212 replies to this topic

#1 Boombox

Boombox

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hard to hate Jones this year, but lots of mouths to feed. I'm ranking him behind Nelson and Cobb, is that the majority opinion?

#2 cpdaly

cpdaly

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

That is definitely the pecking order in GB, and remember, Finley will steal targets in that offense as well... That said, he has been a guy Rodgers looks to for big plays in the redzone and down the field on seam routes, so he does carry value as a low end #3 or high end #4 WR...
I'm not scared. I'm scared for the town. Because once I go out, women will fall and men will start wailing.

#3 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I'd draft him nothing more than a WR4 honestly which is why he likely won't be on any of my teams. Like it was said earlier, a lot of mouths to feed and I highly doubt he repeats his TD totals which is where his real value was.

And I'm still pissed about last year. Traded him for Willis McGahee. 2 1/2 quarters later McGahee is on IR and this guy is on his way to knocking me out in the first round with one of his 3 TD games. 100% luck right?!
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

RW Mock Real League - 14 team, 6 point all TDs, .5 ppr(slow drafting)
QB: Philip Rivers
RB1: Reggie Bush
RB2: Pierre Thomas
WR1: Dez Bryant
WR2: Jordy Nelson
W/R/T: Alshon Jeffery
W/R/T: Cecil Shorts III
TE: Jason Witten
DST:
Bench: Travaris Cadet, Ahmad Bradshaw

#4 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:14 AM

I suspect all three of these guys will end up with around 10 TDs on the year. Jones will be the most risky because his yardage totals will probably be the lowest of the three.
Yahoo League (Champion!) (10-3 record / 1st in Standings & Points) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Peyton Manning, Arian Foster, Eddie Lacy, LeVeon Bell, Giovani Bernard, Ben Tate, Montee Ball, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Greg Jennings, Julius Thomas, Karlos Dansby, Arizona D.

ESPN League (Runner Up!) (9-4 record / 1st in Standings & Points) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Tannehill, Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, MJD, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Michael Bush, James Starks, Knile Davis, Antonio Gates, Mason Crosby, Bengals D.

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostBoombox, on 09 July 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Hard to hate Jones this year, but lots of mouths to feed. I'm ranking him behind Nelson and Cobb, is that the majority opinion?
I look at guys like Jones (who I owned) and just dont see the sustainability.  He really maximized his targets into TD's and I just dont think thats sustainable, not to say it couldnt happen again but not something Im going to bank on and overvalue him in the auction.  On the flip side, he does have a good rapport with Rodgers and would I be shocked if he got more targets throughout the game and put up better overall numbers not just the unsustainable TD numbers?  No.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 Rixsta

Rixsta

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Jones has never scored more than 7 TDs in a season before last year & I think he only scored that many because Jennings & Driver were both out. Personally I think R.Cobb is the best WR to own in GB this year followed by J.Nelson.  We are starting to see a lot of Slot receivers like R.Cobb, P.Harvin, W.Welker & V.Cruz being a Top option on their teams & in Fantasy as well.

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostRixsta, on 10 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Jones has never scored more than 7 TDs in a season before last year & I think he only scored that many because Jennings & Driver were both out. Personally I think R.Cobb is the best WR to own in GB this year followed by J.Nelson.  We are starting to see a lot of Slot receivers like R.Cobb, P.Harvin, W.Welker & V.Cruz being a Top option on their teams & in Fantasy as well.
I would tend to agree, the only part I keep going back and forth on is those guys value in a structure that is say .5 PPR with length of TD bonus (.1 per yard of TD length) it really makes the guys who can get in the end zone more valuable, those guys who rack up the catches between the 20's get a little diminished in our format.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#8 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm buying.  This is the guy that consistently comes out of nowhere every single freaking year and causes Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings owners to pull their hair out multiple weeks.

Given center stage, I think there's like an 80% chance of him breaking double digit TD's again this season.

He's clearly a solid WR, and he proved last year that he is reliable (something Finley has NOT proven).

Finley's once again in a contract year, but because he's guaranteed nothing beyond this season, I think there's a 50% chance they begin to phase him out if they don't intend to resign him / the other aspects of their passing game are working fluidly.

Basically, I think there's almost a chance that they've decided to replace Finley with Randall Cobb.  Not exactly, but in the sense of, Cobb is the one that will create their matchup problems, and they'll find a different TE to fill THAT mismatch role after this season (assuming they don't bring Finley back).

I'll be taking a late-round gamble on Finley (10.03 ADP in 12-team leagues), but I'll be targeting James Jones as my WR3 in all formats.  If their ADP wasn't so high, I'd be gathering up multiple Packers WR's this season and possibly starting 2 (Jordy/Jones or Jordy/Cobb or Cobb/Jones) every week.

View PostHolben, on 20 July 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Jackie Battle...Better than Chris Johnson...

Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 12-Team PPR (Teamname: "Maniac Allstars"):
QB: Andrew Luck
WR1: Calvin Johnson - WR2: Torrey Smith - Bench: Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles
RB1: Mikel LeShoure - RB2: Dexter McCluster - Bench: Montario Hardesty, Kevin Smith
TE: Dennis Pitta
FLEX: Tony Gonzalez
K: Greg Zuerlein

#9 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostRixsta, on 10 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Agreed, he could easily go back to his 650-750 yards receiving with only 7 TDs like he had in 2011. There are other guys in his range who I feel have more upside or are safer picks imo.

Edited by Prea, 10 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#10 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Cobb: Target Hog
Nelson and Jones: Robert Meachem sans value
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#11 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

The guy has never broke 800 yards, even with Jennings and Nelson missing tons of games last season.

DocJ's rule #12 of fantasy football: Never chase outlying gaudy td numbers from the previous season. AKA the Dwayne Bowe rule.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts

Draft currently in progress in "Your League" Forum

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Cordarrelle Patterson (4.09)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF:
K:

Bench: Golden Tate (7.06), LeGarrette Blount (9.06)

#12 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostProteus, on 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I think Rodgers will throw enough (and obviously is good enough) that it won't be a case of Cobb being THE definitive target hog.  I think that offense honestly can support 2 receiving targets easily, potentially 3.  Maybe not consistently week-to-week,

As talented as Jordy is, he's just one year younger than James Jones.  I don't think Jordy necessarily has a leg up on Jones in the battle to replace Greg Jennings.  Jordy went from a 68 / 1,263 / 15 TD lne to a 49 / 745 / 7 TD line.

Meanwhile James Jones hasn't been bad in limited usage: 32 / 5, 50 / 5, 38 / 7, 64 / 14.  It wouldn't surprise me if both Jordy and James Jones reached 10 TDs each.  That would be in addition to Randall Cobb hitting double-digit TDs as well.  Rodgers put up 45 passing TDs in 2011, and 39 in 2012.  He also scored 3 rushing TDs in 2011, and 2 in 2012.  Plenty of TDs for the top 2 or 3 WR's on that team.

For comparison, Drew Brees had 46 and 43 passing TDs the past two seasons, but before that, he never reached even 35 passing TDs in a single season.

Seeing how Rodgers doesn't have Jimmy Graham + Darren Sproles, I'd imagine more TDs get thrown to the GB WR's as opposed to the TE's or the RB's.

WR1: Calvin Johnson - WR2: Torrey Smith - Bench: Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles
RB1: Mikel LeShoure - RB2: Dexter McCluster - Bench: Montario Hardesty, Kevin Smith

#13 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostRobrain, on 10 July 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostProteus, on 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I think Rodgers will throw enough (and obviously is good enough) that it won't be a case of Cobb being THE definitive target hog.  I think that offense honestly can support 2 receiving targets easily, potentially 3.  Maybe not consistently week-to-week,

As talented as Jordy is, he's just one year younger than James Jones.  I don't think Jordy necessarily has a leg up on Jones in the battle to replace Greg Jennings.  Jordy went from a 68 / 1,263 / 15 TD lne to a 49 / 745 / 7 TD line.

Meanwhile James Jones hasn't been bad in limited usage: 32 / 5, 50 / 5, 38 / 7, 64 / 14.  It wouldn't surprise me if both Jordy and James Jones reached 10 TDs each.  That would be in addition to Randall Cobb hitting double-digit TDs as well.  Rodgers put up 45 passing TDs in 2011, and 39 in 2012.  He also scored 3 rushing TDs in 2011, and 2 in 2012.  Plenty of TDs for the top 2 or 3 WR's on that team.

For comparison, Drew Brees had 46 and 43 passing TDs the past two seasons, but before that, he never reached even 35 passing TDs in a single season.

Seeing how Rodgers doesn't have Jimmy Graham + Darren Sproles, I'd imagine more TDs get thrown to the GB WR's as opposed to the TE's or the RB's.

I'm interested to see which WR (Jordy or Jones) ends up being the "official" replacement for Greg Jennings.  Assuming it's Jones, I definitely, definitely like his chances of getting 1,000+ receiving yards this year.

I don't remember if Jones has suffered m/any injuries, anyone else remember?  There was a rumor of a fractured foot I think, but besides that I'm drawing a blank.

#14 Prea

Prea

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostRobrain, on 10 July 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Jordy put up around the same receiving yards as Jones, despite missing 5 games and playing less than 100% due to hamstring issues. Nelson has put up 1200 yards, Jones has yet to reach 800. I definitely think you have to give the advantage to Jordy.

And while it is certainly possible that Jones puts up 10+ TDs again, I wouldn't count on it with any certainty. Jordy had 15 and Finley had 8 in 2011, Cobb could hit 10+. If Nelson and Cobb managed to grab 12 or so each, Finley grabbed 5, their other WRs/TEs grab 2-4, Jones could easily end up with 7 or 8. And while their RBs had 0 last year I wouldn't be surprised if their upgraded RBs in Lacy and Franklin grabbed a few. But TDs are unpredictable so who knows how it goes, but I wouldn't be overly excited to grab a guy whose stats are largely dependent on TDs.

It's also possible Cobb, Jordy, and Jones all go for 1000+ and 10+ TDs though.

#15 ipg46

ipg46

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Dumpster Diving

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'll always bet on Rodgers throwing 40+ TDs so I like all his pass-catchers, but let's not forget that Green Bay may actually have a real running game for basically the first time in the last 4 years. The last time Green Bay had a 1000-yard rusher was in 2009 (Ryan Grant), and Rodgers threw just 30 TDs that year. Ryan Grant also rushed for 1000+ in 2008, and Rodgers threw 28 TDs that year.
Yahoo League (Champion!) (10-3 record / 1st in Standings & Points) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF, IDP / 6 pts all TDs / 1 point=50 pass yards or 15 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Peyton Manning, Arian Foster, Eddie Lacy, LeVeon Bell, Giovani Bernard, Ben Tate, Montee Ball, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Greg Jennings, Julius Thomas, Karlos Dansby, Arizona D.

ESPN League (Runner Up!) (9-4 record / 1st in Standings & Points) (12-teams / QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, FLX, K, DEF / 4 pts pass TDs; 6 pts all others / 1 point=20 pass yards or 10 rec yards or 10 rush yards): Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Tannehill, Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, MJD, Marques Colston, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Michael Bush, James Starks, Knile Davis, Antonio Gates, Mason Crosby, Bengals D.

#16 Major

Major

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

I get a sick feeling every time I see this guy available on the draft board. Can't bring myself to draft him. He had a good fantasy year but how long can you depend on 800 yards and double digit touchdowns on such an unpredictable offense? I don't think he's skilled enough to be relied on as a 1000 yard WR unless he's being force-fed, which he won't be.

#17 cpdaly

cpdaly

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Believe me- as a die hard packers can, I can tell you Jordy Nelson is the #2 WR (behind Cobb) to own on this team- and it's not even close.  Heck, if he stays healthy I think Nelson could replicate or even surpass the catches/yards he had in 2011 (he was on pace for similar numbers last season prior to injury).

Jones, while talented, has never put it all together for a full season.
I'm not scared. I'm scared for the town. Because once I go out, women will fall and men will start wailing.

#18 zindog

zindog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Jordy Nelson underwent knee surgery Monday and will be out 4-6 weeks.
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, doctors somehow still expect Nelson to be back for Week 1. The surgery is an attempt to correct an old nerve issue that's bothered him since college. Nelson did miss four games last year and was limited in a handful of others, but that was due to hamstring and ankle issues. He hasn't had any known knee flare-ups since 2009. Regardless, Nelson now appears highly unlikely to hit the ground running even if he does suit up against the Niners on Sept. 8. Randall Cobb, James Jones and Jermichael Finley all get a boost. Jarrett Boykin is the top candidate to replace Nelson in three-wide formations.

Could be a decent boost for Jones if this becomes chronic.

Edited by zindog, 07 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.

5X5 10 TEAM H2H
C- GATTIS---SP LEE,PRICE,COLE,ALVAREZ,SIMON,HUGHES,ROARK,RYU,WILSON                            
1B-CRAIG,DAVIS--- RP-SORIA,HAWKINS
2B-KIPNIS, ALTUVE
SS-TULO-- 3B-MCGEHEE,PRADO--OF-J.UPTON,STANTON,MARTE,GOMEZ,BRANTLEY,DAVIS

11X9 H2H 20 TEAM
C-MAUER---SP-NONE
1B-ENCARNACION,BELT---RP-SORIA,BELISARIO,DAVIS,MEDINA,WEBB
2B-UTLEY,BECKHAM,CARPENTER
SS-HANLEY,REYES -3B-PANDA,GILLASPIE----OF-BAUTISTA,KEMP,BRANTLEY,FOWLER,JONES,DAVIS
8X8 H2H 10 TEAM    SP-HAMELS,,TEHERAN,WAINO,HAREN,WILSON,ROARK,HUGHES
C-MOLINA,MCCANN,MESORACO--- RP-RONDON,BELISARIO,MEJIA,QUALLS
1B-MOSS,TEXIERA
2B-KINSLER
SS-SEGURA-- 3B-ZIMMERMAN,GILLASPIE---- OF-JUPTON,BRANTLEY,CHOO,DAVIS,MORSE,MELKY

#19 J.T. Marlin

J.T. Marlin

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

It's pretty funny that the Jordy Nelson injury was reported yesterday afternoon, yet the first post regarding this situation didn't go up on the James Jones thread didn't until about 10 minutes ago.  All the while, the Cobb thread has been going nuts (albeit with a little assistance from Robrain).  I hate to draft last season's TD outlier guys but JaJones sure seems to me to be undervalued at this point.

#20 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostJ.T. Marlin, on 07 August 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

It's pretty funny that the Jordy Nelson injury was reported yesterday afternoon, yet the first post regarding this situation didn't go up on the James Jones thread didn't until about 10 minutes ago.  All the while, the Cobb thread has been going nuts (albeit with a little assistance from Robrain).  I hate to draft last season's TD outlier guys but JaJones sure seems to me to be undervalued at this point.

I read these posts and I think the exact opposite. Since 2009 James Jones has played 16 games every season. Jordy Nelson and Cobb always seem to be dinged up. The Packers defense isn't getting any better resulting in passing the ball more than running. Cobb also isn't necessarily a TD threat(most slot machines aren't). I can see Jones going for 1000/10 which is amazing value where he is currently being drafted. Oh and the person who compared James Jones to Dewayne Bowe, um Aaron Rodgers or Matt Cassel 9 games, Tyler Palko 4 games, and Kyle Orton 3 games. I think you can bank on James Jones scoring TD's again this year.

https://www.youtube....h?v=FETWiX3JM1w
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Victor Martinez
2B - Martin Prado
SS - Eric Aybar
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
OF1 - Mike Trout
OF2 - Alex Rios
OF3 - Mike Morse
DH - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Votto, Plouffe, Gardner, Wong
SP1 - Stephen Strasburg
SP2 - Julio Teheran
SP3 - Corey Kluber
SP4 - Tyson Ross
SP5 - Henderson Alvarez
SP6 - Colon
P1 - Soria
RP1 - Krod RP2 - Doolittle
Bench - Volquez, Danks, Koehler, Miley, Stroman, Beckett, Collmenter, Happ, Tomlin, McHugh, Saunders, Butler, Workman, Rubby DLR, Chamberlain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users