Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

2013 July Closers Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1241 replies to this topic

#1 posty

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,072 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Could be interesting towards the end of the month...

#2 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

What are the chances Bailey gets the job back?
www. drafttracker.net

#3 mudrummer

mudrummer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Three straight clean outings by Wilhelmsen - have to think he is getting close to gaining the role back but have not seen any blurbs about it. Anyone hear anything on this yet?
12 Team, Roto, standard categories with IP replacing K's

C: Ramos, Mesoraco, Santana, Grandal
1B: Goldschmidt, Rizzo
2B: Pedroia, LeMahieu, Wong
SS: Villar
3B: Seager
OF: Bruce, Trumbo, Kemp, Aoki, Fowler, Swisher, Duda
UT: Ortiz

SP: Sale, Zimmermann, Lohse, Hudson, Kuroda, Ventura, Cashner, Odorizzi, Kelly, Volquez, Chavez, Peralta
RP: Chapman, Robertson, Santos, Brothers

#4 vthunder

vthunder

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

And what is going on in MIL? A bunch arms but no clear closer.

#5 elsegundo

elsegundo

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

In Milwaukee, it's looking like K-Rod as primary closer until he gets traded. At that point my guess is they would turn it over to either Henderson or Axford. Previously I was thinking Hendo was a lock to take back the gig, but he's had some bad outings so I could see Axford getting back into the mix yet again if Hendo keeps having bad outings.

TD + performance (1 pt. per 20 yds rush/rec, 1 pt. per 50 yds. passing)

QB Stafford, DET; Romo, DAL

RB McCoy, PHI; Spiller, BUF; Asiata, MIN; Ivory, NYJ; McFadden, OAK

WR/TE (flex) J Jones, ATL; Allen, SD; Edelman, NE; T Smith, BAL; Gronkowski, NE; Walker, TEN

K Parkey, PHI

D/ST Denver

#6 Beakman

Beakman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

And what is going on in MIL? A bunch arms but no clear closer.

Wrong!

Sizzling K-Rod back in closer role for Brewers

PITTSBURGH -- Francisco Rodriguez is back in the Brewers' closer role, but manager Ron Roenicke attributed the switch to performance and not to showcasing Rodriguez before the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline.

Read the rest here.

#7 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I love how they call KROD sizzling, even though he blew up badly in his most recent game. How do you manage to give up 3 hits, and 3 walks in 1.1 IP, and not give up more than 1 run?

#8 vthunder

vthunder

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

Glad I dropped Hendo then.

#9 rascal7298

rascal7298

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

How do you manage to give up 3 hits, and 3 walks in 1.1 IP, and not give up more than 1 run?

Skillz.

10 team redraft yahoo league with standard scoring (start QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 Flex, K, D)
QB: Rivers
RB: Charles, Lynch, S Jackson,  J Forsett, K Davis, J Hill
WR: J Nelson, V Jackson, J Edelman, B Cooks, B Quick, R Randle, M Sanu
K: Dawson
Def: Cincy

#10 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I love how they call KROD sizzling, even though he blew up badly in his most recent game. How do you manage to give up 3 hits, and 3 walks in 1.1 IP, and not give up more than 1 run?

That's basically the story of K Rods career.... Even when he was getting 60 saves he was still allowing people to get on base.
No Days Off

#11 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

That's basically the story of K Rods career.... Even when he was getting 60 saves he was still allowing people to get on base.

His career WHIP numbers don't look *that* bad, though.

#12 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

In Milwaukee, it's looking like K-Rod as primary closer until he gets traded. At that point my guess is they would turn it over to either Henderson or Axford. Previously I was thinking Hendo was a lock to take back the gig, but he's had some bad outings so I could see Axford getting back into the mix yet again if Hendo keeps having bad outings.

agree 100% and I'd rather hold Axford than Henderson if I was using a bench stash. Still funny to look back at people's reactions to me saying KRod would keep the job during the "June closers thread"
I back the realest and original Polanco :-)

#13 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

agree 100% and I'd rather hold Axford than Henderson if I was using a bench stash. Still funny to look back at people's reactions to me saying KRod would keep the job during the "June closers thread"

Ok dude...we get it...you were right. Here I am giving you a virtual pat on the back. Does that make you feel better or are you going to mention it again on the next page?

#14 DK64MASTER

DK64MASTER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Ok dude...we get it...you were right. Here I am giving you a virtual pat on the back. Does that make you feel better or are you going to mention it again on the next page?

Hey Neymar, PPolanco was right. Why don't you shower praise on him.

#15 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

lol. understood

#16 Beakman

Beakman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

You think that's funny, check out the Kevin Slowey thread!

#17 PPolanco

PPolanco

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

nice

#18 techmd

techmd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

uh, congratulations?
H2H, 12 Team, ReDraft, 1st Pick, 6x6 OPS, Reg Season Champ
C: Santana (7.1)
1B: Goldschmidt (3.1)
2B: Phillips (4.12)
SS: Segura
3B: Miggy (1.1)
OF: J. Upton (2.12), OF: Choo (6.12), OF: Gordon (8.12)
Uti: C.Davis (11.1), Uti: Rizzo (t)
BN: R. Davis
SP: Scherzer (t), Grienke(5.1), H.Bailey(14.12), Kluber, Ryu(16.12), Cole
RP: Perkins(15.1), Mujica, Cishek(17.1), Farquhar, Hawkins, Melancon

#19 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm sure people won't agree with me on this, but this Wilhelmsen thing feels eerily similar to the situation we saw last year with League.

League had been a solid closer, then completely loses it, and then started pitching better. Then he gets sent packing to LA.

Wilhelmsen meanwhile takes over and never looks back.

NOW, this year Wilhelmsen's timing is slightly earlier than League, but Medina and Perez have pitched fairly well in some tight spots. The difference, to me, is that there haven't really been save opportunities generated to get some clarity on this situation. I still lean Medina (say 50%), but Wilhelmsen is pitching himself back (20%) and Perez still looms (30%).

#20 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

And if ANYTHING happens to Casey Jansen, Steve Delabar has ridiculous potential as a closer, IMO. He just mowed right through Hunter, Miggy, and Fielder, striking out all three.

He's now retired the last 9 men he's faced via K.

For the year that's 57 Ks in 40 IP.