260 replies to this topic

#1 fantasymad

fantasymad

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Giants just locked him up, getting a great discounted rate in the process. Nice job balking at overpaying him.

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the deal contains $15.6 million guaranteed. Per our contract database, Cruz is now the NFL's 17th-highest-paid wide receiver in annual average ($7.65 million). The G-Men have Cruz under control through his age-31 season, and he'll be able to hit free agency in 2019. It's a great deal for the Giants, who balked at paying Cruz's initial demands of over $10 million per year. Cruz emerged as the NFL's premier speed-slot receiver in 2011, finishing as the No. 4 fantasy wideout. He ranked 13th in 2012 and is locked in as a high-end WR2 entering the 2013 campaign.

#2 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

A little surprised he agreed to it, maybe he was impatient to get that $$$. Or Roc Nation isn't the best choice for a negotiation agency?
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#3 fantasymad

fantasymad

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

His endorsement money playing in NY and all that comes with that probably played a huge part in accepting the offer. I bet that is serious compensatory income.
  • Robrain and MySoxrRed like this

#4 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Very nice Cruz. Happy for him. Now lets have an elite 6 years of lots of superbowls. :)
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,745 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Great to see him getting locked up in Blue. I think he has a big season with Eli this year.
No Days Off

#6 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

I see two sides. Part of me says that late season slide leaves him undervalued this year. WR12 is a fair place to draft him, but he has tremendous upside. Another part of me says he had a lot of monster games supplanted by many games that were saved with a touchdown. His 6th highest yardage total in a game was 67. His 5 monster games accounted for 644 of his yards. Yes, most wide receivers are very inconsistent, but if Nicks IS healthy (hard to believe) and Cruz takes a dip to 6 or 7 td's..he looks a lot like a boom or bust wr. I'm just playing devils advocate here, and trying to look at both sides of the coin.

The more positive view, and my personal view, is that a late season fade isn't that relevant for him. He showed no fade in 2011 and will be 27 this season, right in his prime. Some of his ypc drop can be attributed to all of the injuries that forced the Giants to be creative and just get Victor the ball no matter what it meant (a lot more slants, curls, and short yardage throws just to make sure he got the ball). His ypc won't touch 18.7, but I could see him closer to 14ypc this year. He will still get force fed the ball with or without Nicks, there will just be more room to operate with Nicks healthy. Note that in the 5 games Nicks had 10+ targets, Cruz had 3 100+ yard games. I doubt Nicks holds up all year, but regardless look for the Giants to get Cruz the ball even more this year. PPR or non-ppr, this is a wr1 with the upside to finish top 5.

#7 SecondString

SecondString

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I see two sides. Part of me says that late season slide leaves him undervalued this year. WR12 is a fair place to draft him, but he has tremendous upside. Another part of me says he had a lot of monster games supplanted by many games that were saved with a touchdown. His 6th highest yardage total in a game was 67. His 5 monster games accounted for 644 of his yards. Yes, most wide receivers are very inconsistent, but if Nicks IS healthy (hard to believe) and Cruz takes a dip to 6 or 7 td's..he looks a lot like a boom or bust wr. I'm just playing devils advocate here, and trying to look at both sides of the coin.

The more positive view, and my personal view, is that a late season fade isn't that relevant for him. He showed no fade in 2011 and will be 27 this season, right in his prime. Some of his ypc drop can be attributed to all of the injuries that forced the Giants to be creative and just get Victor the ball no matter what it meant (a lot more slants, curls, and short yardage throws just to make sure he got the ball). His ypc won't touch 18.7, but I could see him closer to 14ypc this year. He will still get force fed the ball with or without Nicks, there will just be more room to operate with Nicks healthy. Note that in the 5 games Nicks had 10+ targets, Cruz had 3 100+ yard games. I doubt Nicks holds up all year, but regardless look for the Giants to get Cruz the ball even more this year. PPR or non-ppr, this is a wr1 with the upside to finish top 5.

Very good assessment, and I'm agreeing with your personal view. Nicks in the lineup does nothing but help Cruz to be the dynamo he was in 2011, I am targeting him in all leagues.

#8 Chef Man

Chef Man

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think at the end of the day you've just got to ask yourself: Is Cruz a stud/upper echelon NFL WR? Too many times I've burned myself in fantasy sports by splitting hairs over small factoids when in reality fantasy sports is mostly a crap shoot.

(ps: and to that question I am all in on Cruz in 2013)

Edited by Chef Man, 09 July 2013 - 11:02 PM.

10 team. 1/2 point PPR.

QB: Brees
WR: Calvin
WR: Cobb
RB: Gore
RB: Sproles
TE: Gronk
FLEX: Maclin
DEF: Seattle
K: Gostkowski

BN: T.Y. Hilton, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Gordon, T-Rich, Darren McFadden, Kyle Rudolph

#9 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

We are all screwed
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Beltre SS-Boaegerts OF-Puig,Craig,Calhoun
SP-Kershaw,Cueto,Ventura,Burnett,Arietta,Odorizzi,Smyly
BN-Peralta,Crisp
DL-Holland,Victorino,Crawford,N.Walker

#10 wengweng805

wengweng805

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

injury bug strikes again

#11 instant290

instant290

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

How bad did it look?

#12 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

How bad did it look?

non contact so id assume hes done for the year
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Beltre SS-Boaegerts OF-Puig,Craig,Calhoun
SP-Kershaw,Cueto,Ventura,Burnett,Arietta,Odorizzi,Smyly
BN-Peralta,Crisp
DL-Holland,Victorino,Crawford,N.Walker

#13 Knicks2689

Knicks2689

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

How bad did it look?

non contact so id assume hes done for the year

He came out of the locker room minutes later in a T-shirt so who knows...

#14 Knicks2689

Knicks2689

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Victor Cruz bruised heel.

#15 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Bruised heel seems like a weird analysis. I'm going to take a look at the plays leading up to him going off the field. I don't remember him getting hit or doing anything that would have bruised his heel...

Nevermind, it's blacked out on NFL Preseason Live right now because it's a nationally televised game. Have to wait a few days to take a look at it, since I didn't DVR the game.

Edited by Robrain, 18 August 2013 - 07:23 PM.

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#16 Knicks2689

Knicks2689

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Bruised heel seems like a weird analysis. I'm going to take a look at the plays leading up to him going off the field. I don't remember him getting hit or doing anything that would have bruised his heel...

Nevermind, it's blacked out on NFL Preseason Live right now because it's a nationally televised game. Have to wait a few days to take a look at it, since I didn't DVR the game.

He got tangled up or whatever on the deep ball Eli threw that was called pass interference

#17 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

He got tangled up or whatever on the deep ball Eli threw that was called pass interference

I'd have to go back and look to know what you're referring to, but if you're talking about the pass in the back-left corner of the endzone, which was originally called Pass Interference, but then got changed to "no penalty", that was Ramses Barden.

#18 AQuebman

AQuebman

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

I think Cruz will be fine a little banged up is okay but I expect the Giants to have a big year. Every year people aren't talking about them they crush it.

Edited by AQuebman, 18 August 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#19 andyz

andyz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Giants are going to be terrible. Avoid drafting any of them

#20 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

If this is the play you're referring to:

1-10-NYG 45 (13:57) E.Manning pass incomplete deep middle to V.Cruz. PENALTY on IND-G.Toler, Defensive Pass Interference, 39 yards, enforced at NYG 45 - No Play.

That was the 3rd play of the game. I believe Victor Cruz limped off on the following drive while running a slant route in the end zone.

NFLVR@NFLVR1h
Re-watched Giants Victor Cruz: ran deep route, left game for one play, ran two more routes w/ no visible limp. On sideline in street clothes

Edited by Robrain, 18 August 2013 - 07:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users