Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Summer League 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 SundayKindofLove

SundayKindofLove

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Didn't see one already up. Kicks off tmrw, Sunday @ Orlando

Here's a post that does a nice job evaluating some of the youngsters going in:

http://hangtime.blog...-summer-league/

Edited by SundayKindofLove, 06 July 2013 - 07:03 PM.

"He hears the crescendoing last chords of the national anthem and sees the great open horseshoe of the grandstand and that unfolding vision of the grass that always seems to mean he has stepped outside his life - the rubbed shine that sweeps and bends from the raked dirt of the infield out to the high green fences. It is the excitement of a revealed thing."

#2 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

The Pacers also have Christian Watford (IU) and Julian Mavunga (Miami-OH), who was Gordon Hayward's HS teammate at Brownsburg. Both were solid college players. Possible end of the bench guys but guys who could play in the league in the right situation. Watford is going to play for Dallas later in the month in the Las Vegas league.

#3 SundayKindofLove

SundayKindofLove

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Houston - Phillies Game:
Terrence Jones 24 pts, 12 rebs, 5 TOs
Michael Carter Williams: 26 pts, 8 assists, 5 rebs, 9 TOs
"He hears the crescendoing last chords of the national anthem and sees the great open horseshoe of the grandstand and that unfolding vision of the grass that always seems to mean he has stepped outside his life - the rubbed shine that sweeps and bends from the raked dirt of the infield out to the high green fences. It is the excitement of a revealed thing."

#4 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Is there anyway to watch these games online? I tried signing into my NBA-LP but apparently my subscription has expired.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#5 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Olynyk playing great. Scoring in lots of different ways.
I play fantasy sports

#6 TrigPyramid

TrigPyramid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Olynyk showed an impressive offensive skill set but got tossed around like a wet napkin on the defensive end.

Oladipo played an all around complete game and had some SICK offensive moves in his arsenal. He did miss a few easy layups and banked an awkward 20 from nearly straight away.

12 Team H2H
Mike Conley, Isaiah Thomas

Eric Bledsoe, Danny Green

Carmelo Anthony, Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, Wilson Chandler

LeMarcus Aldridge, Ryan Anderson

Marcin Gortat

#7 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Olynyk showed an impressive offensive skill set but got tossed around like a wet napkin on the defensive end.

Oladipo played an all around complete game and had some SICK offensive moves in his arsenal. He did miss a few easy layups and banked an awkward 20 from nearly straight away.

Kelly Olynyk, in my opinion, has a pretty bright future ahead of him in the NBA. He will either be an average starter or an above average 1st big off the bench. Unlike 95% of big men who come into the league with an incomplete game, he has to grow on the defensive end, and has the offensive part of his game worked out. I think serviceable positional defense is infinitely easier to teach a guy than becoming a dynamic scorer. Also, the guy is 7'0" 240lbs which is a little thin, but he just turned 22 y/o and he had a late growth spurt. He was 6'3" up until junior/senior year of his when he grew like 8" in 2 years. I think I've mentioned on here before that I'm a doctor, and typically, kids that go through late spurts like that typically don't reach their steady adult weight until their mid 20's (kids with earlier spurts usually plateau around 20-22). I could easily see him putting on another 20lbs of good weight which would definitely help on the defensive end. First game in summer league put up 25p 7r 2a 2st 2three in 26 min.

As for Oladipo, I love the potential this guy has and I'm definitely targeting him in drafts. He seems to really have that killer instinct that can't be taught. Do you guys think he'll be the top player from this draft? It definitely wouldn't surprise me. First game in the summer league he put up 18p 6r 7a 5st 2threes in 32 min.

#8 PG31

PG31

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Olynyk wearing #41 channeling Dirk, good game by him. Dipo filling up the stat sheet looking good playing PG today.

Olynyk 25 & 7 w/ 2 ORB, 6 fouls though

Oladipo 18-6-7, 6 turnovers though

Edited by PG31, 07 July 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#9 PG31

PG31

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Oladipo also had 5 steals

#10 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Quite excited for the Klynyk to put on a clinic in Boston this season!

#11 patentboy23

patentboy23

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Drummond: 12 pts 16 rebounds 6 blocks! B) 2-9 FT though -_-

12 team h2h 12 cat (FGM, FTM, O Rebs, D Rebs)

PG- M. Conley, J. Lin

SG- Danny Green

SF- T. Jones, D. Carroll, D. Gallinari

PF- A. Davis, L. Aldridge, D. Nowitzki

C- A. Horford, D. Favors, R. Lopez

14 team h2h 9 cat

PG- R. Westbrook, R. Jackson

SG- D. Wade, J. Green, 

SF- P. Pierce, C. Brewer, Marcus Morris

PF- L. Aldridge, D. Nowitzki, D. West

C-  D. Favors, A. Bogut, J. Valanciunas

#12 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Quite excited for the Klynyk to put on a clinic in Boston this season!

... or more likely a KOlynyk (Colonic)
I play fantasy sports

#13 sya

sya

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

As i have mentioned in the rookies and draft thread, i think oladipo will definitely be the best player in this draft. I like this guy's game regardless which team he plays for. Even if orlando doesnt trade afflalo, this guy will force his way into playing major minutes. Hus iffense is very underrated, he has good handles for his size even in his off hand. His shooting mechanics seems to be nice also.

I won't be overly concerned with burke's shooting. No one os expecting him to shoot well. I like it that he has the confidence and green light to shoot even in an off day.

#14 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

I won't be overly concerned with burke's shooting. No one os expecting him to shoot well. I like it that he has the confidence and green light to shoot even in an off day.

It's just one game, but it's definitely not going to do much to alleviate concerns that the guy is too small. I feel like half the rookies and sophs that played today got slammed for living up to perceived holes in their games, but its only one day so far, really anyone could suck. Plus there's alot of nerves I'm sure.

#15 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

Burke is a very streaky shooter. Today's terrible shooting day can be contributed in part to his streaky shooting and in part due to I'm sure the nerves that he had with NBA prospects in front of him. He's actually a guy I see being close to 43-44% from the field overall. Today he hit his FT's and made for a solid line. I look for him to calm down and dominate the people I see playing in this league. Trey Burke is beyond most every guy in the summer league. Today's line didn't state it the way Oladipo's did, but he surely is.

Edited by nickalero99, 07 July 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#16 PG31

PG31

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Olynyk

Sun
25 & 7 w/ 2 ORB, 6 fouls though
Mon
13-6-3 w/ 5 stls, 1 blk, 1 3pt
Today
21-9-4 w/ 3 orb, 1 blk

#17 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Olynyk

Sun
25 & 7 w/ 2 ORB, 6 fouls though
Mon
13-6-3 w/ 5 stls, 1 blk, 1 3pt
Today
21-9-4 w/ 3 orb, 1 blk

And the only reason Monday's stats were low was because the game was a blowout and Olynyk played only 21 minutes or so. The kid is ultra efficient and smart, and he's already getting Dirk Nowitzki comparisons. Now, that's definitely a stretch IMO, but he's definitely got serious potential.

#18 KnicksSeasonTix23

KnicksSeasonTix23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

How is his defense? I don't know anything about him aside from the fact that hes tall and has three point range. Can someone elaborate on his game.
I am he who is called I am.

#19 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,886 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

How is his defense? I don't know anything about him aside from the fact that hes tall and has three point range. Can someone elaborate on his game.

He shot 30% from the college line from 3, I wouldn't really say he has 3-point range. His defense is not a strength. He's a fairly weak post defender. He was an excellent offensive player in college and should have the opportunity to get minutes with the Celts so definitely one to keep an eye on.

#20 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

His defense is one of his biggest question marks, but his man-to-man defense has actually been stellar so far. Surprisingly, he can stand his ground very well and can absorb a lot of blows to his body. His lateral movement is absolutely awful, however, and he cannot cover a pick-and-roll to save his life right now. His weak side rotations are decent but he could do better. That being said, this is Summer League after all, and the most talented frontcourt players he's been matched up against so far is arguably Nicholson and O'Quinn on the Magic.

His three-point range is actually a very new addition to his already diverse offensive skillset. Like nickalero99 pointed out above, he was only a 30% perimeter shooter in college, and he really only started picking it up during the draft combine after many teams identified him as a possible stretch big. What's really impressive is Olynyk incorporated the three so quickly into his game that it's almost mind-blowing. In his workout with the Utah Jazz, he sank 63 of 100 three's. If my memory serves me correct, I believe reading that 63 three's is the second most drained three's in the combine by any position! Watching him in the Summer League, his form and release just looks so pure and it's almost dumbfounding to think that this is something he's really only worked on for a few months.

Of course, earlier I mentioned that he already had a very polished offensive game even without the three-point shot. He can get you in the mid-range, he can spin around for an up-and-under, he can pump fake you out in one direction and go up in the other, he can fadeaway, he can take and make the hook shot, and hell... I just can't emphasize enough how much variety he can throw at you on the offensive end. There's a reason why his offense alone had many scouts pegging him as one of the most NBA-ready players out of the draft. He grew up primarily playing the point guard position, even after going through a crazy growth spurt in his junior year of high school. That's why his offense is so smooth, since his ballhandling and agility is incredible for a legitimate 7-footer.

Entering the draft, his two biggest weaknesses were his defense, and his low ceiling because at 22 years old, many scouts didn't think he had much more to offer. Of course, like I've already covered, his defense is more passable than bad, and his astounding development of a perimeter game clearly shows he has some more tricks up his sleeves. I would make a comparison for him, but with his unique background, it's simply impossible. I mean, I've heard things from Luis Scola to Andrea Bargnani all the way up to Dirk Nowitzki.

Being a Boston fan, I was initially very disappointed in us moving up to grab Olynyk. We already have a superfluous amount of PFs and I wasn't sure he could handle NBA-level centers - Ainge viewing him as a stretch-4 only compounded that concern. Furthermore, with all the scouts criticizing his defense and low ceiling, it was just a really boring pick to me. Obviously, I've been proven very, very wrong in a very, very short amount of time, and now I cannot wait to follow his development throughout the regular season.