Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Jose Tabata 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 quemortal

quemortal

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Relevant again in deeper leagues? Average up over .300, batting second in the order, barring a trade the RF job seems to be his to lose.

Edited by quemortal, 08 July 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#2 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hm, really? When did he take the job? I'll have to look into this. I mean, I have a logjam in the OF on one team as is, and my other team is set well too... but owning McCutchen, it wouldn't hurt to look into Tabata or put him on my watch list or something...

I was very high on him heading into last season. His failure to contribute or take that step forward is kind of what scared me off from Marte this year (in 2011 I had owned Tabata, then drafted him last year; I owned Marte, but couldn't pull the trigger to draft him this year and risk another Tabata.... but I digress....).

It would be nice to see him playing well, especially for the Pirates right now since they truly do need a right fielder. Is Snider just out of the picture then?.... I mean, I didn't think he was going to stick... but yeah.

Interesting to see the name Jose Tabata... kind of like a Jeremy Hermida of sorta-- he seemed to be done as quick as he entered the league, almost... but then I remember just how young he still is. Hoping he does well in his role.... will be monitoring him.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#3 quemortal

quemortal

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:40 AM

He's started every game since his return last Wednesday, hitting a Puig-like .429 in six games, so I wouldn't worry about Snider for the time being. He's worth keeping an eye on if he sticks in the two-hole between Marte and McCutchen.

#4 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Big time lottery ticket. Pittsburg LOVES to run, hitting 2nd. He's got some power, and can definetly hit .300.

#5 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Tabata's getting his nth shot at the RF job due to the useless performances of Travis Snider, Garrett Jones, Alex Pressley, etc

I'm not expecting much but if he can hit .280 he should keep the job and provide runs. He is a terrible base runner (8 SBs in 2012 with 12 CS).

#6 CocoaButter

CocoaButter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

He IS their starting RF unless he gets injured. Travis Snider is one of the worst OF in the ML. He has a .631 OPS and very little range fielding. Hitting between Marte and Cutch is pretty sweet. OF is not the thinnest position obviously, but you can definitely do worse ROS if you're in a deep league or crushed with injuries.

#7 CocoaButter

CocoaButter

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

He is a terrible base runner (8 SBs in 2012 with 12 CS).

I cringe at these kind of stats. Why do people just choose to omit other seasons? In 2010 and 2011, he had 37 SB to 14 CS.

#8 oldwolf

oldwolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Added him last week for Schierholtz. Pleased with results so far.

#9 whips02

whips02

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,627 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

He plays everyday right? I have him on my watch list

#10 overkill94

overkill94

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

I've had him all year in my NL-only and he started off as more of a platoon player but once Snider slumped he started taking away at-bats against righties, but then he got hurt. Snider totally took a dump while he was out so they were glad to hand over RF to him once he got back and he has responded pretty well.

That being said, he doesn't seem to be running much this year, one reason might be that he got hurt on his first steal of the year. With his talent and (hopefully) clear path to playing time in the 2nd half he could put up double-digit steals and homers, but realistically you're looking at a .280 average with 5 steals and 5 homers (plus good run totals hitting 2nd).

#11 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

I think Tabata has alot of untapped power. We could see a tonnne of a doubles.

#12 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

I have added him in one league, but am trying to figure out a way for him in another now. I am thoroughly impressed from the few AB I have seen thus far. I know I am not the best person to give an "eye test" or anything, but he looks a lot more confident at the plate. I would say he has the floor of what Eric Young Jr. is doing minus some SB and plus some HR, but a lot more potential. And I agree that doubles could come in bunches with this guy. He always was projected to be a gap hitter, wasn't he?

Floor: Eric Young Jr.
Base: Jose Altuve?.... (can't think of anyone else, but this seems fair to me)
Ceiling: Carlos Gomez (a guy with a somewhat similar skill-set who took a long time* to put it all together, but seems to finally have done so and is basically what I was waiting for a guy like, say, Chris Young to become for years....)

Trying to think of similar players. Truthfully, unless he finds what 20+2 found and starts hitting dingers out of nowhere, I don't think he will ever translate into much more than a 10-15 HR (and I mean pushing 15 in his best years) hitter, but if he can show he has that gap power still that was supposed to translate into more home runs over time. I remember one of his first or maybe the first full year in the Yankees system he had 450+ PA without a single home run in the minors... I just don't see the power coming on now, this far down the road-- but who knows? *As I said above above... he could be another Gomez. Honestly, I would be happy with 7 HR if he could steal 30 and hit .300. Seriously, those guys are undervalued and go under the radar, but they're the types of players that help me win leagues.

Consistency is the key with this guy, though. If he hits, he isn't losing the job, and yeah... that spot is a hole for them. If they can get production, as long as he keeps it up without a huge slump, since he has earned a little leverage looking at his recent numbers and past few game logs..... I think he could keep the job all year.

Anyone wanna speculate on what the ROS will look like? If even for fun.

#13 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

As two others said above, I expect good run total from where he's hitting, and moderate power with 10+ SB at least (so long as he can run a little bit in that 2-hole, or isn't hurt?) the rest of the season if he keeps the starting job. .285 with a .330 OBP, 5-7 HR and 10-15 SB seems plausible...

I also agree that he is a lotto ticket in the sense that he could do a lot more. I don't think he's going to just go nuts like Gomez, but this is a name to file away for next year as well as a post-hype sleeper if any of your leagues have managers who sleep on guys like this. I could name so many post-hype sleepers who went dirt-cheap in leagues this year and finally broke out... so I'm starting to think there is no science with some players. 27 is a random number too, but everyone says that's around the time players breakout... going on just 25, I guess sometimes I forget just how young he is still. He could be a great post-hype sleeper next year as long as he doesn't go insane this year. Keep that in mind...

#14 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Sitting 2nd day in a row. Is the run over?
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence