65 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Let's talk handcuffs.  First, do you believe in making sure your RBs are protected?  We know the more obvious handcuffs like Tate to Foster, Pierce to Rice, Brown to McCoy but who are some not so obvious ones.  Who should owners make sure to grab.  Doesn't necessarily have to be RB either.  I think its imperative for Nicks owners to grab Randle.

#2 smeeze

smeeze

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'm keeping Ridley and I'm making damn sure I grab Vereen.
10 Team / H2H / 5x5

C Carlos Santana
1B Adrian Gonzalez
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Edwin Encarnacion
SS Starlin Castro
OF Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Melky Cabrera
UTIL Mike Napoli, Adam Eaton
BN Desmond Jennings, Dee Gordon, Billy Butler

SP Stephen Strasburg, Felix Hernandez, Chris Sale, Andrew Cashner
P Jordan Zimmermann, Matt Garza, Dan Straily, Drew Smyly
P Corey Kluber, Tanner Roark, Jenrry Mejia
RP Jim Henderson, Ryan Cook
DL Doug Fister
NA Archie Bradley

#3 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Value Pak: BJGE, Bernard, Bernard, Nard Dog
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#4 JHM_13

JHM_13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 04 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Let's talk handcuffs.  First, do you believe in making sure your RBs are protected?  We know the more obvious handcuffs like Tate to Foster, Pierce to Rice, Brown to McCoy but who are some not so obvious ones.  Who should owners make sure to grab.  Doesn't necessarily have to be RB either.  I think its imperative for Nicks owners to grab Randle.

I understand the thought, but why waste a pick on someone that I've rarely seen drafted in 10-12 team formats. You're better off grabbing someone in the last few rounds like a Michael Floyd or Ryan Broyles that MIGHT produce well even though they are on the bench.  Plus you'd always have the shot at picking up Randle IF Nicks goes down, IMO.

But more to the thread point, I like Bryce Brown in Chip Kelly's offense regardless of whether McCoy gets hurt. Kelly likes to be up tempo and use multiple RBs. I like Vick Ballard backing up the oft injured Bradshaw.
2 QB League / Non PPR / 4 pt Pass TD 6 Rush & Rec TD

QB: Vick
QB: Pryor / Bradford                
WR: DJax                
WR: Cobb                
WR: Mi Floyd, Givens          
RB: Spiller
RB: McCoy
TE: Graham, Ju Thomas
Flex: Ridley, Tate, Vereen, Gio Bernard
K: Hauschka
DEF: Streaming

#5 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'd say Mike Goodson to Ivory, Andre Brown to Wilson, Michael Bush to Forte and Bell to Reggie Bush.

View Postrraayy3, on 20 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#6 ZidaneValor

ZidaneValor

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't necessarily have to have a handcuff to my guy, but I really like drafting handcuffs in the mid-to-late rounds, because there are always a bunch that have to get starts by the time the bye weeks run around.

I'm biased as a Cowboys fan, but I like Joseph Randle as a handcuff.  The reason why is, Demarco Murray is being drafted in the RB18-RB20 range almost solely because he always misses games.  If the consensus was that Murray would play 16 games, he'd probably be taken 5 spots higher or so.  So if "we" assume Murray is going to miss games, why wouldn't his handcuff be drafted higher than RB53?

I don't think Tanner is a threat to Randle.  I believe Randle is the clear #2 in Dallas.  I'd probably take Randle in the mid-RB40s range.

#7 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostJHM_13, on 04 July 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I understand the thought, but why waste a pick on someone that I've rarely seen drafted in 10-12 team formats. You're better off grabbing someone in the last few rounds like a Michael Floyd or Ryan Broyles that MIGHT produce well even though they are on the bench.  Plus you'd always have the shot at picking up Randle IF Nicks goes down, IMO.

I would argue that right now is the perfect time to get him.  Being that he is going so late in drafts I don't see any reason for a Nicks owner to not use a last round pick or a second to last round pick on randle and stash him.  This is where you get him cheap.  If you wait and Nicks gets hurt you better hope you are #1 on the WW or be prepared to spend a ton of FAAB.  Now is the time to grab him cheap.  

While this is a more extreme example because I'm convinced AP is made of solid steel I would also advocate stashing Toby Gerhart on your bench in deeper leagues.  Chances are AP doesn't get hurt but in the event he does there is no competition for Gerhart touches and you watch his stock fly sky high.   That's only for deeper leagues or 12 teamers with a TON of BN spots.

#8 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

I said this over in the Lynch thread, but if/when Christine Michael gets his chance, you will want to be the one rostering him in your league.  I know a lot of people expect Turbin to retain backup duties but just wait till this guy gets his chance to show what he's working with in the preseason.  I fully expect Michael to overtake Turbin as Lynch's backup.
2013 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Marcus Lattimore
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter
TE's-Julius Thomas, Dennis Pitta
K's-Steven Hauschka
DL's-Ziggy Ansah, Chandler Jones
LB's-Daryl Washington, Bobby Wagner
DB's-Reshad Jones, Tyvon Branch

#9 ForteDaysandForteNights

ForteDaysandForteNights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

I know I say this a lot but I can't see Turbin being overtaken as the clear cut back up this year. I think people tend to underestimate his talent.

From all indications their zone blocking scheme isn't an easy system to jump straight into and Turbin has a year on the competition in getting a feel for the offense. Reports from the OTAs have said that he looks a lot more at home in the system and looks like a player transformed. Even their running back coach has said the only way Michael gets a heavy load is if Lynch and Turbin get hurt.They like what they saw in him last year.

I'm not saying Christine Michael isn't the future of the Seahawks run game because the guy is crazy talented, but franchises like the Seahawks don't draft for the present, that's why they draft so well. For a team with the unique window they have of a talented Quarterback at rookie wages, if Lynch goes down I can't see them rushing someone into the job over a more experinced guy who has proven he can be effective in the system.

Well that's my opinion anyway!
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB - Russell Wilson
RB- Marshawn Lynch
RB- Reggie Bush
WR- Wes Welker
WR- A.J Green
TE- Jordan Cameron
Flex- Keenan Allen
D/ST - Tampa Bay
K - Justin Tucker

#10 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

Pete Carrol plays talent.  Wilson playing over Flynn when they paid him speaks to that.  Michael might have the most raw talent of all the RB's on their roster, Lynch included.  Talent rises, Michael will overtake Turbin.
2013 Fantasy Football 12 Team Dynasty League 0.5 PPR All TD's 6pts IDP (2DL, 2LB, 2DB)

QB's-Jay Cutler
RB's-Adrian Peterson, C.J. Spiller, Zac Stacy, Christine Michael, Marcus Lattimore
WR's-Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Keenan Allen, Terrance Williams, Da'Rick Rogers, Justin Hunter
K's-Steven Hauschka

#11 ForteDaysandForteNights

ForteDaysandForteNights

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Pete Carrol also rewards the guys that perform for him on the field. That's why Kam Chancellor got a big pay day despite being an arguably replaceable part of their defense. They look after those who play well and earn their starts

Michael hasn't played an NFL down. No one knows how he will transition to the NFL. Turbin earned the job, I think it's an even competition, but its his to lose.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB - Russell Wilson
RB- Marshawn Lynch
RB- Reggie Bush
WR- Wes Welker
WR- A.J Green
TE- Jordan Cameron
Flex- Keenan Allen
D/ST - Tampa Bay
K - Justin Tucker

#12 Alfonz289

Alfonz289

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

This will be one of the biggest training camp/preseason battles to watch.  I just know what I saw when watching the combine.  Michael's athletic ability is through the atmosphere.

QB's-Jay Cutler
K's-Steven Hauschka

#13 Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I like LeShoure as a handcuff for Bush in DET and Shane Vereen seems like a must-own with all the questions in NE. Giovani Bernard, if he is considered a handcuff, has been going high than BenJarvus in most of the drafts I've seen. Vick Ballard seems like a smart handcuff too even though Bradshaw plays through most of his injuries.
And would you rather have Kendall Hunter or LaMichael James in SF? Or does Frank Gore make it through another season and Marcus Lattimore take over next season?
10 team PPR Dynasty - keep 18, draft 4 - QB, 2WR, 2RB, TE, 2W/R/T
Stafford, Vick, Roethlisberger
Calvin, Roddy, Demaryius, Blackmon, Stephen Hill
Rice, Sproles, Bradshaw, Hillman, LeShoure, Daryl Richardson
Jimmy Graham, Owen Daniels

#14 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think Bell is more of a cuff for Bush than LeShoure is.  Hell I'm shocked Bush was even signed seeing how Bell was top 5 for RB receptions last year (52) with 9.2 ypr (up there with guys like Sproles & Martin) and had 5.0 ypc when handed the ball on top of spending literally the entire off season at the Lion's facility.   *shrug*

Don't forget about L.Murray & J.Forsett as high upside 'cuffs.

#15 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostGottaGetTheWin, on 04 July 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostJHM_13, on 04 July 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I understand the thought, but why waste a pick on someone that I've rarely seen drafted in 10-12 team formats.

I would argue that right now is the perfect time to get him.  Being that he is going so late in drafts I don't see any reason for a Nicks owner to not use a last round pick or a second to last round pick on randle and stash him.

ADP is 13.09, normally handcuffing WR doesn't make a ton of sense but in this case it most certainly does.
GO VIKES!!!!!!!

#16 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

Im not a big fan of the handcuff strategy, its kinda like getting insurance on your blackjack.  I would rather draft handcuffs from other RB's and hope they get hurt and my guys fall into a job.  Whats interesting in an auction is when you call handcuffs out first, before the starter has been called.  Handcuffs also seem to vary in our league value and price in auction wise, I know two years ago it was crazy expensive, I was getting low level starters close to what guys were paying for cuffs, last year it was pretty much the opposite, I got a bunch of  cuffs for $1-2 each: Torrain, Pierce, Ballard and Felix Jones.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#17 SpartanEric

SpartanEric

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostAlfonz289, on 05 July 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

Pete Carrol plays talent.  Wilson playing over Flynn when they paid him speaks to that.  Michael might have the most raw talent of all the RB's on their roster, Lynch included.  Talent rises, Michael will overtake Turbin.

It's not all about talent at RB.  David Wilson was the most talented runner for NYG last year but never sniffed being the man.  

You have to be able to pass protect, period.  Teams are not going to let their Franchise QB's get trucked because some rook is in there and whiffs on his assignment.  You could have Usain Bolt back there and it wouldn't matter.  Also -- Fumbling.  Put it on the turf as a rook and your a** is hitting the pine.  

That said, I have no idea about the blocking abilities of Michael.  Just that most often, it takes a little time for young guys to pick up on everything in the NFL as their responsibilties triple.

#18 drccroucher

drccroucher

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Been doing a few Yahoo Mocks. I've had some success picking up my RB's handcuffs but I've also had success picking up RB starters as my RB3/RB4.

Any thoughts on my RB decisions?

#19 drccroucher

drccroucher

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

What if you're lucky enough to grab another RB Starter as your RB3 and/or RB4? I've done a lot of mocks on Yahoo and I've noticed some RB Starters going in the 5th/6th rounds like Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Le'Veon Bell & Eddie Lacy. I'm sure some of these guys will outperform some handcuffs (if they were promoted to Starter) this season. WR's are pretty deep, so why not take a chance with this approach.

Any thoughts?

#20 egomaniac247

egomaniac247

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's a no brainer to take Lamar Miller, David Wilson, LeVeon Bell as your RB3 if they're there.

Handcuffs are typically available much later than when you take your RB3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users