36 replies to this topic

#1 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken didn't they draft a 'S'F' first round? I thought they really needed a pg, but didn't go that route at all....Are they maybe giving up on Granger?

#2 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Indiana is a championship contender. They definitely need a backup PG, but they're not going to look for a rookie in the draft. They need someone who can come right in with veteran experience and lead their second unit. With a plethora of bargain PGs available this offseason, there's absolutely no need for them to waste their first round pick on an inexperienced PG.

I really don't think drafting Solomon Hill necessarily spells the end of Granger. Aside from PG depth, they don't have any other gaping holes. They do have plenty of things they could upgrade, and I think with Granger's injury issues and Gerald Green's clear inability to be an effective contributor, I guess they saw Hill as a good guy to round out their wing depth. I guess it could be argued that they could upgrade their backup bigs in Hansborough and Mahinmi, but with a late first rounder, I really don't think there were any instant contributors to be had other than maybe Jeff Withey.

Really, the only thing the Pacers need this offseason is for their core to continue gaining chemistry and experience, and for their young cornerstones to make the next leap (George & Hibbert). I doubt they had high expectations for the draft at all, and I certainly don't think it was a disappointing one.

#3 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Not surprisingly, the Pacers just got their backup PG in CJ Watson. I think it's a pretty solid signing by the Pacers, and they look primed to be contenders once again next year.

#4 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

They got bashed for the Hill pick, but it wasn't likely that they were going to get a major rotation player out of that spot so they took a guy they liked. It has nothing to do with Granger. I find it unlikely they will be able to get any value out of trading Granger so I see him being on the team next year. If he would be willing to take a role as an offensive spark off the bench, he could be a huge difference maker for them. They were forced to play George, Hibbert, and West a lot because their scoring when those guys weren't on the floor was atrocious against playoff teams. When Granger's contract expires after this year, he's gone unless he takes a HUGE pay cut.

I look for them to bring West back on another short-term contract and that will probably be the only big splash they make this year. Past that, once Granger comes off of the books it will allow them to make a run at a FA next off-season.

#5 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

One of the local radio sports hosts said it best...the Bulls and Pacers may have had the best draft of all the teams in the league. The Bulls get a player named Derrick Rose, who should be a top point guard in the league, and the Pacers get a guy named Danny Granger, who should be capable of putting up 15 to 20 points a game. I know, I know. They already had these guys. But, neither factored into either team's success last season. Together, these two teams won 3 play-off seasons between them.

The point being, neither team was counting on the draft for significant contributions and both players have the potential to add more than anyone they could draft.

Bird did make an interesting comment about Granger the other day in saying that they expect him to be able to play but that he still has some issues to resolve. They can't trade him now if they want to. No one will take on his contract, even as an expiring contract, until closer to the trade deadline.

Edited by mbroo5880i, 01 July 2013 - 05:48 PM.

• Code of Hammurabi likes this

#6 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,016 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Scola coming on board???

http://sports.yahoo....-042256047.html
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#7 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

The Pacers have been trying to get rid of Green's contract with a pick since before the draft. Getting a solid big man to back up West will go a long way to keep West fresh and not have such a severe drop-off when the bench unit comes in.

The Pacers are really looking like they could be a contender in the East. Getting Granger back, improving the back-up PG, and the back-up PF position is more than I figured they would be able to do this off-season knowing they are going to have to go max or near max to keep George next year.
  • ballsohard likes this

#8 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 26,016 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

The Pacers have been trying to get rid of Green's contract with a pick since before the draft. Getting a solid big man to back up West will go a long way to keep West fresh and not have such a severe drop-off when the bench unit comes in.

The Pacers are really looking like they could be a contender in the East. Getting Granger back, improving the back-up PG, and the back-up PF position is more than I figured they would be able to do this off-season knowing they are going to have to go max or near max to keep George next year.

Worthy replacement for Hansbrough. If Copeland can provide some scoring off the bench along with getting Granger back and they're better set up for next year. Still have a perimeter shooting problem but they should be better and probably the third best team in the East to start the season.....Getting rid of Green's bust of a contract is probably the big win here.

#9 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Picking up Scola for Green and Plumlee was a solid trade for the Pacers. Scola is very crafty around the basket...I have always considered him a garbage man type player, in a good sense. So they have added both inside and outside scoring for the second team while maintaining their core. Scola, Copeland, Watson, etc. aren't sexy pick ups but they are exactly what the Pacers need.

In addition, all of the adds are quality guys who are professional and are not going to create issues in the locker room. By all accounts, Scola was a team player when demoted to the bench - by all teams, the Suns - last season. He just said he would work hard to get back into the starting lineup.

It seems odd but it takes a certain mentality to be able to be able to start when required to but also to be able to come off the bench. Hansbrough and Augustin just seem to play better as starters. The problem is that neither are really good enough to be starters on good teams.

#10 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

5 of Pacer's back-ups were all starters at one point in the past 2 years. This team is so deep that no ECF is a fail for them.
  • s-kayos likes this

9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Kimba Walker, Foye, 
F - Trevor Ariza, Tyreke Evans, Markieff Morris, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Perry Jones

C - Al Jefferson, Blake Griffin, Amir Johnson, Channing Frye

#11 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

With the new addition, do you guys think this is the year that they could acually defeat Miami Heat? It'll be interesting how Vogel utilizes Evan Turner.

#12 draga

draga

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

I think that they can, but they haven't solved the issues they have with beating OKC. (Big IF OKC makes it that far - which I'm hoping they do.)

#13 Johnnyapplebot

Johnnyapplebot

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

they are the best team in the east right now, better than Miami. Their defense is amazing and their bench is amazing. They have all the tools to beat them right now including the ever so talked about playoff experience. Im sure last year will help them beat the Heat just like the Heat losing in the finals in 2011 helped them win it all in 2012. Can it happen? yes, but will it happen? Who knows. Nobody thought the Spurs would be able to keep up all year last year or even make it to the finals yet they were like 3 seconds away and a miss from ray allen from winning it in 6. Anything can happen but I do love the Pacers chances.
  • s-kayos likes this
Fantasy Basketball 10 team league 11 cat league (standard 9 cat plus FGM and FTM)

Team 1

PG - George Hill, Mike Conley, Goran Dragic
SG - Wesley Matthews, Gordon Hayward, JR. Smith
SF - Paul Pierce, Terrence Jones
PF - Blake Griffin, Amir Johnson, Markieff Morris
C - Brook Lopez, LaMarcus Aldridge, Enes Kanter

Team 2

PG - Jeremy Lin, George Hill, Jrue Holiday
SG - Wesley Matthews, Kevin Martin, Eric Gordon
SF - Thaddeus Young, J.R. Smith
PF - Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh
C - Carlos Boozer, David Lee, Andre Drummond

#14 keep it ONE hunnid

keep it ONE hunnid

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

they are the best team in the east right now, better than Miami. Their defense is amazing and their bench is amazing. They have all the tools to beat them right now including the ever so talked about playoff experience. Im sure last year will help them beat the Heat just like the Heat losing in the finals in 2011 helped them win it all in 2012. Can it happen? yes, but will it happen? Who knows. Nobody thought the Spurs would be able to keep up all year last year or even make it to the finals yet they were like 3 seconds away and a miss from ray allen from winning it in 6. Anything can happen but I do love the Pacers chances.

I dont know if you been watching the Pacers bench players play but they been horrible. With the new addition of Turner & Bynum hope they improve.

#15 Johnnyapplebot

Johnnyapplebot

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

I dont know if you been watching the Pacers bench players play but they been horrible. With the new addition of Turner & Bynum hope they improve.

I must admit I have not but damn Scola, Bynum (albeit limited minutes), Turner, Allen should at least be better than Miami's.
Fantasy Basketball 10 team league 11 cat league (standard 9 cat plus FGM and FTM)

Team 1

PG - George Hill, Mike Conley, Goran Dragic
SG - Wesley Matthews, Gordon Hayward, JR. Smith
SF - Paul Pierce, Terrence Jones
PF - Blake Griffin, Amir Johnson, Markieff Morris
C - Brook Lopez, LaMarcus Aldridge, Enes Kanter

Team 2

PG - Jeremy Lin, George Hill, Jrue Holiday
SG - Wesley Matthews, Kevin Martin, Eric Gordon
SF - Thaddeus Young, J.R. Smith
PF - Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh
C - Carlos Boozer, David Lee, Andre Drummond

#16 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

The addition of Bynum helps by 1.) giving them an athletic big man who when his head is on right is an equal to Hibbert and 2.)keeping that same big man from being a member of the Heat. The Heat's achille's heal is the lack of someone who can defend solid post player. They try to address it by taking Bosh out high, but the threat of two 7-footers on the court at the same time might change that some, as might the ability of having a solid option to send in the game should Hibbert get in foul trouble. Scola helps some as well.

Turner is obviously an upgrade on Granger. The issue is how well he will respond to coming off the bench and getting less minutes.

The key here is the Pacers wanted to put themselves in a position to resign Stephenson. Trading Granger allows that. They can give Turner a trial run and then can either let him walk, or make a qualifying offer and see if anyone tops it. If someone tops their offer, they can match.

I agree that OKC presents the biggest problems. They struggle against teams with quick PGs. Westbrook is a difficult matchup and as good as George is, he can't handle Durant. Of course, no one in the league, outside of Lebron can match up against him.

#17 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

2-6 on last 8 games and just lost the 1st seed to Miami as well.

Not looking good for Pacers.

Snake 6th pick - H2H 14 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: J.Holiday - V.Oladipo

SG: J.Harden - K.C. Pope

SF: T.Ariza - G.Antetokounmpo - D.Gallinari - D.Green (GSW)

PF: C.Bosh - E.Davis

C: M.Gasol - D.Jordan - M.Gortat

Snake 8th pick - H2H 16 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: R.Westbrook - I.Thomas - R.Jackson

SG: E.Bledsoe

SF: N.Batum - M.Barnes - D.Green (GSW)

PF: D.Nowitzki - R.Anderson - M.Plumlee 

C: P.Gasol - K.Olynyk - E.Davis

Auction -  H2H 12 Teamer - 9 Cat (%FG - %FT - 3PM - PTS - REB - AST - STL - BLK - TO)

PG: T.Parker - B.Jennings

SG: D.Wade - K.Martin - J.Johnson

SF: K.Leonard - C.Parsons - L.Deng

PF: D.Nowitzki - M.Morris - T.Jones

C: B.Lopez -  D.Favors

#18 Eternal

Eternal

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

2-6 on last 8 games and just lost the 1st seed to Miami as well.

Not looking good for Pacers.

What happens when their main offensive threat (PG) and their defensive anchor (Hibbert) are both struggling. Miami's closing the gap and are probably going to take the lead. Especially when you compare the remaining games between the two, Miami has it easier.

Edited by Eternal, 01 April 2014 - 02:00 AM.

With the first pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Cleveland Cavaliers choose Mallory Edens

#19 tremixt

tremixt

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

They've been bad since the Granger-Evans trade. Evans may be the better talent, at this point, but Granger was a pretty strong influence in the locker room. Evan Turner has been a bad fit for their second unit, as well. He doesn't understand how to play within the scheme of team basketball. He's taken over the spot from guys like Granger and Orlando Johnson, two players who were better perimeter shooters, didn't need the ball in their hands, and played reasonably well on defense.

I think Indiana is suffering symptoms from what I call "Making too many moves." Turner just hasn't been a good fit and is definitely not the leader Granger was for this team.

#20 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 26,016 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Holy crap! Vogel fired (re-assigned) and Larry Bird is going to coach the team!!!!

Ha, it was AFD joke on PTI. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users