Atl SF
Bench Brandan Wright, Dal PF,C
Bench  Caron Butler, Mil SF
Bench Henry Sims, Phi C

#15 millz92

millz92

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

I dont see him being the 6th man as long as Mo Williams is coming off the bench.  He can certainly produce though when giving the minutes as hell be looked to score off the bench.  Next year ill scoop him not sold yet.

#16 playadelrey

playadelrey

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

still long way to go for him, hard to believe that he will be worth to add within a month

#17 KillaPetehog

KillaPetehog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

He's worth a stash in 9-cat, 14-team+ daily roto leagues. I'm a pretty big fan of this kid and this guy doesn't need 30+ minutes to make an impact. He can play the 1 and the 2 and he can shoot lights-out. He'll overtake Mo by the end of this year but even off the bench he'll shoot enough 3s and score to make an impact.

Edited by KillaPetehog, 02 January 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#18 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

The Oregonian does not expect C.J. McCollum to crack the Blazers' rotation at all this season.
Coming off another fracture in his foot, McCollum will suit up for the D-League's Idaho Stampede on Friday night. He's expected to play a couple games down there and then rejoin the Blazers. But coach Terry Stotts prefers to ride a nine-man rotation and it's rock solid right now with Damian Lillard, Wes Matthews and Mo Williams holding down the three-guard rotation. Stotts has no reason to change things as he boasts a 26-7 record.

Kinda expected isn't it? They're not a rebuilding team so there's no incentive to give a rookie plenty of minutes for his development. He probably needs an injury to crack the rotation. I don't know we'll see.

#19 RCRanger03

RCRanger03

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Mo Williams isn't a longterm investment, eventually his spot will be filled with McCollum. Just not this season, which gives them ample time to make sure he's fully healed (especially given the missteps around the league reinjuring people bring them back early). Next year with Mo Will on an expiring they'll deal him if McCollum shows them what they're hoping for
Post your link in the response and I'll reply with comparable length and depth of analysis on yours. Thanks!
Yahoo Team "Makahaynay Have It All" (H2H 12 Team 9 Cat)
PG - Curry (SG) / MCW / Marshall
SG - Ellis (PG) / Wes Matthews (SF)/ Brandon Knight (PG)
SF - Green (PF) // Greek Freek (SG) / Carroll (SF)
PF - Tobias Harris (PF) / Trevor Booker
C - Ibaka (PF) / Pau (PF) / Hawes (PF)

Ranks Week 10 (2nd Place) FG% - 8th // FT% - 2nd // 3PM - 3rd // PTS - 4th // REB - 3rd // AST - 5th // STL - 7th //  BLK - 1st // TO - 10th
----------
TEXfba ESPN (H2H 12 Team 10 Cat)
PG - Wall, Conley, Burke, Collison
SG - Monta (PG), Wes Matthews (SF)
SF - Hayward (SG), Parsons, Tobias (PF)
PF - Love, Favors ( C )
C - Hawes, Sanders (PF)

Ranks Week 10 (1st Place) FG% - 7th // FT% - 3rd // 3P% - 10th // 3PM - 3rd // PTS - 1st // REB - 2nd // AST - 1st // STL - 3rd //  BLK - 4th // AST:TO - 2nd

#20 swaggyp

swaggyp

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

13 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists,and 2 steals in 17 min in d league debut. looked great! hopefully he does crack the roation and overtakes mo williams or better yet mo gets hurt likie he always does
18 team H2H, Standard 9 CAT (defending champ)
2 G, 2 F, 1 C, 2 Util
G - Sessions,  Knight
G/F - Batum, J Butler, D Green
F - T Young, J Green , T Harris, Harkless
C - Sullinger

"If you meet buddha in the lane, feed him the ball"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users