273 replies to this topic

#1 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Gray got the call up today, and he's headed to the A's bullpen until further notice. Straily got demoted because the A's won't need a 5th starter until July 23rd.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#2 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Anything to see here?

#3 Wavier JunKie

Wavier JunKie

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 10 July 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Anything to see here?

Maybe if Colon gets suspended.  Otherwise it sounds like he will be used out of the pen.

#4 slainte

slainte

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

i'm stashing. . .at least for a bit. his K potential alone has tremendous upside. . .

#5 strahanfan92

strahanfan92

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostWavier JunKie, on 10 July 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 10 July 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Anything to see here?

Maybe if Colon gets suspended.  Otherwise it sounds like he will be used out of the pen.

Sounds like this is almost a certainty to happen, I'm thinking about picking up Grey in my 16 teamer.

#6 cizastro

cizastro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

I don't think it's a near certainty that Colon gets suspended.  He's already been suspended for PED use, so this whole Biogenisis (sp) deal would have to prove that he's been involved with PED's outside of the time he was caught.  He can't get busted twice for the same offense if it was a one-time deal.

#7 bmay

bmay

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

View Postcizastro, on 10 July 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

I don't think it's a near certainty that Colon gets suspended.  He's already been suspended for PED use, so this whole Biogenisis (sp) deal would have to prove that he's been involved with PED's outside of the time he was caught.  He can't get busted twice for the same offense if it was a one-time deal.
Not exactly. MLB will be suspending players who lied about having connections with Biogenesis. I don't think it's necessary that they used steroids from them.
14-team H2H Points League (weekly):
C - McCann
1B - Rizzo
2B - Cano
3B - Encarnacion
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Braun, Bruce, Hunter
DH - Seager
Bench - Beltran, Davis, Harper (DL), Polanco, Solarte

P - Bailey, Cain, Doolittle, Iwakuma, Kluber, Lynn, Quintana, Samardzija
Bench - De La Rosa, Holland (DL), Janssen, Kuroda, Liriano, Porcello, Smyly, Syndergaard (M)

#8 Golden Spikes

Golden Spikes

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

read this as Sasha Gray
5 man keeper 5x5 Roto 10 yrs running 3x Champ

C- Weiters   1B- Goldy (k)
2b- Hill SS- Hanley (k)
3B- Beltre (k)   CI- Encarnacion (k)
MI- Miller, Baez
OF- Cargo (k), Pence, Holliday
OF- Eaton, Soriano, KDavis

SP- Bumgarner, Cole, Wacha, Cashner
SP- Minor (dl), Yordanny, Archer, Ubaldo
RP- Holland, Roberston, Chapman (dl), Balfour
RP- Melancon, C.Martinez, Hoover

#9 slainte

slainte

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostGolden Spikes, on 10 July 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

read this as Sasha Gray

i'd drop my entire roster to pick her up. . .

. . .now that my erasmo ramirez has been called up, sonny was the next arm i was most excited about. hope he does well out of the pen and gets into the rotation soon.

anything regarding an innings limit with this kid?

Edited by slainte, 10 July 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#10 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

This guy looks pretty good. Fastball sitting @ 94.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#11 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostZ06vette, on 10 July 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Kept the ball down, had great control and good command of both his fastball (which touched 96 multiple times) and his breaking ball (a tight curve thrown around 85mph). I only saw the first inning he pitched, but he was uber dominant in those first three batters.

#12 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostBodhizefa, on 10 July 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

View PostZ06vette, on 10 July 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Kept the ball down, had great control and good command of both his fastball (which touched 96 multiple times) and his breaking ball (a tight curve thrown around 85mph). I only saw the first inning he pitched, but he was uber dominant in those first three batters.

I only saw the 6th inning, but yeah, he looks good.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#13 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Sonny Gray -- he has to be one of the more interesting stats vs stuff cases of the recent prospect lists I've seen. Except the funny thing is, his stuff is actually really good, but he gets knocked for things like being "too short to be successful at keeping the ball on the ground" and "not having a quality third pitch" while most prospect pundits overlook his actual standout abilities (such as excellent control/good command as well as two plus pitches in his 94-96 mph fastball and tight 85 mph dipping-and-diving curve.) And yet he comes on the mound in the big leagues for the first time and one of the first comments I see on an A's blog is "wow, he's short."

It's uncanny to me how the analytical tools of baseball scouting have still yet to transcend the archetypes of what a player should be like vs. what the player actually is on the field. I saw Sonny Gray pitch tonight and wondered how in the world the scouting universe could be so blind that they miss out on the abilities in front of their faces? Gray's debut reminded me of Johnny Cueto's first start in the big leagues where he decimated the D-backs, striking out 10 and eviscerating hitter hopes as easily as a cheese grater goes through a block of cheddar.

I know I'm on a soapbox here, so I'll climb off soon, but man, Gray looked excellent in his debut. Moneyball came out over a decade ago, and people are still clamoring more about what a player doesn't provide than what he does. For those who have only read the short scouting reports on Gray from the various prospect list outlets, here's a bit more to chew on: He's got a good fastball (94-96 mph) that he throws to either side of the plate and that he keeps down with ease. He's also got a plus power curve that he can throw for strikes at will and that also has a sharp, late break that will provide him with an easy punchout pitch (I call it a curve, by the way, but it does have some slider-like movement in it, too, which is probably why most reports on Gray lament on his lack of a third pitch -- the slightly angular break on his curve won't be as effective against lefties at the big league level since it doesn't have a faithful 12-6 break, the plane most associated with the smallest platoon splits). Regardless, his curve is a true out pitch. In many ways, though, Gray's command serves as his third "pitch". He can locate his fastball and curve anywhere in the zone when he's on.

I love that Gray is on the A's -- it's a perfect match. Beane deserves a guy like this. I have no idea if Gray can succeed as a starter longterm, but to me, for a debut outing, the dude showed some serious goods. Oh, and Gray's final pitch on Wednesday? An 80 mph change-up -- a pitch he's been working on all year -- that broke on the low right corner of the strike zone for a weak pop-up out. There's your third pitch, prospect analysts.

Edited by Bodhizefa, 11 July 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#14 pnoozi

pnoozi

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Caught some of the game last night... wow this dude has some lights out stuff.  Watch out.
Developer of the Highlights Chrome extension (currently unpublished, working on bringing it back).

#15 JerZee

JerZee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Supposed to be one of the top prospects for there system, ill stash him on my system oakland has done good grooming there pitching

#16 cizastro

cizastro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

His fastball looked good, his breaking stuff looked downright nasty.  I'd stash him if you have a chance.  He'll probably only serve as a reliever short-term, but if his stuff is that sharp every time out I think he's going to have a bright future.  I know it wasn't a nerve-wrecking situation he came into, but his stuff was very good.

#17 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Also thought his stuff looked good from looking at the highlights. Reminds me of a young Jake Peavy.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 11 July 2013 - 11:59 AM.

I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#18 AvonBarksdale

AvonBarksdale

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Whenever I see his name I think of Donnie Brasco.

#19 strahanfan92

strahanfan92

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

So he looks good, how's the forecast for moving into the rotation?

#20 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

View Poststrahanfan92, on 11 July 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

So he looks good, how's the forecast for moving into the rotation?

Less good. The A's have some of the better depth in all the majors at almost all positions, including starting pitchers. I don't think it's out of the question that Gray could end up in the rotation at some point, but it's probably going to take an injury or two (or some serious slumping by someone like Milone or Straily).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users