38 replies to this topic

#1 superjew

superjew

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

What's so good about this guy that teams are actively tanking the season to try to get him?  Is he Lebron James level?

#2 JetCityPersian

JetCityPersian

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Jet-Propelled

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

View Postsuperjew, on 03 July 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

What's so good about this guy that teams are actively tanking the season to try to get him?  Is he Lebron James level?

I have only seen Nike hoops summit highlights, but I would say no.  LeBron was already a man-child in high school, a complete freak of nature.  Wiggins looks like a nice kid - a bit skinny.  Good length and quickness.

We may not see another LeBron for a decade or more.

#3 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,463 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

This video should explain some of the hype.  But I want to see him go out and dominate D1 competition next season the way Durant did to fully buy into the hype.  With his talent, there is no excuse for him to not average 22-24 PPG as a freshman next season.

#4 Verlaine

Verlaine

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

he has a movie coming out in November

• w00funk likes this
H2H 12 team, 9 cat

G - Jennings, Lillard, Isaiah Thomas
- Iguodala, Patterson, Henderson
C/F - Brook Lopez, Gortat, Kirilienko, Jeff Green
   - Ilyasova, Andrew Bynum, Pierce

H2h 12 team, 10 cat (oreb)

G - Brandon Knight
- Eric Gordon, Redick, Isaiah Thomas
C/F - Thaddeus Young, Ilyasova,Lebron James, Rudy Gay, JV
   - Pekovic, Marc Gasol, Splitter,Bogut, Nene Hilario

Both teams are struggling

#5 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Good siZe who has excellent handles and great athleticism. Shooting i am not so sure, but that is one of the things that can be taught and developed.

I think it is unfair for woggins to be compared to lbj. But i think worst case, he will be scottie pippen. Anf that is a very high floor

#6 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Also when teams tank next year it is not just for wiggins. It is for randle, parker, harrison, smart. All these guys are projected to make immediate impact for their teams.

#7 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,757 posts
  • Interests:Sports are awesome.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

That highlight video reminds me so much of a Vince Carter high school highlight reel; just the sheer dominance in athletic ability and literally power dunking on anyone and everyone.  I wonder if Air Canada (Carter from his Raptor days) was a favorite of his since he's from Canada.

Here's the Vince Carter high school reel for comparison if you want to watch.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#8 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

View Postsuperjew, on 03 July 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

Well, he's so good that he has a player outlook thread 2 years in advance. So there's that.
  • SenatorSpaceman and christian like this

#9 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Agree with those who have said it's not so much about Wiggins but the overall strength at the top of the class.  Wiggins looks like he could be something special (not on the LeBron level physically), but the top of this class as a whole is loaded.  Getting a top 5 pick will allow a team to take a guy with a definite potential to be a franchise changer.
  • aaa1 likes this

#10 JetCityPersian

JetCityPersian

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Jet-Propelled

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

My extremely ignorant NBA comp for him right now is Paul George.  The handle is much better than I realized (nice vid posted in this thread).  He's lanky like George, and is obviously very athletic.

#11 GJDHouse

GJDHouse

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostJetCityPersian, on 03 July 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

My extremely ignorant NBA comp for him right now is Paul George.  The handle is much better than I realized (nice vid posted in this thread).  He's lanky like George, and is obviously very athletic.

Wiggins is as good as George is right now ... and George has no where near the explosiveness or bounce that Wiggins has.  Not really all that similar other than physical makeup.  George has more of a set shot and gets to the basket by being slippery.  Wiggins is like a tank.  He plays like Lebron, and while his handle isn't nearly as good, and I can't imagine his vision is either, his scoring game is very much patterned after Lebron's.  Vince Carter is another great comp.

Wiggins is going to be an immediate superstar and is worth tanking for.

#12 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostGJDHouse, on 05 July 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Wiggins is as good as George is right now ... and George has no where near the explosiveness or bounce that Wiggins has.  Not really all that similar other than physical makeup.  George has more of a set shot and gets to the basket by being slippery.  Wiggins is like a tank.  He plays like Lebron, and while his handle isn't nearly as good, and I can't imagine his vision is either, his scoring game is very much patterned after Lebron's.  Vince Carter is another great comp.

False.  Paul George with a bunch of scrubs wouldn't have lost 3 HS games this season.  Much less with a bunch of other D1 prospects.

#13 lbjames6

lbjames6

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

View Postnickalero99, on 05 July 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostGJDHouse, on 05 July 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

False.  Paul George with a bunch of scrubs wouldn't have lost 3 HS games this season.  Much less with a bunch of other D1 prospects.

I've heard that Wiggins' motor is a bit questionable. He doesn't give it his all if he feels he doesn't have to. Not sure of the validity of that but just some food for thought.
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team Standard (0-0-0)
QB - Matthew Stafford
WR - Julio Jones, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace
RB - Eddie Lacy, Rashad Jennings
TE - Jordan Reed
Flex - Ben Tate
K - Dan Bailey
DST - Philadelphia (Stream)
Bench - Jeremy Hill, DeAndre Hopkins, Jarrett Boykin, Danny Woodhead, Jonathan Dwyer*, Josh Gordon*

* - Waiver pickup
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team Standard (0-0-0)
QB - Matthew Stafford
WR - Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Reuben Randle
RB - LeSean McCoy, Ben Tate
TE - Kyle Rudolph
Flex - Joique Bell
K - Shayne Graham
DST - Philadelphia* (Stream)
Bench - Bernard Pierce, Jarrett Boykin, Knowshon Moreno, Cody Latimer, James Starks, Jonathan Dwyer*

#14 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

wait wait wait  did someone just say Wiggins is better than George when he hasnt even played a single college game yet. you mean to tell me hes better than an nba all star who led the pacers to the eastern conference finals? what the :blink:
  • raps12345 and KaayroMAN like this
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member   Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#15 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,463 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

If you compare Wiggins at 18 years old to Paul George at 18 years old, then the comp wouldn't even be close.  Paul George at 18 was a lightly recruited prospect who played two years at Fresno State.  He then had two years as a role player and then became an All-Star.  Wiggins at 18 is light years ahead of George at the same age.

Wiggins' ceiling is to be one of the top 3 players in the game with LeBron and Durant.  While Paul George is a very good young player, his ceiling is not close to that.

#16 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Does Wiggins profile better than Anthony Davis or Kyrie Irving?
I play fantasy sports

#17 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,463 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Postcrazy47larry, on 05 July 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Wiggins is a better prospect than Kyrie or AD were.  This guy has every tool imaginable to become an elite NBA player.  Size, strength, explosiveness, speed, ball handling.  The guy who is probably going to go #2 this year, Julius Randle, is arguably a better prospect than Kyrie or Davis were as well.  Here's a video of Randle.

Edited by mjk356, 05 July 2013 - 12:30 PM.

• keep it ONE hunnid likes this

#18 Ukraine Spuds

Ukraine Spuds

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if Randle dominates next year at Kentucky and becomes the #1 overall pick.

#19 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

View Postmjk356, on 05 July 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Wiggins is a better prospect than Kyrie or AD were.  This guy has every tool imaginable to become an elite NBA player.  Size, strength, explosiveness, speed, ball handling.  The guy who is probably going to go #2 this year, Julius Randle, is arguably a better prospect than Kyrie or Davis were as well.  Here's a video of Randle.

Its just so hard for me to put any prospect up on that pedestal next to LeBron and KD. I would be more than satisfied to see him next to Irving and Davis, let alone that pair. I guess this has the makings of the 2003 draft all over again. Wiggins/Randle/Parker/Smart all primed to be the next generation.
I play fantasy sports

#20 SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,689 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postnickalero99, on 05 July 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Paul George with a bunch of scrubs wouldn't have lost 3 HS games this season.  Much less with a bunch of other D1 prospects.

But it's not like he was only playing against kids who work at Popeyes in the offseason. They played a number of teams that were full of AAU superstars and D1 recruits.

Yes, absolutely.

View Postcrazy47larry, on 05 July 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Wiggins/Randle/Parker/Smart all primed to be the next generation.

Yep. Are you ready?

I'm already excited about these high school kids. They seem ready to shine right NOW. Wiggins could be the next face of the league, we all know about him. Randle is an exceptional specimen with ridiculous talent that would be the #1 pick in almost any other draft. Parker is a great kid with a great pedigree who some believe may stay at Duke for more than one season but I feel like that wouldn't be fair to NBA fans or every other team in the ACC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users